Penny Arcade

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • Teeth 30 Aug 2005 20:24:16 7,987 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Does anyone follow Penny Arcade? (Is that... is that a silly question?)

Anyway, recently they were talking about making a PA CCG (Card collecting game), which I thought was an extremely cynical cash-in. I see PA as a fairly commercial web comic in the first place, and so I wasn't terribly surprised - although this didn't stop me feeling a bit disgusted.

Anyway, following on from Lutz's VG Cats thread where the conversation turned to Comic rivalry, I went off to PA to read up the last few comics and blow me down with a feather but I only find them claiming that WoW making a CCG means that the execs are in league with Satan.

Can someone show me where my hipocrisy gland is going wrong?

• Whizzo 30 Aug 2005 20:28:39 43,116 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's not that there's going to be a WoW CCG, it's the fact that there's an online effect from some of the rarest cards. Therefore people are going to spend money just to get these rare cards even if they don't then play the CCG.

I think it's a pretty terrible move to be honest, worse than SOE's EQ marketplace and that's a bad idea too.

Real world economics shouldn't have an effect on a game, it's just as bad as farming for profit.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Teeth 30 Aug 2005 20:34:08 7,987 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ah, OK, with you now.

CCGs just don't do it for me at all. As soon as someone mentions the idea of cards in any game form that aren't your regular deck of playing cards, I run a mile. Like that most recent PSO game, or Metal Gear Acid. Or any real-life CCG. The very idea that someone might buy and even play a Penny Arcade card collecting game, forking out cash for rarer cards, sickens me to my very soul. Personally I don't find it a great distance away from the World Of Warcraft CCG. Maybe I'm nuts, I dunno.
  • sunjumper 30 Aug 2005 21:03:13 3,197 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Teeth wrote:
    Ah, OK, with you now.

CCGs just don't do it for me at all. As soon as someone mentions the idea of cards in any game form that aren't your regular deck of playing cards, I run a mile. Like that most recent PSO game, or Metal Gear Acid. Or any real-life CCG. The very idea that someone might buy and even play a Penny Arcade card collecting game, forking out cash for rarer cards, sickens me to my very soul. Personally I don't find it a great distance away from the World Of Warcraft CCG. Maybe I'm nuts, I dunno.

Aren't you overreacting a bit?
    Although I do think that CCG are a somewhat questionable money sink I would not say that they are there fore the work of satan.
    Furthermore not liking Metal Gear Acid (or Ac!id even) just because it uses cards a resolution mechnism sounds a bit like a irrational dislike.
  • Freek 30 Aug 2005 21:19:03 7,687 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tycho has a strange addiction to anything involving cards. That's what they are refering to, Satanic in the sense that they have now created a game that holds power over every part of your life, it's so good/addicitive it has to be designed by Satan and will cause many people to splurge out large amounts of cash.
    He also has a comicly over the top way of posting and anything that apears in the news section is written in the same tone as the comic, so you shoulden't take it too seriously.
    It's meant as compliment not a criticizm.

And the PA CCG is a colaboration between them and Applegeeks, a smaller web comic.
    Ofcourse they want to make money,that comic is thier job, but they always seem to manage to do it in ways that please the fans and by putting out high quality stuff. Instead of just selling out.
  • ChocNut 30 Aug 2005 22:16:23 2,184 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Teeth - I was just like you about cards in videogames (final fantasy 9 especially irritated me with what I saw as pointless interruptions to 'real' gaming).

That said - MGA is quite different. It's not like regular card games (ie trying to collect every type of card or using kings and queens etc.) its more like little tabs showing you what you're various options are to deal with a given situation - its a good game.

I was forced to try it out during a PSP game drought earlier in the year.
  • Teeth 30 Aug 2005 22:28:33 7,987 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Good good. Don't get me wrong, I like PA, really. And yes I am overreacting about cards - I think it's a deep-seated fear of memory or something.
  • sunjumper 31 Aug 2005 15:10:03 3,197 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's OK, every one of us has irrational fears or dislikes.
    As long as you are still aware of the fact that you might[/I] be overreacting there is nothing to worry about...

...except the possibility of a Eurogamer Forum CCG.

'I counter your Otto's pro European argument with my BGiE Insane Accusations card!'

