of 23 First / Last

• mrharvest 5 Mar 2008 11:39:57 5,184 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    I'm gutted. GUTTED!

Missed the Whiskey show in London, it was last Saturday :((((
    :-O

Why did you tell us it was last Saturday? Now I'm gutted too.
  • DocX 5 Mar 2008 12:09:02 1,963 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    For my 40th birthday (still a few years off, mind) I'm toying with the idea of getting a 40 yo bottle of single malt - something older than me, basically. Anyone have any recommendations, links or thoughts? Is there much available this old that doesn't cost over a few hundred quid? Would it be worth it? The missus is buying, but I don't want to go mad.
  • mrharvest 5 Mar 2008 12:30:15 5,184 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You'll be looking at £100 or so at the least for the less respected bottlings. Strathisla is probably one of the cheapest. Expect to pay £500+ for more respected distilleries. Edit: Although Distilleries-Info (which I trust quite a lot) seems to have liked the other older bottlings of Strathisla quite a lot. Might be worth a go? In fact I might get a bottle of it to see what's what.

Imo no, it won't be worth it. The 20+ whiskys I've had have rarely shown much if any improvement. Get two bottles half your age? It'll cost less and be more gratifying. :)

I luckily got the 'whisky older than your own age' done a few years back so I won't have to do it again.
  • Popzeus 5 Mar 2008 12:34:00 8,272 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Single malts ftw!

Talisker and Jura are my regular tipples as I can restock them at Tesco, but I have bottles of Blair Athol and Edradour for special occasions :)

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• catterz 5 Mar 2008 12:35:25 8,763 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DocX wrote:
    For my 40th birthday (still a few years off, mind) I'm toying with the idea of getting a 40 yo bottle of single malt - something older than me, basically. Anyone have any recommendations, links or thoughts? Is there much available this old that doesn't cost over a few hundred quid? Would it be worth it? The missus is buying, but I don't want to go mad.
    Time machine.

Still stalking this place, old-school style (UID: 1053)

• X201 5 Mar 2008 12:35:53 15,124 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Had a bottle of 30 year old Glenfidich that was amazing.

• Carlo 5 Mar 2008 12:38:01 17,948 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mr Harvest wrote:
    Carlo wrote:
    I'm gutted. GUTTED!

Missed the Whiskey show in London, it was last Saturday :((((
    :-O

Why did you tell us it was last Saturday? Now I'm gutted too.
    What self-respecting Whiskey drinker didn't know about Whiskey Live 2008 FFS!

/throws oat-cakes at you

PSN ID: Djini

• DocX 5 Mar 2008 13:58:51 1,963 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mr Harvest wrote:
    You'll be looking at £100 or so at the least for the less respected bottlings. Strathisla is probably one of the cheapest. Expect to pay £500+ for more respected distilleries. Edit: Although Distilleries-Info (which I trust quite a lot) seems to have liked the other older bottlings of Strathisla quite a lot. Might be worth a go? In fact I might get a bottle of it to see what's what.

Imo no, it won't be worth it. The 20+ whiskys I've had have rarely shown much if any improvement. Get two bottles half your age? It'll cost less and be more gratifying. :)

I luckily got the 'whisky older than your own age' done a few years back so I won't have to do it again.

Cheers for the info. Just had a look, & the 40 yo Strathisla is around £135. Definately worth a punt I think.
  • dufftownallan 5 Mar 2008 21:19:13 4,723 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    im from the whisky capital of the world
    you should all go visit!
    balvenies a better dram by far than glefiddich tho
  • Deleted user 6 April 2008 16:16:09
    Had some Ardbeg Uigeadail for the first time this week. Amazing stuff, probably the best Ardbeg yet. Now I have to buy my own bottle. :)
  • mrharvest 6 Apr 2008 16:29:37 5,184 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Good man. :)

It is absolutely beautiful.
  • Deleted user 6 April 2008 17:35:48
    I've had a bottle of Laphroiag in the house for the last couple of years (not the same one...) but I think I'm 'over' Laphroig now. It's not a very relaxing drink, lovely as it is, and I'm not the sort of person that really needs or wants more than one type of whiskey in the house (even though I'm Scottish!).

So I was going to go with the safe option, a bottle of lovely Glenmorangie, but is there something else comparable that I might like to try, Single Malt-wise? Something not too peaty please!
  • elstoof 6 Apr 2008 18:37:38 6,595 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MrED, The Balvenie 10 yo is great value, so is the Aberfeldy 12 year. Or there's always Monkey Shoulder vatted malt, possibly too gluggable for it's own good..

www.thewhiskyexchange.com has anything and everything you might ever want on there, great website. Let us know what you plump for!
  • Saladin 6 Apr 2008 19:17:26 669 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I went to the Oban distallary a couple of weekends ago for my birthday, and it was great. Not for the Oban, but because I pursuaded my loved ones to purchase me a bottle of Lagavullin's Distiller's Edition.

