• morriss 24 Jan 2006 22:20:22 71,034 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Did Ziegler set up the goal?

/prays he did
  • IMO 24 Jan 2006 22:20:48 5,680 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Talk about what goes around comes around, just as Gilberto did it to Doncaster in the final moments, Roberts has done it to us...
  • malteaserhead 24 Jan 2006 22:20:57 13,444 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    it shouldn't really be a big surprise .... but Arsenal did have a fairly strong line up....
    hopefully wigan v blackburn final ;)
    /is an anti-man u troll

Edited by malteaserhead at 22:21:50 24-01-2006
  • IMO 24 Jan 2006 22:23:26 5,680 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I didn't actually watch it, (SportingLife.com rolling updates for FTW), but (I think) we should have killed them off much earlier.

Edited by IMO at 22:30:42 24-01-2006
  • Jetset_UK 24 Jan 2006 22:28:28 3,565 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    GET IN!

Christ, that cheered me up no end. Who says today is the most depressing day of the year!
  • IMO 24 Jan 2006 22:38:46 5,680 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hey, I'm still here and I ain't going nowhere.
  • AlanOB 24 Jan 2006 22:39:34 398 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Did Ziegler set up the goal?

/prays he did

Ziegler was awful from the moment he came on. Indirectly responsible for both goals too. For the first one he just let Gilbert go, leaving him free to deliver the cross for Henry. For the second one, he failed to put in any challenge and forced Kavanagh to bring down an Arsenal player, leading to Van Persie's free-kick. He won't see a blade of grass in Cardiff.

Delighted for Wigan though. As a Man U fan, it's always nice to see Wenger sickened and today is no different. Happy for Dave Whelan too. The man clearly cares a lot about his club and it was pretty touching to see him go and salute the fans afterwards.
  • White_Shadow 24 Jan 2006 22:40:24 2,537 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What a great game of footy that was, eh!?

End to end stuff, Politt was outstanding and it could've gone either way. Great end to the game too :)

Also worth a mention, that Gilbert kid looks a top player! How old is he? 16/17? Crikey.
  • Flightrisker 24 Jan 2006 22:49:30 18,138 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fell asleep so missed all of normal time, woke up for the extra time, great stuff.

Man, when Dungeon Master went down to all the fans I nearly cried.... ;_;
  • Whizzo 24 Jan 2006 22:52:53 43,151 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    White_Shadow wrote:Also worth a mention, that Gilbert kid looks a top player! How old is he? 16/17? Crikey.
    Didn't see the game, I was at a Conference match freezing my bits off, but apparently he's 19 next month.

This space left intentionally blank.

• kentmonkey 24 Jan 2006 22:55:45 20,716 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    As an Arsenal fan can I just say that I was quite pleased that Wigan won the game. The Carling Cup has never meant anything to us, so why should we show such an interest in it this year just because we're not good enough to compete in anything else. Really pleased it could potentially be going to a club that will appreciate it more.

Agree with the comments about Gilbert, first time I've seen him and he looks great. Van Persie had a great game too.

One last thing, anyone else think that the ref was utter tripe? We should have had another penalty, they should have had 3, their defender should have been sent off for two yellows and Reyes should have got a yellow for doing his impression of swan lake in the penalty area. He bottled every big decision and was awful in my eyes.
  • morriss 24 Jan 2006 23:06:15 71,034 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I want it to be a Wigan/Man U final for a couple fo reasons:

1. A stupid rumour that says if Blackburn lose, MGP's a Spurs player this window

and

2. I believe the loser still makes Europe if the winner qualifies for Europe through the league. What an achievement for Wigan that would be!

Edited by morriss at 23:06:27 24-01-2006
  • kentmonkey 24 Jan 2006 23:09:22 20,716 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    morriss wrote:

1. A stupid rumour that says if Blackburn lose, MGP's a Spurs player this window

and

2. I believe the loser still makes Europe if the winner qualifies for Europe through the league. What an achievement for Wigan that would be!

Point 2 is correct sir, that's why I was pleased for them, they'll put every effort into winning it but it will also guarantee them European football next year if Man Utd get into the final.
  • THFourteen 24 Jan 2006 23:30:29 33,595 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    As an Arsenal fan can I just say that I was quite pleased that Wigan won the game. The Carling Cup has never meant anything to us, so why should we show such an interest in it this year just because we're not good enough to compete in anything else. Really pleased it could potentially be going to a club that will appreciate it more
    Disagree with this comment, the game and the cup meant a great deal to the thousands of supporters in the north bank who never stopped chanting throughout the entire game even when we'd lost it at the end.

Sick as a parrot now, been a really bad week for me and us, and bound to get worse.

Grats Wigan, thoroughly deserved.

Can I just mention how much i HATE it when people start cheering passes (you know the "WAAY. WAAY. WAAY." one) when we're winning by a stupidly slim margin? WHY WHY DO PEOPLE DO THIS?! its just asking for it.

Also why on EARTH can't we deal with simple over the top long balls? Don't they practice defensive heading in training?!! Our problem at the moment isnt in midfield, its the lack of strength at the back. And i mean physically, not in depth.

Edited by THFourteen at 23:31:17 24-01-2006
  • darkmorgado 24 Jan 2006 23:37:11 15,560 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    As an Arsenal fan can I just say that I was quite pleased that Wigan won the game.

Well done to you sir.

Odd when you get that feeling that you wouldn't mind your team losing isn't it? During Utd's cup game against Burton (and last year against Exeter) part of me was hoping they'd sneak it at the end when it was 0-0. Was gutted Burton didn't at least get a goal in the replay.

BTW - interesting stat for fact fans. Burton now have the record for an away attendance at Old Trafford. Given the size of the ground does this mean they hold the record for the whole country too?

EDIT: Hopefully this'll be the start of a period of severe depression for Arsene Wenger who'll be so disillusioned with club football that he'll quit the Arse to take over the England job. Hate to say it as a Utd - but i reckon he'd be best man for the job. An England team playing with just half the style of Arsenal at their best would do me fine, ta.

Edited by Fozzie_bear at 23:39:01 24-01-2006

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• Sid-Nice 24 Jan 2006 23:47:21 15,851 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Shit; this could spell the end for me if Blackburn make it to the final. BTW did I ever tell you guy's what my Job was?

I'm a ticket tout. :(

NNID Sid-Nice

• GingerMagician 24 Jan 2006 23:51:51 3,012 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    morriss wrote:

and

Point 2 is correct sir, that's why I was pleased for them, they'll put every effort into winning it but it will also guarantee them European football next year if Man Utd get into the final.
    Not actually sure if this is the case with the Carling Cup. Is definitely the case with the FA Cup, but have a feeling the place goes back to the league if United win it.

Could be wrong though :)
  • darkmorgado 25 Jan 2006 00:01:45 15,560 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They reckoned on radio 5 earlier that if wigan played utd in the final that wigan would definitely get the uefa spot. I thought they'd abandoned that idea a couple of years back too though.

• THFourteen 25 Jan 2006 00:06:49 33,595 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Didnt millwall play in europe by virtue of this sort of thing a couple of years ago though?

Think it might go to the runners up of the cup.
  • darkmorgado 25 Jan 2006 00:09:09 15,560 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That was the FA Cup though wasn't it? I thought they'd changed the rules for the League Cup when most of the premiership started putting out reserve sides.

• Sid-Nice 25 Jan 2006 00:10:27 15,851 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Didnt millwall play in europe by virtue of this sort of thing a couple of years ago though?

Think it might go to the runners up of the cup.
    Ah; but the Lions played in a proper cup final. :)

NNID Sid-Nice

• THFourteen 25 Jan 2006 00:16:15 33,595 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah i remember now. That was the year i boycotted both the cup finals.

no wonder i was confused.
  • morriss 25 Jan 2006 00:16:57 71,034 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What's a cup final?
  • Jetset_UK 25 Jan 2006 00:21:49 3,565 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    What's a cup final?

You know, Spurs will be playing in one in Athens. 2007.
  • marilena 25 Jan 2006 07:48:37 8,203 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Arsene should wake up already and send Senderos to a gym. I'm sorry, it's just ridiculous, the guy looks like he could beat up my entire family, but has the strength of a sick puppy. Falls over like a geeky girl on high heels. It's inexcusable at that level. Also, the placement of both him and Campbell at the second goal was awful.

Gilbert was fine, Gilberto sucked monkey balls. Couldn't complete a pass to save his life. And I know he's old, but someone should teach Dennis to curve the ball :). My positive surprise was Pires, although I get the feeling he doesn't care so much about wining this days he fought for every ball and won a lot. He was the only Arsenal player that looked like a real midfielder.

I felt that at times Wigan really didn't do enough to win the game, but Arsenal played like an amateur team, so I guess the result is fair.
  • Ecanem 25 Jan 2006 08:33:21 5,035 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    One last thing, anyone else think that the ref was utter tripe? We should have had another penalty, they should have had 3, their defender should have been sent off for two yellows and Reyes should have got a yellow for doing his impression of swan lake in the penalty area. He bottled every big decision and was awful in my eyes.

Totally agree..

Reyes, what a complete wanker, whining at every decision and diving too, if he'd get rid of that part of his game he'd be alright..

Can't believe Wigan won it.. Arsenal wasted their chances big time, and once Henry came off you didn't have much bite up front.. Good fighting by Wigan though, who never gave up..
  • kalel 25 Jan 2006 08:46:07 87,904 posts
    Seen 27 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    As an Arsenal fan can I just say that I was quite pleased that Wigan won the game. The Carling Cup has never meant anything to us, so why should we show such an interest in it this year just because we're not good enough to compete in anything else.

Because that's what happens when you have a bit of a mre at the top? Just say hyperthetically you don't qulaify for Europe through the league full stop. Just suppose you end up 7th. Don't bother me mind.
  • Page

of 189 First / Last