The X-Factor Thread Page 2

• Page

of 272 First / Last

• morriss 31 Oct 2005 14:06:41 70,911 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Furbs wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    a good voice is something you're intially born with. It's not a real sign of talent, it's luck. Of course the voice has to be trained, but even after hours and hours of training my voice wouldn't match those 'naturals'.

/trolls
    /trolls back
    So Frank Lampard is better than Maradona? :p

at the guitar? ;)
  • kalel 31 Oct 2005 14:10:01 86,259 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    I've seen it under duress a couple of times on saturdays and what makes me loath is is the way the unlovely-looking people usually get absolutely torn to shreds despite often singing better than the pretty boys and girls.

It's fairly loathsome.

Hmmm. I really wouldn't agree with that actually. In fact, I've noticed that it actually makes a concerted effor to put through unattractive and disabled people in a horrible PC patronising way. Michelle McManus, a previous winner is a good example, others are Rick Waller, the blind guy last year, the guy with Cerebal Palsy this year, and an untold number of uggos.
  • Angel_Treats 31 Oct 2005 14:16:34 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I watch it religiously and I'm really not sure why. I don't buy those magazines like OK or Heat, I don't give a rat's ass about celebrities, any of them, I don't like Big Brother or the other reality TV shows apart from Wife Swap and I only like that because it's car crash telly. Oh and How Clean is Your House, but that's 'cos I'm obsessed with cleaning. I love the audition shows at the start of the series, I enjoy taking the piss out of the people who are really horrendous but think they're the next George Michael or whoever. I know I shouldn't watch, but I can't help it, dammit. Ah well, everyone's allowed one or two vices I reckon :)
  • bivith 31 Oct 2005 14:17:15 2,466 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    souljah wrote:
    Stickman wrote:
    zErOb_cOOl wrote:
    ....I even have a denim dungarees.....

It is utter tripe TV, but I'm not sure you give the public enough credit: Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the career of Mr Steve Brookstein.

/tumbleweed

WoooHooo! I love Steve! I have everyone of his single....oh.

Agreed, it's utter tripe. The girlfriend watches it religiously so I have to put up with that little bastard Walsh and that cnut Osbourne on the box every saturday. Thank fuck for the PC and ear-phones.

Count yourself lucky! I'm forced to watch it with my gf, cos it's "quality time together".
  • boo 31 Oct 2005 14:19:33 11,703 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Angel_Treats wrote: Ah well, everyone's allowed one or two vices I reckon :)

/bought Mrs Boo a subscription to Heat

/secretly reads it when nobody's looking

Just Another Lego Blog

• Stickman 31 Oct 2005 14:19:48 29,656 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Angel_Treats wrote:
    I love the audition shows at the start of the series, I enjoy taking the piss out of the people who are really horrendous but think they're the next George Michael or whoever.

I'll also raise my hand to this guilty pleasure. Not watching it now the circus acts aren't there, mind.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• morriss 31 Oct 2005 14:20:35 70,911 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    MetalDog wrote:
    I've seen it under duress a couple of times on saturdays and what makes me loath is is the way the unlovely-looking people usually get absolutely torn to shreds despite often singing better than the pretty boys and girls.

It's fairly loathsome.

Hmmm. I really wouldn't agree with that actually. In fact, I've noticed that it actually makes a concerted effor to put through unattractive and disabled people in a horrible PC patronising way. Michelle McManus, a previous winner is a good example, others are Rick Waller, the blind guy last year, the guy with Cerebal Palsy this year, and an untold number of uggos.

as diplomatic as ever I see...;)
  • zErOb_cOOl 31 Oct 2005 14:22:52 3,237 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Furbs wrote:
    Dont remember the Japanese(?) driver who bought himself a seat then?

Was he talentless crap?
  • morriss 31 Oct 2005 15:00:40 70,911 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Furbs wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    a good voice is something you're intially born with. It's not a real sign of talent, it's luck. Of course the voice has to be trained, but even after hours and hours of training my voice wouldn't match those 'naturals'.

/trolls
    /trolls back
    So Frank Lampard is better than Maradona? :p

at the guitar? ;)

In all seriousness though, Mara showed creativity, invention, leadership and thousands of other qualities (football wise not his personal life) on top of his natural talent. When do you see any 'pop' star try anything that might in any sense of the word be considered a risk?
  • pjmaybe 31 Oct 2005 15:05:18 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Angel_Treats wrote:
    I watch it religiously and I'm really not sure why. I don't buy those magazines like OK or Heat, I don't give a rat's ass about celebrities, any of them, I don't like Big Brother or the other reality TV shows apart from Wife Swap and I only like that because it's car crash telly. Oh and How Clean is Your House, but that's 'cos I'm obsessed with cleaning. I love the audition shows at the start of the series, I enjoy taking the piss out of the people who are really horrendous but think they're the next George Michael or whoever. I know I shouldn't watch, but I can't help it, dammit. Ah well, everyone's allowed one or two vices I reckon :)

How clean is your house at least has two charismatic presenters. And it's a good laugh - though how anyone can take part in it without feeling fucking ashamed of themselves is beyond me!

Peej
  • Angel_Treats 31 Oct 2005 15:06:32 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    How clean is your house at least has two charismatic presenters. And it's a good laugh - though how anyone can take part in it without feeling fucking ashamed of themselves is beyond me!

Peej

Indeed. If your house was like that, the last thing you'd want to do would be to show it off to the world. Although I think anyone who has a house that dirty must be mentally ill.
  • morriss 31 Oct 2005 15:09:04 70,911 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Furbs wrote:
    G4 last year? I hate them, but it was different.

Dont forget Maradona was a once in a life time player. Pop music isnt, its an industry, like solid but boring scandanvian players or crap talentless english leftfooters. Bands like [insert favourite band here] are your "Maradonas".

I didn't use the Maradona analogy though, you did.

I feel there is plenty of creativity in the music industry, it's just that the public don't want it...
  • pjmaybe 31 Oct 2005 15:09:26 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Or just bone idle.

I have seriously seen people who've had houses as bad as, if not worse than some on the show but no way would they ever go on telly with 'em.

I think the worst ones I saw were the american ones. The woman who just let her dog shit all over her apartment, I mean FFS WHATTTTTTTHEEEEEEFUCCCCKKKKKK?!!

Peej
  • Flightrisker 31 Oct 2005 15:09:26 18,096 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I like how the only people who get any form of long term fame/financial gain from these kind of programs are the judges.
  • morriss 31 Oct 2005 15:13:53 70,911 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Furbs wrote:
    And Girls Aloud.

morriss, the Maradona thing was tied to your idea about natural talent versus someone who worked at it.

I know, but you used a unique example. i.e. arguably the best in the world ever versus a very good player. You were exaggerating to make a point, which I feel doesn't really prove the point I feel you were trying to make.

If that makes sense.
  • zErOb_cOOl 31 Oct 2005 15:30:14 3,237 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    bivith wrote:
    souljah wrote:
    Stickman wrote:
    zErOb_cOOl wrote:
    ....I even have a denim dungarees.....

It is utter tripe TV, but I'm not sure you give the public enough credit: Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the career of Mr Steve Brookstein.

/tumbleweed

WoooHooo! I love Steve! I have everyone of his single....oh.

Agreed, it's utter tripe. The girlfriend watches it religiously so I have to put up with that little bastard Walsh and that cnut Osbourne on the box every saturday. Thank fuck for the PC and ear-phones.

Count yourself lucky! I'm forced to watch it with my gf, cos it's "quality time together".

Lol. Unlucky.
  • Angel_Treats 31 Oct 2005 15:36:43 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rutty watched all the audition shows with me. He doesn't like it now though, can't say I blame him really :) So he disappears into the bedroom and plays whatever game he happens to be into that day while I watch X-Factor and everyone's happy :)
  • djchump 31 Oct 2005 15:47:56 4,463 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    While I hate the shows themselves and the charmless, dull pop tripe that fills the charts, I think the existence of shows like Pop Idol and that are good for the general public's "view" of the pop music industry.

Previously, the general public never really saw the inner workings of the pop industry - i.e. the auditions for boy bands, the corporate soullessness, music by committee etc. - lots of people thought the lads/lasses in these pop bands formed the groups themselves and wrote their own songs! lol.

These talent shows lay those things bare and hopefully one day Pop Will Eat Itself ;-)

Think about it - now every half-decent looking chump who can warble a bit knows that they can "make it" with some practise and luck at the auditions. People are seeing that these boy bands and "musicians" that the music industry have tried to put on pedestals and get the kids to worship, are just ordinary people. Plus, it's now more obvious than ever that the whole affair is simply a money-making exercise.

I like any show that helps to demystify the current cult of celebrity.
  • zErOb_cOOl 31 Oct 2005 15:57:06 3,237 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Furbs wrote:
    Yup. But daddy had paid for him to be allowed to race.

Fair enough, but this must have been a one-off occurance, as nobody else in F1 has done this, as even in other sports this hardly ever happens, if at all.

It happens all the time in the music industry though, where untalented people are practically farmed by record companies. You're just clutching at straws trying to pick holes in my analogy.
  • MetalDog 31 Oct 2005 15:59:28 23,708 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Hmmm. I really wouldn't agree with that actually.

I've seen bits of about three episodes, so I totally bow to your experience. Quite gave me violent thoughts, what I did see, though.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• zErOb_cOOl 31 Oct 2005 16:00:50 3,237 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    djchump wrote:
    While I hate the shows themselves and the charmless, dull pop tripe that fills the charts, I think the existence of shows like Pop Idol and that are good for the general public's "view" of the pop music industry.

Previously, the general public never really saw the inner workings of the pop industry - i.e. the auditions for boy bands, the corporate soullessness, music by committee etc. - lots of people thought the lads/lasses in these pop bands formed the groups themselves and wrote their own songs! lol.

These talent shows lay those things bare and hopefully one day Pop Will Eat Itself ;-)

Think about it - now every half-decent looking chump who can warble a bit knows that they can "make it" with some practise and luck at the auditions. People are seeing that these boy bands and "musicians" that the music industry have tried to put on pedestals and get the kids to worship, are just ordinary people. Plus, it's now more obvious than ever that the whole affair is simply a money-making exercise.

I like any show that helps to demystify the current cult of celebrity.

Brilliantly put, and this is exactly what I can't understand!

These shows show the pop industry in its white underwear, even allowing you to look close enough to notice that, indeed, its not even real Calvin Klein underwear.

Yet people, for a reason unknown to me, seem to love it MORE than ever for this reason. Why?!!!
  • djchump 31 Oct 2005 16:07:03 4,463 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It has a certain "underdog" appeal to follow people's plight for fame and worthless recognition - e.g. that stuttering lad that won it one year... he had the middle-aged housewife market wrapped round his little finger ;-)

However, I'm under the impression that singles sales are down year on year, so I take pleasure in the (possibly misguided) notion that the whole edifice is slowly destroying itself from the foundations up :-)

Reality TV viewing figures are dropping year on year as people are getting bored of the same tripe... so maybe there is hope and the general public on mass will start to expect more substance to what they watch/listen to.

I doubt it though, some other mindless crap will rise to plug the gap, it always does ;-)
  • Retroid Moderator 31 Oct 2005 16:07:26 44,503 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Furbs wrote:
    Still, they gave us Girls Aloud who I'd take over Spice Girls any day of the week.
    I'd drown them all in a vat of liposuction run-off.

Kind of like the choice between a knife in your left or right eye...
  • zErOb_cOOl 31 Oct 2005 16:10:04 3,237 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Furbs wrote:
    Because. They. Like. The. Music.

Same as why Robson and Jerome made a mint doing cover versions. Alot of 30+ types dont care for new music, they want stuff they know. Its why they all do cover versions, and is why the moment they try their own material they usually sink without trace.

They should never have risen in the first place :)
  • kalel 31 Oct 2005 16:10:33 86,259 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What the plural of a moose by the way? Is it also moose? Been trying to find the right collective noun to describe those Irish girls, and "they are moose" just doesn't sound right.
  • pjmaybe 31 Oct 2005 16:11:28 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Shouldn't laugh. A lot of these suckers (sorry, "stars") get really royally reamed by the record company, to the extent that very few of 'em actually make any serious money.

Peej
  • kalel 31 Oct 2005 16:11:44 86,259 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's gota be either mooses or just moose, just not sure which ...
  • zErOb_cOOl 31 Oct 2005 16:12:00 3,237 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    djchump wrote:
    It has a certain "underdog" appeal to follow people's plight for fame and worthless recognition - e.g. that stuttering lad that won it one year... he had the middle-aged housewife market wrapped round his little finger ;-)

Yeah that much is obvious.

However, I'm under the impression that singles sales are down year on year, so I take pleasure in the (possibly misguided) notion that the whole edifice is slowly destroying itself from the foundations up :-)

I live in hope :)
  • zErOb_cOOl 31 Oct 2005 16:13:40 3,237 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    Shouldn't laugh. A lot of these suckers (sorry, "stars") get really royally reamed by the record company, to the extent that very few of 'em actually make any serious money.

Peej

Yeah exactly. Simon Cowell owns the program (and probably takes the majority of the money from that) all the while finding his next 'music bitch' to milk dry at their ultimate expense. And people jump at the opportunity in hordes.

Its genius really.

Edited by zErOb_cOOl at 16:23:28 31-10-2005
  • Page

of 272 First / Last