The Eurogamer HDTV Guide Page 105

• Page

of 136 First / Last

• Blakester 18 Jan 2012 16:04:33 3,580 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Scurrminator wrote:
    He's been suckered in by the bright lights of LEDs.
    Which is fine until you want to watch something with plenty of dark scenes...
    That's probably a fair cop. Maybe I should give the GT30 a proper test-drive. As you say I'm sure the Samsung makes your standard blue-sky pixar fare look amazing but I haven't see it cope with something dark like the last Harry Potter.

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• KayJay 18 Jan 2012 16:40:38 5,287 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just a little nod for Scurrminator's Samsung 51" D6900.
    On his posts & links I went for it and it's a cracking panel.

As you say the Pixar stuff is obviously cracking and I can assure you the latest Harry Potter in 3D or 2D will impress (you now get x2 pairs of the shutter glasses in the box).
    My Virgin HD & SD feed also fares pretty well on the 51". My biggest worry about going from 40" to 50"+ was the quality of the SD picture, but I had nothing to worry about. Not sure if it's the TiVo Box, Onkyo receiver or the TV that does some jiggery pokery, but I often have to double check the channel to see if I'm watching BBC1 or BBC1HD, the SD is so good.

Videogames via the PS3 are solid too. The standard response time is pretty good but pop Game Mode on and it just seems even tighter/smoother.

And it looks great too. Obviously personal preference, but I too looked at the Panny's, Sony's & LG's but they really were a step behind the Samsungs in terms of Design/Looks. The D6900 has got a really small Bezel which really helps with the "Popping" of the 3D and it's crazy skinny. Throw in the "Smart Hub", "FreviewHD" built in "WiFi" & "USB Playback" it's packed with goodies for only ~900... :/
  • Scurrminator 18 Jan 2012 16:42:55 8,387 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As eccosse says the Samsung and Pana plasmas are currently vying for top dog and the latest sets are bloody good, especially given the size, features and so on you get for under a grand.
    I'd been a LCD man before hand but I got a plasma this time round and it doesn't disappoint.

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• KayJay 18 Jan 2012 16:49:40 5,287 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Have a read of the AVF review for the D6900

If you compare the "Scores", the Samsung & Panny are too close to call... But the Samsung is defiantly prettier... :)
  • Blakester 18 Jan 2012 16:56:45 3,580 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    KayJay wrote:

If you compare the "Scores", the Samsung & Panny are too close to call... But the Samsung is defiantly prettier... :)
    WAY too big for my lounge unfortunately...

• KayJay 18 Jan 2012 16:59:25 5,287 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ahh bugger. I always thought my 40" was plenty big enough for my living room but since getting the 51" I've kind of been wishing I'd have gone for the 55" version... :)

Are you sure, get that Tape Measure out. :)
  • Scurrminator 18 Jan 2012 18:05:13 8,387 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Blakester wrote:
    KayJay wrote:

Are you sure? I sit about two metres away from this TV and it doesn't feel big.
    It feels fucking awesome :-)

• gammonbanter 18 Jan 2012 21:54:31 1,486 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What's a good power consumption level/rate these days.

I saw a BBC click online ep recently and they said something about power consumption being the top concern for Japanese consumers in wake of the Tsunami!

I can't bear to look a tellies unless I'm in the market - I won't be for a couple of years thankfully.

We tried drinking a beer from every world cup nation http://worldcup2014beers.wordpress.com/

• Blakester 19 Jan 2012 09:04:17 3,580 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Scurrminator wrote:
    Blakester wrote:
    KayJay wrote:

Are you sure? I sit about two metres away from this TV and it doesn't feel big.
    It feels fucking awesome :-)
    Pretty sure dude. I wall-mount the TV above a fireplace so it has to be a certain size or it was look odd. Also not sure my mount can bear the weifght.

• Scurrminator 19 Jan 2012 09:57:00 8,387 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ah fair doos.

