The Single Malt Thread Page 3

• Page

of 24 First / Last

• mrharvest 4 May 2008 08:42:27 5,200 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Didn't you just buy it a week ago? I hope you had some friends over.
  • smoothpete 4 May 2008 08:46:26 31,598 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What do you think of Dalmore Mr H?
  • mrharvest 4 May 2008 09:08:34 5,200 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I haven't had it as I haven't seen it sold anywhere, smoothpete. Do you know who stocks it? Is it nice?
  • smoothpete 4 May 2008 09:21:34 31,598 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm not sure who stocks it, you can buy direct from the distillery though according to their website. I'm trying to figure out which one I had, I think it was the bottom right one here. I really liked it, it had certain things in common with the kind of rums I like, quite thick and sweet. Probably not to everyone's tastes but it's one of the nicest single malts I've had

edit - christ, wake up pete. Can't type for shit this morning
  • Nasty 4 May 2008 09:28:40 4,749 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If I'm buying, my hand usually drifts toward the Dalwhinnie 15 year old. Smooth, clean and worth every penny. That or Isle of Jura 10yo . The same clean style but with a bigger aftertaste.

Recently polished off a 10 year old MacCallan Fine Oak (Bit rough round the edges but still nice light flavours with not too much peatiness). My father in law handed over a doublewood 12 year old The Balvenie for fixing up his laptop. It's his favourite but I've never had it before. Looking forward to cracking it open.
  • ketchie38 4 May 2008 18:51:36 8 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mr Harvest wrote:
    Didn't you just buy it a week ago? I hope you had some friends over.
    Yes,you recommended it. Most of my friends drink beer or American whiskey, and besides that was too good to share. I have two drinks every afternoon before supper. Doesn't take long to polish off a bottle. But the problem is that the weak dollar and fuel cost are driving up the cost of single malt over here. Might have to go back to the cheap stuff, especially after my wife gets the credit card bill.
    Norman from South Carolina
  • Deleted user 5 May 2008 09:37:00
    smoothpete wrote:What do you think of Dalmore Mr H?
    I am not Mr H but I have a bottle of 12yr old Dalmore and it's great.

Definitely the most accessible whisky in my otherwise peaty collection. Lots of sweet candy tones in it while still maintaining complexity. Highly recommended.
  • Pike 5 May 2008 09:58:58 13,447 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Two single malts I enjoy I haven't seen metioned here are Cragganmore and Glenfarclas. Both should be good for people who prefer a bit leas peaty taste. The Cragganmore, 12 year old IIRC, is particulary nice, in my opinon.
  • Goban 5 May 2008 11:20:44 9,076 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've currently got a bottle of 15 y o Mortlach, one of the best Speysides going IMO. Also a bottle of 17 yo Littlemill which is a lovely light dram, unfortunately it's no longer producing.
  • mrharvest 5 May 2008 14:47:41 5,200 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Goban wrote:
    I've currently got a bottle of 15 y o Mortlach, one of the best Speysides going IMO.
    Nice! Just finished a bottle of the 16yo two weeks ago. I'd been savouring it for a year.

Have you tried Glenrothes? The 1990 edition I tried was quite sweet, candied apple, cinnamon, touch of dry grass. This 1994 is more of sherry, iodine in nose, bit of a bite, very warming, opens up to taffy & salt. Hints of pure cocoa linger on.
  • Goban 5 May 2008 14:55:58 9,076 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Never tried Glenrothes oddly enough. It's not one that I've come across often. Bit weird considering the amount of time I've spent drinking whisky. I'll need to make a concerted effort.
  • ketchie38 7 May 2008 04:56:54 8 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I wonder if single malt is cheaper in Canada. The way this election is going, I might move there.
    Norman from South Carolina
  • Sorbicol 7 May 2008 08:53:10 591 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've got a bottle of Balblair that I'm nursing through the last couple of inches, it's fantastic stuff was reccommended to me while in the highlands last year. Thankfully I'm heading back at the end of the month so should be able to pick up another bottle.

Other than that, it's Talisker for me. Like the peaty Scotches, not the darker sweeter ones.
  • otto Moderator 7 May 2008 08:53:55 49,320 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @ketchie:

Don't know if it's cheaper than the US, but it's fucking WAY more expensive than it is over here. Very highly taxed, and your choice of whiskies is highly restricted as alcohol distribution is a state monopoly in each province. In my local LCBO in Ottawa for example, you had a choice of two - TWO! - single malts, one of which was Balvenie and I forget the other. They withdrew Laphroaig from sale would you believe!

By the way, has anyone mentioned yet that the best Scotch in the world is now officially Japanese? :o

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• LeoliansBro 7 May 2008 08:57:08 44,555 posts
    Seen 54 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I know it's predictable, but I do like Chivas Regal, and you can find it most everywhere. Smooth but peaty enough to give it some heaviness.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• mrharvest 7 May 2008 09:37:26 5,200 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    otto wrote:
    By the way, has anyone mentioned yet that the best Scotch in the world is now officially Japanese? :o
    I've had 12yo Yoichi. It was very interesting. But I find it difficult to believe it would mature into 'the best in the world' except by novelty value.
  • Deleted user 7 May 2008 12:18:40
    Bought yesterday a bottle of (expensive) Laphroaig Cairdeas, a special edition they make every year. Some interesting words about how it was done.

It's my new favourite, quite similar to L. Cask Strength but more mature. Perhaps it's the 17 years old that contributes to that, even if we'll never know exactly how much 17 years old this issue has. Still, they've made it in a limited edition so this one is a keeper.

