Cave Story

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • Teeth 16 Sep 2005 17:54:45 7,987 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's been mentioned a couple of times in the past, but I think it's worthy of its own topic.

Doukutsu Monogatari is a freeware platform game for PC with some great gameplay mechanics and an engaging storyline. The game's been around a while now so maybe you've played it, but if not, give it a go as it's truly excellent. Lots of little secrets too.

If you've some spare time this weekend and like shooty platform type games, I urge you to download it.

Overview, with screenshots, English patch and link to Pixel's page.

Direct download from Pixel's site

Get the game and apply the English patch.

Tribute site

Edited by Teeth at 19:13:06 18-03-2007
  • SirScratchalot 16 Sep 2005 21:05:37 7,877 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This was the most worthwhile thing Iīve played in quite some time.... made me ignore even the girlfriend for a couple of hours...
    Beautiful in a non polygon way....
    Thanks for the pointer....
    Now to finish it!
  • Teeth 17 Sep 2005 11:18:37 7,987 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm glad you enjoyed it Sir. Do post back with your thoughts when it's over. I was put in mind of the game the other day and when I found it hadn't had its own topic here I figured I'd spread the word.

Nobody else for some platform love? It's got guns, mutant rabbits, and robots!
  • SirScratchalot 17 Sep 2005 14:42:05 7,877 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A bit stuck in the "final cave" atm, didnīt really have the time to "ninja" it yet.... Truly ace game!
    Makes me wonder if this is what devs do when they get tired of coding the next Fifa all day.... Itīs just so good that itīs hard to imagine the usual rag-tag modder group put together something so astheticly and gameplayingly(so, I make up words sometimes. Sue me.) pleasing.
  • Teeth 17 Sep 2005 17:02:55 7,987 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The guy who did it is a software type person who only does game stuff in his spare time, and has never worked professionally making games. For myself, I enjoy a bit of game coding at home after working on the buggers all day but I rarely complete anything as the day job saps the game coding will from my bones :) you can imagine it I'm sure - code games all day, come home to face a monitor; it just doesn't work.

There are multiple endings to this game, too, which is nice.
  • webcider 11 Jan 2006 18:53:04 36 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is my game of 2005

It was like wow a single man made this brilliant game..

And is it just me or are this game seriously underrated i would give it a 9/10 score right now.

Because this game is like Darwinia just free a great game remembering the past and brings back the great retro.

Also i like to point out the Music player was a brilliant idea as this game have very i say very catchy tunes.

This game seriously need to be advertised more :)

To bad i did not vote this game in the Readers Vote but that is because i am playing this game stil :D
  • Teeth 12 Jan 2006 00:07:01 7,987 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If I'd thought of it, I'd have submitted a vote for this game. In the end I didn't put any votes in at all, so no big loss really.

What a game though! What. A. Game.
  • kcorb 12 Jan 2006 06:20:28 2,147 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ahh, I can't d/l it - doesn't exist!
    Looks like crap anyway.
    Teeth reminds me of piro, creepy.
  • Teeth 12 Jan 2006 08:19:25 7,987 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sadness is right. Somehow manages to be extremely melancholy all the way through. Desperately melancholy in places.
  • Teeth 12 Jan 2006 08:23:37 7,987 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kcorb wrote:
    Ahh, I can't d/l it - doesn't exist!
    Looks like crap anyway.
    Teeth reminds me of piro, creepy.

I've updated the links. Give it a try.
  • Teeth 12 Jan 2006 08:27:04 7,987 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think there's a script floating around somewhere - try gamefaqs or that tribute site if you need the translation in a text file. Probably a bit spoilerific though, playing it like that.
  • webcider 12 Jan 2006 11:14:13 36 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I am actually suprised that Eurogamer never did a coverage on this fantastic game as i see it really as something special it is no Ever Extend it is no Free Pacman when you play this game i feel you actually can say this man who made this game has thinked a lot about it there is no doll moments there is no fustrating levels before you actually choose to get the Challenge that is really cool.

A game where you get challenge as you choose your style is uniq and i never tried this ever with another game please feel in if you think i am talking BS now.

But seriously the items you equip and choose will choose your Play style which is so cool and fun at the same time.

What more to say is that this game has some pretty cute characters i actually cared about saving and knowing more about Curly.

in short words i think this is unique in it own ways :)

Firstly it is no RPG but it has multiple endings.
    Secondly you can choose a string of different things and make this game a seriously killer on the platform market that is.

As i see this i call it a great platformer with Adventure scripts which makes this so great if you look on the Platform market.

I think donating some money to the guy who made this because i enjoy it as much as some other retail games.

and is wondering if this considered of others i really like to support the free ware market....

Long posts take long time to read i hope you did not die in this process thx for reading my post.

• Deleted user 30 January 2006 19:31:41
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 30 January 2006 19:43:50
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 30 January 2006 19:43:55
    Post deleted
  • haowan 7 Dec 2006 13:48:06 7,385 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bump.

There's another game coming out from a different developer but taking more than a couple of cues from Cave Story. The game is called The Underside and looks like this. I thought that, seeing as the developer is probably sick to the back teeth of Cave Story and hearing about how much his fricking game looks like Cave Story and how he's ripping off Cave Story, I'd post it in the Cave Story thread. That and the fact that it's not out yet. I'll probably do a thread on it when that happens :)

preview by cave-story-shirking Circy

Preview is out! Getting a lot of flak for its graphics.

Edited by haowan at 19:16:41 18-03-2007
  • mouse 18 Mar 2007 13:33:08 10,310 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Totally behind the times, I just heard of / started playing Cave Story this week. It really is just stunning, and has my fanboy juices flowing all over the place (you know the ones; the ones that make you download wallpaper and soundtracks and listen to fan-made soundtrack remixes).
  • haowan 18 Mar 2007 19:10:14 7,385 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The fact this thread only has 13 replies, 8 of which are me, is why Eurogamer fails.
  • mouse 19 Mar 2007 13:19:20 10,310 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Seriously. Get the game, twats! It's free! Linkotron.
  • pauleyc 19 Mar 2007 13:37:11 4,527 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Slightly OT but thanks for the Underside preview tip, Teeth. Nice little gem.

edit: Gah, missed your recent edit...

Edited by pauleyc at 13:42:48 19-03-2007
  • GrandTheftApu 19 Mar 2007 13:38:41 6,119 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I am currently playing this too. Go me.
  • haowan 19 Mar 2007 14:00:51 7,385 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    dec 2004 IIRC
  • mouse 19 Mar 2007 14:02:45 10,310 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Doesn't mean its stopped being good. The more people babbling about it the better!

Edited by mouse at 14:03:13 19-03-2007
  • haowan 31 May 2007 11:31:39 7,385 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fan comic

http://www.f-ram.net/cavestory/e/comic-0/#pp1
  • haowan 10 Jul 2007 11:33:02 7,385 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The PSP port is already at Release Candidate 1. Apparently this is a full playthrough version, with a few scripting bugs caused by the wider screen. Given the speedy development thus far I would expect a full 1.0 release some time very soon.
  • jellyhead 10 Jul 2007 11:56:58 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    According to the sadly defunct ArseCast ( though he still does little casts ) if you like Cave Story you should also have a look at La Mulana. It's fantastic old school stylie gameplay apparently. Thought you'd like to know. :)

More La Mulana info and screenies.

Edited by jellyhead at 11:58:29 10-07-2007

This signature intentionally left blank.

• haowan 10 Jul 2007 12:10:10 7,385 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yep it's a fantastic game, but ROCK HARD. Similar story of development love, it took 5 years to complete and is an impressive homage to the MSX console, completely authentic and comes with a full colour manual, which has been lovingly translated. It's a really astonishing achievement.
  • jellyhead 10 Jul 2007 12:12:51 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thanks for not OLDing me. :D ha! I posted in that thread too! lol. I've a mind like a sieve. I've got the Premium pack for Cave Story downloading and i've got La Mulana on the way down too. I'll see if i'm any good at old-school gameplay any more.

It's not going to go well is it?

Edited by jellyhead at 12:14:11 10-07-2007

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous