2012 Olympics Page 12

• Page

of 12 First / Last

Next
  • sport 23 May 2012 11:55:13 12,064 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    Does anyone actually care about Olympic football? Totally pointless, as is the tennis.
    This, went to the final in Athens between Argentina and Paraguay - boring as fuck. Football fans have just come off the most exciting finish to a premiership season in recent memory, there's also the Euros - no offense guys, but you're better off getting tickets to some other event you don't normally see.
  • JuanKerr 23 May 2012 12:01:53 36,094 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Exactly. Plus, winning an Olympic medal should really be the pinnacle of that particular sport - in football, an Olympic medal rates WELL below the World Cup, and European Championship. In tennis, the four majors are far more important.
  • senso-ji 23 May 2012 12:17:39 5,330 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The argument for Olympic football is that, as it's an under 23 competition, the Gold medal is a pinnacle achievement for a lot of those players, especially if they don't play for European clubs.
  • THFourteen 23 May 2012 12:22:51 31,849 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    at the end of the day its not about whether i care or not, its just a day out, bit of a laugh and few beers or whatever. seeing as i live in london and am going to probably have to walk to work every day for 3 weeks, i'd quite like to go to as many things as possible!

either way didnt get tickets
  • DaM 23 May 2012 12:25:54 12,634 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Postman hand delivered tickets for football at Hampden this morning. His chirpy handover made me think he was expecting an enthusiastic reception for them.
  • sport 23 May 2012 12:29:31 12,064 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you enjoy yourself then what I say doesn't matter - I just find it a bit strange that people are bombarded with football pretty much all year round - Premiership, Championship, FA Cup, Carling Cup, Sunday social games, Europa League, Championships League, Euros and World Cup split every 2 years - then the Olympics comes along with tons of different sports and events to watch - and the first thing is "Woooooo got me football tickets lads!!!! GET IN!!!!" ;-P
  • DaM 23 May 2012 12:48:35 12,634 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I told my wife I wasn't interested in Olympic football - going to see 2 teams I have zero interest in, in a quarter-full stadium. I don't think it should be in the Olympics at all, tennis and golf should not be in it either.

I mean Egypt vs Belarus, come on! I'd rather be at work!

I am looking forward to the torch going by, it's passing the end of my road. Will go and see that. Not sure why....
  • Deleted user 23 May 2012 12:51:07
    All the bike type stuff is just down the road from me at hadleigh castle, gonna be interesting how they're planning on keeping non-ticket holders out of a field that stretches over a very big area.
  • DaM 23 May 2012 12:57:00 12,634 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    All the bike type stuff is just down the road from me at hadleigh castle, gonna be interesting how they're planning on keeping non-ticket holders out of a field that stretches over a very big area.
    I hope you will go, drink the wrong beer, wave around the wrong credit card etc.
  • Deleted user 23 May 2012 12:58:35
    Not interested in the Olympics in the slightest, but getting "in" to see that is a mission I have accepted. :D
  • DaM 11 Jun 2012 11:59:48 12,634 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Anyone seen the torch?! Went on Friday - it was excellent! Came through our leafy Glasgow suburb on Friday. A busy 4 lane road was closed over a mile. I thought it would be all fenced off, but you could just mill about, when the torch convoy came through it was like a Tour De France mountain stage. I think there was about 15000 people there, there was a great atmosphere, you just kept meeting friends and neighbours. Was there with a bunch of kids with torches and Union flags - not really in evidence at the Jubilee, but out in force for the torch.

There was a small convoy of normal buses and cars that somehow got let through the crowds while waiting for the torch, just people on their way home from work - they got huge cheers, it was very funny.

As you might imagine, it was past and gone in seconds, but a memorable experience.
  • smoothpete 12 Jun 2012 14:49:41 31,045 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Can't believe this thread hasn't been bumped yet.

Have you seen the opening ceremony plans?

Honestly, if it was April the 1st today then it would have been an amazing joke.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18392025
  • smoothpete 12 Jun 2012 14:58:03 31,045 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    "Real farmyard animals will be grazing in the "countryside", with a menagerie of 30 sheep, 12 horses, three cows, two goats, 10 chickens, 10 ducks, nine geese and three sheepdogs."
  • sport 12 Jun 2012 15:00:07 12,064 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It'll be like the Shire, with little hobbits carrying the Olympic rings to Mordor to be lit.
  • smoothpete 12 Jun 2012 15:07:09 31,045 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Should have gone with Clarkson's suggestion. Can't remember the specifics but pretty sure it involved powersliding a double decker bus round the arena, on fire.
  • Kosmoz 12 Jun 2012 15:09:28 7,512 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    Anyone seen the torch?! Went on Friday - it was excellent! Came through our leafy Glasgow suburb on Friday. A busy 4 lane road was closed over a mile. I thought it would be all fenced off, but you could just mill about, when the torch convoy came through it was like a Tour De France mountain stage. I think there was about 15000 people there, there was a great atmosphere, you just kept meeting friends and neighbours. Was there with a bunch of kids with torches and Union flags - not really in evidence at the Jubilee, but out in force for the torch.

There was a small convoy of normal buses and cars that somehow got let through the crowds while waiting for the torch, just people on their way home from work - they got huge cheers, it was very funny.

As you might imagine, it was past and gone in seconds, but a memorable experience.
    I was going to run down Woodlands Road with a lighter, but there was a lot of traffic and I didn't want to get run down.

Every girl I ever kissed I was thinking of a pro footballer.

• mrpon 12 Jun 2012 15:10:00 27,678 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    27m just for the opening ceremony, isn't that a tad excessive?

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• PatrickEwing 12 Jun 2012 15:14:26 2,088 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thought it had doubled to a mere snip at 81m?
  • gang_of_bitches 12 Jun 2012 15:15:17 4,950 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    China didn't think so. $100m!!

The only thing I hate more than Olympic Games opening ceremonies are Olympic Games closing ceremonies. Was very glad when my dad failed to spunk nearly two grand of my hard earned inheritance on going.
  • smoothpete 12 Jun 2012 15:15:55 31,045 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    Those ducks and chickens aren't cheap you know.
  • RedSparrows 12 Jun 2012 15:45:12 20,765 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm kinda glad it's idyllic English countryside rubbish. At least it doesn't give the Mailites an excuse to moan.

Oh wait...
  • SuperCoolEskimo 21 Jun 2012 00:21:31 9,542 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Got tickets to the men's football final today \o/
  • sport 21 Jun 2012 08:13:32 12,064 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    GET IN!!!!

Who are ya,
    Who are ya,
    Who are ya,
    Who are ya,
    Who are ya...
  • SuperCoolEskimo 21 Jun 2012 20:49:26 9,542 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    Does anyone actually care about Olympic football? Totally pointless, as is the tennis.
    The South Americans and Europeans take it very seriously, as seen in 2008 when Messi was desperate to go to Beijing and ended up winning a gold medal.
  • Page

of 12 First / Last

Next