next gen games

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • solipsist 8 Dec 2005 22:01:34 124 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago

Hi all. With all this talk of next gen games and so on ive been trying to think what actual next gen games there have been. Games that have made people go out and buy a newly realeased console just to play it. All ive come up with so far is Mario 64 and Wipeout.

(Sorry if this thread has been done before i did look but couldnt find anything)
  • morriss 8 Dec 2005 22:04:55 70,749 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Halo

Super Mario Sunshine

The reason I bought an XBox and a GC

Tomb Raider and FFVII were the reasons I bought a PS1.

• UncleLou Moderator 8 Dec 2005 22:06:48 35,172 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I bought my first console to play Gran Turismo 3, but then that was quite a bit after the launch of the PS2.
  • Dragul 8 Dec 2005 22:07:00 5,478 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Don't know, what made me buy my first PS1 was Tekken but, when I discovered that in two months I could pay it if I stopped playing tekken on the arcades...

But if I had to say a game , it would have been Super Mario 64...
  • Doctor-Necesseter 8 Dec 2005 22:11:53 682 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    I bought my PS1 because of the official Formula One game. For the Cube I guess Rogue Squadron looked way beyond anything I'd seen before on a console and I bought that with it.
  • Dragul 8 Dec 2005 22:17:07 5,478 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    byskiteater wrote:
    Dragul wrote:
    Don't know, what made me buy my first PS1 was Tekken but, when I discovered that in two months I could pay it if I stopped playing tekken on the arcades...

But if I had to say a game , it would have been Super Mario 64...

Tekken....I can't understand why people spend loads of money in the Arcades on a Game, when they could have bought the Game for about 35. What makes sense... Buy it & Play it all you want, or Pay 1 per game and only play it 35 times

I was around 14 years at time, not much on the brain side at the time, but when I started thinking and doing the math, I decided to stop my addiction for two months so I could play it at home, is that simple... :)
  • Carrybagma 8 Dec 2005 22:34:33 3,904 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What k.o.t.i said (although ideas of programming went out the window when the Spectrum arrived)
    Doom on PC (looking out that window and seeing the virtual sky - couldn't believe the scale)
    SM64, which was everything I like about gaming in a nutshell
  • Deleted user 8 December 2005 22:38:49
    Ico. Made me buy a PS2 because I'd simply never seen anything like it.

Mario 64, Halo and Soul Calibur were also system-sellers for me though.
  • souljah 8 Dec 2005 22:42:59 4,701 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    GTA3 made me cave in and get a PS2
  • morriss 8 Dec 2005 22:44:36 70,749 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    California Games made me get a Commodore

I got the Snes for Super Mario World - Best Mario game ever! :p and Mario Kart

• mcmonkeyplc 9 Dec 2005 00:10:09 38,899 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If it weren't for PGR3 there would be no dead xbox 360 in living room waiting to be picked up...

Oh and Halo...duh

Come and get it cumslingers!

• BartonFink 9 Dec 2005 00:25:49 34,778 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Let's see

PS1 Tomb Raider
    N64 Mario 64
    PS2 cheap DVD player
    Xbox Halo
    Cube Zelda
    360 PGR3 and Xbox Live
    PS3 cheap Blu-Ray player
  • DodgyPast 9 Dec 2005 01:07:22 8,337 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    I bought my first console to play Gran Turismo 3, but then that was quite a bit after the launch of the PS2.
    Same..... took a long time for me to buy another after it broke.

BBC bought for Elite... Definitely next gen.
    C64 bought for IK+ and Apache... not sure, I bought quite late.
    Archimedes bought for Chocks Away and programming... Chocks Away was pretty next gen at the time.
    SNES bought for Streetfighter 2... Definitely next gen.
    Jaguar bought for Tempest 2000... Definitely next gen.
    First PC bought for Sim City 2000, Doom 2 and doing Uni work! Sim City 2000 was pretty next gen at the time.
    N64 bought for Goldeneye, Mario Kart and Mario 64.... Definitely next gen.
    GBA bought for Advance Wars... No.
    GC bought for Super Monkey Ball and Mario Kart... Wouldn't say they were very next gen.
    First PS2 bought for GT3... Wouldn't say next gen.
    PSP bought for Lumines, homebrew and media... Lumines not next gen, just a classic.
    2nd PS2 bought for Katamari, Pro Evo and untold quantities of RPGs... seeing as this was only 4 months ago I'd say not.
    DS bought for Mario Kart, Animal Crossing and Advance Wars... I wouldn't call any of these titles next gen.

I do find the concept of buying a console at launch a bit laughable, you'll get stung on price and you'll struggle to get more than one classic game with it.

Edited by DodgyPast at 01:14:10 09-12-2005
  • Feanor 9 Dec 2005 01:29:40 13,921 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I only bought the PSP at launch because of Wipeout Pure, but I'm happy I did. I've always loved the Wipeout series and Pure was a great return to form, even if it's not quite as good as Wip3out IMO.
  • valli 9 Dec 2005 09:24:38 14,114 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    souljah wrote:GTA3 made me cave in and get a PS2
    +1

Also "+1 ignore" for byskiteater which btw means "village shit" in Swedish. How appropriate.
  • easy_lee 9 Dec 2005 09:30:35 227 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There's loads of them but the one that impressed me most in its next gen-ness must be Metroid Prime, oooh the beauty, the immersion, the sheer perfection that turned out to be near-perfection towards the end :-)

and Doom
  • ResidentKnievel 21 Nov 2012 16:54:44 5,877 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Other than better framerates, resolution and effects, what do people want out of the next-gen consoles (PS4/Xbox 3)?

I think the rumoured extra power from these two could be used to create a more immersive experience in open world games such as Elder Scrolls.

Like how in Skyrim there was apparently a massive war going on but you only ever saw 5 dudes who were angry at another 5 dudes wearing slightly different armour. Or how the cities were just a few sparsely populated towns with a dozen houses each separated by some fields and hills. I found it really hard to care about the main storyline due to the lack of implied scale and enjoyed the personal side-quests far more.

With extra console power maybe armies in wars would be represented by hundreds of characters rather than a dozen, same with town populations.
    And maybe we'll see loading screens when entering new areas disposed of entirely.

Edited by ResidentKnievel at 16:55:06 21-11-2012

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• neilka 21 Nov 2012 16:59:16 14,942 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bacon Production Port
  • Deleted user 21 November 2012 17:01:00
    Slightly crappier ports of year old games.
  • King_Edward 21 Nov 2012 17:01:03 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The things I don't want are the ones first amongst my thoughts. Things like online activation codes or micro transactions.
  • ResidentKnievel 21 Nov 2012 17:01:08 5,877 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @neilka

PS3 had that

Edited by ResidentKnievel at 17:01:42 21-11-2012

• Blerk Moderator 21 Nov 2012 17:02:06 48,224 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bigger, better, faster. That'll do me.

With a controller that actually looks like a controller and doesn't need waving, waggling, tapping, shaking, licking, smelling, throwing or otherwise fannying about with.

Sticks and buttons and enough power to throw twenty gazillion polygons around without breaking a sweat. Bob's your fucking Uncle.
  • King_Edward 21 Nov 2012 17:04:16 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'd love a controller you can lick and smell.
  • ResidentKnievel 21 Nov 2012 17:09:06 5,877 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I know I said 'apart from better framerates' but I am actually looking forward to that aspect of next-gen games, I can't play a few games this gen due to the painful image quality, such as Assassins Creed and Formula 1 20XX.

I could get a gaming PC but I'mnotmadeofmoneyshutup

• Deleted user 21 November 2012 17:12:50
    Start including a manual in the box and stop making a third of the game a tutorial. Start making games for gamers again and not the 'broad audience'. Never going to happen, is it.

I'd like the extra power to be used for expansive gaming environments offering more emergent gameplay opportunities but that won't happen. It'll just be the same insipid linear crap but at 1080p/30fps. As a PC gamer I can already get better than that so the next-gen consoles hold little interest for me. I'd love to be proved wrong though...
  • RobTheBuilder 21 Nov 2012 17:18:23 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Personally::

Amiga - Super Hang On (this looks like the arcade!!)
    Gameboy - Super Mario Land (a real Mario game in your hand)
    Megadrive - Sonic (so fast!)
    Snes - FZero (mode 7 ftw)
    Playstation - ridge racer (though first game I played was assault rigs, which looked amazing at the time)
    Dreamcast - sonic adventure (almost imported a Japanese one for 500 on seeing it)
    GameCube - nothing specific, but super monkey ball looked beautiful
    DS - nintendogs (totally unique)
    360 - nothing specific
    Psp - burnout legends (in hindsight didn't look great)
    Wii - Wii Sports
  • ResidentKnievel 21 Nov 2012 17:20:25 5,877 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wii U - looooooooooooooollllllllll

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous