The Eurogamer HDTV Guide Page 114

• Page

of 137 First / Last

• Jeepers 25 May 2013 20:01:36 13,184 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    vizzini wrote:
    As a slightly more out-there question, has anyone tried painting their lounge/games room a blend of off-red, mixed with off-green paint to get a triliuminos-esq result? I'm tempted to try it, but would probably need to know it improves colour perception in advance.
    Yeah, a friend did it. I was skeptical but wow! Amazing micro contrast with incredible peak control. Well worth I'd say.

Edited by Jeepers at 20:01:51 25-05-2013
  • Rodriguez 25 May 2013 20:17:52 1,097 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    robthehermit wrote:
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    Good heads up on the remote! I downloaded on my Samsung tab :) cheers, I'll give that a whirl tomorrow.

I got those dual play glasses since my other half likes games too and it's another reason I got this tv. I'll try it out tomorrow with Terraria.

Will update on my impressions tomorrow!
    I found the Dual Play feature to be a bit rubbish on my LG, the 2D to 3D upscaling works brilliantly though.
    Only had a quick try with Terraria and seems to work brilliantly. However, it's not got much movement or complexity so maybe that's why. I'll try it with some other titles and see how it goes.
    Yeah, I'd like to hear more of what this feature is like too once you've got stuck into it! I've read quite a few differing opinions on Amazon with a few people mentioning some 'ghosting' of the other players 'screen' entering their 'screen', usually for faster moving stuff like racing games.

What are your initial impressions of the overall picture quality wobbly, for both TV and gaming?
  • Rodriguez 25 May 2013 20:25:43 1,097 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    General update :)

TV is amazing. The picture is great, very sharp with deep blacks. The 3D has really knocked my socks off! I have seen a fair few 3D movies at the cinema but this blows that away. The 2D to 3D upscaling works brilliantly too.

All in all very impressed.

/leaves to watch Avengers Assemble in 3D :-D
    Heh, looks like I missed this whilst writing my post above which has partly answered my previous question :D Great to hear the 3D is so good too!

Be good to hear what it's like for gaming for things like picture quality, clarity of fast moving images and of course 3D gaming!
  • wobbly_Bob 25 May 2013 21:54:06 1,846 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I tried it out quickly with Driver San Francisco and it seems very good. Hopefully other fames play just as well :)
  • monkehhh 25 May 2013 21:59:01 3,437 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm loving having a big screen - totally used to it being my monitor now too :)
  • Maturin 25 May 2013 22:05:04 3,119 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Rodriguez wrote:
    I've read quite a few differing opinions on Amazon with a few people mentioning some 'ghosting' of the other players 'screen' entering their 'screen', usually for faster moving stuff like racing games.
    Certainly my model - the 32LM620T - has had plenty of criticism for things like ghosting. But by the time I bought mine there had been loads of over the air updates and most issues were fixed. I've certainly had no problems with mine. The best update is the one that completely overhauled how the passive 3D worked - doubling the detail.

LG certainly keeps on the ball with software updates.

The tellies do take some tweaking. And getting the right image settings is key. I recommend using the AV Forum picture perfect guide. Getting the right white balance (BT709 best to use) and turning off a load of pointless guff like edge enhancement is key to getting a good picture with this range. And of course turning off frame smoothing when watching a movie.
  • Rodriguez 25 May 2013 23:19:02 1,097 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Maturin

Thanks for that post, I'll stick that page onto my Chrome speed dial for easy reference in future!
  • Maturin 25 May 2013 23:54:58 3,119 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    NP.

I've just tried the 2D -> 3D conversion on my set. I'm surprised to say it was pretty good in some circumstances.

1, Broadcast TV so so.
    2, Blu-ray - Revenge of the Sith opening battle - looked pretty damn good. Surprisingly good 3D effect.
    3, Gaming - This was the big surprise. I was playing Forza Horizon and it really did add plenty of real depth to the scene.

Obviously it's not as good as real 3D, but still in some circumstances I could see myself use it again in the future.
  • Widge Moderator 30 May 2013 08:00:00 13,710 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    http://bit.ly/16rl9Jz

Great eBay pickup this

I want it for myself :(

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• mal 26 Jun 2013 14:48:50 22,727 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    An interesting technical article was published yesterday on why p48 movies are crap, why 30fps is shit, and why that 4k TV you buy next year will barely be any better than your existing HDTV for action movies or games. Also covers obscure (to me) topics like motion resolution and compensation which I've never really understood before. Nothing dramatically new here (especially if you really understood motion resolution already) but for everyone it's a small antidote to 4k hype.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Deckard1 16 Jul 2013 19:08:26 28,765 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Got about 600 to spend, looking for a plasma 42-50 inch - not bothered about any smart stuff or 3D - any recommendations?
  • wobbly_Bob 16 Jul 2013 19:43:01 1,846 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I said that about TV when I was looking into it. The smart stuff I never use. If you have a pc/tablet/console, and so on it's a bit pointless. I'm really enjoying the 3D though. I buy at least one 3D movie a month.
  • CharlieStCloud 16 Jul 2013 20:08:05 5,315 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Got about 600 to spend, looking for a plasma 42-50 inch - not bothered about any smart stuff or 3D - any recommendations?
    If you can stretch your budget by a mere 29, this LG plasma - although going against your 'I am not bothered about' points - is not only a 3D television, but offers all those Smart TV bobbins too.

