• Errol 19 Sep 2013 23:13:46 12,507 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    How much of an angle?
  • gammonbanter 20 Sep 2013 04:54:10 1,509 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    wizardofoz85 wrote:
    Yeah, I recently bought the 40w905. Excellent for everything I've thrown at it so far.
    I'm just playing Tales of Vesperia at the moment which I've had for a few years but never got around to playing and it looks pretty good.

The only issue I've noticed with it so far is the pink tinge noted on avforums if you look at it from an angle but I've found it to happen at an angle I'd never actually watch/play at
    A man will find any fault with his HDTV and fixate on it for ever, only the truly wise will let it go and enjoy their telly warts 'n' all!

/has had screen replaced for clouding the size of a 2p coin

Edited by gammonbanter at 04:54:33 20-09-2013
  • Maturin 20 Sep 2013 08:29:33 3,101 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I agree with that. We are often intolerant of tiny flaws that never would have bothered us in the CRT days before we became obsessed with such things.

My model of TV in my study has a slight clouding issue. And the only time it is remotely visible is on the plain white menus - never actually when watching something. But I've seen AVForum rants about it and I think - crikey you're getting a great TV for a low price, calm down.
  • Blakester 20 Sep 2013 08:56:15 3,636 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've got the 55w905 and it's a wonderful TV with brilliant motion handling and deep blacks.

It does have the pink tinge when viewed from an angle, so not ideal if you're not watching head-on for a considerable amount of time.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• wizardofoz85 20 Sep 2013 14:02:31 313 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Errol well, the only time I've actually noticed it is when I'm standing directly in front of the TV either looking at it from above whilst changing discs or directly to it's side. Normal use I've never noticed it.

It's my gaming/movie bedroom TV so I usually look at it directly from the front and if I'm honest am not gonna go looking for any faults with it if I can't see them in "normal" use for me.
  • Errol 21 Sep 2013 13:55:49 12,507 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    TV in my room will be in a corner so people will be watching it from an angle. Guess I might have to go and check out the sony in a shop.
  • Deleted user 24 October 2013 13:03:38
    Ive recently bought a Panasonic TX-L50DT65B LED but cant find any calibration settings for gaming, would anyone be able to help?
    Also the TV has an option in the menu for RGB range. Should i have it on normal or full? Thanks.
  • ecu 31 Oct 2013 18:31:55 77,034 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Panasonic ends production of Plasma TV's.
  • Bremenacht 1 Nov 2013 00:41:43 18,761 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh that sucks.

So, upgrade to something like a ZT or VT over the next 6 months, or wait a couple of years more for much more expensive 4K set.
  • Deleted user 1 November 2013 00:51:58
    Wow, that's a lot more surprising than Pioneer stopping Plasma production a few years back. Panasonic screens are far more mainstream.

Not a big fan of Panny screens, but still a shame, they are still far better than LCDs.
  • Deleted user 1 November 2013 01:24:41
    @rumblesushi

They really are not, if were talking flagship LCD edge enhanced panels. When most of the content benefits more from pixel accuracy rather than the slightly better shades of grey in daylight, top of the line 4k LCD/LED hybrids produce a better balanced result. The three competing TV technologies (four if we include LCD of old or five with OLED) have gotten to the stage where improving contrast is probably the least benefit you'll get. Sharpness, colour accuracy and motion processing are far more important to enhance games, blu-ray and tv sports content.

Quite a lot of friends bought into the plasma technology and content never looks crisp enough on their sets imo, regardless of how good other aspects of the picture are.
  • Deleted user 1 November 2013 01:44:08
    @vizzini They really are. I've never seen any LCD that can match the deep, natural looking picture a Plasma can produce. LCDs look raspy and artificial.

I've also never seen an LCD match the black levels of a plasma without looking crushed and losing shadow detail. Or one that can handle motion as well as a Plasma.

Speaking of crispness, sure, looking sharp and bright is one of LCD's strengths, but to their detriment imo. Plasmas just look nicer and more natural. LCDs look artificially sharp and bright, it's a showroom style picture, not a nice filmic picture.
  • Deleted user 1 November 2013 19:18:42
    @rumblesushi

I just don't get that assessment of LCD hybrid technology, how natural or bright the image looks is how you adjust the TV, whereas you can't transcend the sharpness issues of Plasma or over whitening of LED at full contrast.

Plasma just never feels like a proper step up from the best of CRT (like a KD-36X200) for colour or contrast or motion. Whereas flagship LCDs and LCD hybrids get close enough on all those issues, but equally show off the extra resolution (in the content) through the precision of the pixel technology. Even my current X3000 still looks strong for gaming and HD sport compared to one or two flagship Plasmas I've used.

