Serenity Opening weekend profits in the US

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Gruff 3 Oct 2005 08:56:55 2,773 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not Super Fantastic enough to get a new series

But hopefully word of mouth will take over.

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• Retroid Moderator 3 Oct 2005 09:02:25 44,501 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    $10 million isn't bad!

I didn't think this film would be anywhere near as successful as some people seemed to think it would be, but that seems like a perfectly respectable opening weekend considering it has no huge stars or a well-known brand.
  • Gruff 3 Oct 2005 09:06:57 2,773 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well, its because of the series its derived from Slurpy, and the fact that if its good there may be a new series i guess.

Actually, thinking about it, the yanks did'nt watch the series and it got dropped, so why would they comprehend the film?

The series is called Firefly 15 episodes. Buy the DVD, it will make you happy :-)

Edited by Gruff at 09:12:28 03-10-2005

Edited by Gruff at 09:12:44 03-10-2005

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• Retroid Moderator 3 Oct 2005 09:12:03 44,501 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Firefly = Best sci-fi in years

Fox = Bunch of twats who axed it because it wasn't quite getting the ratings
  • bivith 3 Oct 2005 09:15:55 2,466 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It was a poor weekend in general for the box office, but Serenity actual did well to get 2nd place, as Flight Plan, Corpse Bride, and Jessica Alba in a bikini, all had about 50% more screens showing them than Serenity.

Serenity had the second highest per screen average, after A History Of Violence. They're counting on word of mouth, and the fantastic reviews it's got to bring more people in next weekend.

It's got to make about $80 million worldwide to get a sequel, and i reckon that's doable.

It's one of the best reviewed films of the year, and probably the best reviewed sci-fi movie for years.

It's not over yet.
  • Huntcjna 3 Oct 2005 09:24:06 13,870 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Slurpy J wrote:
    Ooo ok.. I'll go hunt out the box set, cheers chaps

Ł19.99 at HMV at the moment unless you can find it cheaper online
  • Derblington 3 Oct 2005 09:25:50 20,972 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Huntcjna wrote:
    Ł19.99 at HMV at the moment unless you can find it cheaper online

Be warned, prices have risen online recently :(
  • bloke 3 Oct 2005 09:43:38 1,489 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Slurpy J wrote:
    Ooo ok.. I'll go hunt out the box set, cheers chaps

Do - it's fantastic.............
  • Orange 3 Oct 2005 09:48:36 4,564 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't think it will make big money at the box office, enough to break even when you include the film budget and marketing costs. The real profit will come from its dvd sales, I expect it to make a killing there.
  • RedboX 3 Oct 2005 10:08:59 2,431 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    bivith wrote:Jessica Alba in a bikini

Is that a new Arthouse movie?
  • eviltobz  3 Oct 2005 14:51:11 2,609 posts
    Registered 10 years ago
    Orange wrote:
    I don't think it will make big money at the box office, enough to break even when you include the film budget and marketing costs. The real profit will come from its dvd sales, I expect it to make a killing there.
    well, the film's budget was only around 40 million anyway, so it's already taken a quarter of that. i agree it probably won't make BIG money, but it doesn't have to.

and there weren't many free previews either. there were loads of previews, but most of them were paid for. i've not seen anything that states if these figures we are seeing include those takings or not.
  • RedWarrior 3 Oct 2005 15:31:38 57 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't think there will ever be a new series, regardless of the box office - I seem to recall reading that the deal that made the (potential!) trilogy viable precluded it ever being on TV again. I can't dig up a source other than my rather flaky memory, however, so chew on this with a pinch of salt.
  • prettyboytim 3 Oct 2005 15:53:38 907 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I watched en episode or two when Firefly first came out and wasn't impressed. Then I heard people saying some great things about it recently so ended up watching about five hours of it yesterday on the Sci-Fi channel.

Yeah, not bad.

I'm still not sure I'd describe it as the best sci-fi in ages though.

Serenity looks pretty neat though.
  • Derblington 3 Oct 2005 15:58:05 20,972 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    RedWarrior wrote:
    I don't think there will ever be a new series, regardless of the box office - I seem to recall reading that the deal that made the (potential!) trilogy viable precluded it ever being on TV again. I can't dig up a source other than my rather flaky memory, however, so chew on this with a pinch of salt.
    Not sure that's true.

I read an interview with him at the weekend ad it talked about potential sequels and he basically said that he has the story and doesn't mind how it comes. In tv a lot of it is dictated by other people and he enjoys feature films because he has more freedom but if either is available he'll definitely consider them. I thought it was at UGO.com but I can't find it now :(

Edited by Derblington at 16:02:32 03-10-2005
  • eviltobz  3 Oct 2005 16:52:18 2,609 posts
    Registered 10 years ago
    there's been repeated mention of sequels in full on film form, but the series is unlikely because fox own the rights to the series and universal bought the rights to produce films only. so universal would need to buy more rights from fox to put it to tv, and their contract in getting film rights precludes fox from creating more tv in the series. so there aint gonna be more tv without more negotiations, but there are indications that the film making $80million ish would get us the sequels.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next