Facial Shaving

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous
  • sephy 13 Jun 2005 23:01:12 4,036 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm curious to know what other people use when shaving.

Personally, I use Mach3 blades, and methol shaving gel. Gelis much better then shaving foam because a)you can see wtf you are doing, and b) does a better job of lubricating. Since switching to gel I cut myself far less, and mostly get away with being cut free.

The problem is that I find I usually end up with the same areas that just don't shave cleanly. Mostly on my neck rather then my face. it doesn't help that i'm extremely cautious around the adams apple, and always end up with a small area that I can only trim right down rather then remove completely.

it also doesn't help that i tend to not shave until it has grown noticably, and I look like a freak, especially as it goes ginger at a certain length >.< It would be okay if it didn't go ginger (I have brown hair) and it growed at the same level throughout my face... (jaw, chin, but not the rest)

So what do other people use, and does any one have any helpful suggestions?

Edited by sephy at 23:02:05 13-06-2005
  • BravoGolf Moderator 13 Jun 2005 23:04:39 12,740 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I use one of those electric shavers, Philips if you must know, and it's fantastic :-D
  • armyourfists 13 Jun 2005 23:04:43 917 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm all man. I've got a beard.

Regular trimming is all I need to do.
  • MikeD 13 Jun 2005 23:05:08 10,063 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    sephy wrote:
    it also doesn't help that i tend to not shave until it has grown noticably, and I look like a freak, especially as it goes ginger at a certain length >.< It would be okay if it didn't go ginger (I have brown hair) and it growed at the same level throughout my face... (jaw, chin, but not the rest)

hehe, I do the same. As a result my beard is still nice and soft, whereas other people's facial hair often feels like sandpaper.

Anywho, change razors all teh time, throwaways. Currently on wilkinson something, pretty good. (not oen with bars in front of the blades. those sucked)
  • cubbymoore 13 Jun 2005 23:05:57 36,468 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Facial shaving. Like there's any other sort of shaving, hahahaha.

...you what!?
  • kentmonkey 13 Jun 2005 23:07:24 20,448 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    As I've admitted before on this forum, I'm one hairy bastard, & I always had trouble shaving as I can shave at 8am & have lots of stubble again at lunchtime.

I've recently bought the battery powered Mac 3 thing (it's green), & it's been a lot better at shaving me. Cos I have to shave so regularly (or quite frequently, leave it a few days & look like a hillbilly) I can often get really bad shavers rash but since using this, with the Simple shaving Gel, I've been much better.

As my female colleague at work said to me on Friday:
    "Wow you look really young when you've shaved properly" (cheeky cow, I'm only 28 next week)
    to which I replied
    "Thanks, so do you".

I'd recommend that combination.

Incidentally how often do you change the blades? I've got a mate that uses them once & throws them, I could never afford that!!
  • mouse Moderator 13 Jun 2005 23:09:31 10,312 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Blegh, I gave up shaving when I was 19 (now 25). Now I just trim my lovely fuzz back every few weeks. I have tried a close shave a few times since then, and it was such indescribably torture. Never again. Til the inevitable next time, that is.
  • sephy 13 Jun 2005 23:11:20 4,036 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:

Incidentally how often do you change the blades? I've got a mate that uses them once & throws them, I could never afford that!!
    At £4 a pack, fuck off!

I use them a few times. As long as i can hack off clumps of "fully grown" hair at once its useable. If it's clogged, or well used then I use a fresh blade to "clean up".

I dread to think what people think when I have left my hair for a while and not shaved. I look awful, and really should keep better care. I'm not vain (im no looker), but the difference is quite surprising after a hair cut and a shave. i used to leave my hair 2-3 months, which is bad as it needs cutting after 2-4 weeks. This time round it was 3 weeks or so. and it looked much better for it
  • kentmonkey 13 Jun 2005 23:12:52 20,448 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    £4 a pack!!!!! I pay about £8 from Sainsbury's.

Must admit, I have no idea how often I change mine as I have the same philosophy as Sephy, probably no more than once a month though!! ;o)
  • sephy 13 Jun 2005 23:14:21 4,036 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    £4 was for 4, (rounding up) £8 for 8 iirc in Asda

Edited by sephy at 23:14:29 13-06-2005
  • morriss 13 Jun 2005 23:16:44 70,911 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I use mach-3, but I want that Philips electical shaver with the Nivea Cream attatchment. It's about £120 here in Denmark, a little bit steep.
  • sephy 13 Jun 2005 23:17:42 4,036 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think my dad has that and paid £100. I haven't asked him if it is any good, but it's a little extreme imo.
  • kentmonkey 13 Jun 2005 23:18:29 20,448 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ah, that'd be it!

He's a bit of a ponce the other guy, he's about 10 years older than me & I pointed out that he looked like Simon Le Bon. Strangely he took that as a compliment which certainly wasn't how it was intended! ;o)
  • kentmonkey 13 Jun 2005 23:20:35 20,448 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    I use mach-3, but I want that Philips electical shaver with the Nivea Cream attatchment. It's about £120 here in Denmark, a little bit steep.

I had one a couple of years back when they did their "30 day satisfaction guarantee" deal. It got returned quickly.

Problem was that the ointment soon clogged up the rotor blades, & also the cream didn't stay lubricant (oo-er) for very long, meaning that all you got was a sheet of metal rubbing against your skin, causing the hair to flatten & your face to turn red.

It was also rubbish for anything other than really short facial hair, otherwise the ointment just clumped all the hairs together.

They might have improved it over the two years I had one but it was the worst razor I'd ever had TBH.
  • quedex 13 Jun 2005 23:24:35 3,135 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Can someone explain what the point of the fancy blades are?

The cheap disposable ones are just as good, last just as long before the edges get too dull, and are vastly cheaper in the long run.

Who needs 4 blades, moisturising strip and a little vibrating battery?

I promise that after a few months practise with a bic orange disposable razor, you won't scrape 4 layers of skin off your face any more...
  • morriss 13 Jun 2005 23:26:08 70,911 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    morriss wrote:

I had one a couple of years back when they did their "30 day satisfaction guarantee" deal. It got returned quickly.

Problem was that the ointment soon clogged up the rotor blades, & also the cream didn't stay lubricant (oo-er) for very long, meaning that all you got was a sheet of metal rubbing against your skin, causing the hair to flatten & your face to turn red.

It was also rubbish for anything other than really short facial hair, otherwise the ointment just clumped all the hairs together.

They might have improved it over the two years I had one but it was the worst razor I'd ever had TBH.

Cheers for that, I'll cross it off my Christmas list right now!

I find most electric shavers only work well with stubble anyway. All the electrics' I've tried with my 6 day growth, take about 30 mins, whereas a wet-shave, 10 mins and job done-
  • Frankypanky 14 Jun 2005 00:06:28 917 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well, I can say this about my shaving habits:

there's a reason why they call me Bloodbeard...
  • souljah 14 Jun 2005 00:13:27 4,701 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If I use anything other than shaving oil and good blades, then my fave resembles something outta Doom 3. Shaving oil is the dogs donglys. They say use 3 drops...I just use half the bottle since its only a pound outta the pikey store.
  • Lutz 14 Jun 2005 00:18:11 48,854 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    quedex wrote:
    Can someone explain what the point of the fancy blades are?

The cheap disposable ones are just as good, last just as long before the edges get too dull, and are vastly cheaper in the long run.
    Hmm... not quite, but I see where you're coming from. For general day to day shaving I use cheap razors, but none of them ever last to a 2nd shave, as the blades aren't upto it. I also have a batch of Gilette Sensitve Excel stuff for when i want it really close, and they'll shave a LOT more than the cheap stuff, but they're considerably more expensive.
  • BartonFink 14 Jun 2005 03:03:48 34,853 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    As I've admitted before on this forum, I'm one hairy bastard, & I always had trouble shaving as I can shave at 8am & have lots of stubble again at lunchtime.

I've recently bought the battery powered Mac 3 thing (it's green), & it's been a lot better at shaving me. Cos I have to shave so regularly (or quite frequently, leave it a few days & look like a hillbilly) I can often get really bad shavers rash but since using this, with the Simple shaving Gel, I've been much better.

