The Official 2018 World Cup Thread :( Page 30

• Page

of 33 First / Last

• Tom_Servo 1 Jun 2011 14:34:08 17,242 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well, England and 17 other associations. Scotland threw its weight by the English FA, and it appears from a statement from the head of the German FA that they supported the motion to delay the election.
  • LionheartDJH 1 Jun 2011 14:36:29 19,359 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Good to know there are at least a few other big associations who see sense then.

She dives for cheese pasties

• Whizzo 1 Jun 2011 14:56:30 43,031 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fuck me Wales and Northern Ireland were quite happy for the Blatter coronation.

Seriously WTF?!

This space left intentionally blank.

• Tom_Servo 1 Jun 2011 14:56:32 17,242 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Wales and Northern Ireland didn't support the motion. Cheers for that.

Two seconds!
  • Whizzo 1 Jun 2011 14:58:50 43,031 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's what she said! ;-)

• Whizzo 1 Jun 2011 14:59:54 43,031 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    Fuck me Wales and Northern Ireland were quite happy for the Blatter coronation.

Seriously WTF?!
    Quoted as it's near the bottom of the page and this shouldn't get missed by anyone.

Can we kick Swansea out of the Premier League as revenge?

• oceanmotion 1 Jun 2011 15:01:43 15,641 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I hope there is some secret international investigation from police forces that will rip this horrible organisation to shreds in the years ahead with some jail terms and freezing of secret bank accounts.
  • ecureuil 1 Jun 2011 15:06:37 76,479 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They're not policed by anybody, there's no reason why they can't be corrupt if they want to be, they only answer to themselves.
  • skuzzbag 1 Jun 2011 15:09:38 5,635 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    Problem is that most countries don't seem to care that they're corrupt. Only 17 people voted to delay the presidential elections, 172 people voted to proceed as planned. That just goes to show the extent to which those within FIFA are willing to brush this under the carpet. The people within FIFA have nothing to gain by rocking the boat.

That's because in tons of other countries, it's the done thing. It's accepted practice and only here and the US do we seem to get offended by it all.

Hang on - we were perfectly happy to look the other way before we found out that our WC bid had failed. A lot of the allegations of corruption were around before we sent Beckham / William and Cameron to try for our bid.

Then we lost, the bottom lip comes out and everyone refuses to eat their supper.

Grow the fuck up springs to mind!

That's a general grow the fuck (me included) up not directed at any of the above in particular!
  • TheSaint 1 Jun 2011 15:13:33 14,198 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    skuzzbag wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    Problem is that most countries don't seem to care that they're corrupt. Only 17 people voted to delay the presidential elections, 172 people voted to proceed as planned. That just goes to show the extent to which those within FIFA are willing to brush this under the carpet. The people within FIFA have nothing to gain by rocking the boat.

That's because in tons of other countries, it's the done thing. It's accepted practice and only here and the US do we seem to get offended by it all.

Hang on - we were perfectly happy to look the other way before we found out that our WC bid had failed. A lot of the allegations of corruption were around before we sent Beckham / William and Cameron to try for our bid.

Then we lost, the bottom lip comes out and everyone refuses to eat their supper.

Grow the fuck up springs to mind!

That's a general grow the fuck (me included) up not directed at any of the above in particular!

Or on the other hand losing the bid to a country in a desert made people realise that FIFA might be influenced by more than just the games best interests.
  • Tom_Servo 1 Jun 2011 15:13:41 17,242 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    skuzzbag: That's definitely played a part, but that doesn't mean the FA's allegations are incorrect. While their motivations may be rather petulant, they're right nonetheless.
  • ecureuil 1 Jun 2011 15:14:22 76,479 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't care if our bitterness over the failed bid is the catalyst here. I hated FIFA long before that bid, and so did a great many other people. They are corrupt to the core and I'd love nothing more for them to collapse and never be seen again, and the failed England bid is rather irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. There's a bigger picture here.
  • Tom_Servo 1 Jun 2011 15:15:54 17,242 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I hated FIFA before it was cool.
  • kalel 1 Jun 2011 15:17:44 86,240 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Actually our whistle-blowing happened before we found out we hadn't won the bid, and in fact was probably a huge contributing factor to us not winning it.
  • skuzzbag 1 Jun 2011 15:19:09 5,635 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    skuzzbag: That's definitely played a part, but that doesn't mean the FA's allegations are incorrect. While their motivations may be rather petulant, they're right nonetheless.

