the Big Harry Potter Spoiler for those who wanted to know

  • Page

    of 5 First / Last

    Previous
  • Daryoon 16 Jul 2005 01:18:18 4,602 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Seriously, if you don't, why are you reading this??? GO AWAY QUICKLY!












































    Alan Rickman kills Obi-wan.

    Woah, it's like, a geek-code or something!
  • Derblington 16 Jul 2005 01:30:53 21,262 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I wonder how many people are avoiding thi because they think it's real?
  • morriss 16 Jul 2005 01:33:37 70,911 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hormoine gets it on wiv 'arry
  • Daryoon 16 Jul 2005 01:34:05 4,602 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    I wonder how many people are avoiding thi because they think it's real?

    It is :o
  • RedboX 16 Jul 2005 09:47:51 2,431 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    REAL SPOILERS, FROM THE MOUTH OF A CHILD















































    what I've gathered from a hyperactive child:

    It all happens on page 606

    Snapes turns out to be "The Half Blood Prince" of the title and kills Dumbledore.

    Also Aragog (the big spider thing from Chamber of Secrets) is killed.





    Edited by RedboX at 09:47:16 16-07-2005
  • MikeD 16 Jul 2005 09:49:54 10,063 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    hmm, interesting. A bit of a cop out that a guy who has been acting evil all along turns out to be evil. :-)
  • RedboX 16 Jul 2005 09:53:27 2,431 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There was a convoluted reason why Snapes was the half blood prince, that I could'nt understand. But coming from a child that had been up all night and worked her way though a very worrying large looking book (I have a feeling its going to be in need of a good sub editing as the last one) thats no wonder.
  • MikeD 16 Jul 2005 10:57:55 10,063 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Convoluted is no surprise. :-)

    Still, it might cause a bit of a stir. No surprise to me, though. There is a long history in stories of such figures dying. (and in the case of gandalf, resurrecting)



    Edited by MikeD at 10:57:08 16-07-2005
  • Daryoon 16 Jul 2005 13:40:26 4,602 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It told you: Alan Rickman kills Obi-wan o_O
















    Alan Rickman is Snape in the films, Dumbledore is blatently the Obi-wan figure in the story.
  • MikeD 16 Jul 2005 14:21:39 10,063 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Daryoon wrote:
    spoiler

    Ah, so you did. Nice :-)

    Edited by MikeD at 14:20:41 16-07-2005
  • RedboX 16 Jul 2005 20:14:40 2,431 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MikeD wrote:
    Convoluted is no surprise. :-)

    Having had some sleep, I've got more depth out of my informant.


    - Severus Snape is the Half-Blood Prince. He calls himself this because his mother's surname was Prince.
    - Bill Weasley is disfigured by a werewolf.
    - Tonks is in love with Lupin.
    - Harry & Ginny finally get together. But after Dumbledore dies, Harry tells Ginny they can't stay together, because Voldemort kills everyone he loves.
    - The Ron & Hermione mutual love-hate relationship is even more infuriating than usual.
    - A large chunk of the story is given over to something called a Horcrux, which is a charm that someone can put part of their soul in to prevent them from complete death.




    Edited by RedboX at 20:16:46 16-07-2005
  • Deleted user 16 July 2005 20:18:28
    Sounds like bollocks to me. :)
  • MikeD 17 Jul 2005 16:45:59 10,063 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RedboX wrote:
    - The Ron & Hermione mutual love-hate relationship is even more infuriating than usual.

    I can imagine. ron is a total idiot. She should just turn out to be a lesbian and Ron should kill himself when he discovers. (after having a wank watching her kiss another girl, naturally)
  • Monsta 17 Jul 2005 19:34:56 1,276 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RedboX wrote:
    MikeD wrote:
    Convoluted is no surprise. :-)

    Having had some sleep, I've got more depth out of my informant.


    - Severus Snape is the Half-Blood Prince. He calls himself this because his mother's surname was Prince.
    - Bill Weasley is disfigured by a werewolf.
    - Tonks is in love with Lupin.
    - Harry & Ginny finally get together. But after Dumbledore dies, Harry tells Ginny they can't stay together, because Voldemort kills everyone he loves.
    - The Ron & Hermione mutual love-hate relationship is even more infuriating than usual.
    - A large chunk of the story is given over to something called a Horcrux, which is a charm that someone can put part of their soul in to prevent them from complete death.




    Edited by RedboX at 20:16:46 16-07-2005

    Does anyone else have the feeling that Harry is the final Horcrux. It would mean harry would have to kill himself for Voldemort to ever be killed.
  • Pirotic Moderator 17 Jul 2005 20:34:19 20,646 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    what a load of rubbish. what sort of nonce reads about boy wizards anyway?

    :p and yes, i did come into a harry potter thread with only the intention of slagging it off, but that JK woman has become a billionaire writing boring old good vs evil, good beats evil and learns a valuable lesson in the progress bollocks. i've tried to like it, i read the first two books and parts of the others, watched the ultra shitto movies and alas, i still hate harry potter with burning passion.

    i suppose its good that its getting kids to read, but i really hope they pick up something better once they hit puberty such as His Dark Materials or the Lord of the Rings.
  • The-Old-Bill 17 Jul 2005 20:36:47 5,101 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    i suppose its good that its getting kids to read, but i really hope they pick up something better once they hit puberty such as His Dark Materials or the Lord of the Rings.
    Why can't they read those and the Harry Potter books?
  • Pirotic Moderator 17 Jul 2005 20:38:54 20,646 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    well, the thing with harry potter is all the 'potter-mania' is tricking people into thinking its actually a good book. thus people might not bother with real classics because everybody else is reading harry potter and they make the assumption that its the best book since the bible.
  • The-Old-Bill 17 Jul 2005 20:40:35 5,101 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    well, the thing with harry potter is all the 'potter-mania' is tricking people into thinking its actually a good book.
    I believe it is not only a good book, but a good series. How is it "tricking people"? Surely people should make a decision based on the content, and if they don't like to read about boy wizards attending school they shouldn't read it.
  • quedex 17 Jul 2005 20:42:43 3,135 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Old Bill wrote:
    Why can't they read those and the Harry Potter books?
    Because Dark Materials and LOTR are both quite heavy going books and take a very patient, intelligent teenager to get through. Harry Potter on the other hand is the kiddie version of airport fiction - light, fun and disposable, and very definitely NOT mentally challenging.

    Discalimer - I enjoyed both the HP books and Dark Materials. Got bored by LOTR.
  • Pirotic Moderator 17 Jul 2005 20:43:42 20,646 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    but its shite and i want to impose my oppinion on others, because i hate it so dearly.

    Seriously tho, if your a kid and think "i know i'll buy a book" what are you going to get? you're going to walk into a shop and have harry potter shoved in your face.

    I watched the news this morning, and they had 10 minutes on how the new potter book is selling and then a 5 minute snippet about how 100 people have been killed in iraq.

    Edited by Pirotic at 20:45:21 17-07-2005
  • The-Old-Bill 17 Jul 2005 20:47:20 5,101 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    quedex wrote:
    Because Dark Materials and LOTR are both quite heavy going books and take a very patient, intelligent teenager to get through.
    Thank you very much for the compliment quedex. I agree that they are, but I feel pirotic's being unfair in what he says.
  • Pirotic Moderator 17 Jul 2005 20:49:01 20,646 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    but we're all agreed that the movies suck right?
  • kalel 17 Jul 2005 20:49:56 86,259 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I kinda feel the same way as you Pirotic. Like you say, the books aren't all that and don't truly deserve all this attention. Things like Dark Materials, the Narnia books and most Dahl piss all over them, although I disagree with you about LOTR, imho they, like the Potter books, are hugely overated. It's also worth mentioning that they are hugely derivative of the Worst Witch books.

    Having said that, I think what really annoys me, and if you'll allow me, what I suspect is actually annoying you, is the hype and the incredible marketing that propels it into the position it is in. The first book hit at a time when there was very little new in the world of children's fiction, it struck a chord, and yes, it was superbly marketed, so I'm totally with you on that point.

    However, I don't think there is actually any harm in them not reading the 'real' classics. I read Steven King and Dean Kootz books at that age. At least I was reading, and there was plenty of time for the 'classics' later. If they weren't reading Harry Potter, they wouldn't be reading CS Lewis, they would be reading nothing.