• MikeD 31 Aug 2005 15:11:45 10,063 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    /has the uberrare Blerk meh-card

• Treze 31 Aug 2005 15:46:40 332 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    MikeD wrote:
    /has the uberrare Blerk meh-card

That's not rare. That's the most common.
  • LaundroMat 31 Aug 2005 16:22:39 1,442 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Load_2.0 16 Oct 2006 23:30:29 19,250 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bit of Eurogamer love on Penny Arcade today, due to the PS3 article. Prehaps expect a spike in donits.
  • Khab 16 Oct 2006 23:34:40 6,576 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    /visits comments sections of PS3 article

/narrowly excapes with his life

Whoa! I tell ya, man - don't go in there! They're ANIMALS!
  • Darth_Flibble 16 Oct 2006 23:52:32 1,686 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Too late, I had to mis-fortune to read the fanboy comments and feeling the urge to nerve gas both sets of fanboys.

FFS it's just a game console.

One thing is quite funny (which they don't get) Sony fanboys are saying MS fanboys are judging the console which they have not played but Sony Zealots have decided it's the best fucking console evar but have not played yet
  • GrandpaUlrira 9 Jul 2008 11:00:38 3,753 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have to say that this 'Paint The Line' storyline is probably the first multi-part story comic they've done that I've liked.

The artwork has become fantastic.
  • w00t 9 Jul 2008 11:22:01 11,099 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Damn right.

I think I fancy Oksana Svedlovigoba :)

It's brilliantly over the top, and you can almost imagine the film being made in the 80's.

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• thefilthandthefury 9 Jul 2008 11:32:42 25,016 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't get this Paint the Line thing. What the hell is going on!?!?

EDIT: I've only just noticed that, if you scroll down, there's an opening crawl! GAH! Explains everything!
  • Spanky 9 Jul 2008 11:36:13 14,501 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    How could you fancy a woman(even if she is a cartoon) who kisses men who look like this?

Plubs

• thefilthandthefury 9 Jul 2008 11:37:51 25,016 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Spanky wrote:
    How could you fancy a woman(even if she is a cartoon) who kisses men who look like this?

Is that what they look like? Why the hell do they look nothing like their characters?
  • mouse Moderator 9 Jul 2008 11:39:21 10,312 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Quint2020 9 Jul 2008 11:46:47 3,484 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Always been more of a Ctrl+Alt+Del fan myself.
  • thefilthandthefury 9 Jul 2008 11:49:13 25,016 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bill Door wrote:
    Because they don't want to look like a goatee boy and a baldy?

Fair enough. If I looked like them I'd probably create a cartoon version of myself. Though to be honest, I look like a cartoon character anyway!

I like the web comic Three Panel Soul, though it's not just about games.
  • GrandpaUlrira 9 Jul 2008 11:49:43 3,753 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Quint2020 wrote:
    Is that the one that did the miscarriage storyline?
  • Quint2020 9 Jul 2008 11:50:52 3,484 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    GrandpaUlrira wrote:
    Quint2020 wrote:
    Is that the one that did the miscarriage storyline?

Yer that's the one, didn't see that one coming, quite sad in places tbh.
  • Mr-Brett 9 Jul 2008 11:57:11 12,787 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I used to read Ctrl+Alt+Del but found it got too up it's own arse, it became a sitcom (not a very good one) that was only vaguely about games.

Oh and what the hell is Winter-en-mas about?

Portable view - Never forget.

• thefilthandthefury 9 Jul 2008 12:01:25 25,016 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've only ever read a few strips of Penny Arcade, VG Cats, Mac Hall and Three Panel Soul.

Will have to give Ctrl+Alt+Del a go.
  • Deleted user 9 July 2008 12:04:02
    Ctrl+Alt+Del is great, if you like 4 panel comics where the characters have only one expression, the punchline is revealed in the first panel and the rest are dedicated to very wordily explaining it.
  • LeoliansBro 9 Jul 2008 12:04:22 44,146 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    xkcd > all

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Deleted user 9 July 2008 12:05:01
    PBF > xkcd > all
  • Whizzo 9 Jul 2008 12:06:39 43,116 posts
    Seen 34 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Don't, just fucking don't, it's dreadful.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous