• Page

of 13 First / Last

• Deleted user 12 May 2010 13:22:28
    /slaps thread

/runs off
  • Spanky 12 May 2010 13:23:58 14,481 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well i've went thin, not bald, doesn't feel bald or thin but it fucking looks it when i catch sight of it.

Saw an awesome toupee at liverpool street the other day, looked like a dead crow on some dudes head.

Plubs

• malteaserhead 12 May 2010 13:25:34 13,444 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    malteaserhead wrote:
    I thought the whole men worrying about hair loss thing had (like a jack charlton comb-over on a stormy day) blown over?

/pats heli-copter pad, receding hairline and grey hairs
    /is quite the catch ;)
    Update!
    Heli-pad now provides more scope for erratic pilots to land on safely.
    Receding hairline has almost finished its job.
    Greyslol, need hair for that
    /still quite the catch

My gf photographed her brother playing pool yesterday and he doesn't yet know that what he sees in the mirror is not a true reflection of the reality of his coverage. Holy-sizeable-triangle-of thinness-baldman. We haven't told him yet as he's a bit touchy about putting weight on recently. Heh.
  • Blerk Moderator 12 May 2010 13:26:19 48,225 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This thread is useless without pictures.

/is possibly receding a bit
    /doesn't give a shit

:-)
  • Craig0702 12 May 2010 13:29:28 2,178 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm only 25 and I'm getting thin around 'that' spot on my head already :(

Even more depressing though...I have Schofield hairs coming through too, I'm going silverfox way too early.
  • Zidargh 12 May 2010 13:30:13 1,674 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Craig, does this run parallel with your family?
  • oceanmotion 12 May 2010 13:30:56 15,840 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm still grasping to the hope that it's just a funny hair line when my hair gets long. I've never noticed it when I get my hair cut short at the hairdressers and he puts that mirror behind you to see how it looks. Unless my hair falling out has suddenly gone into turbo. I'm tempted to shave my head to see how bad it is.
  • kalel 12 May 2010 13:31:21 87,120 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm a bit thin around the crown and been gently receeding at the front for years, but I zero my head anyway so it doesn't matter.
  • Craig0702 12 May 2010 13:32:17 2,178 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well my Dad's four brothers are all slapheads Zidargh :( He still has hair although it's quite thin, he's 57 (today to be precise!).

Think I'm destined for early baldness. My brother who is coming up 30 has a monk patch going on although the rest of his hair seems thicker than mine. Boooo.
  • kalel 12 May 2010 13:33:57 87,120 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The bald gene runs down the mother's side btw.
  • malteaserhead 12 May 2010 13:35:26 13,444 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Isn't your mum's dad the better predictor of your hairosity? Is it something like you inherit your dad's basic look (hairlines etc) but your grandad's bald/luxuriant factor?

- dam it - Yeah wot Kalel says :)
  • Craig0702 12 May 2010 13:36:46 2,178 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    YES!

That's good news, my Grandad on my Mam's side had awesome hair. Never went bald and even still had a 70's quiff in the 90's. Dapper.

I'm gonna happily live in blissful ignorance until I wake up with a hairy pillow (that's not some sort of sexual term!).
  • Zidargh 12 May 2010 13:40:42 1,674 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ARGGHGHHHGGHHH!!!!

Balding does not run in my father's family and I seem to have inherited my father's hair type/growth/etc whereas my brother's is real thick like my mother's. Aaaand, I know I had lower testosterone during puberty.

However, my mums dad has hair loss. Not that it looks bad on him mind you. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN!?

And it needs to be said, 'slap head' is possibly the best insult/phrase of all time.
  • mingster 12 May 2010 13:44:57 3,270 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Your hair gene is usually inherited from your mothers side.
    If your mum has a brother what's his hair like?
    That will be very likely to be how yours will turn out.
    My dad and his family all had full hair, my uncle is bald guess how i turned out!
    /shaves head.
  • mcmonkeyplc 12 May 2010 13:48:26 39,447 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My a hair is thinning, what does this mean?! I also have uncles that have hair and some that dont on my mums side!

