The League Cup Page 160

• Page

of 179 First / Last

• kentmonkey 11 Dec 2012 23:19:29 20,071 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    End of the day, I don't think it really matters who took the penalties. It shouldn't have got to that, it shouldn't have been an issue.

We deserved to lose that and we did. It would have been harsh on Bradford had we won.

As I say, not overly bothered about going out. It's the loss with the full strength team that's bothering me. And the fact that I just don't trust anyone at the club anymore, anyone, to actually learn from these continued mishaps. I just don't see it turning around.

The players don't seem motivated. At times like these the very best managers, regardless of profession, work their socks off to motivate, to inspire, to engage with their workforce and get the very best out of them. They acknowledge that they can't do it alone and that simply paying people, regardless of salary, isn't always enough.

I obviously don't know what goes on at the club regarding that, but the performances seem to suggest that we've got a team lacking leadership, motivation and therefore a real desire to give their all for one another, for the team and for the manager. There wouldn't be such tepid performances if that was the case.

I don't think Wenger is that man. I think Wenger can motivate and inspire when things are going well. I just don't look to him and see somebody who can do that when things aren't going so well. Who knows for sure, but that's my view. And that's a large part of the reason I've not been against him going for the past three seasons*. I think we need a different approach to try to move forward.

(*note that this is different to 'Wenger out'. More that I'm no longer against it, as I previously had been, as I haven't felt that he's been 100% the man for the particular situation for three years now).
  • QotSAfan 11 Dec 2012 23:27:21 1,546 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    Any arsenal fan wanting to get rid of Wenger is treading a dangerous line. The odds of getting a manager in who can take them further forward on their budget in the long term is not particularly high.
    As a club we have something like the fifth largest amount of revenue in the world overall. Our budget is not tiny, I do not buy into that. At all. The only reason it seems tiny is that Wenger doesn't want to spend. Unless it is a top top top quality player for a bargain price. Loads of them about, so we should be grand after the January transfer window!
  • Dougs 11 Dec 2012 23:39:02 64,887 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That was errm pretty poor, it has to be said. Well done to Bradford, fully deserved. Always looked like being one of those days. Not the first or last time we've done that though.
  • Dougs 11 Dec 2012 23:41:27 64,887 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    Um... Wenger out? Genuinely, I mean.
    Nah. We were and have been pretty shit but it takes more than this to unsettle us. As someone said, we ain't Chelsea.
  • RobTheBuilder 11 Dec 2012 23:43:08 6,521 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @QotSAfan I'm not sure that he doesn't want to!
  • TheWad 12 Dec 2012 00:30:22 7 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just got back, fucking buzzing. Sat watching the ticker on Sky Sports News, still can't believe it. Arsenal look like they need a striker to me, an old school direct greedy bastard.

/ annual post over, slopes back off...
  • Syrette 12 Dec 2012 00:42:31 41,799 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago

It gets worse every time I watch it.

• danathjo 12 Dec 2012 00:52:07 6,909 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh god, so much worse from that angle
  • THFourteen 12 Dec 2012 07:36:49 31,783 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    Any arsenal fan wanting to get rid of Wenger is treading a dangerous line. The odds of getting a manager in who can take them further forward on their budget in the long term is not particularly high.
    How about getting a manager who doesn't keep playing Ramsey on the wing, Gervinho as a centre forward or a manager who motivates players to give 100%?

I'm no longer worried about taking the team forwards, I'm tired of watching this insipid performances every year.

It's time for a change, good or bad who knows, but its time.
  • Dougs 12 Dec 2012 07:38:53 64,887 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Booooooo!
  • THFourteen 12 Dec 2012 07:47:46 31,783 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can't keep pretending everything is ok anymore just because i am afraid to be seen as one of "those" arsenal fans.

I haven't been happy with the team for a few years now, and i dont even like most of our own squad. Sad indictment. But i am no longer going to pretend.
  • Fab4 12 Dec 2012 07:51:08 5,690 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I remember the 80's..that's all I'm saying.
  • THFourteen 12 Dec 2012 07:52:48 31,783 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I only remember 89 i was too young to remember anything before that, so the 80s were grand :-)

i understand what you are saying, we could get worse, but we could also get better with a new manager and new ideas, and a bit of money to spend now too (apparently).

5 years ago i would have said there was a 75% chance whoever came in after wenger would be worse
    Now i think its only about a 33% chance.

I'll take those odds.
  • nickthegun 12 Dec 2012 07:53:20 55,848 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The obvious solution is to get Henry back on loan. That will cheer all you grumpy trousers up.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• THFourteen 12 Dec 2012 08:06:44 31,783 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    my worst fear is that he'll come back and be turd and then i will cry :-(

on the positive side, the tuesday club podcast should be good this week!
  • Ka-blamo 12 Dec 2012 08:17:43 7,096 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Syrette wrote:

Woah, that's some weird optical illusion for me, when I expect him to shoot with his left he does, and when I expect a right foot he does :/

Which foot does he shoot with?
  • roz123 12 Dec 2012 08:21:48 7,107 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Arsenal are so desperate for a trophy that Wenger abandoned his kids in the league cup policy which he even kept to in the final against us 5 or 6 years ago.
  • Deleted user 12 December 2012 08:27:38
    @Fab4 Despite being a West Ham fan I was able to go to some Arsenal home games for free back in the early 80's, and Arsenal were class then I can tell you!

As far as current Arsenal are concerned, I can't understand why Wenger has a problem with spending the money that is made available to him every season. The owners want him to spend more money, the fans do and have wanted this for a long time. Every season though he trawls the youth teams of every major European club, trying to find a bargain, and he keeps going on about building a team for the future!
  • kalel 12 Dec 2012 08:30:09 83,839 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    "You feel embarrassed when you don't give everything, I think they'll be more disappointed and frustrated."
    But isn't it also embarrassing to give everything and that not be enough to beat Bradford?
  • THFourteen 12 Dec 2012 08:32:39 31,783 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This "Wenger never spends any money" is a myth to be honest

lets look at last nights team

Scezney - home grown i guess

Gibbs - home grown
    Mertesacker - bought
    vermalen - bought
    sagna - bought

wilshire - home grown
    coquelin - home grown
    cazorla - bought

podolski - bought
    gervinho - bought
    ramsey - bought

and of the subs that came on

chamakh - bought
    rosicky - bought
    oxlade - bought

The truth that Arsenal fans don't like to hear is that Wenger has spent a LOT of money on rubbish players. Or he has spent a lot of money on good players who he has trained to be rubbish.

Either way i dont trust him with any more cash.
  • Dougs 12 Dec 2012 08:53:45 64,887 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Of those that he bought though, only Chamakh and Gervinho are proper rubbish. That happens sometimes - for a variety of reasons, things don't work out. The difference is, up until now, we're limited to the 10-15m bracket as soon as you go after players in the 20m+, City, Utd, Chelsea, Real etc are interested and we can't compete. See this week's Tuesday Club for further details.

And also worth checking out the Bantams Banter podcast, which they did with Tuesday Club during the game, so that should be good for a giggle.
  • Shikasama 12 Dec 2012 09:09:42 6,272 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ka-blamo wrote:
    Syrette wrote:

Woah, that's some weird optical illusion for me, when I expect him to shoot with his left he does, and when I expect a right foot he does :/

Which foot does he shoot with?
    Love the facepalm from the Bradford player with gloves
  • nickthegun 12 Dec 2012 09:35:22 55,848 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I seriously can't work out gervino. It's not like he was George weahs cousin when he came in.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• THFourteen 12 Dec 2012 09:46:13 31,783 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If we move up to the 20+ million bracket, Wenger will sign players like Downing, Henderson and Carroll.
  • Dougs 12 Dec 2012 09:56:08 64,887 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I seriously can't work out gervino. It's not like he was George weahs cousin when he came in.
    He's just another mentally fragile soul. I still think he could be an important player for us but he is very random. Does lots of good things and some really, really shit things.
  • The-Bodybuilder 12 Dec 2012 10:11:58 13,612 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Syrette wrote:

what's amazing is that he used the wrong foot. Any player with a brain should use his right foot to redirect the ball towards the net.
    what's even more amazing is,,,,,,,isn't he right-footed? So he used his weaker foot in a situation where its made for him to use his stronger foot.

That truly is stupidity, And they say Walcott lacks football intelligence, it looks like Gerboue lacks general intelligence.
  • The-Bodybuilder 12 Dec 2012 10:14:30 13,612 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Ka-blamo heh, I can't tell now, looks like he did use his right afterall.
  • The-Bodybuilder 12 Dec 2012 10:21:02 13,612 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Of those that he bought though, only Chamakh and Gervinho are proper rubbish. That happens sometimes - for a variety of reasons, things don't work out. The difference is, up until now, we're limited to the 10-15m bracket as soon as you go after players in the 20m+, City, Utd, Chelsea, Real etc are interested and we can't compete. See this week's Tuesday Club for further details.

And also worth checking out the Bantams Banter podcast, which they did with Tuesday Club during the game, so that should be good for a giggle.
    I do agree in a way, I don't blame Wenger for paying him at that price. Looked like a deal at the time, considering he did more than Hazard to win Lille the league.

What I do blame him for is playing him as a CF. Only Wenger will PERSISTENTLY play our best finisher as a winger, and arguably our worst finisher ever (he's definitely one of the worst) as our CF. He's playing the striker who's a natural CF as a winger, and the winger who's natural position is on the wing, as a striker. Barring one game, its failed virtually every single time this season, yet for reasons unknown to us, persists.
  • Lamb 12 Dec 2012 11:01:55 467 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm not sure its that humiliating for Arsenal to lose at Bradford City. It shows strong competition and justifies more down to earth wages and transfer fees, and tv football subscriptions.

Humiliating new low for Wenger as Arsenal's best hope of ending trophy drought is wrecked in penalty shootout by Bradford... the League Two minnows with a team that cost just 7,500
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2246615/Arsenal-lose-Bradford-Capital-One-League-Cup.html
  • Ka-blamo 12 Dec 2012 19:44:42 7,096 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    @Ka-blamo heh, I can't tell now, looks like he did use his right afterall.
    See! :)

You see what you want to see
  • Page

of 179 First / Last