The X-Factor Thread Page 3

• Page

of 280 First / Last

• djchump 31 Oct 2005 16:14:16 4,463 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    Shouldn't laugh. A lot of these suckers (sorry, "stars") get really royally reamed by the record company, to the extent that very few of 'em actually make any serious money.

Peej
    lol - the lads in East17 were all on something crap like 120 a week, one said he was getting more money as a builder.
    The one in East17 that wrote the songs (think it was the piano player) made a shitload of ca$h though, didn't share it, which is fair enough :-)
    Still, bet the groupies and free drugs/alcohol was plenty fun so I don't think they can complain really ;-)
  • pjmaybe 31 Oct 2005 16:28:50 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Aye - it must be a fun lifestyle for a while, but I wonder how many of 'em just sign the contract without looking at the "opt out of residuals / BRS payments" small print.

It's actually possible to make more money shoving your stuff out on the net than it would be to sign up with some major label.

Peej
  • morriss 31 Oct 2005 16:30:18 71,283 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    djchump wrote:
    pjmaybe wrote:
    Shouldn't laugh. A lot of these suckers (sorry, "stars") get really royally reamed by the record company, to the extent that very few of 'em actually make any serious money.

Peej
    lol - the lads in East17 were all on something crap like 120 a week, one said he was getting more money as a builder.
    The one in East17 that wrote the songs (think it was the piano player) made a shitload of ca$h though, didn't share it, which is fair enough :-)
    Still, bet the groupies and free drugs/alcohol was plenty fun so I don't think they can complain really ;-)

Sadly enough East17 are my only claim to fame. I'm a Walthamstow lad...London E.17 :(
  • laur 31 Oct 2005 16:42:44 1,213 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This seems to suggest that single sales at least are following a downward trend.
    Albums are selling more every year though (until 2003).
  • Angel_Treats 31 Oct 2005 16:46:05 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I used to love E17. How sad! Although in my school you *had* to like either Take That or E17 so I didn't have much to choose from ;-)

Morris btw, you're not too far from us, we live in sunny Clapton. You should get your arse along to a geekmeet, you are local after all :)

Edited by Angel_Treats at 16:51:51 31-10-2005
  • Angel_Treats 31 Oct 2005 16:49:32 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ace Grace wrote:

Or conversely, anyone who a a house immaculately clean must also be mentally ill.

Um. Guilty... most of the time anyway!

I do get a wee bit obsessive about cleaning from time to time.
  • laur 31 Oct 2005 16:50:04 1,213 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone with a house not immaculately clean or a total tip is also mentally ill.
  • ssuellid 31 Oct 2005 16:55:03 19,141 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My kitchen is exceptionally clean when I can be bothered - I have 3 cloths just to clean and polish the hob. But then as soon as you use the hob it looks filthy again - never buy a stainless steel hob.

/hires cleaner
  • morriss 31 Oct 2005 17:02:34 71,283 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Angel_Treats wrote:
    I used to love E17. How sad! Although in my school you *had* to like either Take That or E17 so I didn't have much to choose from ;-)

Morris btw, you're not too far from us, we live in sunny Clapton. You should get your arse along to a geekmeet, you are local after all :)

..believe me I'd love to, but after emigrating to Denmark it's not as easy as all that! ;)

But one day I might just arrange a trip home around one these, they sound great fun.
  • Angel_Treats 31 Oct 2005 17:05:55 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ssuellid wrote:
    My kitchen is exceptionally clean when I can be bothered - I have 3 cloths just to clean and polish the hob. But then as soon as you use the hob it looks filthy again - never buy a stainless steel hob.

/hires cleaner

We have a stainless steel microwave and toaster and they hardly ever look clean, despite my best efforts there's always a grubby handprint or two. Now the cats are a bit bigger they can jump onto the kitchen worktops, the last sacred place in the house that was, I dunno how we'll charge up the phones and various handheld consoles. Anyway we'll be trying to train them not to do it but in the meantime I'll be even more obsessively wiping the worktops constantly in case a wee paw touched where I want to put food.

Morriss: You should do. Get your arse over for the Christmas meet, it'll be great fun.
  • ssuellid 31 Oct 2005 17:08:45 19,141 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Angel_Treats wrote:
    We have a stainless steel microwave and toaster and they hardly ever look clean, despite my best efforts there's always a grubby handprint or two.

e cloths are the best so far. You can get them in different grades - a rough ish one for picking up the crap and then a fine one for polishing off.
  • Angel_Treats 31 Oct 2005 17:10:03 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    E cloths? Is that the brand name?

Never mind, found them. I think we have some of those lying around, actually!

Edited by Angel_Treats at 17:15:48 31-10-2005
  • ssuellid 31 Oct 2005 17:13:18 19,141 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    E-cloth great on glass as well. They say no need to use chemicals but they seem to work better with them.
  • deem 31 Oct 2005 17:17:05 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Angel_Treats 3 Dec 2005 23:00:50 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Does anyone know who got voted off tonight's show? I missed it :(
  • binky Moderator 3 Dec 2005 23:09:15 9,813 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Chico.

*cough* apparently *cough*
  • Angel_Treats 3 Dec 2005 23:30:18 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hehe!

Thanks mate. It's about time, really. I'll watch a repeat tomorrow on ITV3.
  • ProfessorLesser 3 Dec 2005 23:37:05 19,399 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Angel_Treats wrote:
    Hehe!

Thanks mate. It's about time, really. I'll watch a repeat tomorrow on ITV3.
    Chico is the reason I've been watching it. You have to admit, he is good. Even if he can't win (and obviously he shouldn't), he's enjoying himself.

The rest are now all same old, same old. Brenda and Shane blatantly already have careers in music ahead of them. Andy's will die young, seeing as all he can sing is the ballad, and Journey South will fade into obscurity.

Great.
  • Boof 4 Dec 2005 00:17:01 418 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Whatever happened to good old fashioned song writing, living out of a camper van, playing student union bars hoping for a break and living on baked beans?
  • rauper Staff 4 Dec 2005 00:24:20 3,334 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm going to the final! la la la :D:D:D
  • binky Moderator 4 Dec 2005 01:04:29 9,813 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    rauper wrote:
    I'm going to the final! la la la :D:D:D
    Gutted ;)
  • kentmonkey 4 Dec 2005 09:51:18 20,846 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I thought Chico was good, obviously not at singing but he enjoyed himself so much and entertained. Journey South for me, I think they could be good. Is it just me or has Shayne been utter crap apart from that Daniel Beddingfield song? His voice is so soft and he just seems to get the votes due to his looks rather than his talent.

Brenda's good and I like her but I can't see anything much coming from a music deal there, other than Gloria Gaynor covers.
  • Furbs 14 Jun 2007 22:45:51 45,699 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    zErOb_cOOl wrote:
    doc-yipee wrote:
    Elvis didn't write his own songs or cook his own pies
    Its just the shameful way its all gone about that gets me going. Its like the X Factor show is telling me, and the general public, that this person IS a good artist. But the proof of the pudding is an artist's songs, not their karaoke ability.
    Surely thats proof of a song writers talent? Or is Pavaroti crap for singing other peoples stuff? Why is it TELLING people whats good and what isnt?
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Second album is out today isnt it? \o/

Still, they gave us Girls Aloud who I'd take over Spice Girls any day of the week.
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I was coming from the "its proof that singers shouldnt just be judged on song writing ability" angle.

I've no time for X-Factor, but some of the people they have on there do genuinely have good voices. That much you cant take away from them.
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I dont understand where you're coming from to be honest Zero. It makes no pretense about being a serious music show, its all about manufactured pop, pop being short for popular obviously. If it was about putting together a serious, less mainstream, less massmarket group/pop star I'd understand. The people who like XFactor like this kind of music. Its never going to appeal to the more serious music fan since theres not enough of them/us.

Its not shameful to give someone a chance is it? I'd certainly prefer it to say, Big Brother where absolutly no talent at all is required, and you can outlast your shelflife as a result (eg Jade Goody).
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    a good voice is something you're intially born with. It's not a real sign of talent, it's luck. Of course the voice has to be trained, but even after hours and hours of training my voice wouldn't match those 'naturals'.

/trolls
    /trolls back
    So Frank Lampard is better than Maradona? :p
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dont remember the Japanese(?) driver who bought himself a seat then?
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yup. But daddy had paid for him to be allowed to race.
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    G4 last year? I hate them, but it was different.

Dont forget Maradona was a once in a life time player. Pop music isnt, its an industry, like solid but boring scandanvian players or crap talentless english leftfooters. Bands like [insert favourite band here] are your "Maradonas".
  • Page

of 280 First / Last