Spyro Trilogy Remake

  • Page

    of 1

    Previous Next
  • Humperfunk 13 Feb 2018 20:14:45 7,332 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yes please.

    Rumoured for September this year and being handled by the same guys who smashed the Crash remake.
  • drhcnip 13 Feb 2018 20:16:34 5,673 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    the first ting that always comes into my mind with spyro is 'thank you for rescuing me'...over and over again....;)
  • FuzzyDucky 13 Feb 2018 20:18:35 2,963 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Edit - or i didn't copy the full URL!

    Edited by FuzzyDucky at 20:27:49 13-02-2018
  • Armoured_Bear 13 Feb 2018 23:26:58 21,234 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Was this any good?
    I had a go at Jak and Dexter the other day, seemed pretty rubbish, has it not aged well?
  • Rhaegyr 13 Feb 2018 23:32:02 4,119 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I remember thinking Spyro 2 was the greatest game I'd ever played as a kid.

    Quite scared at the thought of going back to it without the rose tinted glasses.
  • Matt36 14 Feb 2018 02:40:45 2,112 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    All for this. Enjoyed Spyro more than Crash back in the day.

    Gex & Croc next?
  • drhcnip 14 Feb 2018 06:24:25 5,673 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Matt36

    Nah, pandemonium 1&2...;)
  • DaM 14 Feb 2018 06:36:36 16,961 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Was this any good?
    I had a go at Jak and Dexter the other day, seemed pretty rubbish, has it not aged well?
    No, unless you were 6 at the time they came out. They were poor at the time,
  • minky-kong 14 Feb 2018 07:57:08 13,369 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Was this any good?
    I had a go at Jak and Dexter the other day, seemed pretty rubbish, has it not aged well?
    No, unless you were 6 at the time they came out. They were poor at the time,
    Utter bollocks.

    Played the original trilogy for the first time about 3 years ago and they hold up very well, particularly the second one. With a fresh remaster these should be fantastic.
  • Mrsyms 14 Feb 2018 07:59:40 261 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Spyro has always been rubbish, Croc was better than Crash and Spyro
  • FilthyAnimal 14 Feb 2018 08:10:33 282 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Go on then.

    Oh, fuck it. Who am I kidding. I'll be all over this like Kevin James on a pile of pancakes.
  • FilthyAnimal 14 Feb 2018 08:13:34 282 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    @Mrsyms What, you mean Croc, aka "somebody thought tank controls would be a good idea for a platformer"?

    Granted, I liked the first game for its cutesy aesthetic and wonderful soundtrack (it also holds up pretty well visually today), but it's really hard to robustly argue that Croc was somehow better than Spyro or the Crash games post-Crash 1.

    Croc 2 is an all-time classic though, definitely on par with the best of the Spyro and Crash games.
  • Humperfunk 14 Feb 2018 08:14:47 7,332 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    minky-kong wrote:
    DaM wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Was this any good?
    I had a go at Jak and Dexter the other day, seemed pretty rubbish, has it not aged well?
    No, unless you were 6 at the time they came out. They were poor at the time,
    Utter bollocks.

    Played the original trilogy for the first time about 3 years ago and they hold up very well, particularly the second one. With a fresh remaster these should be fantastic.
    Absolutely this - never seen them described as poor, ever. Croc was "poor". Crash was good. These were fucking great!
  • kentmonkey 14 Feb 2018 08:28:59 22,470 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Only got to play Spyro for the first time in my mid-30s. Really enjoyed it. Aged very well. A remaster of the trilogy would be most welcome!!
  • Stranded87 14 Feb 2018 08:34:38 1,735 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh yes please. As with some others here I've always preferred this to Crash. They're still not platforming classics, but they're at least good.
  • FilthyAnimal 14 Feb 2018 08:44:41 282 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Technically, Spyro hasn't aged quite as well as Crash. Crash was designed with the PS1's hardware in mind, which was why there were various tricks employed in the level design to limit the effect of the poor draw distance (thick foliage, fog, hills), but Spyro was meant to be somewhat more ambitious, with wide open fields that you could fly over, and the aggressive LOD rendering were extremely apparent through the pop-in.

    It wasn't anywhere near as bad as many other PS1 games, but a remaster is still an opportunity to remedy this problem.
  • jimnastics 14 Feb 2018 08:47:31 1,172 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    drhcnip wrote:
    @Matt36

    Nah, pandemonium 1&2...;)
    As much as I loved them back in the day, I'm not sure they would come across well in this day and age with the pseudo 3D. Maybe as cheap mobile games! My mate looked like the jester in the box artwork, that provided some amusement, so there is that.
  • superbob85 14 Feb 2018 08:54:20 8,481 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I was just thinking it hasn't aged well as soon as I heard about a remake. Some things a left alone unless they include some new mechanics. The camera being one.
  • minky-kong 14 Feb 2018 09:07:53 13,369 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    superbob85 wrote:
    I was just thinking it hasn't aged well as soon as I heard about a remake. Some things a left alone unless they include some new mechanics. The camera being one.
    What about if all the enemies were replaced with decadent pancakes?
  • ghearoid 14 Feb 2018 09:25:23 2,865 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I enjoyed the Spyro games back in the day. I have them on PSN but when I tried to play them again on a big HD telly they looked blocky and gave me motion sickness.

    A remaster would be excellent. :)
  • DaM 14 Feb 2018 11:57:30 16,961 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Humperfunk wrote:
    minky-kong wrote:
    DaM wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Was this any good?
    I had a go at Jak and Dexter the other day, seemed pretty rubbish, has it not aged well?
    No, unless you were 6 at the time they came out. They were poor at the time,
    Utter bollocks.

    Played the original trilogy for the first time about 3 years ago and they hold up very well, particularly the second one. With a fresh remaster these should be fantastic.
    Absolutely this - never seen them described as poor, ever. Croc was "poor". Crash was good. These were fucking great!
    I found them really dull! Never really got Sonic either....
    Sony was just trying to shoehorn characters into games to get their own Mario/Sonic style character going.
  • Matt36 14 Feb 2018 23:33:35 2,112 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @drhcnip

    Ooo! I Forgot about those! Good shouts! :D
  • DangerousDave_87 15 Feb 2018 09:48:10 3,618 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I never rated the Spyro games. I found them to be rather slow and, for the most part, very easy compared to Mario 64. It's like they took the Mario 64 template, but dialled back on the platforming elements somewhat.

    I find it's one of those game series that people love if it happens to be one of the first games they've ever played. I used to work with a couple of guys who would proudly claim Spyro to be one of the all-time greats. Along with Harry Potter on the PS2. :|
  • Duffking 15 Feb 2018 10:17:01 15,237 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Spyro is basically the only classic 3d platformer series along with banjo that actually remains fun and plays well today.

    How anyone can stomach playing crash these days is beyond me.
  • Rhaegyr 15 Feb 2018 10:57:01 4,119 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Duffking wrote:
    Spyro is basically the only classic 3d platformer series along with banjo that actually remains fun and plays well today.

    How anyone can stomach playing crash these days is beyond me.
    A man after my own heart. Wasn't that keen on Tooie though, never been so fucking lost in a platformer!
  • LittleSparra 15 Feb 2018 10:58:23 7,698 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Tooie over extended imo.
  • Malek86 15 Feb 2018 13:02:54 6,721 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I played the Spyro trilogy for the first time a couple years ago, no nostalgia goggles here. I can say it's definitely aged better than most 90's 3D platformers. It controls well enough, and the levels are usually well designed. I'm not sure how anyone could say Croc was better. Literally the only reason to play Croc today is because you want to test the various graphic APIs.

    Strangely, my favorite was the first one. I wasn't a fan of all those minigames in 2, and by the time I got to 3 it was getting all a bit repetitive.

    This news has reminded me that I wanted to play Heros' Tail, too. Just ordered the Xbox version. We'll see if Eurocom delivered.

    Edited by Malek86 at 13:04:28 15-02-2018
  • Page

    of 1

    Previous Next
Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.