The X-Factor Thread

• Page

of 272 First / Last

Previous
  • zErOb_cOOl 31 Oct 2005 13:13:58 3,237 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I hate the people on this show.

What I hate more though is the show itself, and the fact that its a given that if you win (or come close to winning) you are automatically a "popstar".....but the general public accepts this knowingly, and buys all their music.

What??????! Am I missing something?

Now a good singing voice is important obviously, and there's no denying that the top 5 contestants all have good voices.

Then there is the 'X-Factor' ie. the 'fashion and beauty factor'. Fine, the top 5 contestants are all good looking, and have had a professional dress them so they "have the X-Factor".

But surely these are just tools of the trade. I have a spanner...I know how to use one....I even have a denim dungarees.....but I'm not a qualified plumber! Surely the real talent is in the song writing.

Now, I know my point couldn't be any less original, but I feel shows like the X Factor are just taking the piss now. To me, record companies who sign these people say,

"Look! This persons got a good voice, looks good, has survived the mental torment of the competition and Simon Cowell.....they are a Popstar!.....right quick....somebody write a quick song for them to sing on the back of a fag packet, and we'll make millions."

Edited by zErOb_cOOl at 13:24:43 31-10-2005
  • Blerk Moderator 31 Oct 2005 13:18:33 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Blerk's simple guide to a better life:

1. Don't watch this shit.
    2. Don't buy tabloid newspapers or 'celebrity' magazines.
    3. Don't listen to popular radio.

/is content in his ignorance
  • zErOb_cOOl 31 Oct 2005 13:21:23 3,237 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Blerk wrote:

Difficult when my girlfriend insists on putting it on the TV every time its on, she buys 'OK' and all those celeb mags, and I listen to the news/traffic news in the morning, so have to listen to commercial radio as a result.

There's no escape! (for me anyway.)

Edited by zErOb_cOOl at 13:27:03 31-10-2005
  • Ginger 31 Oct 2005 13:27:16 6,826 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    zErOb_cOOl wrote:
    I listen to the news/traffic news in the morning, so have to listen to commercial radio as a result.

Radio 4 is your friend. Just put that on and switch on the traffic report on your car stereo and anything important will get through to you :)

London open taekwondo champion

• doc-yipee 31 Oct 2005 13:29:51 69 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    Elvis didn't write his own songs or cook his own pies
  • zErOb_cOOl 31 Oct 2005 13:30:12 3,237 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ginger wrote:
    zErOb_cOOl wrote:
    I listen to the news/traffic news in the morning, so have to listen to commercial radio as a result.

Radio 4 is your friend. Just put that on and switch on the traffic report on your car stereo and anything important will get through to you :)

Ah cool. Cheers. Good tip :)
  • Stickman 31 Oct 2005 13:30:37 29,656 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    zErOb_cOOl wrote:
    ....I even have a denim dungarees.....

o_O

It is utter tripe TV, but I'm not sure you give the public enough credit: Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the career of Mr Steve Brookstein.

/tumbleweed

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• morriss 31 Oct 2005 13:32:10 70,911 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    doc-yipee wrote:

...-but when he sang it at least sounded as though he meant it.

/agrees 1000% with deem
  • zErOb_cOOl 31 Oct 2005 13:33:19 3,237 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    doc-yipee wrote:

Your point being?

Its just the shameful way its all gone about that gets me going. Its like the X Factor show is telling me, and the general public, that this person IS a good artist. But the proof of the pudding is an artist's songs, not their karaoke ability.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 31 Oct 2005 13:33:47 12,740 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blerk wrote:

A rather wise person once said "Knowing ignorance is strength .... " :)
  • zErOb_cOOl 31 Oct 2005 13:34:09 3,237 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Stickman wrote:
    zErOb_cOOl wrote:

o_O

It is utter tripe TV, but I'm not sure you give the public enough credit: Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the career of Mr Steve Brookstein.

/tumbleweed

I think I've said too much, but fair enough on the Mr. Brookstein point. Forgot about him...which says it all really.

Edited by zErOb_cOOl at 13:41:47 31-10-2005
  • doc-yipee 31 Oct 2005 13:37:41 69 posts
    Registered 9 years ago
    zErOb_cOOl wrote:
    doc-yipee wrote:

Your point being?

Its just the shameful way its all gone about that gets me going. Its like the X Factor show is telling me, and the general public, that this person IS a good artist. But the proof of the pudding is an artist's songs, not their karaoke ability.

