• challenge_hanukkah 13 Feb 2018 20:29:50 5,765 posts
    Seen 55 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's tracking at 42 Kumar's.
  • mal 13 Feb 2018 20:31:36 29,081 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    I was disgusted by the whiteface in this film.

It's 2018! Can we not find ANY white actors?
  • Skirlasvoud 13 Feb 2018 20:50:10 3,269 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/12/magazine/why-black-panther-is-a-defining-moment-for-black-america.html

tl;dr

Every damn supermovie in history has been about either white dudes in a white dude's world, or about black people in white dude movies.

Being black is incidental. Even superheroes like Blade, are still left fighting European mythological creatures.

Black Panther is the first superhero movie where blackness is not incidental. It doesn't give black people a role in a white globalist, post-colonial world. It fully proposes a setting where black, african people have been allowed to do their own thing, by themselves, in the form of Wakanda. They don't rely on white people, haven't been dominated by them in the past. It gives a black audience a power fantasy that is based entirely on an approximation of their own culture, outside of historic context, whereas the in the real world, the reach of European white people is so far reaching and dominant that it's hard to do.

Just let them have it will you?

When I write stories or come up with my own fictional universes, I always catch myself coming up with white people as the first instinct and only then nudge myself towards a diverse cast. That's because I'm white and I'm flawed. I write from my own experiences and I've been white all my life, living in a white part of Europe.

Black people have the right to do the same thing. To ask themselves: "What if black?" and have that product reach the box office.

I'm going to see it this week (although I have to say, I'm a wee bit more uncomfortable than normally going to the movies). Probably going to put up a thread then, actually discussing the movie.

Edited by Skirlasvoud at 20:56:45 13-02-2018
  • minky-kong 13 Feb 2018 21:27:37 13,369 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Black Panther, great reviews across the board except for Australia.
    "Too many fucking Abos in it, cobber! 1 kangaroo out of 5."
  • nudistpete 13 Feb 2018 21:29:33 254 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Skirlasvoud wrote:
    I'm going to see it this week (although I have to say, I'm a wee bit more uncomfortable than normally going to the movies).
    Why on earth will you feel uncomfortable going to watch a superhero movie? Unless you have a decent excuse for that (such as recently having contracted a virus that's given you explosive diarrhoea) that's seriously the dumbest thing I've read so far about this film, and I've read a lot of dumb shit about it, including the nonsense from the op.
  • Your-Mother 13 Feb 2018 21:55:47 1,055 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    nudistpete wrote:
    Skirlasvoud wrote:
    I'm going to see it this week (although I have to say, I'm a wee bit more uncomfortable than normally going to the movies).
    Why on earth will you feel uncomfortable going to watch a superhero movie?
    Because he'll be thinking "What if black?" all the way through

Edited by Your-Mother at 21:56:08 13-02-2018
  • reviewer 13 Feb 2018 21:58:52 4,860 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    He'll be wondering what all the black brothers think of the honky sitting in the cinema enjoying the negros fighting.
  • Skirlasvoud 13 Feb 2018 21:59:53 3,269 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nudistpete wrote:
    Skirlasvoud wrote:
    Why on earth will you feel uncomfortable going to watch a superhero movie? Unless you have a decent excuse for that (such as recently having contracted a virus that's given you explosive diarrhoea) that's seriously the dumbest thing I've read so far about this film, and I've read a lot of dumb shit about it, including the nonsense from the op.

If I'm perfectly honest, I'm not into superhero movies. The reason I'll make an exception for this one is BECAUSE it's been hailed as a cultural touchstone. I'm aware of the message and I WANT to see it for the message... and I'm aware I might not be exactly the target audience for it.

Motive in mind, I feel a wee bit like a cultural voyeur. :-P I want to see the nice African designs and inspirations.

Also, I'm going alone! Didn't have a group of friends with me like with the last hero movie I saw.
  • Skirlasvoud 13 Feb 2018 22:00:58 3,269 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    reviewer wrote:
    He'll be wondering what all the black brothers think of the honky sitting in the cinema enjoying the negros fighting.
    Hahaha! I'm from the Netherlands. Not Harlem. ;-)
  • Mola_Ram 13 Feb 2018 22:01:33 17,181 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    He'll be uncomfortable from all the black people in the audience, intently staring at him as he moves to his allocated seat, and continuing to stare for the duration of the movie.
  • Skirlasvoud 13 Feb 2018 22:04:37 3,269 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    He'll be uncomfortable from all the black people in the audience, intently staring at him as he moves to his allocated seat, and continuing to stare for the duration of the movie.
    I'm sure being the pastiest cracker you ever did saw won't help me either. :lol:
  • Load_2.0 13 Feb 2018 22:20:06 26,051 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    You make it sound like you're going to another planet.

Edited by Load_2.0 at 22:20:40 13-02-2018
  • elstoof 13 Feb 2018 22:21:52 19,388 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Are you trying to reclaim the word “cracker”?
  • mrpon 13 Feb 2018 22:31:28 34,090 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What if crack?
  • Skirlasvoud 13 Feb 2018 22:31:43 3,269 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    You make it sound like you're going to another planet.

Edited by Load_2.0 at 22:20:40 13-02-2018
    Nope, just a fictional universe down the street from McDonalds. ;-)

I think I've read one too many Rotten Tomato reviews about this movie I guess and I'm pretty hyped. I appreciate this iteration of Marvel having an actual message and I might be buying too much into it.

That's relatively speaking of course. Wonder Woman delivered a pretty muddled message about evils of war and humankind too and I was expecting too much then too.

So... "What if cack?"

Edited by Skirlasvoud at 22:38:01 13-02-2018
  • JamboWayOh 13 Feb 2018 22:40:28 5,237 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So just got back from seeing this, not as amazing as all the reviews would have you think but still a good film. I personally found it quite strange for a Marvel film, but in a good way. It definitely followed certain Marvel beats such as humour, but it wasn't a snark fest and if course the ending was CGI heavy. However throughout it felt like they were trying something different and as a result it felt slow at the start. I also felt like they were genuinely trying to make and say something with some substance as opposed to fighting CGI aliens. I felt that was encapsulated by Michael B Jordan who plays Killmonger, he is pretty charismatic in this film and I thought he was the best part. Overall though a solid 3-4 star film that if I was at DC I would wonder what the fuck are we doing with our really shit films.
  • MadCaddy13 13 Feb 2018 22:41:55 2,754 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I’ve always admired Black Panther, I’ve only read one comic book series with him in it but he was the hero where all other heroes failed and died: Marvel Zombies.

Oh. How. I’d. Love. A Marvel Zombies film!!
  • David_Richardson 13 Feb 2018 22:43:04 1,020 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    I felt that was encapsulated by Michael B Jordan who plays Killmonger, he is pretty charismatic in this film and I thought he was the best part.
    Awesome. He's the main reason I'm looking forward to seeing it. Guy has a massive future ahead of him.
  • David_Richardson 13 Feb 2018 22:43:50 1,020 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @MadCaddy13 The original Marvel Zombies is absolutely fantastic. Read it at least once a year.
  • mal 13 Feb 2018 22:51:14 29,081 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Skirlasvoud wrote:
    So... "What if cack?"
    My reading of the reviews I've seen are that it's not cack, but at the same time it't not the best superhero film ever. I think a lot of what people are enjoying about it are how they see the film against the cultural landscape, not how it compares against films of the same type. If you have a severe aversion to superhero films you might still not enjoy this even if you respect some part of its message.
  • Skirlasvoud 13 Feb 2018 23:15:16 3,269 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheers mal

JamboWayOh wrote:
    It definitely followed certain Marvel beats such as humour, but it wasn't a snark fest and if course the ending was CGI heavy. However throughout it felt like they were trying something different and as a result it felt slow at the start.
    I've noticed a pattern in my tiny circle of friends that they're averse to when the CGI is inconsistent. Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was amazing since it's consistently impossible and sci-fi, Thor:Ragnarok was okay and humorous, but one girl hated how Wonderwoman kept switching flippantly between realistic period drama and magical impossibility. Sudden CGI snapped her straight out of it.

Heavy CGI, sure, but any opinion on its use? (Probably okay since Marvel seems to have it pat down)

Edited by Skirlasvoud at 23:16:11 13-02-2018
  • Rhaegyr 13 Feb 2018 23:34:19 4,119 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Michael B Jordan has been phenomenal since his days in The Wire - guy deserves all the plaudits he gets.
  • Bichii 13 Feb 2018 23:40:09 381 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    He was okay, I thought several of the other supporting actors were better though.
  • Tonka 14 Feb 2018 06:44:48 27,215 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Skirlasvoud wrote:
    I've noticed a pattern in my tiny circle of friends that they're averse to when the CGI is inconsistent.
    My problem with Marvel CGI isn't inconsistency, but how the last 50 mintes is a super unpumped battle where I know how it's going to end. From what I understand BP has one of them except you can keep track of what the different heroes are doing and you know who they are.

GotG was completely ruined for me when they started saving that planet. I get angry just thinking about how shit it was. The rest of the film, when it was a small crew doing tight things, was really enjoyable. Went from a "Worth seeing" to "Rather have a rusty skate forced up my colon the removed orally with the aid of couil of barbed wire dipped in marmite"
  • elstoof 14 Feb 2018 07:03:01 19,388 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It’s called guardians of the galaxy though isn’t it, not guardians of small and tight things
  • StarchildHypocrethes 14 Feb 2018 07:05:09 31,019 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Peej..?
  • neems 14 Feb 2018 07:16:06 3,632 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm probably late to the party, but has there been any media commentary on black superheroes having the word 'Black' in their name?
  • Banyans 14 Feb 2018 07:35:30 453 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Guardians of the Plausible.
  • OllyJ 14 Feb 2018 09:49:41 3,984 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I can't wait to see this, probably Friday. It's the CREED team back on it, so I'm pure hyped.
  • Page

of 7 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.