New Star Trek Page 143

• Page

of 179 First / Last

• lazymanschair 6 Dec 2012 10:38:56 27 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I thought the Enterprise was rising out of the water, not crashing. I took it that it was the Enterprise raining death down on that city, then again a lot of it was hard to make out, exciting though.
  • Deleted user 6 December 2012 10:39:19
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    How do you know it's the Enterprise?
    Fair point. But its shaped like the enterprise, and generally, they make other ships/classes look different from the main ship of the show. In general anyway. i know a few other enterprise 'd' ships have appeared now and then.
  • LeoliansBro 6 Dec 2012 10:40:01 43,614 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There are two shots of the Enterprise, and the latter has it crashing into the sea.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Deleted user 6 December 2012 10:40:32
    lazymanschair wrote:
    I thought the Enterprise was rising out of the water, not crashing. I took it that it was the Enterprise raining death down on that city, then again a lot of it was hard to make out, exciting though.
    Right near the end of the trailer, just before the title comes up. But yeah theres also a shot of it coming up as well.
  • Toonster 6 Dec 2012 10:47:38 6,839 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Holy fucking fuck, if I hear another Inception BWWWAAAAA in a trailer ever again, it will be too soon. It was annoying at first, but now it just puts me off the movie entirely... especially if it's as blatantly incorporated into the trailer as this one.

3DS: 0361-6951-2609 (Tom)

• mcmonkeyplc 6 Dec 2012 10:48:20 39,406 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Is he English and from East London?

Come and get it cumslingers!

• mcmonkeyplc 6 Dec 2012 10:49:07 39,406 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    There are two shots of the Enterprise, and the latter has it crashing into the sea.
    You see NCC and that's it...

• kalel 6 Dec 2012 10:50:24 86,743 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Can someone do me an exact counts on how many seconds (to three decimal places) we see of the Enterprise in the trailer?
  • disusedgenius 6 Dec 2012 10:50:59 5,269 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Toonster wrote:
    Holy fucking fuck, if I hear another Inception BWWWAAAAA
    We were discussing this at work a while ago after the last trailer which did it (so probably a few weeks ago then...). I think the consensus was to blame Spielberg's War of the Worlds for starting the fad.

Transformers and Shutter Island were also bandied about, but I'm pretty sure that WotW was the first...
  • SClaw 6 Dec 2012 10:52:31 826 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I think it’s Khan.

Watching the trailer it looks very much like a mash-up of Space Seed and Wrath of Khan. From the casting it makes sense; if we assume BC is Khan and the blonde woman (Alice Eve?) is something like Marla McGivers the synopses makes sense (“As our heroes are propelled into an epic chess game of life and death, love will be challenged, friendships will be torn apart, and sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew.”) to me. Kirk is banging the blonde chick, they encounter Khan for whatever reason, the blonde chick goes with Khan, etc. Fits.

Some visual cues which really make me think this; that super leap BC does is a very Hollywood way to show he’s more than human (although, that works for other potential enemies too – but it’s not very Gary Mitchell I think?), the shot where he’s wearing a uniform shirt – Khan did that too in Wrath, the bit where the Enterprise (I assume) comes up out of the water is really, really like that bit at the end of Wrath, and the bit at the end of Japanese trailer… well that actually makes me think it’s a red herring after all. Maybe JJ is smart enough to be that misleading?

I wasn't really thinking about it before, but suddenly I'm quite excited about this film.
  • mcmonkeyplc 6 Dec 2012 10:52:38 39,406 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Can someone do me an exact counts on how many seconds (to three decimal places) we see of the Enterprise in the trailer?
    Isn't there a man of steel trailer out soon? :p

• LeoliansBro 6 Dec 2012 10:59:32 43,614 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    OK? So they don't show the Enterprise at all in the trailer, just a sister ship crashing into the sea (which we know survives the crash). That sound likely?

• nickthegun 6 Dec 2012 11:00:46 59,303 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Quite. They always destroy other ships to bring on the mild peril.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• disusedgenius 6 Dec 2012 11:01:14 5,269 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sure, the trailer's just a bunch of pretty pictures which cut together well. The name of the ship and it's importance won't matter to them.
  • LeoliansBro 6 Dec 2012 11:03:18 43,614 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SClaw wrote:
    Some visual cues which really make me think this; that super leap BC does is a very Hollywood way to show he’s more than human (although, that works for other potential enemies too – but it’s not very Gary Mitchell I think?)

Mitchell was more than human.

the shot where he’s wearing a uniform shirt – Khan did that too in Wrath,

Mitchell was Starfleet.

the bit where the Enterprise (I assume) comes up out of the water is really, really like that bit at the end of Wrath,

erm, the bit in the 2009 Saturn's moon atmosphere bit was far more similar. Same angle, for a start

and the bit at the end of Japanese trailer… well that actually makes me think it’s a red herring after all. Maybe JJ is smart enough to be that misleading?

So yeah, it's Mitchell.

Edited by LeoliansBro at 11:07:00 06-12-2012

• Deleted user 6 December 2012 11:08:54
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Why? Is the Enterprise in that?
  • mcmonkeyplc 6 Dec 2012 11:10:08 39,406 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Why? Is the Enterprise in that?
    That would be AWESOME! :)

• SClaw 6 Dec 2012 11:10:19 826 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah. I agree... those arguments work both ways around. Nothing conclusive. However, I think I just want it to be Khan. Mitchell was kind of a shit villian.
  • mcmonkeyplc 6 Dec 2012 11:10:57 39,406 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    OK? So they don't show the Enterprise at all in the trailer, just a sister ship crashing into the sea (which we know survives the crash). That sound likely?
    Yup. :)

They only fuck up the Enterprise in the 3rd films :)

• Gambit1977 6 Dec 2012 11:11:39 9,583 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    When does Khan wear a uniform in WoK?
  • mcmonkeyplc 6 Dec 2012 11:12:54 39,406 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    SClaw wrote:
    Yeah. I agree... those arguments work both ways around. Nothing conclusive. However, I think I just want it to be Khan. Mitchell was kind of a shit villian.
    Now I know who the fuck he is, I want it to be Mitchell.

Khan has the prime universe. Let Mitchell have the alternate.

• mcmonkeyplc 6 Dec 2012 11:13:54 39,406 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    Yeah he doesn't. Raquiem (however you spell it), his "first officer" wore the torn up uniform. Not Khan.

• kalel 6 Dec 2012 11:13:58 86,743 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I hope it's Desmond.
  • faux_carnation 6 Dec 2012 11:14:28 9,164 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't know much about TOS, so i had to look up Gary Mitchell on Memory Alpha. One of the things it mentions about him is that he "aimed a little blonde lab technician"  at Kirk to distract him. Seems to me that could very easily be the really obvious blonde in the trailer, no?
  • nickthegun 6 Dec 2012 11:15:00 59,303 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SClaw wrote:
    Khan has an almost insurmountable legacy. Mitchell, on the other hand, was a tragic villain and, as I said, was not killed on screen, so has a way back.

It could be either, but I would put my money on Mitchell.

Having said that, Khans intellectual characteristics would suit Holmes quite well and there is already that shot released of him and kirk scrapping, mano-a-mano so.... who the fuck knows?

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Gambit1977 6 Dec 2012 11:15:05 9,583 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @kalel it's Henry Gale
  • LeoliansBro 6 Dec 2012 11:16:03 43,614 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    Yeah he doesn't. Raquiem (however you spell it), his "first officer" wore the torn up uniform. Not Khan.
    He does in Space Seed.

• RyanDS 6 Dec 2012 11:17:28 9,154 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think it's Harry Mudd, reimagined for the new series. All the clues point to it.

Mud(d) is dirty, and hence explains the new darker look.
  • LeoliansBro 6 Dec 2012 11:18:32 43,614 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Quite. They always destroy other ships to bring on the mild peril.
    (kalel is going to love this). They've done something to the (maybe not) Enterprise's nacelles - they look more angular than the 2009 Enterprise and don't seem to have the chrome bullshit on them any more. They look more like the film-era Enterprise.

Plus the pylons are straighter.

• Gambit1977 6 Dec 2012 11:19:07 9,583 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    He said Wrath specifically though mate.
  • Page

of 179 First / Last