Basically, I'm currently in the market to buy a flagship TV; probably 4K, and certainly wouldn't look past LCD hybrids of the 4K KD 55X9000 variety. Reviews place it as a big step up from the best 1080p TV I've ever seen(across all material), and that was a KDL-55HX853 that my friend bought last year.

Edited by vizzini at 20:23:42 01-11-2013
  • Youthist 1 Nov 2013 19:21:52 10,028 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's a vizzini vs rumblesushi knowledge-off

Edited by Youthist at 19:22:16 01-11-2013

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• Bremenacht 1 Nov 2013 20:38:17 18,761 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And vizzini loses, again. Can't tell what plasmas he's looked at, but they cannot be recent Panasonics.
  • Deleted user 1 November 2013 20:57:50
    @Bremenacht

Let me match your idiocy with an equally baseless point.
    “And bremenacht loses again”

And yes, one was a recent flagship Pioneer and the other was a recent flagship Panasonic. They still looked really good, but not to the extent I thought I needed to replace my 4-5year old LCD TV to buy one of those. Unlike the HX8 which sent me home quite dejected about my old screen.
  • Bremenacht 1 Nov 2013 21:01:37 18,761 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I got it in first, which gains one point. You copied, which loses you one point.

Hence, I win; you lose.

These recent flagship plasmas were Pioneer and Panasonic? Name them then, 'cos I don't believe you.

Edited by Bremenacht at 21:02:29 01-11-2013
  • kalel 1 Nov 2013 21:16:54 88,454 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Recent Pioneer lol.
  • Bremenacht 1 Nov 2013 21:19:30 18,761 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    :) Kalel!
  • Deleted user 1 November 2013 21:20:32
    You really want me to track down model numbers of TVs I wasn't going to buy?

The people I'm discussing are like you and I, except they change their TVs every 18months. If they claim they bought the latest flagship Pioneer or Panasonic at their screen size(bigger than 46”) with the best part of £2000, I trust that's what they've bought; especially when one of them sent back a flagship LED as faulty when he replaced his previous 2year old flagship Panasonic. We are talking Tvs no older than the Sony Hx8.

But what is the point in me having a discussion with you, if from the word go you don't trust what I'm telling you? I've got nothing to gain from this conversation, as you can always play the I don't believe you card when it doesn't go your way.
  • kalel 1 Nov 2013 21:23:37 88,454 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well, the flagship Panny costs well over £2k, and Pioneer stopped making plasmas in 2009.
  • Deleted user 1 November 2013 21:27:05
    @kalel

So you are saying people haven't been able to buy the best of Pioneer Tvs for 4 years?

And flagship ~50" panny more than £2000 even at trade price?
  • kalel 1 Nov 2013 21:36:07 88,454 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yes, and don't know.
  • kalel 1 Nov 2013 21:37:11 88,454 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh and the "flagship" penny is 60".
  • Deleted user 1 November 2013 21:41:34
    @kalel

So you agree that the pioneers aren't very good to compare to modern LCD hybrids for picture quality, as they aren't good enough?

And the definition of flagship typically means any size that has the top-end signal processing, eg in Sony that would be the Bravia “Pro” signal processing.

But you are hardly going to say you need to spend £20K to have a flagship LG now are you?
  • kalel 1 Nov 2013 21:49:54 88,454 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You've talked yourself round in a circle. Just shush.

And the flagship panny with the top end processing only comes in one size. Again, just shush. Your endless know-it-all yet actually know-nothing drivel is tedious beyond belief.
  • Deleted user 1 November 2013 21:59:53
    @kalel

Yeah right? So now your going to split hairs over the best ~50” models not being flagships; even though they have nothing better at that massive size and still costing the best part of £2000?

The way people ignorantly talk about the virtues of plasma technology, you'd think any of them should be far more impressive than all LCD hybrid technology above about £1200.

My original point was that a flagship LCD hybrid is overall better, and especially for gaming where pixel accuracy is required to see the resolution benefits. Which should be an important aspect to gamers on a gaming website. But ok, as you were.
  • Deleted user 1 November 2013 22:06:25
    I bought a 43" Samsung plasma a couple of weeks back and it's ace. I love the fact that, aside from the standby light being red, you can't even tell if it's on or off if it's displaying a completely black screen.
  • Deleted user 1 November 2013 22:06:31
    The final iteration of a Kuro still beats the shit out of any LCD I've seen, and that definitely includes your 4 or 5 year old one. Not even in the same league of picture quality.

It's like saying a 3DS has a better screen than a Vita :D
  • Youthist 1 Nov 2013 22:07:28 10,028 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I love this shit

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• Page

of 137 First / Last