UseNet & Newsgroups ....! Page 4

• Page

of 19 First / Last

• FooAtari 12 Jan 2008 21:10:40 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can anyone send me an invite to newzbin? please :)
  • Whizzo 12 Jan 2008 21:14:05 42,758 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    PM me your email and I'll send you one.

This space left intentionally blank.

• FooAtari 12 Jan 2008 23:14:32 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    done

ta
  • Bloodloss 12 Jan 2008 23:47:32 4,499 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bloodloss wrote:

why are people asking for invites to Newzbin? I joined a few weeks ago without being invited.
  • FooAtari 13 Jan 2008 00:28:14 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Invites are closed on Newsbin and the new site v3.newsbin

Signup (Disabled)

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience, but to open an account at Newzbin, you must now use our new so-called 'v3' site. v3 is the next Newzbin and has been in development for two years. Signups are now closed on this, the current Newzbin site, but you may be able to open an account on 'v3', the new Newzbin site (when we are accepting new members). Please see the link below.

Goes to link...

Please accept our apologies, but an invitation from a current member is required in order to register. If you have been sent an invitation, please use the link located in the email.
  • FooAtari 13 Jan 2008 07:23:23 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just been looking at the groups and have a question.

Say there is one called alt.binaries.linux

Then there is
    alt.binaries.linux.fedora
    alt.binaries.linux.suse
    alt.binaries.linux.pclos

Would alt.binaries.linux also include everything loaded to those groups above as they all under alt.binaries.linux?
  • JayeM 13 Jan 2008 07:39:13 3,386 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No, I don't think so.

I cancelled my NewsDemon account as BT weren't happy with my sudden increase in downloading activity, I need a better ISP.

I'll probably sign up again at some point though, they sent me a 10% life time discount code.
  • FooAtari 13 Jan 2008 08:44:04 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah I guess that makes sense...

Next question :)

I'm downloading just now and my speed varies alot. It's constantly moving between about 230KB/s and 425KB/s Is this normal or the sign of the server I'm on not being so good?

I went with UseNetServer, it's only a 3 day trial so I might try a few others before I stick with one. Giganews is quite expensive but seems to be the most popular. Also going to try the one I mentioned above, Powerusenet.
  • deem 13 Jan 2008 08:46:49 31,641 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I use a combination of Giganews/Newzbin and download using Unison, and always max out at around 2200KB/s.

I thought I had a 10mb line until I signed up - was a pleasant surprise to find out it's actually 20!
  • FooAtari 13 Jan 2008 10:21:06 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I just tried Power Usenets trial and am downloading the same file at a constant 600+ KB/s. Much better :)

/cancels Usenetserver account.
  • crashVoodoo 13 Jan 2008 19:04:32 3,821 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    FooAtari wrote:
    I just tried Power Usenets trial and am downloading the same file at a constant 600+ KB/s. Much better :)

/cancels Usenetserver account.
    don't go with usenetserver (as you've found out and i posted a page or so back about). they've gone ass all of a sudden.

i went with newsdemon after a recommendation. haven't looked back since. they have 2 servers (euro & us).

my downloads tool along at 870 or thereabouts from the euro with the us server trailing at about 700. this in mind the us one is 2ndary in priority if for some reason what i'm after isn't on the euro one anymore. euro retention is hit and miss over 103 days but the us one seems to about 115 which has come in handy with me stargates in hidef :)

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• FooAtari 13 Jan 2008 19:20:37 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Must have missed your post about Usenetserver. How long have you been with NewsDemon for? They look good and even better that they are UK based. Shame they don't have a trial offer...

Anyone else use them?
  • crashVoodoo 13 Jan 2008 19:29:53 3,821 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    FooAtari wrote:
    Must have missed your post about Usenetserver. How long have you been with NewsDemon for? They look good and even better that they are UK based. Shame they don't have a trial offer...

Anyone else use them?
    2 months.

support faq
    the support faq indicates you can get a test account. might be free for a few gig or so. worth a punt surely ?

