Football Trivia Page 3

  • Page

    of 41 First / Last

  • Kay 27 Jul 2005 13:35:30 17,966 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gretters wrote:
    Very quick one from me:

    In which year were yellow and red cards introduced?

    For a bonus point, why were they introduced?

    I know that they were based on the colors of the traffic lights...

    Guess...1921?
  • Gretters 27 Jul 2005 13:37:03 2,628 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You're a fair way out on the year, and while you're right that the traffic lights thing is the reasoning, what was the reason?
  • markh 27 Jul 2005 13:38:18 3,598 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    it was about 1980 they were introduced..
  • Kay 27 Jul 2005 13:40:18 17,966 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    At the 1970 World Cup.

    It was just a way of makinf it more clear which players were booked and which were sent off.
  • Gretters 27 Jul 2005 13:42:08 2,628 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • ssuellid 27 Jul 2005 13:42:40 19,141 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Gretters wrote:
    Very quick one from me:

    In which year were yellow and red cards introduced?

    For a bonus point, why were they introduced?

    Wierd I was reading about this the other day on another site. Why Red and Yellow is another good question.
  • Gretters 27 Jul 2005 13:43:00 2,628 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The reason is right, and you're getting closer on the year.

    It wasn't actually a WC year, but a Euro Championship...
  • Kay 27 Jul 2005 13:44:06 17,966 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gretters wrote:
    The reason is right, and you're getting closer on the year.

    It wasn't actually a WC year, but a Euro Championship...

    Then the year was 1972 :)
  • Gretters 27 Jul 2005 13:44:40 2,628 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    Gretters wrote:
    The reason is right, and you're getting closer on the year.

    It wasn't actually a WC year, but a Euro Championship...

    Then the year was 1972 :)

    Nope...
  • Kay 27 Jul 2005 13:46:51 17,966 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    1968, then.

    Edited by Kay at 13:45:46 27-07-2005
  • ssuellid 27 Jul 2005 13:51:00 19,141 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Gretters wrote:
    It wasn't actually a WC year, but a Euro Championship...

    ? Not according to the bloke who invented them.
  • Gretters 27 Jul 2005 13:51:05 2,628 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    1968, then.

    Edited by Kay at 13:45:46 27-07-2005

    Wrong way.

    Having now pretty much told the answer, I'll actually say it: 1976.

    The reason was so that there was no language barrier at International matches.

    Why red and yellow? I just always assumed it was because traditionally red = bad and yellow = slightly less bad (alerts, warning signs and so on), but I've never checked for the official line.

    Edited by Gretters at 13:51:39 27-07-2005
  • Kay 27 Jul 2005 13:53:17 17,966 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ok.

    What happened to morriss btw? He didn't tell us the answer to the second question.
  • markh 27 Jul 2005 13:53:40 3,598 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    another quick one which may be obvious to you all, but wasn't to me when i found it out:

    who came up with the idea of 3 points for a win instead of the old 2 points?
  • morriss 27 Jul 2005 13:53:52 71,286 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    lee Dixon
    Kerry Dixon
    Graeme Rix
    Graham Le Seaux
    Alan Duxbury
  • Gretters 27 Jul 2005 13:54:13 2,628 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    markh wrote:
    another quick one which may be obvious to you all, but wasn't to me when i found it out:

    who came up with the idea of 3 points for a win instead of the old 2 points?

    Jimmy Hill?

    He's always f*cking about with the game...
  • ssuellid 27 Jul 2005 13:54:38 19,141 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The red and yellow card were introduced in the 1970 world cup finals.
  • darkmorgado 27 Jul 2005 13:54:41 15,598 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Jimmy Hill?

    Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

  • markh 27 Jul 2005 13:55:37 3,598 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fozzie_bear wrote:
    Jimmy Hill?

    that's right..came as a suprise to me. was introduced to make teams go for the win more.
  • ssuellid 27 Jul 2005 13:57:02 19,141 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    From Ken Aston: -

    "So I accelerated to get the green light, and it suddenly went yellow and went red, and because of the fact that it was a little side road, I had to wait really a long time before it did go green. Got into the main drag, and immediately there were three sets of traffic lights about 50 yards apart, all green. Did the same thing, accelerated. Same thing, yellow, red. Yellow, take it easy. Red, finished. I thought, well, this is the way to overcome the language problem in international matches. And so I sat on this until 1970 and launched the red and yellow cards in the World Cup Finals in 1970 in Mexico."
  • Gretters 27 Jul 2005 13:57:44 2,628 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    markh wrote:
    Fozzie_bear wrote:
    Jimmy Hill?

    that's right..came as a suprise to me. was introduced to make teams go for the win more.

    Boo! I said that first.

    :(

    @Ssue: I think I may have got my years mixed up. I'm now thinking that it might be that they were introduced into (English) domestic football in 1976.

    Oops.
  • morriss 27 Jul 2005 14:00:07 71,286 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Furbs wrote:
    Jimmy Hill also led to the salary cap being abolished. God bless him.

    Which player currently holds the all time best goals/game ratio in English professional football?

    One hint, he's still alive.

    Dixie Dean or Sir Stanley

    /no idea if they're still alive or not
  • darkmorgado 27 Jul 2005 14:00:46 15,598 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    And another one....

    Who played cricket for england and football for scotland?

    Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

  • Kay 27 Jul 2005 14:01:55 17,966 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Take it easy, guys, too many questions!

    I think I need to go lie down...
  • markh 27 Jul 2005 14:02:28 3,598 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fozzie_bear wrote:
    And another one....

    Who played cricket for england and football for scotland?

    andy goram? i don't know why, the name just came into my head though..
  • StarchildHypocrethes 27 Jul 2005 14:07:55 26,589 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Furbs wrote:
    Which player currently holds the all time best goals/game ratio in English professional football?

    Jimmy Greaves?
  • Deleted user 27 July 2005 14:09:21
    I bet its someone who played very few games.
  • Gretters 27 Jul 2005 14:09:29 2,628 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ickley?





    (Michael Owen.)
  • morriss 27 Jul 2005 14:11:10 71,286 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    when you say goals to games, do you mean starts or are sub appearances included?
  • Kay 27 Jul 2005 14:11:40 17,966 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Why it's Gary Lineker, of course!
  • Page

    of 41 First / Last

Log in or register to reply