cozeny wrote:
    http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lf59s3WBVg1qazkdco1_500.gif

Not forgetting this

RIP Jim Henson.
  • localnotail 17 Jan 2011 23:07:34 23,093 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    estoo wrote:
    There were just as many pishing themselves laughing as there were with stony faces. I imagine the botox was a factor in that also.

Botox and Scientology.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Deleted user 17 January 2011 23:10:01
    I watched it again. Stony faces? Maybe Alec Baldwin but he's got his hand in front of his face, and Steve Buscemi's reaction was because Gervais had just praised his show, Boardwalk Empire. The picture quality on the wide shots is too poor to see for sure if people are laughing or not but it looks to me like there are a lot of big smiles, and I didn't notice people walking out but I didn't really look for that. Depp was smiling, maybe he looked a little awkward. I could hear laughter all the way through as well.
  • Genji 17 Jan 2011 23:13:14 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Daily Mail has the scoop
  • Tom_Servo 17 Jan 2011 23:16:50 17,962 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I guess Hefner isn't amused
  • Genji 17 Jan 2011 23:22:09 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pfft, Hefner should be used to people making jokes about him by now.
  • Tom_Servo 17 Jan 2011 23:24:01 17,962 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    He's probably forgotten them though.
  • roz123 17 Jan 2011 23:27:12 7,113 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I always feel bad straight after clicking on a Daily Mail link. Then I read the bollocks and feel even worse. Ricky Gervais has just got a big fat load of press and that will do his career fine.
  • Deleted user 17 January 2011 23:28:19
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    I guess Hefner isn't amused
    It's ironic that living with 3 young girls prompted a hit TV show, but marrying one prompts humor. Age is still just a number.
    I might be a bit tired but how is this ironic?
  • Deleted user 17 January 2011 23:30:03
    It isn't. Marrying one person is fairly normal, living with 3 isn't. Bless him, the old twat.
  • RedSparrows 17 Jan 2011 23:30:58 22,738 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Heff seems to like Ayn Rand, who cares?
  • Genji 17 Jan 2011 23:37:33 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The joke about him was a bit mean, but my problem was that it was unoriginal, too easy. Yes, Hugh Hefner is old, I get it, ahaha my sides etc.
  • Deleted user 17 January 2011 23:42:14
    Yeah some of the jokes were shit, and I've definitely heard some of them before! Still funny though, and showed a lot of balls. One thing running up to celebs on the street and winding them up, or doing it in a shitty panel show, but to stand up in front of this massive prestigious club - as a foreigner who doesn't fit in at the best of time - and completely rip them like that was impressive.
  • Genji 18 Jan 2011 00:10:48 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't think he's particularly good at stand-up, but he does have guts, I suppose.
  • Deleted user 18 January 2011 00:39:56
    The problem is with his supposed 'sticking it to the ego inflated celebs' is that he is himself one, and was so ridiculously desperate to get into Hollywood just a few years ago that it's just kinda weird. He's ruffled a lot of feathers, but I guess if it does happen to backfire (the HFPA have more or less split the difference of opinion saying 'it was fun, he probably went too far, we don't condone anything he said, it was still a good show') he can get a job doing proper celebrity roasts.

Piers Moron is interviewing him tonight, that should be interesting.
  • Tom_Servo 18 Jan 2011 00:58:10 17,962 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    StarMagic wrote:
    I just read the piers Morgan Larry Hill thing.

Piers Morgan deals Ford cars in Tennessee?
  • WoodenSpoon 18 Jan 2011 01:18:51 12,285 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Maybe Gervais will rip Peirs Morgan, triple respect if he does.
  • Hunam 18 Jan 2011 01:33:08 20,674 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Apparently DeNiro was laughing all the way through. But I guess he's past the point where he pretends to be offended by things to gain favour with other actors because.. well he's DeNiro, he can do what the fuck he likes and they'll still worship him.
  • spamdangled 18 Jan 2011 03:00:23 27,355 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hunam wrote:
    Apparently DeNiro was laughing all the way through. But I guess he's past the point where he pretends to be offended by things to gain favour with other actors because.. well he's DeNiro, he can do what the fuck he likes and they'll still worship him.

One of the articles I read said that DeNiro was a total embarassment in that ceremony, off his head on booze, and got pissed off at the suggestion that Little Fockers isn't top-tier filmmaking.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Kami 18 Jan 2011 03:06:31 2,435 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They hired Ricky Gervais.

What the hell did some of them think they were going to get?! Jeez, here's a tip for the stars and HFPA - if you don't want a comedian ripping your actors precious egos to pieces, don't hire a fucking comedian (especially a BRITISH one, because even stitching him up to look acceptable in Hollywood - he's still going to bite!)! Old, new, easy or soft targets - it wasn't as if they didn't know what they were hiring to start with. So yawn, they're offended, big whoop. I'm a bit sick of it when they ask for it to start with.... you don't hire a lion to babysit your kids and then complain when the lion has eaten the kids...

That said, for those that were clearly offended - there were loads laughing with Ricky. De Niro... well, respect to the man. Why should he give a toss anymore? He could rip of a kittens head and use the blood to make a demonic ritual circle and we'd still applaud him and cheer him on and respect him. Halle Berry - well, she's got a great sense of humour anyway (see her hammy Razzie award speech as proof). And plenty of others in that room were laughing - even Johnny Depp, who was one of the targets!

But the rest... let their egos get hurt. They get paid millions of dollars - if that isn't enough for them to endure the odd cheap shot then they can always stop acting... oh right yes the millions of dollars...

Master of Tekisuto No Kabe. *bows*
    And you're reading this why?!

• spamdangled 18 Jan 2011 03:46:10 27,355 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    +1

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Deleted user 18 January 2011 06:48:24
    I thought the whole performance was great but I can't understand the "fury" given that it was, in places, an almost word-for-word repeat of last year's "controversial" presentation :-/
  • craigy Staff 18 Jan 2011 07:06:39 7,659 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Downey Jr bit confused me most. He makes a snippy comment about the event being mean spirited as if he's offended by the mean presenter, then proceeds to make jokes about himself which are almost the same as the ones he's offended by.
  • Venkman90 18 Jan 2011 09:16:29 4,430 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I am always torn with Gervais. I do like much of his output and think he is a real talent (unlike say, Corden) and he has done what many UK actors / comics cannot do and "cracked" the US (he was on Sesame Street ffs!).

But, I agree with the sentiment that he is mocking the celeb ego while in fact being one himself and that he is actually a very thin skinned insecure little man who's entire career seems to be based on telling everyone "told you I was fucking good!", which probably stems from about 20 years of failure to make it and living with a succesfull partner.
  • Load_2.0 18 Jan 2011 09:39:05 19,281 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    None of it was grossly offensive though, it's just rumours that have been around for ages and facts.

No one was accused of being a Nazi or a paedo. An old man was called out on marrying someone 50 years younger again, a shit movie was poked, some ego's were ruffled with jokes based on rumours the same "upset" crowd have been whispering in each other ears for years.
  • andywilkie35 18 Jan 2011 09:45:11 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Enjoyed the video on youtube last night, Gervais is still absolutely hilarious! Love it.

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• Kami 18 Jan 2011 13:02:42 2,435 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I dunno if he is one of the "Hollywood Celebs", Ricky Gervais is still considered a bit of an Ugly Duckling in most of those circles, despite the impossible clean-up job that dentists and surgeons have pulled on him - I mean, I'm surprised he didn't walk on stage with scaffolding around him (yes Mr Gervais, we're also taking the piss out of you!). In that regard, he was of course a wildcard choice as host. But he did this last year - and they invited him back and he was even worse this time around! As I said, you don't invite a lion to babysit and then complain when its mauled and eaten the kids!

After watching it, it amazes me Angelina Jolie looked amused and happy about it all. I suspect, in reality, she is one of the very few people in that room who completely "got it". She was being mocked - she was worth being mocked. It is those who escaped the wrath of Ricky Gervais who should have been moaning and complaining, as it is evidence that their careers may not be quite as rosy and peachy as they'd like.

As Oscar Wilde once said - the only thing worse than being talked about, is not being talked about... it was delicious to watch and it got the world talking and watching the awards ceremony. It may have been painful for the HFPA, but they will get the most benefit from it - you just can't buy publicity like this...

And I think that is exactly why they let him tear the audience apart.

Master of Tekisuto No Kabe. *bows*
    And you're reading this why?!

• Page

of 12 First / Last