As my female colleague at work said to me on Friday:
    "Wow you look really young when you've shaved properly" (cheeky cow, I'm only 28 next week)
    to which I replied
    "Thanks, so do you".

I'd recommend that combination.

/shakes that mans hand

Shave at 7am and have stubble by about 12-1pm absolute pain in the arse. Did groomsman at one of my sisters weddings recently and was told not to shave until about 30mins before I was heading out the door.
    Leave it for a day or two and I am starting to look like an Ewok.
    On the products side:
    Mach3 Turbo
    Nivea Gel or some kind
    Nivea Aftershave Balm
    At night Emulave (Irish product I think)
    Shaving technique:
    Down the face once to get rid of all the large hairs.
    re-apply having gel
    Very carefully up the face getting at all those little bastards that grow in all sorts of directions.

Haven't had shaving rash in ages using that technique.
  • Murbal 4 Nov 2005 11:34:33 21,924 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Glad there's already a facial hair related thread or two.

I've been wet shaving with blades (currently Mach 3) since I was 18, prior to that I used electric (odd, as a stiff breeze woould've probably done the job at that time).

Anyways, I'm thinking about trying out one of these bells and whistles elctric phillishave jobies. Thing is, I don't know which one, and if I don't get on well with it, it's a major outlay wasted. Has anyone here made the transition and what are your opinions?

/strokes chin
  • Huntcjna 4 Nov 2005 11:41:02 13,871 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was a hardcore mach 3 user for 4 years but then the missus at the time bought me a phillishave with built in lotion packs thing, took me 3 weeks to get used to it but I never went back. Its just more comfortable for daily shaves and leaves no irritable skin issue so highly recommended to take the electric option imo.
  • Mr_Sleep 4 Nov 2005 11:41:29 16,850 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I get the ginger thing as well, most annoying as I quite like having a beard.

I use Aloe Vera gel from Holland and Barrat, it's not full of chemicals and is a natural thing that's good for your face (like sperm is the the ladies ;-) ) I use Mach 3 TURBOs for the shave process.

You are a factory of sadness.

• smoothpete 4 Nov 2005 11:41:45 31,342 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Murbal, I switched back to wet shaving with a Mach 3 and oil from using electric. I didn't get on with the rotary style ones like Philishave (I found they gave me shaving rash), I preferred the double foil kind like most Remington ones. To be honest it's nice and convenient, but wet shaving is always closer IMO
  • Khab 4 Nov 2005 11:41:56 6,576 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I went from an electric to a proper razor a few (gah - it's like 7 years ago now!) years back. I could never go back to an electric.

sephy wrote:
    it also doesn't help that i tend to not shave until it has grown noticably, and I look like a freak

This is why you cut yourself. Start with a trimmer or scissors and cut it down to a millimetre or less, then use the razor on that. Or just shave more often.
  • oceanmotion 4 Nov 2005 11:42:06 15,662 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mach 3 every two days. Do get stubble next day but can't be bothered shaving every morning. For lotion I actually use sun tan lotion which I find works very well. Reason being I ran out of proper stuff so looked about and found the alternative and think its actually better.

Now I need to get the nose hair under control.

Edited by WooHoo!!! at 11:50:06 04-11-2005
  • p3rks 4 Nov 2005 11:45:12 1,085 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Clippers with no guard, use *everywhere*

/looks around

what? ;)
  • Murbal 4 Nov 2005 11:46:58 21,924 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    WooHoo!!! wrote:
    Now I need to get the nose hair under control.

I just get a good grip with finger and thumb and pull. Then cry.

Temptations with electric are convenience, and when I think about how much I spend a year on blades...
  • Dougs 4 Nov 2005 11:47:11 66,709 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mach 3, and seeing as I only need to shave every 3 days or so, the blades last quite a while. Prob change them once a month, maybe longer (anything to save cash!). I can't shave more often, I cut myself to ribbons otherwise.

One thing I will say though...use King of Shaves Gel. Fan-bloody-tastic. Way better than any other gel I've used.

Edited by Dougs at 11:54:15 04-11-2005
  • HarryB 4 Nov 2005 11:47:17 6,113 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    i just use a sideburns trimmer kinda styley thing, nothing fancy cus i like some stubble, a wet shave sucks
  • Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous