City of Heroes/Villains Page 3

• Page

of 18 First / Last

• tannerd 1 Nov 2005 10:59:17 2,691 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TUDoS sounds good. The full names a bit of a mouthful, but it shortens nicely enough.

Not that I can talk, my toon names are rubbish. I was getting the missus to help last night and she suggested 'Spell-o-tor'. Which is sooo bad I might create an alt especially for it.

Talking of alts I'm gonna make green man my second, and Cryptographer my primary. The brute wasn't really for me, and I've been enjoying the Dominator a bit more. With the gravity hold I've got it also means I can take on some slightly more powerful opponents, which makes me feel like the big man.

Means I'll have to catch up a bit though.
  • eviltobz  1 Nov 2005 11:19:23 2,609 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    To be honest tobz, if you did want to take Fluffly as your main then I'd be very happy just to carry on with my Dominator, just as long as you're prepared to seriously heal my arse! :)
    thing is, he's a kineticist, so the heal whilst reasonable requires a hit on an enemy and then radiates a pbaoe around the mob. so unless you are in melee range i can't heal you, and even then it's quite literally hit or miss if you'll get anything.
  • kalel 1 Nov 2005 11:38:32 86,421 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I just wish there was a decent healing class, I really do. It;s the role I most enjoy, and plus Doms and probably Brutes are really going to need it.

I don't know what my main will be. Perhaps I'll just keep a few going and see what everyone else settles on.

• Boom 1 Nov 2005 11:45:42 26 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thermal is the nearest thing, but yeah it's quite an adjustment from CoH primary heals. Saturday was just getting used to fend for yourself at some points in missions even with a corruptor in the team every so often.

If I re-roll, it will be a corruptor or MM. Stalkers are the opposite of easy and are not the starting class the Cryptic and the game manual would have you believe unless you can team frequently with friends.

Still I'll be plugging along with him looking for my first respec which I could use right away.
  • kalel 1 Nov 2005 11:52:48 86,421 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The trick to the "healing" is debuffs, so they don't actually do you any damage in the first place. Hence why I rolled a rad/dark.

The team dynamics are very odd at the moment though I think. Brute's do a pretty poor job of tanking (through no fault of their own), Dominator's attract all the aggro, Curruptors can't heal properly (nor do they really do enough damage), and MMs have lots of pets that basically just do everything for everyone else.

I'm sure as we all lvl up it will make a bit more sence and of course further balancing is yet to occur, but at the mo, whilst fun, teaming feels distinctly disorganised.
  • Ajay 1 Nov 2005 11:53:13 2,412 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Boom wrote:Still I'll be plugging along with him looking for my first respec which I could use right away.
    Speaking of respecs, how do these work? Do you get an opportunity to reset your abilities as you level, pay for the priviledge or something else?
  • Boom 1 Nov 2005 11:59:42 26 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Exactly my take on the teaming situation and why I wrote that comment that the game is strange when teaming on the main page. It's strange because CoV only loosely (and very loosely at that) follows the holy trinity of tank, blaster/mage, and healer/priest. Most games have this and then have a various other sub or cross classes. All 5 CoV ATs feel like cross-classes.

While it is different, it actually makes the game more fun and I like the unpredicatability of fights. Thanks to the debt rule changes, I don't mind a wipe every now and then like I did when CoH was first released.

Can't wait to get on tonight. :)

• kalel 1 Nov 2005 12:03:27 86,421 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ajay wrote:
    Boom wrote:Still I'll be plugging along with him looking for my first respec which I could use right away.
    Speaking of respecs, how do these work? Do you get an opportunity to reset your abilities as you level, pay for the priviledge or something else?

You can earn them later on with very tricky (read impossible) mission.

Luckily you tend to also get a free respec every time a new Issue comes out, just because of all the re-balancing they tend to do.

Actually, I really should put some advice up for newbies on toon building. There are a few things about power pools and travel powers and stuff that are 'need to know'. I should have done this yesterday really. I'll get on it.
  • Boom 1 Nov 2005 12:04:15 26 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ajay wrote:

In Coh/CoV, you have to earn respecs by doing a tough team mission (at least CoH's TV was tough 6 months ago, now it seems a lot less so). Through the course of your levelling you will be able to do the respec by seeing a particular contact that provides respec missions.

Respecs are also given when Cryptic implements an issue with a major rule change. So far they've given each of my CoH toons 3 free respecs (these aren't stackable, only the mission respecs are stackable).

It wasn't till mid 20s that I started respecs in CoH and I would assume the same for CoV, but I don't know yet.

Edit: Beaten to it. :)

Edited by Boom at 12:10:28 01-11-2005
  • Ajay 1 Nov 2005 12:06:43 2,412 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Aha, thanks guys. Heheh, I forgot about travel powers - I'm at the stage where I need to think about whether to go for jumping, speed or flight. While any free newbie advice is appreciated, don't go to a lot of hassle feeling you have to!
  • MikeD 1 Nov 2005 12:12:10 10,063 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Did anyone get mindwiped yet?
  • kalel 1 Nov 2005 12:24:57 86,421 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    MikeD wrote:

?? Unless you eman IRL, in which case yes :)

Some basic advice has been added to the first post.
  • Stickman 1 Nov 2005 12:27:43 29,663 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    at the mo, whilst fun, teaming feels distinctly disorganised.

That was the impression I got last night too, everyone basically just steaming in. Like you say, fun though!

Just for a heads up, I'll definitely be a junior member of the group. I simply don't have the hours to devote to the game. I'll probably manage an average of 1 or 2 a night, but Civ IV's out Friday, so the wife'll be taking over the pc! Downside to having a gaming other half.

I'd vote for blue/white for SG colours.

Looking forward to your tips, kalel.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• MikeD 1 Nov 2005 12:30:34 10,063 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    MikeD wrote:

?? Unless you eman IRL, in which case yes :)

Nah, I was making a geek joke. Because villains (and batman) got mindwiped in the dc universe.

/gets coat.

• Ajay 1 Nov 2005 12:30:52 2,412 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nice advice, thanks again kalel.

I'm favouring the idea of taking leaping or speed, since (from what I remember) their non-movement powers seemed a bit more useful in combat rather than just building to a travel power.

Edited by Ajay at 12:36:36 01-11-2005
  • Jetset_UK 1 Nov 2005 12:37:16 3,560 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah good tips Kalel, although I'm sure I'll be badgering you some more when I go live! :)
  • eviltobz  1 Nov 2005 14:12:54 2,609 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    eviltobz' mini guide to slots (kal, feel free to stick this on the front page if you want)

When you level up in CoH/CoV you get either slots or powers depending on the level (as a fair rule of thumb to begin with you get 2 slots every odd level). These are important for molding your toon into a powerful character and making your powers work in the way that you want. Each power has one empty slot by default and a further 5 can be added. These are then filled with enhancements to boost a certain aspect of the power. This can be simple things like recharge time and endurance cost that apply to most powers, but many powers have more than one effect and so you can focus your character's powers in a certain direction. As an example, blasts from the radiation set both do damage and also decrease the enemy's defence, so you can choose to slot primarily for damage or de-buffing depending on which direction you want to go.

There are 3 main levels of enhancement available, Training Origin (TO) which offer only small changes in effectiveness, Dual Origin (DO) the medium power boost, and Single Origin (SO) which are the good stuff. The origin thing just means that only certain types of toon (mutant, science etc) can use it, so you'll have to start selling the ones you can't use to afford to buy the ones you need. Recent changes to the game engine (called Enhancement Diversity) mean that you get less effect per enhancement when there is a lot of boosting going on. This kicks in between 2 and 3 SOs meaning that powers with more than 3 SOs get very little benefit from them. that's not to say they are worthless, but generally people are going to be planning to only have up to 3 of a certain enhancement in any power. The relative strength of TOs and DOs means that you won't see this effect (DOs are very very slightly effected between 5 and 6) so you may be tempted at low levels to put more slots in something than you will need later in the game. A good example is that one of my CoH characters has hover 6 slotted for speed, which pre-issue 6 meant it was about as fast as unenhanced fly, and with just TO and DO would still seem appealing at low levels when travel is a grind, but post-issue 6 and as standard in CoV this is not going to be of such value and those 3 slots could go to more damaging use elsewhere.

Finally, think about the powers that you are slotting. Will you be using this power much in the later levels? Some beginner players put slots on the beginning inherent powers like brawl*, sprint or rest. these are useful at low levels, but quickly will become less useful as you gain new attacks and travel powers etc. It is possible to get re-specs for your toons, but these can be hard to get hold of so you shouldn't really plan to need one when your character gets more powerful. The early levels fly past pretty quickly so putting up with a few less powerful moves early on may make your character much more rounded when the time between levels is measured in days rather than minutes.

