Gotta respect Ricky Gervais... Page 12

• Page

of 12 First / Last

Next
  • Deleted user 29 November 2012 17:11:32
    America is more openly religious, but that doesn't automatically equate with being less tolerant.
  • MetalDog 29 Nov 2012 17:19:49 23,727 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I always get the impression that Ricky and his other friend are genuinely unkind people - but don't realise they are.

Karl's a lot of fun to watch, though. He seems like a nice guy - Ricky does not.

Maybe I just don't get the blokey extreme ribbing thing?

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• ronuds 29 Nov 2012 17:22:32 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You can't get away with intolerance in the US anymore anyway.

I liked it more when you could.
  • King_Edward 29 Nov 2012 17:27:21 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    I always get the impression that Ricky and his other friend are genuinely unkind people - but don't realise they are.

Karl's a lot of fun to watch, though. He seems like a nice guy - Ricky does not.

Maybe I just don't get the blokey extreme ribbing thing?
    I've always just assumed it's an act, and that IRL they're lovely to each other.
  • ronuds 29 Nov 2012 17:37:43 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think they're lovely to each other, but that Ricky is genuinely unkind.

I like the lanky, big-eyed fellow, though.
  • Lukus 29 Nov 2012 17:39:38 19,248 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's an exaggerated persona. Plus fame going to his head a bit possibly.

Paintings & Photographs

• Inertia 29 Nov 2012 17:44:03 677 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    http://robinince.wordpress.com/2011/10/21/will-someone-rid-me-of-this-turbulent-language/

This is not linked to atheism but his "mong" episode and it's by his friend Robin Ince. It gives you a good insight into Ricky Gervais's character.
  • MetalDog 29 Nov 2012 17:44:39 23,727 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ronuds wrote:

It's definitely an impression I get more from Ricky than the lanky chap. I get the same vibe from Paul Merton a lot of the time as well - the sort of laughing 'only joking' guy who throws their snowballs that little bit too hard.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Deleted user 29 November 2012 17:48:35
    MetalDog wrote:
    ronuds wrote:

It's definitely an impression I get more from Ricky than the lanky chap. I get the same vibe from Paul Merton a lot of the time as well - the sort of laughing 'only joking' guy who throws their snowballs that little bit too hard.
    While I completely agree with that, Merton repeatedly telling Kilroy to "shut the fuck up" was awesome viewing.
  • Deleted user 29 November 2012 17:52:56
    meme wrote:
    Merton repeatedly telling Kilroy to "shut the fuck up" was awesome viewing.
    Heh, yeah forgot about that :)

• localnotail 20 May 2013 15:04:34 23,093 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• M83J01P97 20 May 2013 15:09:48 6,670 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'd much rather he just did another special of The Office instead of all this YouTube 'catching up with Brent' bollocks he's got planned.
  • ecu 20 May 2013 16:02:17 77,020 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I wish he would stop responding to idiots on Twitter. He was on The Daily Show recently and came across as being a bit of an arsehole.
  • onestepfromlost 21 May 2013 01:34:02 2,083 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I knew a guy who worked backstage at a couple of his gigs, and apparently its not an act. He is a complete wank.
  • Mola_Ram 21 May 2013 02:10:16 7,682 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Inertia wrote:
    http://robinince.wordpress.com/2011/10/21/will-someone-rid-me-of-this-turbulent-language/

This is not linked to atheism but his "mong" episode and it's by his friend Robin Ince. It gives you a good insight into Ricky Gervais's character.
    I'm a bit late in reading it, but that's a great little article. Not just for the Gervais stuff (for what it's worth, he seems like a prick irl to me, yet I can separate this from judgements of his comedy), but for the observations about political correctness, free speech, offensiveness and such.
  • FWB 21 May 2013 08:14:02 44,838 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Know a few people who have worked with him and he's supposedly a twat.

The Office and Extras are good. Though he's the straight man in the latter and it's the celebs that bounce off him. His stand up is generally poor along with everything else. I get the impression that without Steve Merchant he's actually just a bit shit.

I struggle to think of a single British comedian who has been able to transfer their comedy across several shows. I love the Peep Show, but their sketch show is overall weak - tyhe odd golden stuff though. Guess the problem is that comedians spend years or decades honing their breakthrough material and then are under pressure to produce, resulting in rubbish. A bit like bands.

Most modern British comedy is tripe anyway.

Edited by FWB at 08:14:18 21-05-2013
  • King_Edward 21 May 2013 09:48:54 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @FWB

I like both "That Mitchell and Webb look" and Ricky Gervais' stand up (Animals and Politics. Not seen the others).
  • billythekid 21 May 2013 15:55:56 11,196 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    deleted

Edited by billythekid at 15:56:11 21-05-2013
  • imamazed 21 May 2013 15:57:04 5,784 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • M83J01P97 21 May 2013 15:59:48 6,670 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    FWB wrote:

The Office and Extras are good. Though he's the straight man in the latter and it's the celebs that bounce off him. His stand up is generally poor along with everything else. I get the impression that without Steve Merchant he's actually just a bit shit.
    I'm not sure Merchant adds anything to the relationship to be honest with you, his recent stand up show was deeply unfunny according to most people, and his acting roles are more embarrassing than entertaining.

Edited by M83J01P97 at 16:00:23 21-05-2013
  • AceGrace 21 May 2013 16:50:12 1,197 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Petril!

Cheese!
  • FWB 21 May 2013 17:41:21 44,838 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    M83J01P97 wrote:
    I'm not sure Merchant adds anything to the relationship to be honest with you, his recent stand up show was deeply unfunny according to most people, and his acting roles are more embarrassing than entertaining.
    So they are both shit on their own then, because I feel exactly the same way about Gervais. Not seen Mechant's solo stuff.
  • Shikasama 21 May 2013 17:44:37 6,963 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    M83J01P97 wrote:
    FWB wrote:

I saw it live and I thought he was genuinely brilliant. Different type of stand up comedy to what I was used to but it is one of those things where if you didn't like his performance on the shows or Portal 2 you weren't going to like the show.

I also love pretty much everything Gervais has done, including being honest about what he thinks and generally not giving a shit. He might be a bit of a twat but then again so are most of the people I know.
  • Page

of 12 First / Last

Next