The Eurogamer HDTV Guide Page 130

• Page

of 143 First / Last

• Deleted user 8 January 2014 11:55:22
    I'm mainly talking to people looking at non-4K sets. Although I still think you're barmy to get a 4K now. In a year or so you'll be able to get a refined and improved set for a third of the price.
  • Deleted user 8 January 2014 12:05:18
    But at 850 it wouldn't be a flagship with all the extras I need to keep me happy with it for 4-5years.

For the last two weeks I've had an option on the KD-55X9005a at 2,600 with the 5year warranty and am still very tempted, as I very much doubt I'll be able to buy the replacement Sony with Fluid dynamic speakers next-year for cheaper than that price.

I've waited this long to see if a new model would lower the price further and get me the 65 at that price. But CES has resulted in showing how good last year's 4K really was, and now I'm hearing the world cup will be broadcast in 4K.

Edited by vizzini at 12:06:21 08-01-2014
  • Deleted user 8 January 2014 12:07:39
    For the difference in price you could get a sound system that would utterly piss on those speakers.
  • Deleted user 8 January 2014 12:15:08
    Maybe, but then I would have bought two things I didn't really want, that take up more space, use much more power and have none of the integrated elegance or one button convenience of good sound built-in to the TV. And I wouldn't get to hear the sound system piss on those speakers, as it will be mostly late night use, and the difference at such small deflection will be hard to appreciate.
  • Deleted user 8 January 2014 12:19:27
    Actually at that price you could sort yourself out with some top drawer micro speakers that take up less space and power, a top-end universal remote to give you your integrated elegance, and a superb set of audiophile standard headphones for late night use.

But whatever. You've quite clearly made your mind up and aren't looking for any advice beyond validation, and all power to you. Enjoy. But you'll never convince me it's a sensible way to spend nearly 3k.
  • monkman76 8 Jan 2014 12:33:04 5,406 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Right, well I seem to have settled for the GT60. You only come this way once etc. Now I have to wait until Monday for Richer Sounds to get stock in :(
  • Punctum 8 Jan 2014 12:39:42 1,045 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @monkman76
    Enjoy!

42" or 50"?
  • monkman76 8 Jan 2014 12:46:02 5,406 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    42" sadly. Will just have to sit closer!
  • AccidentProne 8 Jan 2014 13:24:41 1,174 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My old TV is rather showing its age now. I really should try and hold off, but am seriously tempted by the final Panasonic plasmas. Just trying to decide which one to get.

Going for 50" I think, so it's between the GT60 and VT65. Any of you VT65 owners think it's worth the 500 or so more than the GT60? From what I've read, there's not a massive difference in picture quality, but I guess some of the features could be useful. Ack, this is hard, maybe I should just wait...
  • Armoured_Bear 8 Jan 2014 14:00:32 11,895 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Actually at that price you could sort yourself out with some top drawer micro speakers that take up less space and power, a top-end universal remote to give you your integrated elegance, and a superb set of audiophile standard headphones for late night use.

But whatever. You've quite clearly made your mind up and aren't looking for any advice beyond validation, and all power to you. Enjoy. But you'll never convince me it's a sensible way to spend nearly 3k.
    Indeed, you have to be utterly mental to spend that on a Telly just now...

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Kay 8 Jan 2014 16:46:57 17,969 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @monkman76 Just a heads-up, I've noticed that Hiway Hi-Fi have that model for 50 less than RS (with a five year guarantee), and it seems to be in stock right now:

http://www.hiwayhifi.co.uk/panasonic-txp42gt60b-42-fhd-3d-plasma

At the very least, you might be able to use them to price match with RS.
  • woodnotes 8 Jan 2014 17:05:15 4,943 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    AccidentProne wrote:
    My old TV is rather showing its age now. I really should try and hold off, but am seriously tempted by the final Panasonic plasmas. Just trying to decide which one to get.

Going for 50" I think, so it's between the GT60 and VT65. Any of you VT65 owners think it's worth the 500 or so more than the GT60? From what I've read, there's not a massive difference in picture quality, but I guess some of the features could be useful. Ack, this is hard, maybe I should just wait...
    I've got the 50" VT65, it's just incredible. I was tempted about saving money and going for the GT50, but the design looks so dated compared to the VT65. The GT also seemed to exhibit slight posterisation whereas I don't see any at all on the VT (down to # of gradients I think). The VT also has far, far better front-firing speakers and built in sub if you don't have the room or inclination for a separate AV system.