... five years guaranteed too!

You'd be daft to look elsewhere to find it a tiny bit cheaper with the usual one or two year guaranteed.
  • ronuds 16 Jul 2013 20:29:06 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Do they make non-3D sets anymore?
  • Deckard1 27 Jul 2013 11:46:10 28,765 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nm

Edited by Deckard1 at 11:49:34 27-07-2013
  • Slurmseh 27 Jul 2013 20:45:39 2,344 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:
    If you can stretch your budget by a mere 29, this LG plasma - although going against your 'I am not bothered about' points - is not only a 3D television, but offers all those Smart TV bobbins too.

You'd be daft to look elsewhere to find it a tiny bit cheaper with the usual one or two year guaranteed.
    John Lewis marketing deserve an award. That 5 year guarantee is a law, not an offer they have. Every retailer in the UK has to honour it.
  • Pinky_Floyd 27 Jul 2013 23:50:31 8,082 posts
    Seen 46 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Slurmseh wrote:
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Deckard1 wrote:

John Lewis marketing deserve an award. That 5 year guarantee is a law, not an offer they have. Every retailer in the UK has to honour it.
    Source? Otherwise I am calling your statement a load of misleading rubbish. Items in the UK have a 12 month manufacturers warranty. If it breaks outside that then you may have a fight on your hands as you are into the territory of trying to prove that your item hasnt lasted a reasonable amount of time.
  • Slurmseh 28 Jul 2013 10:57:25 2,344 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Pinky_Floyd http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/738369/738375/OFT002_SOGA_explained.pdf
  • nickthegun 28 Jul 2013 11:01:48 60,617 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The six year period is not the same as a guarantee, but it does mean that even where the guarantee or warranty supplied with the product has ended, your customer may still have legal rights.
    Thats not the same as a no-quibble warranty.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Pinky_Floyd 29 Jul 2013 13:02:36 8,082 posts
    Seen 46 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    The six year period is not the same as a guarantee, but it does mean that even where the guarantee or warranty supplied with the product has ended, your customer may still have legal rights.
    Thats not the same as a no-quibble warranty.
    Agreed and in my experience, you are usually into quite a fight to prove the rights and wrongs of the issue.
  • kalel 29 Jul 2013 13:06:29 88,511 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Particularly as price matching is John Lewis' core proposition.
  • Dougs 29 Jul 2013 13:52:20 68,534 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I would have thought they'd have some kind of catchy strap line....
  • Lukus 6 Aug 2013 21:43:33 19,288 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So, what's the best 40(ish) inch LED TV out at the moment?

Budget of around 600... Would like a Smart one but it will be primarily for films and Xbox 360. Not so fussed about 3D although it might be nice to have the option.

Paintings & Photographs

• Dante_Cubit 6 Aug 2013 21:55:30 1,928 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lukus wrote:

Budget of around 600... Would like a Smart one but it will be primarily for films and Xbox 360. Not so fussed about 3D although it might be nice to have the option.
    I have a Panasonic TX42-E6B which is 2D and has excellent smart features. I use it for blu-ray and Xbox and the picture quality is superb. The sound is actually pretty decent too for such a thin set.
  • Lukus 6 Aug 2013 22:27:49 19,288 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cool, that's one I've already shortlisted. I'm wondering how it compares to this Toshiba one - 40L7355DB

Paintings & Photographs

• Lukus 7 Aug 2013 12:38:28 19,288 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lukus wrote:

Day time Bump and Grind.

Paintings & Photographs

• CharlieStCloud 7 Aug 2013 18:45:01 5,315 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Lukus

This Sony are your best bets ... although I urge you to pop into John Lewis or an independent television shop to see (and try out) those TVs yourself!

: )

The Sony television has (arguably much) deeper blacks whereas the Panasonic is more of an all-round performer.
  • Deckard1 7 Aug 2013 19:16:44 28,765 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So are LEDs the way to go now then? I thought plasmas were still the TV gayers choice?
  • Lukus 7 Aug 2013 20:09:59 19,288 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @CharlieStCloud Cheers, that's another of the Panasonics I've been eyeing up... albeit the 60 version. I'm finding the sheer amount of choice slightly overwhelming. Then most reviews suggest I need a soundbar too. Can I not just hook it up to my hi fi?

Edited by Lukus at 20:14:16 07-08-2013

Paintings & Photographs

• Pinky_Floyd 7 Aug 2013 20:12:35 8,082 posts
    Seen 46 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Im pretty gay for my panasonic plasma!
  • Page

of 137 First / Last