Any idea's?

/Grows hair to cover up for thinning.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Zidargh 12 May 2010 13:52:28 1,674 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Good question mingster - My uncle is approaching 50 and his hair is thinning but he is not bald. But I think he had pretty high testosterone and has a compeltely different hair style to me. Everyone called him Starsky at school apparently.

I really really hope I don't go bald lol.
  • localnotail 12 May 2010 13:53:17 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Best to check your maternal grandfather to see what you are likely to get.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Beeper85 12 May 2010 13:53:30 135 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is it not an old wives tale about running down the mothers side? Pretty sure it's genetically inherited from the paternal side.
  • RedSparrows 12 May 2010 13:54:32 22,332 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    baldness, in my case. my paternal gf has a load of hair still. bastards.

• Zidargh 12 May 2010 13:54:39 1,674 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Actually upon research, I think Beeper is right in that this was a common misconception.
  • Craig0702 12 May 2010 13:55:06 2,178 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, one of my Uncles is bald and the hair isn't showing much sign of peeking through. The other one used to have hair down to the middle of his back (bloody hippies eh? ;)) but he's now got it shorter.

Both in their 40's and completely different. I might not even have enough hair to go George Clooney/Phillip Schofield style when it gets more grey.
  • localnotail 12 May 2010 13:57:28 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Beeper85 wrote:
    Is it not an old wives tale about running down the mothers side? Pretty sure it's genetically inherited from the paternal side.

It's one of the things I remember from my genetics studies, so I think it has a basis in truth

edits: Wiki says:
    Research suggests that the gene for the androgen receptor, which is significant in determining probability for hair loss, is located on the X chromosome and so is always inherited from the mother's side. There is a 50% chance that a person shares the same X chromosome as their maternal grandfather. Because women have two X chromosomes, they will have two copies of the androgen receptor gene while men only have one. However, research has also shown that a person with a balding father also has a significantly greater chance of experiencing hair loss

So, often true, but not the end of the matter

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Zidargh 12 May 2010 14:00:15 1,674 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    http://www.bernsteinmedical.com/hair-loss/men/causes/

I trust this more than 'Wiki'.
  • malteaserhead 12 May 2010 14:02:27 13,444 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    From that link -

"Factors on the x-chromosome have been shown to influence hair loss, making the inheritance from the maternal side of the family slightly more important than the paternal one"

Ziggy baby, just face it, you're a slaphead in the making ;)
  • LockeTribal 12 May 2010 14:02:35 4,512 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:

I read that as "paternal girlfriend" O_o
  • Beeper85 12 May 2010 14:04:08 135 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    malteaserhead wrote:
    From that link -

"Factors on the x-chromosome have been shown to influence hair loss, making the inheritance from the maternal side of the family slightly more important than the paternal one"

But if your dad is bald, still a strong chance you will be, despite what your maternal side is like.
  • malteaserhead 12 May 2010 14:08:57 13,444 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Beeper85 wrote:
    malteaserhead wrote:
    From that link -

But if your dad is bald, still a strong chance you will be, despite what your maternal side is like.
    Yep but it's still true that there is a statistically significant difference (albeit rather small) between what is the better predictor of slapheadedness. Anyway, once you (not you specifically Beepers ;)) get over the initial 'omgthebaldnessomg' shock of seeing your mane wither, it's hardly worth getting upset about (imo).
  • Beeper85 12 May 2010 14:10:31 135 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Clippers ftw!!
  • Zidargh 12 May 2010 14:16:28 1,674 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Its not even that. If I can get away with doing designer-esque shaving into my 50s, I will be happy, 60+ I wont be looking to shag around lol. Or at least I will but it will require medical aid.
  • billythekid 12 May 2010 14:19:45 11,109 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LockeTribal wrote:
    RedSparrows wrote:

I read that as "paternal girlfriend" O_o

Me too, gave me a minute of confusion.
  • Page

of 13 First / Last