Personally, I'm glad I spent the extra as the design means my VT65 will look splendid in my lounge for the many years to come - especially now there will be no future plasmas to replace it. I suppose it depends whether you class your TV as a piece of furniture too.

So, pleased with the VT65. It still blows me away every time I turn it on (and others who come to my house), and I've had it since May. After years of LCD, it's just phenomenal. The ridiculously deep blacks, crystal-clear motion (especially noticeable on 60fps games), low input-lag, incredible representation of movie content and lack of DSE (dirty screen effect) makes it my best and most satisfying TV purchase of all time. LCDs just seem really 'hollow' in comparison now. Don't be fooled by plasma vs LCD performance in shops under bright lights, when you get it in your own home, plasma shines through.

Really sad to think it's the end of the technology now, but I'm so glad I got in there before it was no more.

Edited by woodnotes at 17:10:42 08-01-2014
  • Punctum 8 Jan 2014 17:50:35 1,045 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @woodnotes
    Couldn't agree more regarding plasma and LCD appearance in shop conditions. My ST60 looked awful under the store lighting.

Like you, mine has blown me away after having LCD screens for the past 6 years. Far more natural images and greater depth of image makes viewing a lot more enjoyable.
  • monkman76 8 Jan 2014 20:02:02 5,406 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Kay Thanks, tried to get them to price match PRC Direct at 919, but if it's an in-store price you're matching, the store has to be within 50 miles of the RS store. It's about 75 miles from mine (Brighton) but might be nearer you - it's in Essex somewhere.

Managed to get them down to 970 including 5 year warranty anyway, 30's better than a kick in the teeth :)
  • AccidentProne 8 Jan 2014 20:49:23 1,174 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @woodnotes Cheers for that, you've definitely swayed me back towards the VT65.
  • PatrickEwing 8 Jan 2014 21:02:14 2,150 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    50" ST60 is 799 at the moment, non too shabby a price. I may have missed it earlier in the thread but how much is that VT65 your looking at?
  • AccidentProne 8 Jan 2014 21:04:28 1,174 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Currently I think the GT60 is 1000 and the VT65 1500 or thereabouts.
  • Bremenacht 8 Jan 2014 21:34:31 19,663 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    one button convenience of good sound built-in to the TV
    Even basic A/V receivers with HDMI offer 'no button' convenience, as they should detect signal on the relevant input and turn themselves on. However, you've already convinced yourself that built-in speakers are better than a surround setup.
  • Bremenacht 8 Jan 2014 21:53:17 19,663 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    AccidentProne wrote:
    Currently I think the GT60 is 1000 and the VT65 1500 or thereabouts.
    Six year warranty from a Panasonic Store.
  • Deleted user 8 January 2014 23:46:55
    @Bremenacht

Despite you making a valid point, that wasn't the same context I was thinking about. And I certainly can't justify burning over double the TV's electric for separate AV equipment any more.

Kalel rightfully points out about some good headphones, and that still applies whether I was using the twin 1080p60 simuview for playing on the WiiU with headphones or the PS4 using pad audio.

But the one button context was really more to do with our PVR remote and WiiU pad's ability to change the TV volume and control the PVR. All separate options require me to use either the TV remote or AV tuner remote to control my AV tuner volume. Yes we have an advanced remote commander option via the better half's Xperia tablet and I use it from time to time, but since getting a WiiU I've just stopped using the AV Tuner for all but blu-ray film.

As a different point, how long do you think Panasonic will support current plasma screens with firmware updates for the smart tv functionality? From looking at Toshiba they are rubbish, Sony are slowly getting better, and Samsung I don't have much experience with since the advent of Smarttv features.