• FooAtari 13 Jan 2008 19:36:55 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    crashVoodoo wrote:
    FooAtari wrote:

Anyone else use them?
    2 months.

support faq
    the support faq indicates you can get a test account. might be free for a few gig or so. worth a punt surely ?

Well at 12 quid to get SSL its a fiver more than I pay for Power Usenet, which has been good so far. I'll leave it until wed when I have a few days off work, probably give it a go then.
  • crashVoodoo 13 Jan 2008 19:46:29 3,821 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ahh right, i don't use SSL :)

• RedboX 13 Jan 2008 19:49:18 2,431 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone want to expand on why SSL would be a good thing?
  • crashVoodoo 13 Jan 2008 20:06:14 3,821 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RedboX wrote:
    Anyone want to expand on why SSL would be a good thing?
    guessing it keeps what you're downloading secret as its encrypted.

• FooAtari 13 Jan 2008 20:06:57 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thats a good question I was about to ask. The reader im using just now doesn't support it. It encrypts your connection so others cant read it. Is it of real benefit?

I just realized I can't post to newsgroups with Power Usenet. Can you post with NewsDaemon crashvoodoo? Would be a little annoying have to use two accounts just so I can text.
  • crashVoodoo 13 Jan 2008 20:11:14 3,821 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    FooAtari wrote:
    Thats a good question I was about to ask. The reader im using just now doesn't support it. It encrypts your connection so others cant read it. Is it of real benefit?

I just realized I can't post to newsgroups with Power Usenet. Can you post with NewsDaemon crashvoodoo? Would be a little annoying have to use two accounts just so I can text.
    you can, but you have to request it.

not sure how easy the process is, i'll let you know. i've just requested it :)

• FooAtari 13 Jan 2008 20:13:27 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah just read it.

I only pay about 7 quid (10 euros) a year for my current server as I found my ISP's to be a bit crap. I guess it's not a huge deal to use two.

Let me know how it goes.

I see can use debit cards on Newsdaemon too. It's get more tempting
  • FooAtari 13 Jan 2008 21:01:07 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It appears encryption may be out. Looks like ISP is throttling port 563
  • RedboX 15 Jan 2008 11:08:19 2,431 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    SSL is pointless, if I was going to be investigating what you where upto, sure I might not be able to decode the packet content, but I'd still be able to see where they had come from, ie your Usenet provider, and how much data was going back and forth.

If anyone was to be investigating you, its much simpler to fire off a warrant to you usnet provider to supply them with logs of your acitivity, or otherwise turn up at your house and take your computer.

• Dougs 15 Jan 2008 15:24:47 64,887 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone got a newzbin invite? Thought I had an account from way back but must've been disabled.

Edit: Isn't the point about Usenet that "they" can't tell what it is you're downloading?
  • FooAtari 15 Jan 2008 15:36:35 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't know that they cant tell.

I think they are more concerned with P2P at least for the moment. And you are not uploading which is what people tend to get busted for, not so much downloading.

But you can also use SSL which encrypts your connection and obviously helps.

PM me your email address and I'll send you an invite. But I don't fancy accessing the site at work so I'll do it when I get home :)
  • Deleted user 22 January 2008 06:53:47
    Has anyone got invites to Newzbin? Can I have one please? PM me.
  • deem 22 Jan 2008 08:35:47 31,641 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Surely you just buy credit no?

That's what I did.

It's like 25 pence a week or something.
  • Deleted user 23 January 2008 03:59:17
    It says I need an invite in order to register. :-(
  • deem 23 Jan 2008 07:38:57 31,641 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This is where you are going, yes?
  • FooAtari 23 Jan 2008 10:46:16 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Registrations are closed, need and invite from a current member. I'd send him one but I don't have any yet.
  • Deleted user 23 January 2008 23:36:17
    yeah i have tried the v3 site.
  • Page

of 19 First / Last