The Official Veronica Mars Thread

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous
  • Huntcjna 13 Oct 2005 11:16:26 13,877 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ok I have posted about this in a few other TV related threads but I thought it deserved its own so heres an amalgamation of my previous posts

Just out of interest does anyone here watch Veronica Mars?

It airs opposite Lost in the states and is currently the second most popular show on that night of the week behind Lost. I watched the first series over a 3 day period and its absolutely fantastic at times I enjoyed it even more than lost its dark and funny and steals the best of everyone elses ideas.

Basically It involves a super hot 17 year old girl called Veronica Mars whos best friend is murdered while she is dating the murdered friends brother. Her dad is the local sheriff and tries to pin the murder on her boyfriends father. He gets away with it when a man confesses (very dodgy cover up) and her boyfriend dumps her, she is drugged and raped at a party in the aftermath and her whole world collapses. The public sack her father as sheriff for going for the wrong man, he becomes a private detective and she helps with his caseload.

It mixes ideas from without a trace, buffy, the oc, csi and the guessing qualities of lost.

You get a little mystery each week for her to solve with this massive coincidence and conspiracy theory hidden behind it. So its satisfies from week to week but still leaves you longing for answers like all the best dramas do. Go find it and give it a shot Series 2 has just started to air in the states.

Series 1 is also being showed 6pm weeknights on Living TV of all places albeit with heavy censor cuts. However if you don't start from the beginning it just wrecks it so wait for the re run if possible.

Also Series 1 has just been made available on DVD in the US

Veronica Mars Series 1 Box Set

£31.99 Delivered 6 Disc set from playusa.com

Im currently up to Series 2 Episode 3 and the general consensuss from most forums I visit seems to be that most people are taping lost and watching this at the moment.

So thoughts and no spoilers if possible for the new people if we need a thread for that we can create a seperate one.

EDIT: ARRGGGHHH can a mod edit this so its not in "Gaming" Cheers

Edited by Huntcjna at 11:18:34 13-10-2005
  • LaundroMat 13 Oct 2005 12:50:54 1,442 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So its satisfies from week to week but still leaves you longing for answers like all the best dramas do.

Not my definition of "best drama", but I will have a look though. Thanks for the pointer.
  • morriss 13 Oct 2005 12:54:52 71,283 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What this got to do with 'Gaming'?

/antagonises
  • Huntcjna 13 Oct 2005 13:06:03 13,877 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    tengu wrote:
    You got me interested in this with your post in the Lost thread a couple days ago fella, I ordered the box set to give it a looksee. If I don't like it, I'm blaming you :)

Im prepared to take that chance
  • eviltobz  13 Oct 2005 13:49:38 2,609 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    i've been enjoying this a lot. and with kevin smith appearing in s2e2 and joss whedon coming up in s2e6, it like a fanboy's wet dream for me :)
  • quedex 13 Oct 2005 14:01:54 3,135 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The first season was quite patchy. It had some really great eps, some badly written filler stories, and a couple of storyline "handbrake turns".

Hopefully, now that they know they've got the full support for the whole year it should be a lot more consistent.

But it is definitely worth checking out.
  • Huntcjna 21 Oct 2005 14:34:07 13,877 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Still loving this I have the latest episode to watch over the weekend did anyone else pick it up/find it?
  • jellyhead 8 Nov 2005 09:13:53 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Great Show, just finished Season 1 and loved it.
    Oh and Kristen Bell, she's in Pooty Tang riiiiiiight at the very end in the credits.
    My brother is getting this for me from America, hopefully this week. :)

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Huntcjna 8 Nov 2005 10:05:40 13,877 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    tengu wrote:
    Well, just finished the first season DVD set of this and all I can say is: awesome, awesome show. Thanks very much for putting me onto it Huntcjna :)

Why on Earth hasn't this been on terrestrial TV yet? Far as I can see, it's wallowing on the shitfest channel 'Living TV'. Travesty.

Im really glad you enjoyed it tengu I wasn't really in any doubt the new ep's have been great too anything that involves Steve Guttenburg also peaks my interest ten fold.
  • Huntcjna 19 Sep 2006 11:25:35 13,877 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This still remains one of the best shows on US television at the moment the fact that its rotting in daytime hell on Living Tv here of all channels is rather worrying.

Anyway the whole point of this post is to let any interested party's know that movietyme.com currently have the first season box set region 1 on 24 hour uk delivery for an astonishing £23.99.

Thats 6 discs and over 20 Hours of complex crime action.

Buy me, buy me now
  • Flightrisker 19 Sep 2006 11:34:52 18,138 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I really really really wanted to like this show. Big Buffy/Angfel/Firefly/Lost etc fan so I thought I would , but I just couldn't get into it. Got about 10 episodes in before giving up. I just found the show very juvenille

It's not that it's bad, it's just that there's a lot of stuff I consider to be in a different league to it. I just found BattleStar Galactica. Oh man what a show! No spoilers please!!n Only 5 eps in, Sharon Valerie is a godess.

At least the show's getting a good push in Ireland. It's shown here at 2:30 in the afternoon on a kids station :(
  • jellyhead 19 Sep 2006 11:36:45 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I really liked the first series but the second wasn't as good.
    I would like to see a series 3 but i reckon they may break it if they do. :(

• Huntcjna 19 Sep 2006 11:40:11 13,877 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Flightrisker wrote:
    It's not that it's bad, it's just that there's a lot of stuff I consider to be in a different league to it. I just found BattleStar Galactica.