• Dougs 19 Jan 2012 10:05:37 66,722 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I would love a 50" screen but the wife was only just convinced by 37". We have a tiny front room, and whilst it would look awesome, the room would be dominated. Might get up to 42" assuming the bezel is thin enough so the actual size is the same...
  • delbert 19 Jan 2012 10:14:03 2,889 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Dougs I reckon you'd get away with the 37" to 42" if you went for the Samsung D7000s as the bezel is really small and to add to that 1/2 of it is a clear persplex so looks like its not there.. Very happy with my 55D7000 it coped with the dark scenes of LOTR:TTT EE Blu-Ray very well :)
  • mikew1985 19 Jan 2012 10:15:23 12,610 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's a slow and insidious process convincing the other half that the TV is too small or the sound is too tinny.

Take every opportunity to remark on it and hang in there. Last year I managed to get the sound system sorted through months of groaning about poor sound quality until she started to agree/want me to shut up.

Now I'm in TV mode and with us moving apartment next month I reckon I can have the new TV bought and in place before April. Minimum 42, must see what's available relatively cheaply in the mid range. Any of last years pannys gone down in price?

I'll probably be looking for one with 3D even though I'll barely use it.

Edited by mikew1985 at 10:15:58 19-01-2012
  • Dougs 19 Jan 2012 10:22:05 66,722 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh, I'm not in the market for one really, current TV panny plasma is still cracking and not fussed by 3D. Just thinking ahead...
  • Blakester 19 Jan 2012 12:49:09 3,580 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yes the wife is unfortunately a massive factor in the decision-making process.

There's no way I'll get a 50"+ telly through the door if it dominates our small lounge.

She's very taken with the look of the D7000 which I could easily get as a 46" on virtue of the fact it has little no bezel. Problem is the 1300 price tag : /

• Deleted user 19 January 2012 12:59:53
    Indeed
  • sam_spade 19 Jan 2012 14:21:37 15,745 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm in the market for a new TV and I'm torn between a GT30 or Sammy D.

Thinking 3D would be cool, and about 40" would be size. I'd like DLNA (for the family vids) and YouTube for the little lads obsession with trains. Other than that just the usual Bluerays, gaming and Corrie for the missus. Can anyone sway me in either direction?
  • Blakester 19 Jan 2012 14:38:05 3,580 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    sam_spade wrote:
    I'm in the market for a new TV and I'm torn between a GT30 or Sammy D.

Thinking 3D would be cool, and about 40" would be size. I'd like DLNA (for the family vids) and YouTube for the little lads obsession with trains. Other than that just the usual Bluerays, gaming and Corrie for the missus. Can anyone sway me in either direction?
    Pretty much my dilemma.

From what I've read/ witnessed so far:

GT30

+ More natural picture
    + Better with motion (sports for example)
    + Great black-levels
    + Cost

- Fairly unremarkable design
    - Not great for daytime viewing if you have a bright room
    - Reports of green blobs appearing on screen
    - No 3D glasses included

D7000/8000

+ Stunning design
    + Colours and brightness really 'pop'
    + 2 x 3G glasses included

- Edge-lit LED means it is prone to clouding and ghosting
    - Black levels not as defined as the Panny
    - Not great with fast moving images
    - Cost

Tough innit!

• kalel 19 Jan 2012 14:40:23 86,417 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    For me that's a no brainer. The negatives for the Sammy are far far bigger issues.
  • mrpon 19 Jan 2012 14:46:37 28,486 posts
    Seen 44 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    T3 verdict

GT30 - 5*
    D8000 - 5*

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Scurrminator 19 Jan 2012 14:57:22 8,387 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    you guys should be including the D6900 Sammy Plasma - it trumps the LED sets and is cheaper/bigger

• sam_spade 19 Jan 2012 17:37:12 15,745 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Scurrminator wrote:
    you guys should be including the D6900 Sammy Plasma - it trumps the LED sets and is cheaper/bigger

Don't throw more agonising into the mix!!
  • mcmothercruncher 21 Jan 2012 17:13:09 6,487 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Power's about a 100 watts a year on the 40" LED backlit Toshiba I just bought.
    Looking at plasma power consumption scared the life out of me when researching, actually.
  • gammonbanter 22 Jan 2012 01:10:34 1,486 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think power consumption is important - it shouldn't cost to watch TV, also heat is a bitch!

We tried drinking a beer from every world cup nation http://worldcup2014beers.wordpress.com/

• Page

of 136 First / Last