The University Thread Page 3

• Page

of 90 First / Last

• otto Moderator 18 Jun 2008 20:05:58 49,298 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Pho-Zoon wrote:
    /currently getting pressured into applying to Oxford
    Think about it. It's not as much fun as some other places, cos it's bloody hard work, and the kids there (far from being elitist fucks) tend to be asperger cases with severe social disabilities, but it's an incredible experience. Also, it will set you up for life. Twenty years later and despite some really very good stuff on my CV it still seems to be my Oxford 1st that gets recruiters' knickers wet.

/is god's gift

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Deleted user 18 June 2008 20:09:18
    otto wrote:
    Pho-Zoon wrote:
    Think about it. It's not as much fun as some other places, cos it's bloody hard work, and the kids there tend to be asperger cases with severe social disabilities...
    Really, this is more than enough to turn me off completely. I appreciate the long term benefits, but committing myself to something I might end up hating for three years just doesn't appeal.

That, and I've become increasingly lazy over the last 12 months. I don't think I could handle the workload.
  • M83J01P97 18 Jun 2008 20:09:46 6,522 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    otto wrote:
    Pho-Zoon wrote:
    Think about it. It's not as much fun as some other places, cos it's bloody hard work, and the kids there (far from being elitist fucks) tend to be asperger cases with severe social disabilities, but it's an incredible experience. Also, it will set you up for life. Twenty years later and despite some really very good stuff on my CV it still seems to be my Oxford 1st that gets recruiters' knickers wet.

/is god's gift

And have you been back since?

I was working in Oxford a couple of times earlier this year and staying with student friends down there and heard nothing but horror stories concerning some of the Oxford people.

I'm sure it's a very good university indeed, but sadly, it doesn't attract the friendly types you want to meet for a normal university experience, the sort of people you will become long time friends with ect.

Going to university isn't just about the education, it's also about life learning.
  • Syrette 18 Jun 2008 20:10:27 43,060 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fucking missing it madly already. Less than a month since my last exam, get my results through on July 11th.

• Deleted user 18 June 2008 20:11:50
    Pho-Zoon wrote:
    otto wrote:
    Pho-Zoon wrote:
    Think about it. It's not as much fun as some other places, cos it's bloody hard work, and the kids there tend to be asperger cases with severe social disabilities...
    Really, this is more than enough to turn me off completely. I appreciate the long term benefits, but committing myself to something I might end up hating for three years just doesn't appeal.

That, and I've become increasingly lazy over the last 12 months. I don't think I could handle the workload.
    Bah, last post on the page.
  • Syrette 18 Jun 2008 20:11:55 43,060 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wow, didn't realise the OP was mine. Amazing how long ago it feels.

For anyone at uni, make the absolute most of it, you might never have it so good. I don't think I will.

• cubbymoore 18 Jun 2008 20:13:18 36,468 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah finished as well, alright course, university procedure was a shambles, everyone on my course got a 2:1 even the shit people, don't know why I bothered really as I'm looking at work now and I still feel unqualified.
  • M83J01P97 18 Jun 2008 20:14:04 6,522 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    foreverafternothing wrote:
    Wow, didn't realise the OP was mine. Amazing how long ago it feels.

For anyone at uni, make the absolute most of it, you might never have it so good. I don't think I will.

Yeah, it goes by so quick and once it's over you really do miss the life you have been allowed to live for the past 3 or 4 years.

It's just a shame the whole process has to leave you with so much debt in most cases.
  • otto Moderator 18 Jun 2008 20:14:44 49,298 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Pho-Zoon wrote:

That's fair enough mate, it's not for everyone, and you should enjoy your time at Uni. And a slightly more attractive CV is not worth sacrificing three or four years of your life. Christ knows there are other great unis out there which will also give you a massive boost.

@ M83J01P97 - I've not been back recently but I'm sure it's the same as it was in my time. A lot of kids who took a long time to settle, and spent a lot of it looking over their shoulders at each other and feeling inadequate.

I was fairly miserable for my first two years there; I loved my final two years. Made friends for life and met some fantastic people. You just need to grow into yourself and meet the right people, which everyone does. As you say, it's not just about the coursework, it's about life learning.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Syrette 18 Jun 2008 20:17:58 43,060 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Looking back at it I'm missing it so much already I'm kind of annoyed I didn't fail a year on purpose or swap courses half way through, just to get another year out of it.

As sad as that sounds.

• Deleted user 18 June 2008 20:20:14
    HybridR wrote:
    Pho-Zoon wrote:
    otto wrote:
    Pho-Zoon wrote:

Any idea what uni/course you want to apply for?
    English Literature. My first choice of university will most likely be UCL, provided I can bail out of my school's Oxbridge application programme.
  • cubbymoore 18 Jun 2008 20:22:41 36,468 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    foreverafternothing wrote:
    Looking back at it I'm missing it so much already I'm kind of annoyed I didn't fail a year on purpose or swap courses half way through, just to get another year out of it.

As sad as that sounds.
    I know people who had to re-do a year, they really didn't enjoy it. Plus we looked down on them.
  • Syrette 18 Jun 2008 20:38:05 43,060 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Inquisitor wrote:
    This has hit me harder than I thought it would. Simply scared of the future or genuinely distraught by the loss of uni lifestyle?

Probably a bit of both, I'm a bit emo though so it doesn't surprise me.

I was terribel on saturday when I went out, only went with about 4 other guys and I got drunk and got very depressed...I think they found it a bit funny but then I wouldn't really know how to react if I were in their situation, doesn't help that most of them are on a 4 year course anyway :)
    I did a lot of stuff, socially, in the last month and I'm now completely skint. Made the most of the time I had, and now it's over pretty much. Utterly gutted.

• Deleted user 18 June 2008 20:46:05
    So which course did you do, otto? More importantly, what were your O-Level and A-Level grades like?
  • captaineurogamer 18 Jun 2008 20:49:32 4,322 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    For me its simple go university dont talk to anyone dont look at anyone, go home.
  • craigy Staff 18 Jun 2008 20:51:12 7,496 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Right.
  • captaineurogamer 18 Jun 2008 20:57:00 4,322 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    Right.

Really its only when I have to do those group courseworks I communicate with others. Mind you When I choose my modules I look out for it and try and avoid it. If its core then I have to accept it and move on.
  • Deleted user 18 June 2008 20:57:59
    Boring sock.
  • captaineurogamer 18 Jun 2008 20:59:18 4,322 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pho-Zoon wrote:
    Boring sock.

I am genuine if you dont believe it you are free to feel like that. On the internet I am different person all together.
  • M83J01P97 18 Jun 2008 21:26:27 6,522 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Inquisitor wrote:
    My course was sadly a bit like that Cpt. Luckily I made a shit load of good friends in my halls (we hold or held the world record for longest line of dancing drag queens which I was a part of) but my course is (was, heh) sadly very...distant. You ended up doing essentially entirely different courses from the people you talked with in first year so I made few good mates there.

Yeah, throughout my three years of uni there was literally only one module that I knew someone else in.

Everyone I actually knew and hung out with at uni were people I had known from halls in my first year seeing as you have more time to develop a bond with them then the random people you have to sit in silence with for most lectures etc.
  • Benno 18 Jun 2008 21:44:25 9,759 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We should show the starving african kids this thread.

EG Hearthstone Tournament

• otto Moderator 18 Jun 2008 21:50:47 49,298 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Pho-Zoon wrote:
    So which course did you do, otto? More importantly, what were your O-Level and A-Level grades like?
    Greats - i.e. Latin & Greek literature, Ancient History, Philosophy.

13 O levels, 4 A levels, all 'A's, except for Additional Maths & Physics at which I sucked, got 'B's for them at O level. Did English, Latin, Mediaeval History and Generlol Studies at A level. This was in the days before GCSE & AS levels and such newfangled devilry as A 'star'.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• captaineurogamer 18 Jun 2008 21:53:21 4,322 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    otto wrote:
    Pho-Zoon wrote:
    Greats - i.e. Latin & Greek literature, Ancient History, Philosophy.

13 O levels, 4 A levels, all 'A's, except for Additional Maths & Physics at which I sucked, got 'B's for them at O level. Did English, Latin, Mediaeval History and Generlol Studies at A level. This was in the days before GCSE & AS levels and such newfangled devilry as A 'star'.

Wow. Good results I am ashamed to list mine. Again well done
  • otto Moderator 18 Jun 2008 21:54:49 49,298 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, well, it was fucking ages ago. Doesn't mean a damn thing in the long run.

Well. Interweb bragging rights. I suppose that counts for something. \o/

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• captaineurogamer 18 Jun 2008 21:58:24 4,322 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The only thing bad I can say is that for an intelligant man like yourself you done General Studies. Apart from that its truly the aces.
  • gareth886 18 Jun 2008 22:25:26 2,841 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It was the weirdest feeling in my life finishing Uni. The best 4 years of my life and I'm still wanting to go back (3 years after graduating).

For the first time in my life I didn't know what comes next or where I was going to be in 1 years time (or even 3 months down the line). Up until that point I always new what was coming up next, ie. High School, College, Uni.

I've been doing the 9-5 rat race since and I'm already fed up.
  • captaineurogamer 18 Jun 2008 22:28:21 4,322 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    gareth886 wrote:
    It was the weirdest feeling in my life finishing Uni. The best 4 years of my life and I'm still wanting to go back (3 years after graduating).

For the first time in my life I didn't know what comes next or where I was going to be in 1 years time (or even 3 months down the line). Up until that point I always new what was coming up next, ie. High School, College, Uni.

I've been doing the 9-5 rat race since and I'm already fed up.

Fortunately I am self employed it enables me to do the important things on time and lets me work when I want. University is kind of important to me now as well. But I am in an okay position.
  • Page

of 90 First / Last