I love Lagavullin anyway (it's my favourite single malt), but this is pure gold. Matured in a Pedro Ximénez cask, it's beautifully deep, even more so than the bottle of "normal" Lagavullin I have.
  • Deleted user 6 April 2008 21:04:59
    Saladin wrote:Matured in a Pedro Ximénez cask, it's beautifully deep, even more so than the bottle of "normal" Lagavullin I have.
    As a matter of fact, that's my most wanted Double Matured whisky right now. :) I bought a bottle of Oban DM when I was there 3 years ago and also tried them all, except Lagavulin that is.

My favourite from the Distiller's Edition series is Talisker though, don't remember the 2nd cask now but it's absolutely amazing.

Speaking of double matured whiskies, I'd definitely recommend the Balvenie Double Wood (heh) 12 yr.

Glenkinchie used to be another favourite way back before I discovered the peaty ones. :)
  • ketchie38 24 Apr 2008 02:11:54 8 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I am just starting to explore single malts. I have tried Clynelish, Glenmorangie, Laphroaig, and McCelland's. I liked Laphroaig the best and McClelland's the second best. What are some other single malts similar to Laphroaig?
    Norman
  • mrharvest 24 Apr 2008 02:25:29 5,184 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Usually you can bunch different malts by their region.

Laphroaigh is an Islay. So you can start exploring:
    Ardbeg
    Lagavulin
    Bruichladdich
    Bunnahabhain
    Caol Ila

(Roughly in the order of my subjective estimation. Lagavulin is more balanced but Ardbeg is more interesting.)

Also the other islands are in the same region, taste-wise. Try:
    Talisker
    Highland Park

And after those, if you still haven't found more happy acquaintances, you can move to Speysides. It really depends on what particular characteristics of Laphroaig you find pleasing. Try at least Ardbeg and Lagavulin and post back so we can try to target it a bit better.

I hope that helps.
  • Deleted user 24 April 2008 20:53:13
    Lagavulin is probably closer to Laphroaig in terms of taste, there's the "medicine" hint about them both people either love or hate. I really recommend Ardbeg to further explore the Islay whiskies.
  • deem 24 Apr 2008 21:12:49 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mr Harvest, have you ever considered writing about Whisk(e)y?
  • mrharvest 24 Apr 2008 22:12:06 5,184 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    deem wrote:
    Mr Harvest, have you ever considered writing about Whisk(e)y?
    I don't know if I know enough about them to write authoritatively, or have anything really new to say. I fear I'd feel the need to justify my opinions with Jackson's, if that makes sense.
  • deem 24 Apr 2008 22:15:03 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There are plenty of people not fit to clean MJ's shoes that earn decent money writing about Whisk(e)y.
  • ketchie38 25 Apr 2008 01:27:52 8 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Post deleted
  • ketchie38 25 Apr 2008 02:20:26 8 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I like Guiness Stout and Licorice. The best single malt todate is Laphroaig scored on a 1 to 5 scale at 4. all the following have rated 2: Clynelish, Glenmoranange, and Highland Park. McCelland's ranked a 3. I still plan to try Ardbeg, Lagayalin, Oban, Talisker, and Caol Ila. I can not find Bruichladdich or Bunnahabhain.
    Norman from South Carolina
  • ketchie38 3 May 2008 01:39:37 8 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Why has this thread gone dead? Did an outsider get involved and kill it? Do you not play with people from the colonies?
    Norman from South Carolina
  • mrharvest 3 May 2008 11:21:39 5,184 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Caspar, what kinds of tastes do you usually like?

I often recommend Glenmorangie Madeira Finish as a starter, as it has a decent complexity without any overwhelming characteristics. Should go for about £20. Also if you feel like plumping down £25, Waitrose has Aberlour A'bunadh on offer atm at least here down south. It's a cask strength though, so you'll have to learn to add a bit of water to your glass.

Is this the kind of price range you are looking for?

Edit: Also one other on offer at Oddbins, which is imo a good buy:
    Clynelish 14yo - £22,99 Not a very well known distillery I'd guess, but at least this basic bottling is quite beautiful. It combines salt&spice with a bit of sweetness. Very balanced.
  • Deleted user 3 May 2008 11:48:10
    ketchie38 wrote:I still plan to try Ardbeg, Lagayalin, Oban, Talisker, and Caol Ila.
    Since you've mentioned you liked the Laphroaig, then the first 2 are given to try.

Talisker and CI are the most well balanced out of the other 3 with Oban having a salt water/sea weed hint.

Any of those is great btw. Most of those also come in "double matured" editions, something their (common) owner Diageo does with big success. The double maturation improves all of them, imo so keep an eye out for the dark labels.
  • Deleted user 3 May 2008 11:56:03
    Oh, just found the Dr.Whisky archives, lots of good reading and whisky reviews.
  • ketchie38 4 May 2008 05:13:05 8 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've just finished a bottle of Peat Monster by Compas Box Whiskey. It was great. On my 1 to 5 scale it ranked a 4.
    Norman
  • Page

of 23 First / Last