New Star Trek Page 139

• Page

of 179 First / Last

• mcmonkeyplc 4 Dec 2012 13:51:40 39,411 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So there isn't another post out today...yet.

Maybe it really does have something to do with London.

Jack the Ripper!

:D

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Razz 4 Dec 2012 14:04:26 60,997 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I hate the new Star Trek film now, I don't why this has happened as when it came out, I loved it! I watched it 3 times at the cinema, I bought the Merch, I bought the blu ray. I was absolutely sold. It came on 4od the other day and I absolutely hated it. Yes it's a good popcorn flick, but absolutely eff all any thing else. the plot holes, weak plot, crap dialogue, wickter wickter bollocks, blinding ibridge design, weird engineering room, old Spock acting out of character.... the list goes on.

Sokath! His eyes are open.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• mcmonkeyplc 4 Dec 2012 14:07:06 39,411 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Shaka when the walls fell!

It was just an origin story. I've seen about 5 times now and I don't hate it.

• kalel 4 Dec 2012 14:07:36 86,798 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    As someone who doesn't like Star Trek, I like the new Star Trek film, which probably says it all really.
  • LeoliansBro 4 Dec 2012 14:13:47 43,640 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Trekkies don't (as a group) like the new Star Trek film because it takes a coherent universe they've invested insane amounts of time in and tramples all over it. No matter that in doing so it escapes slavish dogma and becomes a better film, it's still like you owning an all-white zen flat of perfect pure calm and then finding your flatmate has trampled mud into the carpet and stuck One Direction posters all over the walls and spilled coffee on the sofa.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• mcmonkeyplc 4 Dec 2012 14:16:56 39,411 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It doesn't trample all over the existing universe. That was the whole freaking point of the last film.

I don't get the nerd rage. I for one welcome it's new populist undertaking without it Star Trek would be dead.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 4 Dec 2012 14:18:19 37,663 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Only the new Star Trek quite cleverly doesn't do a full reboot. For all intents and purposes the original ST universe still exists as it always was. The new films as not unlike the Marvel Ultimate universe in that respect and is all the better for it.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Razz 4 Dec 2012 14:21:52 60,997 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    As someone who doesn't like Star Trek, I like the new Star Trek film, which probably says it all really.
    Well yeah, it's the Wii of Star Trek films. Not for the long term fans, but trying to capture a new market. It, undoubtedly pissed off the geeks! :D I lvoed it for that, shaking things up a bit!
    Thinking about it, I reckon my change of heart is due to a current reading project. I'm reading through all the Star Trek TNG pocket books in chronological order, there are 100+ novels (each is about 300 pages), I've read 58 in past 8 months! Around 2 per week. They have restored my inner trek uber geek, and it really hates the new film.

• Razz 4 Dec 2012 14:32:24 60,997 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    Only the new Star Trek quite cleverly doesn't do a full reboot. For all intents and purposes the original ST universe still exists as it always was.
    Despite the face that the Romulan empire is all but destroyed. Such a shame :( Still the bastards are responsible for killing Data T_T (I actually blame Brent Spiner)

• LeoliansBro 4 Dec 2012 14:33:42 43,640 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    It doesn't trample all over the existing universe. That was the whole freaking point of the last film.

Not sure how much trampely you can get than 'we went back in time and as a result none of the Trek universe you've seen ever happened' ;)

• Whizzo 4 Dec 2012 14:35:41 43,060 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    As others have said the Star Trek Prime Universe still exists with only some small changes (well if you're not Romulan), Romulus is gone and so is Spock.

Almost certainly any future TV show would be in Prime, although I'd love a Mirror Universe series but that's never going to happen. Poor old Terran Empire. :-(

Edited by Whizzo at 14:37:14 04-12-2012

This space left intentionally blank.

• nickthegun 4 Dec 2012 14:36:17 59,340 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As a big Star Trek fan you have to accept one thing: Its either this or nothing.

I really like the new movie (hopefully movies) and would happily see a series be made in the same style/universe but I can see why the hardcore donít like it, the same hardcore who are partially responsible for the fact that a new property based on the original universe is just impossible to produce.

The universe has become such a snarl of continuity and canon that its impenetrable to the newcomer. It just had to be rebooted for it to survive as an idea.

That said, the thing that killed it for me was all the time travel stories. They fucking suck and there were more and more of them as the years went by, culminating in the temporal cold war, the worst storyline in trek history.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• nickthegun 4 Dec 2012 14:38:56 59,340 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    Almost certainly any future TV show would be in Prime
    I dont think thats true at all. If you were a tv exec would you choose to base your series on the young, vibrant movies that people are flocking to watch or the universe that stagnated so much the last film killed appeared the entire franchise?

He totally called it

• Whizzo 4 Dec 2012 14:39:36 43,060 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Temporal Cold War was Rick Berman and Brannon Braga's idea so obviously it was shit.

• Deleted user 4 December 2012 14:39:52
    It happened, there are multiple universes and timelines.
  • LeoliansBro 4 Dec 2012 14:40:46 43,640 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    Despite the fact that the Romulan empire is all but destroyed. Such a shame :( Still the bastards are responsible for killing Data T_T (I actually blame Brent Spiner)

Well yes, because one is a real person juggling various creative projects and who felt he had outgrown the character and the series, and the other is a fictional star empire with zero causal input and in fact zero independent influence at all ;)

Edited by LeoliansBro at 14:41:59 04-12-2012

• Deleted user 4 December 2012 14:41:22
    I really like star trek, and really like the new film. I know quite a few others who feel the same way. I think its a bit unfair to label all trekkies hate the new film.

Its seem the mini backlash against the last film , as come off the back of the slating of promethous, The dark knight and skyfall. Nerd rage this year has been insanse.

I thought the film was what the franchise needed. It was fun, involving, and great to watch, it was a blockbuster that ticked all my boxes. I'm not one for blockbusters as they are mostly garbage, but now and again one comes along that i really like, and ST was that.

It had plenty of nods to pervious trek films and episodes, it looked great, sounded great, the characters were fantastic, it had enough tech gobbly gook to sound convincing, it had fan fare, but also on its own it stood up. It felt like star Trek. It did feel, this is what star wars should have been in places, but i rather much have this, than enterprise, and the last couple of Generations films.

Edited by joelstinton at 14:43:49 04-12-2012
  • LeoliansBro 4 Dec 2012 14:41:39 43,640 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    Almost certainly I hope that future TV show would be in Prime

• Deleted user 4 December 2012 14:42:26
    The last few of the films before it were little more than extended TV episodes with a bigger budget. They were boring, niche and boring. Neither the action or the story could appeal to anyone but those that liked the diplomacy episodes of TNG.
  • Whizzo 4 Dec 2012 14:43:39 43,060 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Whizzo wrote:
    Almost certainly I hope that future TV show would be in Prime
    As a new show isn't going to happen for quite some time, if ever, it's hardly worth misquoting me.

• mcmonkeyplc 4 Dec 2012 14:45:03 39,411 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    Only the new Star Trek quite cleverly doesn't do a full reboot. For all intents and purposes the original ST universe still exists as it always was.
    Despite the face that the Romulan empire is all but destroyed. Such a shame :( Still the bastards are responsible for killing Data T_T (I actually blame Brent Spiner)
    Tsk Tsk I would expect you to know that the Romulan empire has not been destroyed it's just crippled much like the Cardasian Union after the Dominion war. The Tal Shiar still exists and with that the empire still exists.

That was part of the countdown series to the last film.

• Deleted user 4 December 2012 14:45:25
    Aargh. wrote:
    The last few of the films before it were little more than extended TV episodes with a bigger budget. They were boring, niche and boring. Neither the action or the story could appeal to anyone but those that liked the diplomacy episodes of TNG.
    Def, Inssurection was literally the TNG epsidoes were Picard becomes a demi god and riker and troi get captured.

I really got a urge to watch DS9 or TNG from the beginning now.
  • mcmonkeyplc 4 Dec 2012 14:47:22 39,411 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:

Not sure how much trampely you can get than 'we went back in time and as a result none of the Trek universe you've seen ever happened' ;)
    It's an alternate universe, they even spelled that out in the film! :)

The "prime" universe still exists in parallel.

Edited by mcmonkeyplc at 14:48:12 04-12-2012

• RyanDS 4 Dec 2012 14:47:26 9,154 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    As others have said the Star Trek Prime Universe still exists with only some small changes (well if you're not Romulan), Romulus is gone and so is Spock.

Almost certainly any future TV show would be in Prime, although I'd love a Mirror Universe series but that's never going to happen. Poor old Terran Empire. :-(
    Romulus is still there, it only (maybe) gets destroyed 150 years in the future.

Vulcun is the place that is gone now.
  • nickthegun 4 Dec 2012 14:48:19 59,340 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Also, im not saying that a new series set in the prime universe would be a bad thing, just that its unlikely.

A new star trek set in universe B would likely center around the relationship problems of hunky twenty somethings and the vulnerable yet spunky teenage daughters of the ships doctors who have raging father issues.

Space exploration would play a poor second behind the reasons why the captain wont commit to a long term relationship.

He totally called it

• RyanDS 4 Dec 2012 14:49:17 9,154 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    For the reasons I love the new film look no further than Plinketts review of it. It is actually rather inciteful and very informative. (In between the murder jokes etc.)
  • mcmonkeyplc 4 Dec 2012 14:49:23 39,411 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    In the prime universe there is NO Romulus.

• nickthegun 4 Dec 2012 14:50:02 59,340 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:

It's an alternate universe, they even spelled that out in the film! :)
    It was almost laughable. they may as well have held up a sign saying 'NERDS! FEAR NOT! PICARD STILL EXISTS! REMEMBER THAT BIT IN BTTF2? THIS IS LIKE THAT!'

He totally called it

• mcmonkeyplc 4 Dec 2012 14:51:14 39,411 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Alternate Universe: No Vulcan

Prime Universe: No Romulus

Parallel Universe's, both exist at the same time.

• RyanDS 4 Dec 2012 14:52:01 9,154 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Also, im not saying that a new series set in the prime universe would be a bad thing, just that its unlikely.

A new star trek set in universe B would likely center around the relationship problems of hunky twenty somethings and the vulnerable yet spunky teenage daughters of the ships doctors who have raging father issues.

Space exploration would play a poor second behind the reasons why the captain wont commit to a long term relationship.
    Star Trek: Academy? Which has been put forward as a potential show several times.
  • Page

of 179 First / Last