Gotta respect Ricky Gervais... Page 11

• Page

of 12 First / Last

• thedaveeyres 23 Jan 2012 12:20:01 10,701 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I can forgive anyone anything as long as they keep making An Idiot Abroad... except perhaps genocide.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• President_Weasel 23 Jan 2012 13:19:15 8,984 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't hate An Idiot Abroad; I rather like it. Despite it being Gervais and his tall mate laugh at the round-headed one but in other countries, i.e. almost exactly the same as the podcasts, I still enjoy it. Pilkington is just basically likeable.
    I don't hate on it for being derivative, or for being different than the Office, or for whatever other reason I am supposed to be knee-jerkularly hating his stuff these days.

Life's too short though, he's just done a cut-and-shut with Extras and Curb Your Enthusiasm and then stuck a dwarf in.
  • Deleted user 23 January 2012 13:58:55
    First season of A I A was fine, funny. But no need for a second season. Especially when you had michael palin, a man of comedy legend, going to similar countries, but telling you something of wonder on another channel. Kind of got on my goat a bit the second time round, but watching a standalone episode is good for a few laughs.
  • kalel 29 Nov 2012 13:50:00 86,420 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This is great.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=V2FToyZil3I[/youtube]
  • Deleted user 29 November 2012 15:19:25
    I never got The Fast Show, or Harry Enfield or the other bloke for that matter but that was funny.
  • localnotail 29 Nov 2012 15:35:46 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Not a Gervais fan, but liked this:

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Lukus 29 Nov 2012 15:39:36 19,004 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    His 'there is no God you idiots' schtick got boring fast. Not that I disagree necessarily, but he really has a bee in his bonnet about it.

Paintings & Photographs

• monkman76 29 Nov 2012 15:40:51 3,987 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    This is great.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=V2FToyZil3I[/youtube]
    As an aside, Nigel Farage's face is far too big for his head. Odd.
  • kalel 29 Nov 2012 15:44:57 86,420 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    His 'there is no God you idiots' schtick got boring fast. Not that I disagree necessarily, but he really has a bee in his bonnet about it.
    It's ridiculous. His twitter has just become an endless series of replies to religious idiots. He has devoted his life to what I occasionally spend an afternoon on here doing when I'm bored. It really is pathetic.
  • ecureuil 29 Nov 2012 16:17:06 76,530 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Blame America. It's actually an issue in America whereas over here nobody gives a fuck if you're religious or not. It can be annoying, but he's bringing a bit of credibility to atheists across the pond and has become a bit of a cheerleader for atheist groups. There is actually violence against atheists in certain parts of the USA and it can also cause issues in school and in the military. But yes I do agree he's becoming a bit annoying with it.
  • thedaveeyres 29 Nov 2012 16:20:33 10,701 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    All this aside, An Idiot Abroad is back tomorrow. \o/

I hope the dwarf doesn't ruin it.

D****** ******r

• Zomoniac 29 Nov 2012 16:22:05 7,807 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is that any good? I watched half an episode and Gervais' fake laugh non-stop got so annoying I couldn't keep watching.
  • kalel 29 Nov 2012 16:25:12 86,420 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The dwarf will absolutely definitely ruin it.
  • ronuds 29 Nov 2012 16:25:29 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What's his major gig now? He was wearing himself a bit thin on HBO and now he seems to have completely vanished from it.

Although, sometimes the cartoon version of his radio show are on.
  • thedaveeyres 29 Nov 2012 16:26:49 10,701 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pilkington is a great comedy character. Gervais' 'character' is an annoying smug twonk who makes Karl's life miserable. Merchant is the grinning baboon egging Gervais on.

Mercifully that programme focuses almost entirely on Pilkington.

D****** ******r

• thedaveeyres 29 Nov 2012 16:27:31 10,701 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @kalel I fear you will be correct.

D****** ******r

• craigy Staff 29 Nov 2012 16:28:00 7,541 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The anti-religion stuff gets boring because he's so vitriolic with it. It's not a great character trait.
  • kalel 29 Nov 2012 16:28:21 86,420 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    What's his major gig now? He was wearing himself a bit thin on HBO and now he seems to have completely vanished from it.

He's doing a second series of Life's too Short, and a full series of that thing with Karl Pilkington playing a mental patient or whatever it was.
  • kalel 29 Nov 2012 16:30:40 86,420 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    The anti-religion stuff gets boring because he's so vitriolic with it. It's not a great character trait.
    Yeah. Plus, as an atheist myself, I just find the whole thing exhausting. It's like having someone angrily explain to you over and over why the word is round. It's like "I KNOW IT'S ROUND. OBVIOUSLY IT'S ROUND. SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT IT BEING ROUND".

Appreciate this is al linked to him arguing with stupid Americans all day, but still, just don't do that.
  • Deleted user 29 November 2012 16:32:39
    ecureuil wrote:
    It's actually an issue in America
    It's only an issue if you only get your US news from Fox and stories about the Westboro Baptist Church, or believe everything on Twitter et al is factual and representative. Both me and my wife are left-leaning atheists (her vocally, me passively) in one of the most right-leaning, religious states in the country and we receive approximately zero hassle for our views. She's even ex-Mormon, which according to mass media should mean she should be alienated from everything in the state. There may be issues like that in parts of the Deep South, but that's because the vocal population of the Deep South consists of in-denial racists.
  • ronuds 29 Nov 2012 16:32:49 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    ronuds wrote:

He's doing a second series of Life's too Short, and a full series of that thing with Karl Pilkington playing a mental patient or whatever it was.
    Wow - I thought Life's Too Short was done. It was funny for a few eps., but he seemed to be reaching for material by the end.
  • kalel 29 Nov 2012 16:33:23 86,420 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I didn't think Life's too Short was funny at all.
  • thedaveeyres 29 Nov 2012 16:36:41 10,701 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The one and only funny moment from Life's Too Short, for me, was the Liam Neeson improvisational comedy bit.

D****** ******r

• ronuds 29 Nov 2012 16:36:49 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @meme - HA! I often wonder where ecu gets this stuff from, because it's never indicative of anything I've experienced. I know plenty of atheists as well, and I don't think any of them have been beaten or harrassed because of it.

That's not to say it doesn't happen, but I'm sure you can find just about anything if you look hard enough.
  • craigy Staff 29 Nov 2012 16:42:14 7,541 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's funny how Dawkins is known as "Darwin's Rottweiler" -- Gervais could easily be known as "Dawkin's Rottweiler" for all of the fawning he does. Those two interviewing each is like being in a giant atheistic echo chamber. Still, I'll watch anything comedy-based he creates.
  • Salaman 29 Nov 2012 16:43:47 18,880 posts
    Seen 29 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is this a second series of An idtion abroad then? First was OK but they should just let Karl get out there and mingle with locals. It's what he does best in his own unique way. The fact that they got him from A to B via a mode of transport that would leave him exhausted or put him up in a hotel that was a total shithole didn't add anything to it.
    Neither did the phonecalls from Ricky and Stephen.
  • roz123 29 Nov 2012 16:45:07 7,112 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I saw Gervais at a comedy show called "Nine Lessons and Carols for Godless People" a few years ago. Loads of great comedians, a few musical acts and then Richard Dawkings preaching for 20 mins about evolution pointlessly to a load of people who clearly couldn't give a fuck.
  • Salaman 29 Nov 2012 16:45:31 18,880 posts
    Seen 29 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I didn't think Life's too Short was funny at all.
    Not even when he fell out of the car? OR fell with the box of his stuff? Or fell backwards in the restaurant tipping his chair back too far?
    It was a eurh .. short person. Falling over!

/in stitches
  • ronuds 29 Nov 2012 16:55:47 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    He was also short, which put things up high out of reach!
  • ecureuil 29 Nov 2012 17:09:40 76,530 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    @meme - HA! I often wonder where ecu gets this stuff from, because it's never indicative of anything I've experienced. I know plenty of atheists as well, and I don't think any of them have been beaten or harrassed because of it.

That's not to say it doesn't happen, but I'm sure you can find just about anything if you look hard enough.
    I'm sure I've seen news articles about it. It's it's never happened then fair enough, I'm wrong. Just disregard that line. I've spent plenty of time in the USA and met people in several states and religion in general seems to be way more prevalent. Nobody has ever given me trouble over me being an atheist either, but there's a lot more religious symbolism, you see billboards and things on TV like adverts, bumper stickers, jesus fish all over the place, etc. You are just more aware of Christianity at all times, far moreso than in England. Obviously this varies from location to location, there are some places where you'll have it really tough being an atheist. Tony Blair didn't talk about his religion until he left, he knew it would damage him. Obama is probably an atheist, and is having to lie about being a Christian. It's definitely a different climate over there, that's all I'm saying, and Gervais didn't start this stuff until he went to America.
  • Page

of 12 First / Last