The University Thread

• Page

of 90 First / Last

Previous
  • Syrette 4 Nov 2005 19:01:26 43,524 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    i know theres a number of ex and current uni students on this here forum, so i'm just interested to hear of people's experiences, especially those of Freshers like myself.

i'm a fresher at Lincoln, doing Media Culture and Communication with Journalism and so far the course is going alright, though i'm starting to miss a few too many lectures and seminars. social life is worryingly quiet right now - most evenings this week its just been stay in and play Pro Evo 5 with flatmates - but at least this means my finances haven't taken too much of a hit.

over to you...

• Bill-Gates-is-Evil 4 Nov 2005 19:03:35 8,934 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    is "Uni" the name of a college or is it just short for "University"?

and here we call the freshmen "fish".

"here fishie fishie fishie /whistles"
  • Syrette 4 Nov 2005 19:06:06 43,524 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Furbs wrote:
    /lived at home when studying
    /avoided stupid debts for the rest of his life as a result
    /missed out on the best time of his life as a result
    sorry to hear that man. i personally can see the attraction in not having to pay off the debt but to be honest i'd rather have that hanging over my head if it means i can enjoy the social life of the uni experience. one of my friends is doing the same as you did, and feel sorry for her. she'll come to regret it too i'm sure.

• Furbs 4 Nov 2005 19:10:24 45,699 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • cubbymoore 4 Nov 2005 19:19:06 36,498 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This week's been pretty hectic, doing drama and the workshops are getting more and more strenuous (particularly the yoga) and we're performing next week, even though our group is no-where near ready.

But I've still found plenty of time this week for playing poker till 6 in the morning (got rinsed dammit), going to a party as a pirate, going out clubbing dressed as a businessman with his back slashed open, getting stoned, playing pro evo, getting stoned and playing pro evo, watching wallace and gromit, wrapping myself up with a duvet and walkin about, and killing brain cells, particularly the ones I need to remember my lines with.

All in all not too shabby.
  • Angel_Treats 4 Nov 2005 19:31:48 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah Bill, uni is short for University.

I didn't go to uni :( I bummed around for a few years not really knowing what to do with myself. I'm making up for it now though, but I've missed out on the few years at university getting pished and doing all the normal uni stuff.
  • Tomo 4 Nov 2005 19:42:19 13,918 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Personally, I think uni is overrated. I'm enjoying it but I've had a fairly unusual life coming to the end of my teens and also I found 6th Form to be much better.

It's probably due to the fact that I don't drink, therefore I don't find getting absolutely bladdered appealing. Hence, the most common reason people enjoy uni doesn't apply to me.
  • Bill-Gates-is-Evil 4 Nov 2005 19:51:56 8,934 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    not drinking when you go to college is like never missing a class. it's just wrong.

Edited by Bill Gates is Evil at 19:58:16 04-11-2005
  • phat-marker-pen 4 Nov 2005 19:54:27 17 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    Unless you physically can't.
  • StixxUK 4 Nov 2005 19:59:22 7,255 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's not for everyone. Different strokes for different folks.
  • DrPhil 4 Nov 2005 20:21:07 693 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm a fresher and have so far been too scared to look at my bank balance.

good times though...
  • cubbymoore 4 Nov 2005 20:24:17 36,498 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Oh man don't even get me thinking about how much I've spent so far, I had over a thousand to last me this semester and I'm pretty sure I must be in my overdraft now :(

Like Dylan Moran says, you always have less than you think, so I'm shittin meself. That's while I'm sober though, so the worrying doesn't last too long.
  • DrPhil 4 Nov 2005 20:36:58 693 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    iv only been shopping once though, so hopefully it wont be that bad.

Iv been living off 8% pork sausage rolls. 2.50 for 100

Full of all the goodness of yeast extract
  • mrharvest 4 Nov 2005 20:43:24 5,198 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm doing a poetry club degree (English lit / creative writing ba). It feels like a preschool. I have hardly any classes and two thirds of those we sit around in a circle chatting idly. Our self study is writing what ever we fancy and reading novels.

Edit: Oops. I was supposed to quote, not edit. Oh well.
  • deem 4 Nov 2005 20:43:42 31,641 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • cubbymoore 4 Nov 2005 21:03:14 36,498 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah a solid group of mates is kinda lacking at the moment, I'm kind of flitting from one group to another at the moment. It means I get to do loads of different stuff all the time but I can't honestly say I've met that many people I'd actually willingly talk to in any other circumstance*, hope that gets better with time.

Oh yeah I just checked my balance and I've just gone into my overdraft, got two months to go yet!

*It does help that one of my best mates is here with me at uni, but he's on another campus so I don't get to see him that often

Edited by cubbymoore at 21:12:26 04-11-2005
  • Syrette 5 Nov 2005 15:58:31 43,524 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    i'm in sort of a similar situation, i usually find myself hanging out with the same people. they're nice people, no doubt, but we just don't have much in common, and i'd rather find myself in a group with similar interests.

• Mr_Dave 5 Nov 2005 16:03:26 496 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm in my fourth year of my computer science degree at bristol, and this year just feels like one year too many. My girlfriend graduated this summer and I'm now envious of her having an interesting job and earning a proper wage.

Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed being at university, but it just feels like it's gone on a bit too long.
  • Syrette 10 Nov 2005 09:15:25 43,524 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    i have a little bit of a worry. every Thursday i have a journalism lecture at 9, i went to it for the first 3 or 4 weeks fine. then around the 5th week i missed it, went the week after, didn't go last week and due to what feels like the start of an inflammed ear i've put off going today as well.

put simply, i'm not fucked am i?

i'm a fresher in my first semester and to be fair they do paste the lecture notes up on their portal, but i feel really guilty about missing these few lectures.

Edited by foreverafternothing at 09:22:46 10-11-2005

• minkyqueen 10 Nov 2005 09:30:30 1,880 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    foreverafternothing wrote:
    i have a little bit of a worry. every Thursday i have a journalism lecture at 9, i went to it for the first 3 or 4 weeks fine. then around the 5th week i missed it, went the week after, didn't go last week and due to what feels like the start of an inflammed ear i've put off going today as well.

i'm a fresher in my first semester and to be fair they do paste the lecture notes up on their portal, but i feel really guilty about missing these few lectures.

You're probably not fucked, no. But you are giving yourself a bad reputation by missing lectures. As a goodietwoshoes who goes to all her lectures, my tutors feel the need to vent their frustrations at me about students who miss half a semester of lectures and don't bother trying to catch up.

You should really get in touch with your tutor and just say that you weren't well the past few weeks, tell them you've got the notes off the portal, and ask if there is anything else you need to know that was mentioned in the lectures.

Then again, at my uni (tiny campus), the tutors don't have secretaries and I can just walk into their office at any time for a chat about shit. I hear this isn't the standard practice at most universities?
  • minkyqueen 10 Nov 2005 09:34:47 1,880 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It happens!

buddum tish
  • Dougs 10 Nov 2005 09:37:45 67,784 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I absolutely loved my time at Uni (well, old poly really). 3 years on almost non-stop boozing, especially the first year. Did Sports Science, although to this day I have no idea why, and had a ball. I did actually do some work in my 3rd year, so if you are on campus, I would def recommend staying off-site for years 2 and 3, just in case you do want to get some work done. Although I occassionally felt like I was missing out, it did help me in the long run.

In terms of lectures, I think the first year I had about 20 hours a week. By the last semester of year 3, that had gone down to 6 (!) so it does take a bit of self-discipline. And 3 hours of those was on a Thurs morning. Don't they realise Wed with football etc was THE time we all went out?!

Great times though, and still in touch with 90% of the mates I made there. Not bad considering I left 9 years ago!
  • Syrette 10 Nov 2005 09:38:02 43,524 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    minkyqueen wrote:

You're probably not fucked, no. But you are giving yourself a bad reputation by missing lectures. As a goodietwoshoes who goes to all her lectures, my tutors feel the need to vent their frustrations at me about students who miss half a semester of lectures and don't bother trying to catch up.

You should really get in touch with your tutor and just say that you weren't well the past few weeks, tell them you've got the notes off the portal, and ask if there is anything else you need to know that was mentioned in the lectures.

Then again, at my uni (tiny campus), the tutors don't have secretaries and I can just walk into their office at any time for a chat about shit. I hear this isn't the standard practice at most universities?
    no secretaries here either as far as i know - and its a large campus - instead they have 'opening times' where they will always be around.

as far as i know this is the only lecture/seminar i have where there is no register, so as far as i know they don't know about my small situation. especially since i have not been sent any emails or anything like that.

thanks for your help.

• souljah 10 Nov 2005 09:40:23 4,701 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Im in my second year of a engineering course in Glasgow. Very very tough course, and the fact that Im roughly about 10 years older than most of my fellow students doesnt make things easier.
  • Murbal 10 Nov 2005 09:40:53 22,223 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    /Can't believe he graduated 10 years ago

Loved my time at Kingston in early nineties, but seem to have lost touch with just about everone since moving to the West. Had a top time though, but still can't believe the hair - 3 years without a cut ffs!

Edited by Murbal at 09:48:13 10-11-2005
  • Syrette 10 Nov 2005 09:46:07 43,524 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    anyway, the way i see it, is that my first semester here has thus far been a bit of a disappointment. personally, i haven't so far put enough effort into things and i'm letting myself down.

hopefully, and almost certainly, i'll be reinvigorated after the Christmas break in time for semester B.

• Dougs 10 Nov 2005 10:13:49 67,784 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    anyway, the way i see it, is that my first semester here has thus far been a bit of a disappointment. personally, i haven't so far put enough effort into things and i'm letting myself down.

hopefully, and almost certainly, i'll be reinvigorated after the Christmas break in time for semester B.

The way I found things (and they may be different now) is that the first semester was purely to try and bring everyone up to the same level, and if you've got any background in the degree you're doing, it might not be that taxing, which is de-motivating in itself. And much needed, to allow time to get ovedr the hangovers....
  • mrharvest 10 Nov 2005 10:21:10 5,198 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If you want to be challenged just pick up extra curricular projects. It's the guaranteed way of burning yourself out. I remember with dread the 12-14 hour days I did in college before I dropped out. Sure, it was fun to a degree but enough is enough.
  • Page

of 90 First / Last

Previous