I bought the second last bottle in what seems like the entire region, only because the peasants where I live stick to Absolut Vodka and Johnny Walker. :D
  • DocX 8 May 2008 11:50:55 1,963 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    valli wrote:
    Bought yesterday a bottle of (expensive) Laphroaig Cairdeas, a special edition they make every year.

I ordered a bottle from the Laphroaig site last night. Hope it's good! I love the 10 yo & I'm currently supping a bottle of the quarter cask. I'm also quite keen on 12 yo Old Pulteney at the moment (get it from Morrisons).

I must be getting old, because I'm starting to get more of a buzz buying pricey whisky than frittering on gadgets, games, or dvds.

• Deleted user 9 June 2008 15:00:17
    How was it DocX?

I know what you mean: bought recently a Macallan 40s, a Laphroaig 10yr AND a Lagavulin Distiller's Edition. That last one is amazing and has been my most wanted bottle for quite some time. Bliss!
  • urban 9 Jun 2008 15:15:57 10,984 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ugh.

drank a bottle of jura superstition yesterday by myself, my friend toskie managed another bottle of single too, dunno what it was though..

my head hurts
  • DocX 9 Jun 2008 15:31:14 1,963 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    valli wrote:
    How was it DocX?

I know what you mean: bought recently a Macallan 40s, a Laphroaig 10yr AND a Lagavulin Distiller's Edition. That last one is amazing and has been my most wanted bottle for quite some time. Bliss!

I only had a quick snifter when it arrived (can't bare to leave unopened bottles, especially if it's something I haven't tried before). It seemed a bit less peaty & a bit smoother than the Quarter Cask, with a slight sweetness iirc. Lovely stuff anyway.

I think a Lagavulin 16yo will be my next purchase. I just opened a bottle of Arbelor 10yo over the weekend - thought that was very nice for under £20.

Father's Day next week, & I'll hopefully be getting a Glenmorangie - Lasanta or Quinta Ruban. Depending on which one my father in law fancies - I'll have the other one. Hic.
  • otto Moderator 9 Jun 2008 15:32:38 49,320 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    God now I really want a snifter. :(

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• President_Weasel 9 Jun 2008 15:52:52 9,488 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I am thinking of getting that sauternes cask glenmorangie for my dad - not as a father's day present, but in a couple of weeks as a "6 months have passed since that 60th you point blank refused to celebrate, have some whisky you grumpy old bugger" present.
    What do you guys think? Is it worth it? Is there something better in the general price range or slightly more expensive?
  • gamingdave 9 Jun 2008 15:54:46 4,246 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just been on holiday so a couple of duty free bottles for me.

As has been for the last few journeys, on the way out a bottle of the Lagavulin DE, it really is the nicest thing that has ever passed my lips.

On the way back, a bottle of the Laphroaig quater cask. The standard Laphroig was my drink of choice for a while before I started branching out. Tried it last night, and first impressions are very good, but I was very tired and so didnt really relax into it. Will try again tonight. Nice to see it still comes with one of the "1 foot of island" voucher with it, I wonder if I can use multiple vouchers at once, maybe we could build a small EG colony there.

Trip before I tried the Talisker DE (world of whisky wasnt open yet and the duty free shop didnt have the Lagavulin) and whilst its very nice (and the decanter normally has the Talisker 10 in it) its not quite up to the Lagavulin for me.

• DocX 9 Jun 2008 16:24:41 1,963 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    otto wrote:
    God now I really want a snifter. :(

“Moderation sir, aye, moderation is my rule.
    Nine or ten is reasonable refreshment,
    but after that it’s apt to degenerate
    into drinking”

An Old Highland Saying

Nicked from a sig on a whisky forum, seemed appropriate :)
  • Deleted user 9 June 2008 19:10:39
    gamingdave wrote:As has been for the last few journeys, on the way out a bottle of the Lagavulin DE, it really is the nicest thing that has ever passed my lips.
    It's amazing, isn't it?

There's something about the sweetness of the sherry (Ximenez something) that contrasts ridiculously well with the peat. I have a feeling that the sherry taste "matures" the otherwise wild Lagavulin.

Makes you wonder what the Lagavulin 25 yo tastes like...

This one and the Ardbeg Uigedail (sp?) are the best ones I've ever had.
  • DocX 9 Jun 2008 19:24:51 1,963 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My missus is going to Barcelona this week, so I'll ask her to get this DE if she sees it in duty free. I'd been trying to think what to ask for, so nice one for the suggestion guys. I've still got a bit left of a Dalwhinnie DE that wasn't half bad either.
  • delbert 9 Jun 2008 19:42:59 2,889 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Do they stock the Laguvilin DE in normal Duty Free or is it from one of the World of WHiskies as the bottle of the 16yo I'm fast approaching the end of is my fav whiskey so far..

Got a nice Jameson 12yo Distillery REserve on my last visit to Dublin, v nice tho technically not a Single Malt..
  • DaM 9 Jun 2008 22:48:57 13,358 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mr Harvest wrote:
    Clynelish 14yo - £22,99 Not a very well known distillery I'd guess, but at least this basic bottling is quite beautiful. It combines salt&spice with a bit of sweetness. Very balanced.

I had a bottle of this last year, not bad, but my favourite of last year's was Oak Cross, very nice.

My missus is pregnant, and as I have failed to "not drink" for this pregnancy as in the other 2, I have sort of agreed not to get another malt for a few months :( I was thinking about getting a secret bottle, but that is a bit sad....

Looking forward to going to the Oddbins Whisky Megastore in Crow Rd and getting a recommendation, they are normally excellent.
  • Page

of 24 First / Last