The Single Malt Thread Page 18

• Page

of 23 First / Last

• BillMurray 5 Dec 2011 00:14:24 7,742 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bought myself a bottle of 12 year old Dalmore whisky a few years ago on my birthday so might do the same when it comes around in a couple of weeks time. All i've drank lately is cheap wine so it's probably time I had something a bit tastier.
  • elstoof 5 Dec 2011 08:10:52 7,360 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've yet to pick up my Chrimbo gift to myself so any recommendations welcome. Previous years have seen Balvenie 21yo, Ardbeg Uigeadail (bloody marvellous btw) and Bowmore 18yo come and go leaving some good memories behind.

Plus the cheap blend I keep in the decanter has just run out.
  • brokenkey 5 Dec 2011 09:50:07 7,033 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    20% off some nice ones at Waitrose until tomorrow. Can't link but its on the website

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• X201 5 Dec 2011 09:51:04 15,476 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I know its heresy to suggest a blend in the single malt thread, but...

Black Grouse is rather nice.
  • DocX 5 Dec 2011 09:58:43 1,963 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've been meaning to pick up some Naked Grouse, it's supposed to be good.

I will be hitting duty free on Christmas Eve for a couple of nice bottles, not sure what yet though.
  • Madder-Max 5 Dec 2011 10:24:13 11,656 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dont all laugh at me but there is a rather good 12 year old Speyside single malt in Lidl which is excellent. £18. Its a good balance between maltiness and sweetness. Very drinkable. no hangover either

Also a big fan of Talisker. Very peaty but if you let it breathe for a bit you get theses rich caramel type tones. it is an aquired taste and very rich

Also if you like red wines there is a suprsingly good one in Lidl called Taragonna(its got a gold coloured net thing around it. Very smooth and non chemically 2005.....for a fiver.)

Edited by Madder-Max at 10:28:23 05-12-2011

99 problems and being ginger is one

• DocX 5 Dec 2011 11:02:05 1,963 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Aldi will be selling a limited bottling of 40 year old Speyside single malt for £50 on the 8th Dec under some made up name (Glenbridge). I'd get some if I was passing, but I'm not queueing up for it.
  • Han_Solo 5 Dec 2011 11:37:16 413 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Madder-Max - I agree Talisker is simply sublime, even the 10yr old is brilliant and is my nightly tipple. It has also been reduced to 20 of our british pounds in sainsburys. I have had the opportunity to try the 18year old and that is just plain gorgeous.
  • Madder-Max 5 Dec 2011 11:42:28 11,656 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Han_Solo wrote:
    @Madder-Max - I agree Talisker is simply sublime, even the 10yr old is brilliant and is my nightly tipple. It has also been reduced to 20 of our british pounds in sainsburys. I have had the opportunity to try the 18year old and that is just plain gorgeous.
    Awesome. thanks for the info

/puts on xmas list

• Rusty_M 5 Dec 2011 12:31:54 4,690 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I recently discovered I like whisky having been unable to stand the stuff for years. Currently have a bottle of Grouse (yes I know) and a bottle of Old Pulteney in the flat.

Can I join in?

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• elstoof 5 Dec 2011 12:33:54 7,360 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nothing wrong with Grouse or any blend, anyone who dismisses them is missing out. There'd be no whisky industry without them
  • Rusty_M 5 Dec 2011 12:36:12 4,690 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was more referring to the thread title than anything.
    Admittedly I'm still learning what I like, but haven't found any I dislike.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• elstoof 5 Dec 2011 12:42:30 7,360 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This here explains why.

I personally keep something like Grants in a decanter for everyday slurping and "better" stuff in its proper bottles.
  • elstoof 5 Dec 2011 12:45:38 7,360 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, I just wanted to reassure that there's nothing wrong with your choices and to get stuck in. It's all whisky and it's all good IMO.
  • RyanDS 5 Dec 2011 12:52:30 9,377 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, everyone is welcome.

Well apart from people who put ice in their whiskey.

And my brother. Last christmas I had a £120 single cask that I broke open and poured for my guests. (gift obviously, I could never afford that normally.)

I turned away for a minute and when I looked back my brother had poured a can of coke into his.

I had to go stand outside and count to 100. Sliightly unamused.
  • Madder-Max 5 Dec 2011 12:55:46 11,656 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nothing wrong with a couple of lumps for the first wee dram and then room temperature for the duration.

Coke however in any whisky other than jack Daniels (which isn't actually a whisky) is like committing rape. I'm sorry to say this but your brother is a rapist.

Edited by Madder-Max at 12:56:23 05-12-2011

• CosmicFuzz 5 Dec 2011 13:00:35 24,360 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Been getting into my whisky over the past year or so due to my girlfriend's dad. My dad isn't a massive whisky drinker anymore but always enjoys it now and then and so I got him a bottle of 15 year old Glenlivet and some nice glasses that roll around on their side for his chrimbo. Good call?

Although I got fleeced by The whisky shop rather than sainsburys :-(

We're back! Our gaming podcast Open Source returns after a break with a look at Destiny, Minecraft and more. Check us out! (And give us a rating on iTunes please!) :)

• elstoof 5 Dec 2011 13:06:47 7,360 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh Jack's a whiskey alright, just not a bourbon or a malt, it's a Tennessee whiskey.

Those glasses that roll are pretty nice. The right glassware is important I think.
  • RyanDS 5 Dec 2011 13:10:26 9,377 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    The right glassware is important I think.
    I'd agree with this. For me a good whiskey is not just a drink, it's an experience. I love the right glass, the smell and so on.
  • elstoof 5 Dec 2011 13:24:33 7,360 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's not something I drink to get drunk on but to enjoy, and I'm not going to do that as much out of my Mr Men coffee mug eh. I'd recommend these as a cheap and worthwhile thing to invest in.

Edited by elstoof at 13:26:01 05-12-2011
  • X201 5 Dec 2011 14:04:51 15,476 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DocX wrote:
    I've been meaning to pick up some Naked Grouse, it's supposed to be good.
    Saw it in Tesco for the first time, last Saturday.

I think the bloke at Whisky Wire likes it :)

"
    ... a new real premium panache packed, velvety gloved punch of a dram, in the form of 'The Naked Grouse'.

... voluptuous and vivacious swirls of sumptuous sweet sherry shenanigans, followed by a reassuringly rich rumpus of devilishly decedent black cherry infused chocolate ganache, dusted with a flirting flurry of bitter cocoa powder.

A bowl of warm stewed prunes and a tray of homemade honeycomb make for the next set of scintillating sensations, along with subtle wallowing whiffs of spiced oak, smoked maplewood chips and sweet musk.

A bag of vanilla fudge from the concession stand at a funfair and a jar of orange and apricot jam from a judging table at a WI event, then dominate the proceedings briefly, before merging and balancing perfectly with all the aforementioned nasal delights.

The palate which is pretty much a restrained reflection of the nose, kicks off with calming wonderlicious waves of sherry soaked fruits and a gentle ocean spray of orange zest.

An unwrapped bar of Cadburyís fruit and nut chocolate and a jug of Birdís custard, thatís had far too much milk added makes for the next set of palatable protrudements. Followed by half a punnet of gooseberries and a big wedge of victoria sponge cake, filled with spiced cherry jam and not the traditional strawberry conserve, oh the WI will be up in arms.
    "

To nick the punchline to his Jilly Goulden joke from comedian Mark Hirst...

"I think there's a tab of acid in that mate"
  • DocX 5 Dec 2011 14:27:33 1,963 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    :) I'll have to pick some up then, it's only the £30 pricetag that has put me off when there are plenty of cheaper single malts on offer in the supermarkets.
  • gamingdave 6 Dec 2011 11:37:12 4,235 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Moved house at the weekend, first time as a home-owner after having rented for the last 16 years. Thought that deserved something a bit special. Opened one of my reserve bottles of the 2007 bottling of Lagavulin Distillers Edition.

Clearly the finest liquid ever made. Smoky, spicy, fruity, full of flavour but smooth as silk. Simply stunning.

Need to get some of the 2010 bottling before the year is out, but the prices this year are a little higher at an average £60 a bottle (previous years were £45)
  • elstoof 6 Dec 2011 12:08:47 7,360 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ooh sounds very nice indeed. Congratulations on the move, certainly deserves a fitting toast. I'd all but forgotten about Lagavulin but now you've reminded I think I might make one of theirs my Christmas purchase, I got some Cutty Sark yesterday to ride me over.
  • Carlo 11 Dec 2011 20:19:39 18,059 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Madder-Max wrote:
    Also a big fan of Talisker. Very peaty but if you let it breathe for a bit you get theses rich caramel type tones. it is an aquired taste and very rich
    Ah you might be able to help me!

I've let a generous glass of Talisker sit by my my keyboard for about an hour and noticed some pretty serious sediment at the bottom of my glass. I'm used to seeing some particulates in my malts but this has to be a record!

Normal for a Talisker (10 yo, nothing fancy)?

PSN ID: Djini

• Carlo 11 Dec 2011 20:31:19 18,059 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    So what's everyone bought to have over Christmas then?
    Oh I might as well put down my choices:

1. Talisker 10 yo. Heavy and spicy
    2. Glenlivet 15 yo French Oak reserve. One of the best alcohol delivery systems ever created by man :D
    3. Chivas Regal 12 yo. Sweet and fruity

I'm toying with getting one of these... http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/talisker-1999-amoroso-finish-distillers-edition-whisky/ Anyone had it?

PSN ID: Djini

• ILoveThrashMetal 11 Dec 2011 23:57:52 729 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just bought some Japanese single malt,80 quid a bottle.always wanted to try some.thought I'd treat myself for when I tell my mum n dad I'm getting married.
    Can't remember the name but its a 15 year old one so it won't turn me green and make me grow a second head

Arsechickens

• mal 12 Dec 2011 00:43:58 22,558 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nothing fancy new for me - just a drop of Old Pultenay, because I'd run out, and some Aberlour because I don't recall it being bad, and it was very cheap in the supermarket. Make that two bottles. On top of that I've got open a bottle of Black Sheep green (I'll note the thread title doesn't specify whisky) and one of Lagavulin, and a bottle of Uigadeal which I'm savouring. Sadly I've finished that bottle of Ardbeg from before the company got bought out, which was easily comparible with the Uigadeal.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• ModishNouns 12 Dec 2011 01:37:46 4,655 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I got a 10yo Jura for my birthday and very nice it is too :-P
  • Tonka 12 Dec 2011 06:38:38 20,433 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ryandsimmons wrote:
    elstoof wrote:
    The right glassware is important I think.
    I'd agree with this. For me a good whiskey is not just a drink, it's an experience. I love the right glass, the smell and so on.
    I drink my Bowmore from an old capers jar.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Page

of 23 First / Last