* Brawl quickly becomes a wasted power for most archetypes, but it does have some applications which may effect your decsion to use it. It is meant to be useful in PvP situations as it has a chance to drop toggles which can be useful for killing tanks etc. Secondly, with the introduction of the brute AT it is useful as a very quick, low-cost attack that helps to boost your fury bar and so there could be some added benefit in slotting for accuracy and damage depending on your attack chain.
  • kalel 1 Nov 2005 14:19:28 86,421 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh yeah, good shout on the slots tobz, another classic newbie error is to sitck all your slost in sprint off the bat, only to be much regretted later. I'll add it to the first page. Nice one.
  • Jetset_UK 1 Nov 2005 15:05:45 3,560 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    "Can you take me by the hand, and lead me through the streets of Eviltown, can you show me something that'll make me choose my slots."

ie You'll help me right. :)
  • kalel 1 Nov 2005 15:28:33 86,421 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Course :)

What toon are yuo thinking Jetset? We can give you some initial guidance. do you fancy melee, stealth, sniping, general defence type stuff?
  • eviltobz  1 Nov 2005 15:35:36 2,609 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    nope. of course not. i'm eeeeeevil.

;)

ideal slotting is going to vary based upon the powers you choose and the way you want to take them. the key thing to bear in mind are that more than 3 SOs of a single type in a power only offer a very little more and you really should plan your toons to be efficient once SOs become available.

you can always plan your builds in advance, there is lots of good info available online on the CoH/V forums:
    UK
    US

i'd recommend playing with one of the hero planner tools linked on the u.s. forums. i'm currently using the sherk silver one and it seems pretty damn funky and up-to-date. even to the point of calculating the enhancement effects correctly for enhancement diversity.

us more experience CoH players can give some advice but the best opinions are going to come from those who've used the powers, so the guides can give you a lot better picture of whether a power is right for you.
  • Jetset_UK 1 Nov 2005 15:48:26 3,560 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:

What toon are yuo thinking Jetset?
    Was thinking as starting as a Brute, as this sounds the easiest to start with. Then maybe starting another once I get the hang of things.

I'd like to have a look at the links you posted tobz, however I can only access the net at work at the mo, and thats firewalled off. :`(

Can't wait to get broadband back at home tomorrow, I feel like I've lost a limb for the last 10 weeks. Plus I won't have to talk to my flatmate again. \o/
  • Nuttah 1 Nov 2005 16:54:28 1,840 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ok you lucky people. Your truly has purchased tis game ( I know I know.. a little late)

i'll prolly have it by Friday, and most likly be creating my first toon as a brawler/stalker.
  • kalel 1 Nov 2005 16:55:52 86,421 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nuttah wrote:
    ok you lucky people. Your truly has purchased tis game ( I know I know.. a little late)

i'll prolly have it by Friday, and most likly be creating my first toon as a brawler/stalker.

Heh, just found an unsent email in my drafts to you asking where you were. I decided it was best not sent ;-)
  • eviltobz  1 Nov 2005 18:15:50 2,609 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jetset_UK wrote:
    Was thinking as starting as a Brute, as this sounds the easiest to start with. Then maybe starting another once I get the hang of things.
    good choice. i enjoyed my brutish toon on the beta
    I'd like to have a look at the links you posted tobz, however I can only access the net at work at the mo, and thats firewalled off. :`(
    arse. can you see this?
  • Whizzo 1 Nov 2005 20:48:57 43,038 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wartorn has returned from the CoH beta to become my villain, he always seemed more of a badguy than anything else, natural merc/devices Mastermind.

This space left intentionally blank.

• mentat 1 Nov 2005 21:09:18 5,613 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    just created a Mastermind robot/dark miasma

Called... Dead Fribnah, and a free jaffa for anyone that gets the (not very funny) joke.

And bloody hell is it laggy tonight :(
  • Ajay 1 Nov 2005 21:21:28 2,412 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tonight I am mostly playing.... my brute, Rebuke. Very different to a stalker's game style, and I'm much more dangerous to groups. Hurrah!
  • Stickman 1 Nov 2005 22:25:42 29,663 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Had a couple of hours on tonight, but only managed to get myself within a couple of bars of L8. Think is saw Kalel knocking about briefly, but that was it. How's everyone getting on?

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• eviltobz 2 Nov 2005 00:49:06 2,511 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    likewise, i only had a short play. flufflyman dinged 6 and lord alfred found out that he could stand atop the arachnos building where you start in mercy and direct his minion to kill snakes on top of other buildings bloody miles away :)

not going to be on much this week though. got a landlord inspection on thursday, so nuttah and i are gonna have a bit of cleaning up to do. and after he leaves i'm bogging off to the missus's for the weekend. might get the odd bit of play in there, but it won't be much.
  • Page

of 18 First / Last