Supreme Commander Page 11

• Page

of 13 First / Last

• UncleLou Moderator 19 Feb 2007 14:44:02 35,611 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Clive Dunn wrote:
    What spec is your PC at the moment Lou ?

Athlon 64 3500, 1GB, 7600 GT
  • UncleLou Moderator 19 Feb 2007 15:59:47 35,611 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Not at all - it's often enough pretty bad at medium settings in 1024*768, to be honest. In any higher resolution, I've got serious framerate problems from the beginning.

Doubt it's the state of my PC as it's kept in tip top shape. :)
  • Tomnd 19 Feb 2007 18:50:27 230 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    emailed thq on fri night, got reply today. so they will post a replacement tech tree.

thq_support@absolutequality.co.uk
  • Ryuken 19 Feb 2007 20:18:42 36 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    blizeH wrote:
    I'll also admit I'm a little stuck, I can't create powerful land units so anything I do create gets killed by the enemy bombers, and if I create anti-air fighters to try and kill the enemy bombers they get killed by the enemy's anti-air turrets. Also, the planes fly around so quickly it's almost impossible to actually select them to attack during the heat of a battle, by the time I actually manage to select one all of my units are dead, hmm.
    CTRL+A for selecting all air units, then you can easily select the fighters in the unit bar below. Fighters will easily get lured to the opponents base yes, so you have to keep them in check a bit (and keep on creating them, the only unit that isn't expendable in this game is your commander) but you also have mobile AA (especially the Cybran versions are ace) and stationary AA to cope with bombers.

There is really a "lot" to get. After three months in beta I am still discovering new functions, commands and strategies. Learning all the subtle differences between the factions, handling the intelwar and the macroing is exactly the kind of thing the genre needed (again, if you know TA). Despite some shortcomings when compared to TA(:Spring) it's ultimately the zoom that might make SupCom overcome TA, though a lot of that will depend on support too.
  • UncleLou Moderator 23 Feb 2007 18:40:41 35,611 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Patch is out, two highlights:

Minimalist UI: A much lower footprint UI has been added in game. This UI takes up much less real estate. To activate the UI you press Alt + Down/Up Arrow.

Prebuilt Units: This new skirmish option provides the user(s) and any additional AIs with 4 mass extractors, 4 power generators, and 1 land factory at the beginning of the match.
    Updated chat/console window: Several changes to the console and in-game chat window improve the visual appearance and also allow it to be moved around the screen.
  • Metalfish 23 Feb 2007 19:41:31 8,819 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This game is slowly stealing my life. Thanks for the heads up on the patch.
  • UncleLou Moderator 23 Feb 2007 19:43:21 35,611 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    New small UI is good, except I can't fid a way to display the minimap when I use it.

Although I mostly can't use it anyhow as the map kills more frames than anything else.
  • Hunam85 23 Feb 2007 20:20:00 4,114 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I cant use the mini ui due to my laptop not having a keypad for the fucking + key, stupid fucking game.

Edited by Hunam85 at 20:20:17 23-02-2007
  • UncleLou Moderator 23 Feb 2007 20:28:50 35,611 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I am not quite sure I understand you - what do you need a + key for?
  • Clive_Dunn 24 Feb 2007 18:46:45 4,780 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone up for a bit of multiplayer later ? I should be around from about 9.30ish, Xfire = Clive Dunn. Just looking for a bit of practise really.

Love the game now I've gone dual screen, you really can't play it any other way. Now for a dual core CPU, as late game stutters horribly.
  • Hunam 24 Feb 2007 18:47:57 20,674 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:

It says to activate the new mini UI you press the + key, which my macbook doesn't have.

Is there an option im missing?

Edited by Hunam at 18:48:33 24-02-2007
  • Pirotic Moderator 24 Feb 2007 18:58:54 20,647 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hunam wrote:
    UncleLou wrote:

It says to activate the new mini UI you press the + key, which my macbook doesn't have.

Is there an option im missing?

Edited by Hunam at 18:48:33 24-02-2007

alt and up isn't it :p
  • Lacero 25 Feb 2007 14:33:33 516 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hunam wrote:

But how do you add things together?
  • Moonprince 25 Feb 2007 15:13:50 313 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    "I cant use the mini ui due to my laptop not having a keypad for the fucking + key, stupid fucking game."

lol! That's awesome. I do hope you're joking ;)
  • Clive_Dunn 26 Feb 2007 12:37:11 4,780 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Finally got into this at the weekend, it really comes to life with the addition of a 2nd monitor. On just a single monitor I found the game virtually unmanageable, partly due to performance issues ( it took ages to zoom in / out ), partly because so much goes on. Having one monitor zoomed on my base / commander, and the 2nd zoomed out really brings the game to life.

I'm still finding the AI on hard virtually unbeatable though, it might take a few hours but I'm always on the defensive and it always beats me to tier 4 stuff. I think I possibly need to just have a couple of builders churning out tier 3 power plants all game.

Investing in a dual core set up this week, as the 3200 clocked at 2.5gig can't handle even 1vs1 when it gets to endgame.
  • UncleLou Moderator 26 Feb 2007 12:50:12 35,611 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pah, real men beat the hardest AI without even the minimap (it kills my framerate), let alone a second monitor! ;)

Why does it take ages for you to zoom out, though? Did you try the sensivity settings for the mousewheel? That said, it's not really an alternative. I keep losing bases because I don't use the minimap, and there's no hint when you get attacked somewhere.
  • Clive_Dunn 26 Feb 2007 13:12:08 4,780 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    To be honest I didn't try faffing with the mouse settings, I used it as an excuse to buy a new shiny 19inch toy. I was shocked at monitor prices, 4 years ago my 17inch was 350 - now a 19inch widescreen cost just over 100.

Any tips Lou ? I seem to hit tier 3 and always have resource issues crippling me for ages, do you stay for longer at 2 and build 5-10 power plants ?
  • UncleLou Moderator 26 Feb 2007 13:17:58 35,611 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I am teching pretty fast as well, but I always build quite a few tech1 and at least a couple of tech 2 power generators, as well as a few lousy tech 1 mass factories. Once I hit tech 3, I build generators and mass factories like there's no tomorrow, though.

That said, if the map is smaller, and/or you're playing against a "horde" AI, I'd recommend teching a little later and build some units first, or you might get overrun with light assault bots.

edit:

Also depends a bit on if it's a water map - this will slow things down a bit. And build enough engineers! I always build a batch of at least 5-10 as the first thing once I reach a new tech.

Also, don't forget to send a few engineers on a patrol route so they will automatically harvest trees, wrecks and rocks to help you with your resources.

Edited by UncleLou at 13:22:03 26-02-2007
  • James-Caldari 5 Mar 2007 13:20:29 2,103 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just bought Supreme Commander over the weekend. Pretty happy with it so far, however, the graphics are doing my head in. Usually I spend around 5 minutes optimising any new game's graphics for my PC, but last night I spent around half-an-hour. Does anyone else use two monitors to play the game and if so, do you know what impact it can have on performance (generally speaking, of course)? Essentially, if I only use one monitor will I see an improvement in speed?

Right now, I have pretty much everything on medium settings, which works fine when there are around 20 units on screen. However, once I come across the enemy, things get jerky.
  • UncleLou Moderator 5 Mar 2007 13:34:23 35,611 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Not sure if this is much help at all, but even if I only use the minimap (in the lower right corner) on the single monitor I have, my framerate is easily cut in half. I imagine a second monitor will be much worse.

Of course you could just save a game with lots of units and try it with one monitor. ;)
  • Pirotic Moderator 5 Mar 2007 13:37:02 20,647 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Supreme Commander was coded by a GSCE C++ class (I assume) in that it's graphics engine is so fucking horrible even people with two 8800GT's are getting 20-25fps on it. The star pupil obviously came up with a nifty idea of having the second monitor always set to the lower graphic settings, so it shouldn't have too much of a performance hit.

I love the game, but I just cannot get my head around how badly put together it is, for example, setting shadows to high looks exactly the same as medium. the maps are created out of heightmaps I presume, and then all the colision detection and missile projection is calculated against that heightmap, why is probably why the CPU usage is crazy high, and last but not least, that GPGnet just doesn't bloody work, I've had the game for 2 weeks now almost and have not been able to play a single online game on Vista, despite it saying 'Vista ready' all over the box.

Last GPG title I ever buy, even if Chris Taylor is the lead designer.

Edited by Pirotic at 13:39:04 05-03-2007
  • myk 5 Mar 2007 13:53:38 555 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If people with two 8800GT's are getting 20-25fps, then their pc's are broke. Though to be honest IMO it's more likely that there is a problem with nVidia drivers as all the people complaining seem to have 7xxx or 8800 series cards (and are usually running Vista).
  • WoodenSpoon 5 Mar 2007 14:06:43 12,285 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I have an 8800GTS and play with everything maxed out, 2x AA & AF, V-sync is the only thing I have off, that seemed to give quite a performance boost. One monitor though. Also the highest detail shadows definitely look better imo.
  • Nuttah 5 Mar 2007 14:09:43 1,840 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    Supreme Commander was coded by a GSCE C++ class (I assume) in that it's graphics engine is so fucking horrible even people with two 8800GT's are getting 20-25fps on it. The star pupil obviously came up with a nifty idea of having the second monitor always set to the lower graphic settings, so it shouldn't have too much of a performance hit.

considering my one XT1900 plays this on dual screens @ 1280 by 1024 at full just fine, I'd say that is just you. The only real slowdown I've found is when a) I turn on "attack zones" or b) forget that each save is anything between 40 and 100 meg each and run out of space on C.

• Pirotic Moderator 5 Mar 2007 14:12:00 20,647 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Must be a vista thing then, but the game does have it's problems. the number of posts in the 'support' forum is over half that of the 'general' forum.
  • UncleLou Moderator 5 Mar 2007 14:12:20 35,611 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yes, it's perfectly playable on my 7600 GT on "medium". Like I said, only the minimap slows things down.

I've mentioned it before in this thread though, occasionally I have bad framerates right from the beginning, independently from map size, number of AI players, etc. Seems like there's a bug or something which maybe affects some systems all of the time.
  • DodgyPast 5 Mar 2007 15:04:37 8,479 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    myk wrote:
    If people with two 8800GT's are getting 20-25fps, then their pc's are broke. Though to be honest IMO it's more likely that there is a problem with nVidia drivers as all the people complaining seem to have 7xxx or 8800 series cards (and are usually running Vista).
    Seriously the nvidia drivers for Vista are broken as fuck at the moment.

ATi cards do pretty well.... but if your on Vista and have a Nvidia card then you should still be gaming on XP... even if supposedly Nvidia have the only DX10 card on sale.

Anyway this also misses the CPU side which is what really limits the game.

It's dual core etc. ready so a hefty CPU is probably more what it's about before you worry about the graphics card.

You should see it on my old fashioned P4 3.06GHz CPU.

/Quick Edit:
    Guess for you Piro it's the drivers... just remembered `what machine you use

Edited by DodgyPast at 15:05:46 05-03-2007
  • Page

of 13 First / Last