Straw Poll - should all religious related threads be banned? Page 2

  • Page

    of 6 First / Last

  • Furbs 14 Jun 2007 22:45:51 45,699 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah so its something that needs to be addressed. We've had two BIG religious threads recently which I must be honest, I've really enjoyed reading. Its going to get emotional as its such a core issue to all our lives - athiest/agnostic/devout worshipper/whatever. If its the case that they are going to be locked for fear of getting abusive or emotive, I'd really like to know before hand so I know not to bother participating.

    I do sometimes wonder if some of the accusations leveled at maturity in this place are not a substitute for intellectual snobbery? Sure immaturity is present sometimes but its not as bad as it could be, or suggested.
  • Furbs 14 Jun 2007 22:45:51 45,699 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    < sigh >
    I take back what I just said.
  • Deleted user 25 August 2012 10:37:28
    Religion. Why do none religious people blame wars on religion? Some people at work trying to suggest ww1 ww2 Vietnam Korea Iraq were religious in origin, none were.
  • Syrette 25 Aug 2012 10:42:03 43,061 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Where do you work bro? A church?

  • kalel 25 Aug 2012 10:51:59 86,307 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Religion and ideology are strongly linked and both played some part in all those wars. Blaming all war on religion is naive, but so is completely ignoring the role it can play.
  • Deleted user 25 August 2012 11:13:34
    Ww1 money problems ww2 money problems because of the treaty from ww1. Vietnam and Korea was politics/communism. Iraq oil. Afghanistan ideology.
  • kalel 25 Aug 2012 11:16:50 86,307 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No point in having a discussion if you're determined to see things in simplistic and absolutist terms. Again, that's just the flip side of the argument your work colleagues were making and equally naive.
  • Deleted user 25 August 2012 11:20:31
    Syrette wrote:
    Where do you work bro? A church?
    Hospital.
  • Deleted user 25 August 2012 11:21:54
    I'm more than happy for a debate on it. If facts are given I will like to learn.
  • kalel 25 Aug 2012 11:30:42 86,307 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    WWI had little do to with religion agreed but you can't completely ignore the religious elements of Hitler's ideology. To say it was all about money is very simplistic. If anything Hitler use Germany's poverty as a catalyst to push his ideology.

    Following the war the creation of Isreal as a Jewish state has played a massive role in the tensions with the Islamic Middle East and all the wars there to some degree.

    Also while the Cold War was about ideology, the west used Christianity to a large degree in its rhetoric - "godless commies" etc.

    Again, not saying these were Holy Wars as such, but religion played a role. The factors are myriad.
  • elstoof 25 Aug 2012 11:34:00 6,599 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You really think the holocaust was down to money worries?
  • Deleted user 25 August 2012 12:07:23
    Re Hitler and the Jews. Hitler wasn't Christian, he accepted as leader of a Christian state. If he was a true Christian he wouldn't kill millions of Jews. He persecuted them as in his mind they controlled the economics and conspired against Germany. Jesus was a Jew and Jesus essentially spread a new judiasm which became Christianity. No where does it say to persecute the Jews. He used the Jews as a scapegoat a common enemy to unite the party and the majority of the country. Their was a lot of internal issues from the treaty.
  • Deleted user 25 August 2012 12:08:52
    Modern day Israel is a different discussion all together.
  • kalel 25 Aug 2012 12:09:20 86,307 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hitler believed he was a Christian. Just because you don't consider him to be one by your definition doesn't mean religion played no role in what he did.
  • kalel 25 Aug 2012 12:11:21 86,307 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    revan8 wrote:
    Modern day Israel is a different discussion all together.
    No it isn't. You've just said the Iraq wars had nothing to do with religion. Israel being a Jewish state plays some part in what has happened in the ME in the last 60 years , including 9/11, which prompted the second war in Iraq.
  • Deleted user 25 August 2012 13:09:03
    There is a valid reason why Israel is a problem in the middle east, it might not be their fault but by don't help themselves.
  • Deleted user 25 August 2012 13:10:26
    9/11 was an attack on America ideology and their foreign policy, not Christianity.
  • Stickman 25 Aug 2012 13:18:07 29,657 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Why people bother talking to you is absolutely beyond me.

    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

  • Deleted user 25 August 2012 13:21:21
    It's not your fault your that simple. Just having a debate with someone, don't let your head explode.
  • kalel 25 Aug 2012 13:22:27 86,307 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    revan8 wrote:
    9/11 was an attack on America ideology and their foreign policy, not Christianity.
    And that's a total straw man, so that's me done. Bye.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 25 Aug 2012 13:28:09 6,654 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I don't have a problem with religious threads.
  • Fake_Blood 25 Aug 2012 13:33:02 4,059 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I don't see the issue, there aren't many religious threads for starters.
  • Load_2.0 25 Aug 2012 13:36:10 18,873 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    revan8 wrote:
    There is a valid reason why Israel is a problem in the middle east, it might not be their fault but by don't help themselves.
    This pointless drivel is akin to Madgod's ramblings.
  • Stickman 25 Aug 2012 13:39:19 29,657 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    revan8 wrote:
    It's not your fault your that simple. Just having a debate with someone, don't let your head explode.
    You're not though. You're just making idiotic statements and then being pig headed. As usual.

    THIS SPACE FOR RENT

  • craigy Staff 25 Aug 2012 13:42:05 7,500 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jeremy Vine-esque bump.
  • Mr-Brett 25 Aug 2012 13:45:45 12,723 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Revan8 You're not doing yourself any favours by not proof reading your posts, the frequent typos and grammatical errors make your posts hard to read and easy to dismiss.

    Portable view - Never forget.

  • Deleted user 25 August 2012 13:46:59
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    revan8 wrote:
    There is a valid reason why Israel is a problem in the middle east, it might not be their fault but by don't help themselves.
    This pointless drivel is akin to Madgod's ramblings.
    It isn't their fault that they were given the land after ww2. They now build settlements on foreign soil that isn't theirs.
    So it isn't drivel and your comment is and is the exactly pointless negativity I'm am talking about in another thread.
  • Lukus 25 Aug 2012 13:49:22 18,996 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    Jeremy Vine-esque bump.
    :D

    So, religion; responsible for all wars ever?

    Paintings & Photographs

  • AaronTurner 25 Aug 2012 13:52:37 7,591 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The original post was an excellent idea in my opinion. We should be aiming to keep as many religious crazies away from this forum as possible.

    Edited by AaronTurner at 13:54:51 25-08-2012
  • Deleted user 25 August 2012 13:53:20
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    @Revan8 You're not doing yourself any favours by not proof reading your posts, the frequent typos and grammatical errors make your posts hard to read and easy to dismiss.
    Even if I couldn't spell correctly and the such I don't think I should get abused for it ?
  • Page

    of 6 First / Last

Log in or register to reply