The Single Malt Thread Page 4

• Page

of 25 First / Last

• mrharvest 9 Jun 2008 22:57:47 5,206 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    I had a bottle of this last year, not bad, but my favourite of last year's was Oak Cross, very nice.
    Vatted malts are under-appreciated. The other Compass Box stuff has been well worth the money as well.

But I haven't been posting in this thread much as summer just isn't whisky weather. It's all about the G&T at least until we get a bit of rain. It'd be criminal not to.
  • gamingdave 10 Jun 2008 11:03:14 4,334 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    delbert wrote:
    Do they stock the Laguvilin DE in normal Duty Free or is it from one of the World of WHiskies as the bottle of the 16yo I'm fast approaching the end of is my fav whiskey so far..

Got a nice Jameson 12yo Distillery REserve on my last visit to Dublin, v nice tho technically not a Single Malt..

I guess it depends on the airport, when I was flying out from Gatwick they didnt have it in Duty Free and WOW wasnt open yet, so I got the Talisker DE that they had. Then just before we went to the departure gate, WOW opened up, and so I ended up with a bottle of each :)

I love Jamesons as a blend, but unforuntately in my extended drinking carier its the only drink thats ever given me memory loss. Nothing else gives me even a few minutes of blankness, but we are talking whole afternoons and evenings on Jameons, and not even overdoing it either!
  • delbert 10 Jun 2008 12:03:38 2,893 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cheers gamingdave.. usually fly through gatwick so will check in the WOW (I tend to give it a wide berth to save pennies).. dare I ask how much the Laguvilin DE was?
  • President_Weasel 10 Jun 2008 12:11:46 9,683 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mr Harvest wrote:

But I haven't been posting in this thread much as summer just isn't whisky weather. It's all about the G&T at least until we get a bit of rain. It'd be criminal not to.

Break your self imposed moratorium and tell me if sauternes wood glenmorangie is worth getting for my dad please, mr H.
  • gamingdave 10 Jun 2008 12:59:57 4,334 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    delbert wrote:
    Cheers gamingdave.. usually fly through gatwick so will check in the WOW (I tend to give it a wide berth to save pennies).. dare I ask how much the Laguvilin DE was?

IIRC it was 35 for a 1L bottle.
  • mrharvest 10 Jun 2008 13:35:18 5,206 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    President Weasel wrote:
    Break your self imposed moratorium and tell me if sauternes wood glenmorangie is worth getting for my dad please, mr H.
    I haven't had that one. Michael Jackson's notes:

Nose
    Biscuity. Shortbread. Dundee cake. Cellar.
    Palate
    Buttery and nutty. Crushed apples, cider. Vanilla. A sweet note of peach marmalade.
    Finish
    Too much softness. Gentle spiciness.
    Comment
    Not easy to evaluate what sauternes casks have brought in. An extra sweetness maybe but no particular sauternes aromas. Appreciable bottling strength.

--
    At 50+ I'd personally buy something else, but if your father appreciates the sweeter Glenmorangies (quite close to the Sherry cask I'd imagine, if a bit softer) then I'm sure it'd go down a treat.
  • delbert 10 Jun 2008 14:50:16 2,893 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    gamingdave wrote:
    delbert wrote:

IIRC it was 35 for a 1L bottle.

Cheers thats not bad..
  • Deleted user 10 June 2008 15:05:23
    35 is extremely cheap if you can find it. I've payed around 45 2 weeks ago and according to Dr. Whisky it's almost 50.
  • gamingdave 10 Jun 2008 15:09:21 4,334 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well I could well be wrong, it could have been 40 or 45. Ill see if I've got the receipt from the way out.
  • President_Weasel 10 Jun 2008 15:48:54 9,683 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mr Harvest wrote:

--
    At 50+ I'd personally buy something else, but if your father appreciates the sweeter Glenmorangies (quite close to the Sherry cask I'd imagine, if a bit softer) then I'm sure it'd go down a treat.

Thanks Harvest. What would you recommend instead? Sweetness isn't a prerequisite, but it shouldn't be too peaty or smoky.
  • Deleted user 10 June 2008 15:58:10
    I'm currently getting through a duty-free bottle of Glengoyne. It's not done with any peat so it makes for a very good summer scotch.
  • Deleted user 10 June 2008 16:57:40
    gamingdave wrote:Well I could well be wrong, it could have been 40 or 45.
    Well, it's worth every penny either way. :D
  • gamingdave 10 Jun 2008 16:58:49 4,334 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yes, yes it is
  • oldschoolsoviet 10 Jun 2008 18:17:14 5,555 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Caspar_Esq. wrote:
    Right, well I don't know much (i.e. anything) about whiskey, but about to buy another bottle.

The last one I had was an Inverey from M&S. Was all right but it didn't quite sit well somehow.

I am now studying in Glasgow so I feel like I ought to know more. What can someone suggest as a simple, good suggestion that isn't too expensive?
    Still in Glasgow ? Head for Woodlands Road, just down the hill from the GU campus, 100yds past "The School" (shitty Spoons pub) and look for a barely recognisable pub called (I think) "Uisghe Ba" (oosch-key ba was how we pronounced/knew it). Greatest selection of whiskies in 'Weegie by far. Many a night spent working our way along the bottles on the wall.
  • mrharvest 10 Jun 2008 19:22:08 5,206 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    President Weasel wrote:
    Mr Harvest wrote:
    Thanks Harvest. What would you recommend instead? Sweetness isn't a prerequisite, but it shouldn't be too peaty or smoky.
    Hmm. Well, I said 'personally' tastes of course vary. The Glenmorangie isn't going to be a bad purchase by any means.

Pretty much the safest "I'm buying as a gift" whisky I've come across is Bowmore Darkest. It's interesting, it's complex but it's also very accessible and enjoyable.

Clynelish and Dalwhinnie are also both strong contenders. The distiller's editions run for shy of 40 and offer very good value for money. There's an offer at Oddbin's for the Clynelish. If you can afford to go slightly above 50, then Balvenie 17yo sherryoak should not disappoint. Or then the Balvenie Portwood which goes for less and gives the (imo) slightly pansy Glenmorangie wood editions a good run for the money.

If he enjoys a bit more challenging drink, then one of the Bruichladdich Full Strengths or Aberlour a'Bunadh might be worth getting. While these aren't very peaty or smoky, they are a bit playful which may not suit everyone.

But yeah, I'm sure even if you do decide to go with the Glenmorangie he'll be chuffed.
  • delbert 10 Jun 2008 19:55:40 2,893 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    "Uisghe Ba"

From the gaelic for whiskey - uisge-beatha (Scottish spelling). Meaning "Water of Life"
  • DaM 10 Jun 2008 20:40:05 13,542 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    Caspar_Esq. wrote:
    Right, well I don't know much (i.e. anything) about whiskey, but about to buy another bottle.

The last one I had was an Inverey from M&S. Was all right but it didn't quite sit well somehow.

I am now studying in Glasgow so I feel like I ought to know more. What can someone suggest as a simple, good suggestion that isn't too expensive?

Still in Glasgow ? Head for Woodlands Road, just down the hill from the GU campus, 100yds past "The School" (shitty Spoons pub) and look for a barely recognisable pub called (I think) "Uisghe Ba" (oosch-key ba was how we pronounced/knew it). Greatest selection of whiskies in 'Weegie by far. Many a night spent working our way along the bottles on the wall.

Caspar, go to an Oddbins and get them to recommend something. I go to the one in Byres Rd, or the big one in Crow Rd, some of the guys are real enthusiasts without being wanky about it. Tell them your budget, and what sort of drink you are looking for, and they should be able to recommend something. I've had some crackers this way.
  • DaM 10 Jun 2008 20:42:30 13,542 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    disussedgenius wrote:
    I'm currently getting through a duty-free bottle of Glengoyne. It's not done with any peat so it makes for a very good summer scotch.

I can't think of Glengoyne these days without picturing Jack and Victor on Still Game, 3rd time round the distillery tour, nipping the whisky out the cask.....
  • BanjoMan 11 Jun 2008 08:32:30 13,730 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Royal Lochnagar - 25, but 5 off at Oddbins earlier in the week.

Quite smooth for a low-end single malt. On a par with Highland Park, at least to my untrained palate.

/swigs cheap bourbon from the bottle

PSN: BanjoFett
    XBL: Banjo Fett

• gamingdave 11 Jun 2008 11:14:28 4,334 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Checked my receipt, and the Lagavulin DE at Gatwick Duty Free, was 42.99.

They have some offers on aswell here. 30 for a 1L bottle of Talisker 10, very good offer.
  • delbert 11 Jun 2008 11:20:14 2,893 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cheers still a good price I reckon.. now just need to make sure my yet unbooked August holiday goes through a terminal with a WOW in it..
  • President_Weasel 11 Jun 2008 12:08:53 9,683 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cheers mr H., I got him a bottle of the Balvenie sherryoak in the end. Looked like a good bet.
  • DocX 12 Jun 2008 11:16:01 1,963 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well I cracked open a bottle of Lagavulin 16yo last night and on first impressions I didn't find it all that, really. Recently I've had a Laphroaig 10 yo & a Laphroaig Quarter Cask and I was expecting something a bit different. It's a shame I don't have any of those left to directly compare with it. Very similar tasting (to my rather limited palate) - if anything the 16 yo tasted harsher and less smooth than the Quarter Cask, which surprised me.
  • mrharvest 12 Jun 2008 11:40:16 5,206 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Laphroaig Quarter Cask is a splendid drink, no mistake about that, but it is not similar to Lagavulin 16yo at least in my opinion. Of course both of them are Islay whiskys so they will have similar characteristics, but Laphroaig is much more vegetal, medicinal quality which is closer to Ardbeg's basic flavour if you are looking for a comparison.

Lagavulin is much smokier, also sweeter at the top of the mouth. The taste is imo larger than Laphroaig Quarter Cask. It does have a longer warming quality in the sides of the mouth, so could that be what you feel makes it 'harsher'?

Also the two feel distinctly different in the mouth: Laphroaig is thinner while Lagavulin is oilier and leaves bit of a residue.

(Lucky I had both bottles on my shelf for a bit of direct comparison. But before noon, how degenerate!)

Edit: DocX, also I'm a firm believer in bottle maturation. When you've had a bottle half open for a while some of the alcohol will have evaporated making the drink 'open up' and become mellower. So comparing what you had left of your Laphroaig to a freshly opened Lagavulin might not be completely accurate. And I also think that what you've eaten during the day (or even what things you are smelling at the moment) will affect quite a lot how you perceive whiskys. I do expect the Lagavulin will grow on you when you give it more of a chance to make your acquaintance.
  • DocX 12 Jun 2008 12:06:54 1,963 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh yeah I'm sure it's a grower. I put it down to my limited palate. Peaty and smokey are tastes I find hard to differentiate and the more subtle tastes are lost on me at the moment. By harsher, I meant that the Lagavulin gave me a bit of a splutter after the first sip ('a longer warming quality' sounds rather more eloquent though). I didn't get that with the Quarter Cask. I'll give it a try with the Laphroaig Cairdeas over the weekend & maybe open an Ardbeg too. It's a labour of love :)

• mrharvest 18 Jun 2008 02:04:26 5,206 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hot tip: Glenlivet 18yo now on special offer at Waitrose, 24 per bottle.

Nose fruity, phenolic. On the tongue there's light toasted malt and wood which opens up into caramel and chocolate orange in the back of the mouth. Salt, coriander leaf. The warmth stays long in the throat. At this price pretty damn good purchase imo.
  • DocX 18 Jun 2008 10:56:54 1,963 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There's a live tasting on the Laphroaig website tonight, at 8 I think.
  • gamingdave 18 Jun 2008 12:11:25 4,334 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Good tip Mr Harvest, Sainsburys are doing Talisker 10 for 20 at the moment, bargain.

Maybe we should start the Official Single Malt Supermarket Bargain thread?
  • ketchie38 22 Jun 2008 02:15:35 8 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I am a newby at single malts, so I have refrained from additional posting until I had tried more single malts. Now I have tried enough now to have an opinion. Here is my list: Abdbeg 10 yr. old, Bowmore 12 yr. old, Clynelish 14 yr. old, Lismore, Glenmorangie, Glen Kirk 8 yr. old, Highland Park, Lagavulin 16 yr. old, Laphroaig 10 yr. old, McClelland's, Peat Monster, and Tasker 10 yr. old. My favorites are Laphroaig, Peat Monster, McCellands, and Isle of Jura. What do I need to try next?
    Norman
  • mrharvest 22 Jun 2008 12:13:23 5,206 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ketchie38 wrote:
    Glen Kirk 8 yr. old
    Any tasting notes on that one? It seems to be pretty rare and I've never come across it.

It's a bit difficult to tell what you'd like, because there seems to be quite a lot of variance. If you like the basic Laphroaig then you probably would do well to buy the Quarter cask variant. I'd also recommend you try out the rest of the Islays (Bruichladdich, Bunnahabhain, Caol Ila).
  • Page

of 25 First / Last