I'm not disagreeing with that (and fuck anyone who thinks I'm going to become to thread kick-around - I think the whole thing stinks)

I'm saying that if you already know something is corrupt why not make the complaint before you attempt to get involved in the whole thing yourself. All we have managed is to look like cry-babies once again.

Pulling out of the bid stating corruption as the reason would have left us in a pretty good position right now. That was something that was thrown around previous to our attempts to get it.
  • Tom_Servo 1 Jun 2011 15:19:37 17,242 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Not the FA's though, AFAIK. It was The Times/The Sunday Times who blew the whistle and were slammed for it by the FA at the time. That contributed to England losing the bid and only then did the FA start criticising FIFA and backing the journalists.
  • skuzzbag 1 Jun 2011 15:19:37 5,635 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Actually our whistle-blowing happened before we found out we hadn't won the bid, and in fact was probably a huge contributing factor to us not winning it.

Via a paper - not officially
  • ecureuil 1 Jun 2011 15:19:54 76,479 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:

Yes, quite. It's annoying that the failed bid is giving people an easy way to brush off the complaints.
  • skuzzbag 1 Jun 2011 15:20:59 5,635 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:

+1 Anyone who has watched the WC over the years already knows the bollocks FIFA have allowed other teams/countries to get away with in the name of cheating.

can't think of any so going to retract that.. I'm thinking of when England has all those supporters outside making a row all night so they couldn't sleep but FIFA refused to step in and say anything.
  • Tom_Servo 1 Jun 2011 15:21:56 17,242 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Actually, my post was a joke about this:

ecureuil wrote:
    I hated FIFA long before that bid, and so did a great many other people.
  • LionheartDJH 1 Jun 2011 15:21:59 19,359 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:

Pro Evo is better, granted.

• kalel 1 Jun 2011 15:22:34 86,240 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    Not the FA's though, AFAIK. It was The Times/The Sunday Times who blew the whistle and were slammed for it by the FA at the time. That contributed to England losing the bid and only then did the FA start criticising FIFA and backing the journalists.

Spose.
  • Whizzo 1 Jun 2011 15:23:48 43,031 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    I even have proof my complaints aren't because we lost the bid! :-)

• skuzzbag 1 Jun 2011 15:25:14 5,635 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Tom_Servo wrote:

Spose.

*shocked*

are you unwell?

;)
  • kalel 1 Jun 2011 15:25:52 86,240 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    :)
  • Whizzo 1 Jun 2011 15:27:47 43,031 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dear God this is going to take ages...

• Tom_Servo 1 Jun 2011 15:30:38 17,242 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The FA have been wanks over this. They were quite happy to turn a blind eye to FIFA's corruption and criticise The Sunday Times and the BBC for their investigations while they thought they still had a chance of winning the World Cup, but as soon as that died on its arse despite the FA's criticism they threw their toys out the pram and started backing the journalists. It's embarrassing really, and allows the FIFA top brass to brush off perfectly valid concerns because they're part of the FA's childish behaviour.

I'm honestly not sure how much the FA really care about FIFA's organisation and transparency (considering they themselves are under investigation about transparency at the moment). It does seem to be more about getting their own back for losing the World Cup bid.

Well done to the journalists though, there's been some outstanding work done on this subject.
  • ecureuil 1 Jun 2011 15:32:03 76,479 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FA are fucking useless too. I hated them before it was cool as well.
  • Whizzo 1 Jun 2011 15:32:55 43,031 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Andrew Jennings certainly deserves a lot of respect for the work he's done, although he really should get someone to tidy up his website!

• LionheartDJH 1 Jun 2011 15:34:42 19,359 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The FA are a bit shit too, but not quite on the levels that FIFA are.

• Page

of 33 First / Last