It seems kind of strange that you would consider it juvenile in say relation to Buffy. The scripting is ten times better on Veronica and a lot more guilt edged at time with plenty of strong sexual humour.

Obviously we all have different tastes I for one thought Galactica was utter toss.

Each to their own I suppose. :(
  • Flightrisker 19 Sep 2006 11:56:18 18,138 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Huntcjna wrote:
    Flightrisker wrote:
    It's not that it's bad, it's just that there's a lot of stuff I consider to be in a different league to it. I just found BattleStar Galactica.

It seems kind of strange that you would consider it juvenile in say relation to Buffy. The scripting is ten times better on Veronica and a lot more guilt edged at time with plenty of strong sexual humour.

Obviously we all have different tastes I for one thought Galactica was utter toss.

Each to their own I suppose. :(

The difference with Buffy was it grew up with it's audience. So while early seasons we're juvenille, this suited the target audience. The show then matured with them and became a very different show by the end.

I'm not saying Veronica Mars won't do this, but it's entry level is to juvenille for me to get into it.

It's like if Buffy started today from season 1 there's no way I'd be able to get into it.

And Battlestar is bloody brilliant! :)
  • quedex 19 Sep 2006 11:58:54 3,135 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    I would like to see a series 3 but i reckon they may break it if they do. :(
    Season 3 starts 3 October.
  • jellyhead 19 Sep 2006 12:07:04 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I was hoping someone wouldn't say that, i'm nervous now. :)
    She has to be in uni this season unless she drops out.
    Hopefully it's more of the first season rather than the second, i've not looked to be honest for fear of disappointment.
    I'll wait for one of my friends to float it my way in the flood. ;)

• Vinicity 19 Sep 2006 12:11:47 211 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just a quick heads up:

Season 2 of Veronica Mars starts this Thursday on Swedish SVT2 at 8 pm.

Don't miss it!
  • quedex 19 Sep 2006 12:18:24 3,135 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    She has to be in uni this season unless she drops out.
    Hopefully it's more of the first season rather than the second, i've not looked to be honest for fear of disappointment.
    A couple of the interviews with the showrunners have suggested that even they thought they got season 2 wrong. So this year there are going to be a bunch of smaller mini-mysteries instead of one huge convoluted mess.

... MINI SPOILER ...
    The first mini-mystery is going to wrap up the rapist storyline introduced when Veronica went on the Uni visit last year.
    ... /MINI SPOILER ...
  • jellyhead 19 Sep 2006 12:34:00 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I thought they'd already solved *that* mystery at the end of 2?

• Tricky 19 Sep 2006 12:52:21 4,479 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    /still doesn't see what was "wrong" about season 2 :-/

I liked season 2 even better than season 1, personally. Still think that channel 4 missed out on a ratings winner by not buying this one up. They probably couldn't afford it, what with having already bought Desperate Housewives and Lost.

Don't get what you're going on about though Flightrisker, about VM being juvenile. As a contrast, I tried watching series one of Buffy recently and it definitely didn't gel as well as I remember it doing when I first saw it, but I only saw series 1 of VM last year and it never once struck me as being immature; quite the opposite, in fact. It features some of the best writing currently around on TV.

Utterly agree with you on BG though, mate ;-)
  • Wobble 19 Sep 2006 12:56:39 1,028 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    i watched the first 5 or so eps of this when it was run on living on saturday mornings at 11.. then they started messing about with the scheduling and put it on at 10 one week.. when any self respecting person would still be asleep, then they skipped the next week entirely.. and well it just pissed me off, so i decided to get the boxset, and have been waiting for it to come out sub £20 since...

that movietyme price is dangerously close to acceptable...
  • quedex 19 Sep 2006 13:46:57 3,135 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    I thought they'd already solved *that* mystery at the end of 2?
    Nope, they solved pretty much everything else though.

The episode I'm talking about is the one where she went on the open day to uni and met Troy there (her boyfriend for a few eps in Season 1 who turned out to be a drug dealer and scarpered to Mexico). They all went to a party, Troy got himself accused of raping a girl he met there, Veronica proved that Troy didn't do it, but never found the person who did. Which is where...
  • Knighty 19 Sep 2006 15:38:23 991 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oooooh loved series 1 and 2, so looking forward to series 3. And Kristen Bell.....

/rubs more than knees....
  • jellyhead 19 Sep 2006 15:45:10 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    aha, quedex I'd forgotten all about that one, i thought it was the *other* rape.
    How bad does that sound? 0_0

• warlockuk 19 Sep 2006 15:45:49 19,214 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What -is- Veronica Mars anyway? Veronica's Closet in space?

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Carlo 19 Sep 2006 15:51:32 18,178 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is series 3 'out' yet?

PSN ID: Djini

• jellyhead 19 Sep 2006 15:52:34 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Arrrr, bucko. It's the first post o'the thread you need to be reading.
    Arrrr.

• jellyhead 19 Sep 2006 15:52:57 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    3rd of October apparently.

• Carlo 19 Sep 2006 15:54:33 18,178 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    Arrrr, bucko. It's the first post o'the thread you need to be reading.
    Arrrr.
    The first post said Series 2 Ep 3 didn't it?

PSN ID: Djini

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous