Straw Poll - should all religious related threads be banned?

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous
  • sam_spade 10 Nov 2005 23:20:39 15,745 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not really. People who get their pants in a tizzy about which person people worship get their pants in a tizzy about all sorts of other things.
  • phAge 10 Nov 2005 23:21:52 24,336 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Defo not. Just because they degenerate into hate-fests after a few pages, it doesn't mean that there isn't something interesting to be had from them.
  • morriss 10 Nov 2005 23:21:54 70,911 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    yeah if someone talks about religion or is even suspected of doing so, they should recieve a 90 day global ban...taking all their EG rights away ;)
  • souljah 10 Nov 2005 23:22:09 4,701 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If it's not religion, it's politics. If it's not politics, it's consoles. If it's not consoles, itis handhelds.

• MetalDog 10 Nov 2005 23:23:15 23,708 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm with Mister Spade on this one.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Deleted user 10 November 2005 23:24:47
    MetalDog wrote:

And me.
  • phAge 10 Nov 2005 23:27:05 24,336 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    See souljahs post. Maybe not as fast as with religion, but it usually gets there in the end.
  • Khanivor 10 Nov 2005 23:34:07 40,356 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Only becuase the demographic has changed in recent times.
  • Khanivor 10 Nov 2005 23:40:25 40,356 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    TBH, I'm struggling to see what was so bad about the Islam thread. Certainly nothing out of the ordinary or reprehensively distasteful.

Too many people delve into threads that they know are gonna wind em up and then piss abnd moan about it. They need locked imo :D
  • phAge 10 Nov 2005 23:41:23 24,336 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    otto wrote:
    Don't agree with you there. I know internet forums where that's certainly going to happen. This used to be one of them.
    Hmm... I was going to make some sort of smartarse comment there, and then back it up with a few 2-3+ year-old threads about religion that *also* got out of hand - but to my surprise NONE of the ones I've checked that are more than 2 years old got unpleasant*. Also, they seemed to have FAR fewer individual posters - about 5-10 at the most. Odd.

*Not saying that they aren't there, just that I didn't find any.
  • mrharvest 10 Nov 2005 23:45:04 5,184 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    All religious threads are ultimately useless in my opinion but I don't think you need to ban them either. If you don't like, don't read / post.
  • sam_spade 10 Nov 2005 23:46:07 15,745 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Furbs wrote:
    I do sometimes wonder if some of the accusations leveled at maturity in this place are not a substitute for intellectual snobbery? Sure immaturity is present sometimes but its not as bad as it could be, or suggested.

Being clever doesn't mean you don't act like a fool at times. Look at the Hitchens brothers.
  • phAge 10 Nov 2005 23:59:10 24,336 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    And don't forget that some (a lot) of regulars get away with acting cunt-ish - because they're regulars.
  • sam_spade 11 Nov 2005 01:18:46 15,745 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    And don't forget that some (a lot) of regulars get away with acting cunt-ish - because they're regulars.

This has been mentioned loads of times, and the consensus that I most agreed with was: "That certain members get a pass on their behaviour because they, more often than not, provided something a lot more interesting than those who just play the fool."
  • warlockuk 11 Nov 2005 03:54:21 19,131 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Religious threads are all well and good until someone tries to add discussion. The moment someone tries to put forward constructed arguments for or against any religion it all degenerates into a slanging match.

As Akeldama already said, there's a lot of anti-religious sentiment here, and given the personal nature of a thing such as a religion I'd say people are within their rights to feel that way. But they have to acknowledge that while they chose to dislike any given religion the people of that faith do not. Conversely, the religious need to stop thinking of the people who aren't religious as arseholes. If you hypothetically treat Atheism as a religion then 99% of the forum is guilty of religious intolerance at some side of the scale - which is why it almost always degenerates into arguments.

...so threads relating to religion shouldn't be banned per se, but as soon as people start discussing the yes/no of it you're going to be faced with two sides of an argument that will dig it's heals in and refuse to be moved.

As for me, I only really turn into an arsehole if someone mentions the Mormons or the Jehova's Witnesses :) I think I've mellowed with age.

/hippy

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Deleted user 11 November 2005 03:57:20
    I don't care.

Now you know what I think, you lucky sucker.
  • Sid-Nice 11 Nov 2005 05:41:20 15,852 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I donít believe in God, I personally think that all religion should be banned. As each religion contradicts one another; making it impossible to understand another persons faith. No matter what religious beliefs you hold? When your faith is threatened by another persons religion; you go on the defensive and pick up on all of the negative sides of their beliefs. This is easy to understand because whatever Holy book you follow; those scriptures have been drummed into you since childhood. Rather than feel cheated youíll defend your religion even if you sound like a hypocrite. Thereís nothing wrong having a faith, but when communities, countries and even families are at war over religion. It makes me wonder why religion was created; my opinion of course is religion was created to keep the masses downtrodden.

NNID Sid-Nice

• fanboy 11 Nov 2005 13:07:12 73 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think they are probably the most interesting threads on Eurogamer, even when they get out of hand. Obviously you get some ignorant fucks (don't bother) in them but apart from that you get some pretty good discussions.

Locking them at the start would be pretty stupid, I think the system works fine. When they get out of hand then they should be locked. If a category was made for religion and you were able to filter out some categories then life would be perfect :).

Did anyone watch '30 days' last night, his brother became a muslim?
  • Shrimp 11 Nov 2005 14:08:13 1,081 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah I have found a lot of interesting points of view, it shouldn't be a banned topic.

However one thing that should be banned is trying to convert people to a belief (or lack thereof). Should be banned in real life too if it was up to me.

I *suspect* that's what stephen's thread was aimed at, even though it was worded subtly.

However, the Islam thread (what little I read, while it was still on topic) didn't seem to have the same purpose.

Maybe it's just me....
  • pjmaybe 11 Nov 2005 14:09:02 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Vanquish wrote:
    MetalDog wrote:

And me.

Aye and me.

Peej
  • Lutzie 11 Nov 2005 14:21:48 952 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    Vanquish wrote:
    MetalDog wrote:

And me.
    Aye and me.

Peej
    Me too, until someone tells me to take my pick.

/stamp, clap.
  • Stickman 11 Nov 2005 14:39:24 29,656 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There always seems little point to religious threads. It's not like you're ever going to change anyone's views on an internet forum anyway. Just turns into a 'you're a zealot/terrorist/heathen' free for all most of the time, but if that's what floats people's boats, then let 'em get on with it I say.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• MetalDog 11 Nov 2005 14:45:37 23,708 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I can be an education - it's better to know about other people's beliefs, reasonings and motives than to be in the dark, I always figured. Sometimes its more interesting than others.

As for the question of converting - that works both ways. I don't think the religious should try to convert people here and I don't think the athiests should try to destroy people's faiths here either.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• otto Moderator 28 May 2007 11:16:19 49,298 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think the issue is whether can talk about religion in a mature and respectful way. No-one would have locked that Islam thread if the discussion had been an intelligent, respectful and mature one. But I don't think the majority of users on this site want to see threads degenerate into intolerance and abuse.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Furbs wrote:
    Thats kinda my point though - realistically on almost any internet forum, thats never going to happen. So, to play devils advocate should it be banned right away?
    Don't agree with you there. I know internet forums where that's certainly going to happen. This used to be one of them.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Furbs wrote:
    Yeah so its something that needs to be addressed. We've had two BIG religious threads recently which I must be honest, I've really enjoyed reading. Its going to get emotional as its such a core issue to all our lives - athiest/agnostic/devout worshipper/whatever. If its the case that they are going to be locked for fear of getting abusive or emotive, I'd really like to know before hand so I know not to bother participating.
    But please note that the Islam thread wasn't locked while it was active. It was left to play itself out, and then locked only when someone tried to resurrect it.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Furbs 14 Jun 2007 22:45:51 45,699 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just curious.
    Personally I find I learn alot about different peoples perspective, but obviously some see it as being too controversial.

Would an instant lock/delete mean there was less aggression here?
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thats kinda my point though - realistically on almost any internet forum, thats never going to happen. So, to play devils advocate should it be banned right away?
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    OK then, on *this* forum it'll never happen due to the demographic/target audience/site basis.
  • Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous