• Page

of 7 First / Last

Next
  • Tomo 30 Dec 2012 18:17:51 14,718 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    Bump.

I should probably get a new mouse. My MX510 collects finger poo at an astonishing rate these days, the pads have come off and it's basically an OAP.

Any recent views on good mice? I don't want to spend more than 40 quid really. I think I'm after a decent gaming mouse, but I don't want it to look like a fucking fist-sized Transformer.
    Oh and wireless would be preferable. Is it still believed that wireless mice are rubbish for gaming? Or is that an old wives' tale?
  • WoodenSpoon 30 Dec 2012 18:27:47 12,335 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The cheaper wireless mice I've tried have been useless for games, they all felt really imprecise and unreliable.

The Logitech G700 works fine, and it doesn't look like a spaceship or have an etching of a scorpion or any of the other retarded stuff you see on 'gaming' mice. I have a feeling it's quite pricey though.
  • Tomo 30 Dec 2012 18:29:51 14,718 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hmm. 60 quid on Amazon. Still looks like it's about to take off at any minute.

Razer Orochi is also 60 notes, any experience with that?
  • WoodenSpoon 30 Dec 2012 18:33:58 12,335 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nah afraid not :(
  • THFourteen 30 Dec 2012 19:04:24 40,593 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have a Razer Orochi which I LOVE. Its not rechargeable, and it doesn't auto-switch off if that sort of thing bothers you, but the two AA batteries last for a good long time, and I use wall-rechargeable types.

Its quite small compared to most gaming mice, and only has 4 extra side buttons (which I never use anyway).

I use it with both my laptop and my gaming PC.
  • Tomo 30 Dec 2012 19:52:44 14,718 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ack. That is a glowing review. Hmm.

Tempting. Wireless and a decent gaming mouse. Would be ideal for my laptop too...

Think I'm about swayed...
  • THFourteen 30 Dec 2012 20:28:00 40,593 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There are some good reviews on amazon.co.uk actually. both for and against though
  • jagg3r 30 Dec 2012 20:50:48 1,169 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    WoodenSpoon wrote:
    The cheaper wireless mice I've tried have been useless for games, they all felt really imprecise and unreliable.

The Logitech G700 works fine, and it doesn't look like a spaceship or have an etching of a scorpion or any of the other retarded stuff you see on 'gaming' mice. I have a feeling it's quite pricey though.
    Its a great mouse, been using it for over a year now in games like Bf3 & mw3, lovely comfy fit and easy customise.very precise, quality.
  • StixxUK 30 Sep 2015 13:03:47 7,676 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've been looking at the Corsair Sabre...
  • THFourteen 30 Sep 2015 13:12:18 40,593 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I bought the Sabre in the end.

Unfortunately the only games i've played over the last month are Witcher 3 and PES2016 neither of which use the mouse!

Will find out if its any good when battlefront comes out.
  • monkehhh 30 Sep 2015 13:16:59 4,332 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Razer Deathadder - big and awesome.
  • Rivuzu 30 Sep 2015 13:25:06 13,761 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Had a R.A.T.5 for about ... 5 years now? Still working great. Comfortable as anything. Still, maybe it's time to upgrade.
  • Rusty_M 30 Sep 2015 13:31:16 6,086 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I moved from a R.A.T.7 to a G502 Proteus Core. Fantastic mouse! RAT just had buttons in the wrong place.
  • THFourteen 30 Sep 2015 13:33:45 40,593 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Acidizer wrote:
    Difference between optical and laser?
    Go optical. Although the latest laser mice are meant to be fine, with optical you know there won't be any tracking issues.

http://www.pcgamer.com/gaming-mouse-myths-busted/

Mouse myth: Optical mice are better than laser mice.
    Verdict: True, but it’s more complicated than that. Laser mice actually are optical mice, for starters.

This is quite possibly the most common argument you’ll see about gaming mice online. Optical mice are better and more accurate than laser mice. Laser mice are garbage! Alas, more and more gaming mice use laser sensors, making optical mice all the more rare and special. So the story goes. But what’s the reality?

First off, laser sensors and optical sensors are more similar than you may think.

Chris Pate: “[In a ‘laser’ mouse], it’s actually not a laser sensor. It’s an optical sensor. It just uses a laser for illumination. But people find it easier to shorthand it to optical versus laser, even though it’s really infrared or red LED [for an optical mouse] versus VCSEL (vertical-cavity surface-emitting laser) ... it’s still an LED, but it’s a laser ... All the sensors are taking multiple thousands of pictures per seconds, comparing them to each other, and determining the translation direction and distance based on those images. ”

Both optical and laser-illuminated mice use CMOS sensors to take pictures of the surface beneath them, and use those pictures to determine movement. It’s a CMOS sensor like the one in your smartphone or digital camera, though the way it works is very different (for one thing, it’s taking thousands of images per second). So if the sensor itself is the same, what makes optical “better” than laser illumination?

Morier: “The laser light has a different wavelength. It is more looking into the structure of the material than the normal LED light, which is more surface illumination. It makes [the laser] more sensitive to the roughness of the surface....The LED is more staying on the top of the surface, so it’s very reproducible. On the top of the surface you have peaks, and it’s only counting the peaks.
    “If you look at the cloth pads that are made out of a structure of fibers, the laser is so accurate it ... is showing you the nature of the structure. You don’t care about that. You just want to measure a distance ... The laser will really go down into the surface and then, especially at low speed, will behave very differently. This is the reason you have a big difference between low and high speed.”
    Laser-illuminated sensors work extremely well on hard pads, but on soft pads with more surface depth, they’re picking up too much useless information, which leads to discrepancies in how they track at different speeds. This is what most people call “acceleration,” but Morier calls it “resolution error versus speed.” (More on that in a second).

So how much difference is there between optical and laser-illuminated sensors, ultimately? According to Morier, laser-illuminated sensors have a 5-6 percent variation in tracking at different speeds. For the best optical sensors, that number is below 1 percent.

• SweetMrGibs 30 Sep 2015 13:37:08 1,044 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Mickey was pretty handy in Castle of Illusion. He gets my vote.
  • Sharz 30 Sep 2015 14:18:22 998 posts
    Seen 6 seconds ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Anyone buy the Asus stuff at EGX?

They had some stonking good deals on the Gladius and Claw and the keyboard but I have never used Asus for mice or keyboards. Would be tempted to leave my Logitech staples if the right deal came along.
  • Furtive_Pygmy 30 Sep 2015 14:21:57 4,419 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Rusty_M wrote:
    I moved from a R.A.T.7 to a G502 Proteus Core. Fantastic mouse! RAT just had buttons in the wrong place.
    Was going to post about the G502, had it around a year now. Easily the best mouse I've ever had.
  • Rusty_M 30 Sep 2015 17:25:12 6,086 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's more nuts looking in pictures than in person. I don't find it too overstated.
  • Dirtbox Best Forumite, 2015 30 Sep 2015 18:04:39 86,804 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Oh look, mowgli is still suffering from crippling social anxiety over things no one else can see.
  • convz 4 Jun 2016 17:10:39 741 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I want something that's really good value and based on Amazon reviews and price I'm considering the Sumvision Kata for £13. I also recently saw the Steelseries Rival 100 for £18 from Currys which I'd probably have already bought if it had free delivery.

Any thoughts on those two please? I'm pretty happy with my basic Microsoft mouse but it's only lasted a couple of years before the mouse wheel button has stopped working :(
  • Fake_Blood 4 Jun 2016 17:14:40 6,351 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Why pay so little for a mouse when you'll be using it every day for a couple of years to come?
  • convz 4 Jun 2016 17:19:11 741 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Good point, I definitely want something comfortable - but not too fussed on features, unless I'm missing something obvious I can't see having lots of buttons being that helpful (in the games I play at least, mostly Dota & LoL)

Edit: also because frankly I'm a bit of a cheapskate.

Would the Razer Abyssus be an improvement on these? It's £30 which is about as much as I'd like to pay I think.

Edited by convz at 17:23:29 04-06-2016
  • Pinky_Floyd 4 Jun 2016 18:07:46 12,070 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pay more and get something awesome:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00KLVN2YO/ref=pd_aw_sbs_147_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=31pu80o2rAL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL100_SR100%2C71_&refRID=Y1ZV8V2JPJDB2W6GQC56

Edited by Pinky_Floyd at 18:09:02 04-06-2016
  • christourlord 4 Jun 2016 18:22:17 2,654 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Buy the Logitch G900 if you want to spend £LOL but get the nicest mouse you've ever held in your hand.
  • THFourteen 4 Jun 2016 18:45:52 40,593 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I had a perrix mouse which was decent for very little money.

Got a much nicer corsair one now tho
  • Page

of 7 First / Last

Next

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.