Edited by vizzini at 23:59:52 08-01-2014
  • monkman76 14 Jan 2014 11:59:55 5,406 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Argh, it seems the GT60 is out of stock pretty much everywhere, with the chance that Panasonic won't even make any more :cry:

If anyone sees it in stock anywhere in the south east please shout! (42" version.) Want to buy in-store to get the 5-year warranty.
  • Bremenacht 14 Jan 2014 12:05:18 19,663 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    Argh, it seems the GT60 is out of stock pretty much everywhere, with the chance that Panasonic won't even make any more :cry:

If anyone sees it in stock anywhere in the south east please shout! (42" version.) Want to buy in-store to get the 5-year warranty.
    http://pinner.store.panasonic.co.uk/c-2-vieratvs.aspx

Ring them.
  • Short-Round 14 Jan 2014 12:09:59 1,181 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    And Richer Sounds will deliver for free. Phone your closest branch, rather than the telesales number.
  • Bremenacht 14 Jan 2014 12:13:38 19,663 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    vizzini user wrote:
    And I certainly can't justify burning over double the TV's electric for separate AV equipment any more.
    Ha! I just noticed this. Paying 000's more for a TV that could be superceded within a short time makes sense, yet paying 10 or 20 (if that) in electricity for an AV separate cannot be justified? This thread is going to be weirdly useful without vizzini about.

vizzini user wrote:
    As a different point, how long do you think Panasonic will support current plasma screens with firmware updates for the smart tv functionality?
    Just in case you're still peeping, people who buy Panasonic Plasmas usually buy them for PQ, which they can get the best of without needing any firmware update.
  • monkman76 14 Jan 2014 12:20:05 5,406 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks Brem and SR, but neither of those options have stock. I'm on a list at my local Richer Sounds (Brighton) for when they do get stock in, but they didn't sound too confident that that would actually happen.

The Panasonic store in Crawley has stock I think but they're charging 1100 - feck me that's a lot for a telly :/
  • monkman76 14 Jan 2014 12:20:57 5,406 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    vizzini user wrote:
    And I certainly can't justify burning over double the TV's electric for separate AV equipment any more.
    Ha! I just noticed this. Paying 000's more for a TV that could be superceded within a short time makes sense, yet paying 10 or 20 (if that) in electricity for an AV separate cannot be justified? This thread is going to be weirdly useful without vizzini about.

vizzini user wrote:
    As a different point, how long do you think Panasonic will support current plasma screens with firmware updates for the smart tv functionality?
    Just in case you're still peeping, people who buy Panasonic Plasmas usually buy them for PQ, which they can get the best of without needing any firmware update.
    Necromancer!
  • Bremenacht 14 Jan 2014 12:49:56 19,663 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    :D

You could try ringing the northern Panasonic stores. The website shows ST60s in stock up there.
  • Kay 15 Jan 2014 11:42:42 17,969 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Popped into Richer Sounds yesterday evening and they had the GT60 in stock so, erm, ended up buying it. Considering how much everyone seems to go on about plasma picture quality, and what with stock running out fast, I thought fuck it. Plus I've now gone from 32 > 42 > 50", which is the perfect size for my room (about 3m viewing distance).

The set should be delivered by the weekend. Some people seem to go on about breaking the set in and only playing certain content for the first hundred or so hours, do I really need to bother with all that? Obviously I'm not going to go silly and leave logos and HUDs on the screen for hours, but I would like to start using the thing for what I bought it for! I really hope I don't get any of the plasma issues that I've seen mentioned - DFC, judder etc. - or at least that I don't notice them. After years of gaming on LCD screens, hopefully the change will all be positive.

Edited by Kay at 11:44:11 15-01-2014
  • Deleted user 15 January 2014 11:46:39
    It isn't really gaming where you'll see the benefit with plasma tbh. But yeah, will be good for movies and sport and such.

I wouldn't worry too much about breaking in your screen but I would probably keep the brightness and contrast on the low side for a few months. Wouldn't hurt to visit the AV forums just to see what the suggested setting are. If you hate then you don't have to stick with them, but I'd at least start with that.
  • monkman76 15 Jan 2014 11:49:47 5,406 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Kay Nice one! How much was it?

I'm currently agonising over whether to stump up 1100 for the 42" GT60 (from a Panasonic store) or get the ST60 for little over half the price at 600.

Did they have stock of the 42" GT60 do you know?
  • Page

of 143 First / Last