• Page

of 90 First / Last

• minkyqueen 10 Nov 2005 10:50:53 1,880 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Slurpy J wrote:
    Excellent, for 9:41 am!

What uni are you at Minky?

St. Mary's, it's a wee campus of Surrey University based in Strawberry Hill, West London.
  • FairgroundTown 10 Nov 2005 11:37:42 2,522 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Furbs wrote:
    /lived at home when studying
    /avoided stupid debts for the rest of his life as a result
    /missed out on the best time of his life as a result
    I did that for two years while I was doing my masters, and had a great time, but... my parents are generally pretty cool, and my then-girlfriend had a room on campus, so... The only difficult moment was when a mate of mine was supposed to be staying over - we got very drunk and lost each other, so he went back to my place (ie. my parents place) and tried to break in at 2 in the morning. The old man was NOT a happy teddy!
  • cubbymoore 10 Nov 2005 15:58:04 36,501 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Woo boy, we had a presentation to do for today at 9 so I stayed up all night preparing a powerpoint presentation. Fell asleep on the keyboard (oh the cliché!) and woke up at 9:30. Yeah, I'm in everyones good books today.
  • minkyqueen 10 Nov 2005 16:07:34 1,880 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:
    Woo boy, we had a presentation to do for today at 9 so I stayed up all night preparing a powerpoint presentation. Fell asleep on the keyboard (oh the cliché!) and woke up at 9:30. Yeah, I'm in everyones good books today.

Man, I could never ever leave preparing an assesment until the night before. I think I'd explode. I know everyone does it, but I don't think I could.
  • cubbymoore 10 Nov 2005 16:09:27 36,501 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    To be fair we only realized we needed the powerpoint presentation yesterday, so I took it upon myself to do it. Stupid lecturers forgetting to tell us important info, grrr.
  • minkyqueen 10 Nov 2005 16:21:59 1,880 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:
    To be fair we only realized we needed the powerpoint presentation yesterday, so I took it upon myself to do it. Stupid lecturers forgetting to tell us important info, grrr.

That's pretty gay! At least they'll be less willing to kick up a fuss since they were partially responsible ;D
  • Syrette 2 Oct 2006 01:59:22 43,747 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So, erm, how's it going for everyone?

So far year 2 has been alright for me, only just getting back into it though.

Hope it's going well for everyone, especially the freshers.

• Boundy 2 Oct 2006 10:11:20 959 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's going fucking great for me. :D

At Salford Uni and the SU bar is quite good and always has a fair amount of people in, cheap drinks and a good atmosphere. Been into Manchester for a night out about 4 times as well and must say it is rather good and a lot better than Wolverhampton.

My course (Multimedia and Internet Technology) is also going well and I find all my modules interesting and enjoyable (except Study Skills :p).

Living in a house (single sex) of 11 lads and get on with everyone and we all have a great laugh and throw regular parties.

This weekend I spent at Halton Army Training Camp doing my OTC selection, what a bitch that was but so fucking worth it in the end. Spent last night in the Army Mess getting pissed and dancing like an idiot (everyone did this :p). Find out Tuesday if I am in. :D

Having Fun!
  • Syrette 7 Oct 2006 16:22:56 43,747 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Awesome :)

• Daryoon 7 Oct 2006 17:09:58 4,640 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm finding uni....exactly like college, only now I'm surrounded by even more shallow morons...
  • Tomo 7 Oct 2006 18:10:28 13,945 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well played Daryoon. Personally, I enjoyed Sixth Form more than I do university, in terms of having a laugh with mates. But, uni life is offering me plenty of useful ways of getting some work and life experience.
  • Pob 7 Oct 2006 18:50:01 680 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    House party tonight for me! \o/
  • Daryoon 7 Oct 2006 18:53:05 4,640 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't remember Sixth Form much, but it wasn't like this! Just looking through the fliers for student nights make me despair. A "shower of beer"? Why can't you just drink a fecking pint?

The local "student nightclub" has an obsession with special "celebrity" guests. The "celebrities" are all ex-Love Isalnd contestants.

The lack of decent shenanigans depresses me. Everything seems to be about getting drunk and sleeping around. "School Disco"? "Beach Party - Wear as Little as you Dare!"

ugh
  • Clive_Dunn 7 Oct 2006 18:55:28 4,782 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Daryoon wrote:
    Everything seems to be about getting drunk and sleeping around. "School Disco"? "Beach Party - Wear as Little as you Dare!"

Which Uni is this ?

/applies.
  • Tomo 7 Oct 2006 18:56:52 13,945 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We share the same views on these things Daryoon. Don't worry tho, you'll find a group of friends with similar tastes and it'll be all gravy.
  • HarryB 7 Oct 2006 19:35:32 6,253 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I found 1st year shit and boring, I didn't like many people in my class
    2nd year is way better and im actually liking some people in my year now, plus all my mates go to the same uni as me so i see them everyday anyway...
  • otto Moderator 28 May 2007 11:16:19 49,320 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    University was literally the best of times and worst of times for me.

Good things:
    - my course: the most interesting four years of my life, studying something that fascinated me, being taught by the people who wrote the books, having my brain on turbo-boost for four incredibly stimulating years
    - my surroundings: four years in one of the most beautiful cities on earth, surrounded by culture, tradition and history, every day was an orgy of the senses
    - my friends: got to know some good people at uni
    - the sex: it'll never be as good (or frequent) as it was then... :/

Bad things:
    - the work: never worked so hard in my life, I busted a gut and burned myself out, barely had time to enjoy what I was doing
    - the people: never met such an insecure, egotistical, unpleasant bunch of people in my life as my fellow students (with only a few very important exceptions), lots of immature youngsters with massive chips on their shoulders and zero social skills, all desperately trying to outcool each other - horrible horrible horrible
    - the money: rather the lack of it
    - the bitches: they know who they are ;p

It got a lot better as time went on - first year was traumatic and horrible, second year a bit better, the last two years were nothing short of superb. We all grew up, I suppose. That's what it's there for.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Furbs 14 Jun 2007 22:45:51 45,699 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    /lived at home when studying
    /avoided stupid debts for the rest of his life as a result
    /missed out on the best time of his life as a result
  • Furbs 14 Jun 2007 22:45:51 45,699 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh totally. Only reason I stayed to study at home was most of my mates werent shall I say "academically inclined" so I didnt want to move away. Plus I was really enjoying my football team at the time.

Like you say, it has plus and minus points, but theres alot of times I think "wish I'd got to know people better". It wasnt really till the 3rd year I started to, and as a result I've now lost touch with everyone as I wasnt really strong friends with them.
  • Benno 18 Jun 2008 19:41:03 10,008 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hmm thanks for reflecting, i wil try and avoid the same pitfalls ;)

What are you going to do now then?
  • Deleted user 18 June 2008 19:51:24
    What A-Levels are you doing atm?

/currently getting pressured into applying to Oxford
  • mrharvest 18 Jun 2008 19:52:48 5,200 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mr Harvest wrote:
    I'm doing a poetry club degree (English lit / creative writing ba). It feels like a preschool. I have hardly any classes and two thirds of those we sit around in a circle chatting idly. Our self study is writing what ever we fancy and reading novels.
    It was exactly like that for the whole three years. Piss easy assessments, I don't believe anyone who aimed for a first didn't come out with one.

Now I'm unemployed.
  • Deleted user 18 June 2008 19:57:45
    Ach.
  • El_MUERkO 18 Jun 2008 19:58:42 17,074 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    i strongly approve of unisex but disapprove of unicycles
  • M83J01P97 18 Jun 2008 20:00:36 6,668 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Don't go to Oxford. Unless of course you like being surrounded by elitist fucks who think they are god's gift to the world.
  • Danbojones 18 Jun 2008 20:03:03 419 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I did nowt but spazz about at uni really, think I made one seminar and I'm now, technically, a journalist. Huge debts, but hey, it was fun. I did do philosophy though, which had 3 hours of lectures and a recommended 40 hours of reading a week in my final year. I landed on my lucky, lucky feet.

/smug off
  • otto Moderator 18 Jun 2008 20:03:40 49,320 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    M83J01P97 wrote:
    Don't go to Oxford. Unless of course you like being surrounded by elitist fucks who think they are god's gift to the world.
    Bitter much? Didn't get an offer? :/

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Deleted user 18 June 2008 20:05:00
    Where'd you go otto?
  • Page

of 90 First / Last