I luurve pies
  • pjmaybe 31 Oct 2005 13:37:57 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    All the "stars" of these shows fade into obscurity soon enough. They have their little moment in the spotlight, then they go down the funnel and start appearing on crap daytime TV before (as with Steve Brookstein) they inevitably release a shit cover version song, then end up playing wine bars for the rest of their short lived career...

Annoyingly though now and again you get the ones who just won't fuck off and die. Alex Parks f'r instance, who is in America recording her second album (Whoop de doo, take some fucking prozac while you're over there love and cheer the fuck up you miserable looking sow)

Peej
  • pjmaybe 31 Oct 2005 13:38:42 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh one more thing, and I didn't realise this...Simon Cowell was once Wonderdog. Yes, he had a hit record with a song comprised of sampled dog barks.

Enough said I think.

Peej
  • souljah 31 Oct 2005 13:39:00 4,701 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Stickman wrote:
    zErOb_cOOl wrote:

/tumbleweed

WoooHooo! I love Steve! I have everyone of his single....oh.

Agreed, it's utter tripe. The girlfriend watches it religiously so I have to put up with that little bastard Walsh and that cnut Osbourne on the box every saturday. Thank fuck for the PC and ear-phones.
  • Madder-Max 31 Oct 2005 13:39:03 11,618 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So....Chico vs Crazy Frog. Which is the most annoying and who would win in a fight?!

99 problems and being ginger is one

• morriss 31 Oct 2005 13:39:06 70,911 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Furbs wrote:
    zErOb_cOOl wrote:
    doc-yipee wrote:
    Surely thats proof of a song writers talent? Or is Pavaroti crap for singing other peoples stuff? Why is it TELLING people whats good and what isnt?

proof of a song writers talent is the ability to write songs, surely?

Don't even start putting up these plastic, lifeless, souless tripe against Opera singers, it's a no-brainer.

• zErOb_cOOl 31 Oct 2005 13:42:48 3,237 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Furbs wrote:
    Surely thats proof of a song writers talent? Or is Pavaroti crap for singing other peoples stuff? Why is it TELLING people whats good and what isnt?

Don't know about Pavaroti really...not a big fan. Haven't a clue about his talent as an artist.

Note the key word I keep using 'ARTIST'. Glamourised karaoke is not a form of art...at least not as far as I know.

So how can glomourised karaoke prove somebody's song writing ability, and ability to create the art of music from their own head? It (the X-Factor karaoke-fest) just proves they can perform on demand, and sing.

And the X-Factor TELLS people who's good and who's isn't because there are winners and losers. How many records did the guy who came 978th is the last X-Factor sell?

Edited by zErOb_cOOl at 13:52:30 31-10-2005
  • morriss 31 Oct 2005 13:43:59 70,911 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Furbs wrote:
    I was coming from the "its proof that singers shouldnt just be judged on song writing ability" angle.

I've no time for X-Factor, but some of the people they have on there do genuinely have good voices. That much you cant take away from them.

a good voice is something you're intially born with. It's not a real sign of talent, it's luck. Of course the voice has to be trained, but even after hours and hours of training my voice wouldn't match those 'naturals'.

/trolls

Edited by morriss at 13:49:17 31-10-2005
  • zErOb_cOOl 31 Oct 2005 13:44:25 3,237 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    All the "stars" of these shows fade into obscurity soon enough. They have their little moment in the spotlight, then they go down the funnel and start appearing on crap daytime TV before (as with Steve Brookstein) they inevitably release a shit cover version song, then end up playing wine bars for the rest of their short lived career...

Annoyingly though now and again you get the ones who just won't fuck off and die. Alex Parks f'r instance, who is in America recording her second album (Whoop de doo, take some fucking prozac while you're over there love and cheer the fuck up you miserable looking sow)

Peej

LMFAO! Spot on Peej!
  • RubyRed 31 Oct 2005 13:47:06 4,303 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have been watching some of it and I hate myself for it.
  • pjmaybe 31 Oct 2005 13:49:06 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RubyRed wrote:
    I have been watching some of it and I hate myself for it.

We all hate you for it too :)

(I'm kidding...it's almost unavoidable. I accidentally watched about 10 mins at the weekend through being "polite" to rellies when really I wanted to gouge my own eyes out with a rusty corkscrew rather than watch the pish)

Peej
  • Madder-Max 31 Oct 2005 13:50:15 11,618 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I reckon its Chico cos he's a real life person. Crazy frog cant help it. he was designed the way he is.....

99 problems and being ginger is one

• tincanrocket 31 Oct 2005 13:51:26 2,897 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Blerk wrote:

+1

They are all tools of satan and are simply designed to guide you down the path of a life built by advertising executives constantly trying to sell you the 'next big thing'. Scumbags.

However, at least X Factor doesn't really pretend to be anything different - on the other hand the BBC Breakfast News purports to be a serious news programme when it is in fact an advertising and marketing medium for the BBC - always hyping up new BBC films and programmes by trying to make them seem like news items. Utter utter twaddledash... oh, and the Kaplinsky woman makes my skin crawl...
  • boo 31 Oct 2005 13:53:01 11,703 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It is a karaoke show, pure and simple. members of the public stand up and perform well-known songs to a backing track.

What I fail to understand is the public's desire to pay to be involved.

Take a show like Opportunity Knocks - a talent show made up of largely singers, but a few novelty acts too. You watched the program, said to your Granny, 'I like that one best.', the audience did the clapping and somebody won.
    End of story.

But this 'Ring in and vote, which by the way, will cost you money.' business baffles me.

Unless you're friends or family of one of the contestants, what do you care who wins?
    Why line the pockets of the various TV execs? The program will still be on next week, even if you don't vote.

And has been pointed out -you know whoever wins isn't going to have a career this time next year anyway, so the shows ability to pick 'stars' is clearly unfounded.

Now if the loser every week was shot...

Just Another Lego Blog

• Blerk Moderator 31 Oct 2005 13:53:43 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    tincanrocket wrote:
    oh, and the Kaplinsky woman makes my skin crawl...
    Good news - Kaplinksy's leaving Breakfast!

Bad news - she's doing the six o' clock news instead.

:-(
  • pjmaybe 31 Oct 2005 13:54:10 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think the losers get worse than shot. They get humiliated. And I'm sure for some involved, they secretly think the public loves them for being so bad when really the public would see them in the street and take the living piss out of them...

Peej
  • zErOb_cOOl 31 Oct 2005 13:55:24 3,237 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Furbs wrote:
    I dont understand where you're coming from to be honest Zero. It makes no pretense about being a serious music show, its all about manufactured pop, pop being short for popular obviously. If it was about putting together a serious, less mainstream, less massmarket group/pop star I'd understand. The people who like XFactor like this kind of music. Its never going to appeal to the more serious music fan since theres not enough of them/us.

Its not shameful to give someone a chance is it? I'd certainly prefer it to say, Big Brother where absolutly no talent at all is required, and you can outlast your shelflife as a result (eg Jade Goody).

Good point.

I suppose I'm just saying I hate the show, and the concept of manufactured "stars" through and through, regardless. And I especially hate how blatent the show is, as you said.

At least before these shows came along there was a slight possibility some of these acts had some songwriting talent...even if they couldn't sing as well. Because of this, I feel like its taking the piss out of the public's standard in music even more....and I can't understand it.

Ah well, each to their own. I don't listen to any of this crap anyway, and I'm beginning not to care anymore.
  • MetalDog 31 Oct 2005 14:00:33 23,708 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've seen it under duress a couple of times on saturdays and what makes me loath is is the way the unlovely-looking people usually get absolutely torn to shreds despite often singing better than the pretty boys and girls.

It's fairly loathsome.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• zErOb_cOOl 31 Oct 2005 14:03:50 3,237 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Let me just leave a comparison between an X-Factor contestant and an F1 driver before I must get back to my work.

An X-Factor contestant is given a good voice.
    Jonny millonaire's son is given an F1 car for his Birthday.

An X-Factor contestant has the look to be a pop star.
    Jonny millionaire's son has overgrown facial stubble, and looks great sitting in an F1 car.

An X-Factor contestant has the right attitude.
    Jonny millionaire's son knows how to talk to ITV's race interviewer a treat.

An X-Factor contestant can dance around and look really cool on stage.
    Jonny millionaire's son can donut his F1 car :)

Simon Cowell pays for the winning X-Factor contestant's record contract. They sell millions of records.
    Jonny millionaire's son is paid into the F1 league, and is in a 3-way fatal accident in his first race.

They wouldn't put up with talentless crap in other professions, so why do they in the music business?

Edited by zErOb_cOOl at 14:28:48 31-10-2005
  • Page

of 272 First / Last

Previous