    The person who I found myself most frustrated with is the moody Rowling woman. Would it kill her to crack a fucking smile?
  • Pirotic Moderator 17 Jul 2005 20:54:30 20,646 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Indeed, you hit the nail on the head - as for Rowling, when she said that she "cried when she wrote a characters death, but she knew it had to happen" i decided she was a stupid self-obsessed bint :D
  • The-Old-Bill 17 Jul 2005 20:56:46 5,101 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    Seriously tho, if your a kid and think "i know i'll buy a book" what are you going to get? you're going to walk into a shop and have harry potter shoved in your face.

    I watched the news this morning, and they had 10 minutes on how the new potter book is selling and then a 5 minute snippet about how 100 people have been killed in iraq.
    That's not entirely true. If a person goes into a bookshop, surely they have an idea on what they'll want to buy? If you don't want that type of book, surely you wouldn't buy it?

    As for the news thing, it's a "public interest" story. News comes out of Iraq, sadly, all the time. However, the book is a positive thing. News services are being constently criticised by some for being negative, and as such sometimes over-react in an attempt to change this. Maybe it was a bit much, yes. However, you can't blame the book itself.
  • Pirotic Moderator 17 Jul 2005 20:57:58 20,646 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Old Bill wrote:
    Pirotic wrote:
    Seriously tho, if your a kid and think "i know i'll buy a book" what are you going to get? you're going to walk into a shop and have harry potter shoved in your face.

    I watched the news this morning, and they had 10 minutes on how the new potter book is selling and then a 5 minute snippet about how 100 people have been killed in iraq.
    That's not entirely true. If a person goes into a bookshop, surely they have an idea on what they'll want to buy? If you don't want that type of book, surely you wouldn't buy it?

    As for the news thing, it's a "public interest" story. News comes out of Iraq, sadly, all the time. However, the book is a positive thing. News services are being constently criticised by some for being negative, and as such sometimes over-react in an attempt to change this. Maybe it was a bit much, yes. However, you can't blame the book itself.

    I still dont think the news should be basically selling books for her. the PR company hype it enough how it is - the news should be left to well, stuff which is important to the world.
  • quedex 17 Jul 2005 21:12:32 3,135 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Old Bill wrote:
    That's not entirely true. If a person goes into a bookshop, surely they have an idea on what they'll want to buy? If you don't want that type of book, surely you wouldn't buy it?
    Yes and no.
    If it gets parents into a bookshop, then they'll probably won't know what their kids want to read so will just buy what's popular.
    If it gets children into a bookshop, then that is a big step forward by itself. But most of them will just want to buy what all their mates are reading so they don't feel out of place at school.

    The type of young people who are widely read enough to know what they want to read are few and far between now, just as they were when I was growing up.

    But the "classics" will fall into favour again. People will start reading Dahl again in the Summer when Charlie and the Chocolate Factory film comes out, and the Narnia buzz will start hitting when the Lion Witch and Wardrobe film comes out at Christmas. It's a shame that it takes hype like a big film, or media buzz to get people to read, but that's the way it is.

    /troll mode on
    The really scary thing is in 10 years time, all these youngsters are going suddenly start declaring Harry Potter is the best book ever, in the same way as all the teenagers back in 1977 are now saying that Star Wars is the best film ever. And they're wrong as well :)
    /troll mode off


    Edited by quedex at 21:12:14 17-07-2005
  • The-Old-Bill 17 Jul 2005 21:19:15 5,101 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    quedex wrote:
    If it gets parents into a bookshop, then they'll probably won't know what their kids want to read so will just buy what's popular.
    If it gets children into a bookshop, then that is a big step forward by itself. But most of them will just want to buy what all their mates are reading so they don't feel out of place at school.
    That is indeed a good point. I must admit that my mother bought my copy. However, your point about the school I must argue with. When I was at school, what you read wasn't widely talked about. I never felt the peer preasure that you get with music, films, and T.V.
  • quedex 17 Jul 2005 21:28:14 3,135 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm happy to take your word on that - I certainly don't know enough to argue the point.

    When I went through school, there wasn't really any books that caught people's attention in the same way as Harry Potter has. I was only assuming that due to the large amount of children who are reading it and the amount of hype it has been getting, then it would be subject to the same peer pressure as everything else.
  • O-Fox 17 Jul 2005 23:13:48 597 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It would be nice for the His Dark Materials series to be even half as popular as the Harry Potter books - but getting kids to read more, even if it is just to flick through the book on the night of release to find out who died, is better than kids having no interest in literature whatsoever.
  • Page

    of 5 First / Last

    Previous
Log in or register to reply