Meltdown and Spectre - hardware security flaws that mean all CPUs will need replacing

• Page

of 8 First / Last

Previous
  • Dirtbox 3 Jan 2018 14:58:50 89,645 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Finally, a compelling reason to go with AMD.

Everything, through Linux, OSX and Windows will have to software patch an easily exploitable hole in the Intel CPU architecture. MS will be pushing an update next week, linux distros are all patching ASAP and Apple is dragging it's feet.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/02/intel_cpu_design_flaw/

So there we go. Fuck.
  • Dirtbox 3 Jan 2018 15:02:46 89,645 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Should be noted it's just the CPUs, not SSDs or t-shirts or anything.
  • The12thMonkey 3 Jan 2018 15:05:21 501 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I love the line from the AMD guy in that article that gives the game away.

My entire work computer estate is on Intel processors (hundreds of thousands of machines). Yes, it'll be bad for gamers and power users, but these kinds of numbers could be bloody awful for business.

Edited by The12thMonkey at 15:13:02 03-01-2018

Edit: okay, maybe not so bad for games and such, but the rest...

Edited by The12thMonkey at 15:50:06 03-01-2018
  • JamboWayOh 3 Jan 2018 15:05:28 4,505 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Oh fuck indeed. I've just read it's an architecture problem and the patch will just block the exploit but permanently cripple all CPUs made within the last decade.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 3 Jan 2018 15:11:35 2,435 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This is big and bad; I think we might have the biggest tech story of 2018 right here. What will really light a fire under this as far as the media is concerned is that Intel's CEO sold a hell of a lot of stock in the company just a couple of weeks ago, at a point at which this was likely known internally but not yet public.

From what I've managed to read, impacts on users will vary depending on what their system is used for. Gaming is not likely to be as heavily impacted as other uses.

But this is about as bad for Intel as it could possibly get.
  • TheSaint 3 Jan 2018 15:12:03 17,476 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/intel-apos-ceo-just-sold-221000267.html
  • THFourteen 3 Jan 2018 15:12:48 46,889 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It’s genius by Intel. Suddenly all of us hanging in with Haswell or even older CPUs are forced to upgrade to maintain the same gaming performance we’ve been enjoying for years

/tips hat
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 3 Jan 2018 15:14:22 2,435 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @THFourteen Yeah, except in all likelihood, chips coming off the production lines today contain the flaw. "Fixed" chips may still be weeks or even months from market.

Plus the potential for class action suits here is immense. There is absolutely no upside for Intel in this.
  • Dirtbox 3 Jan 2018 15:16:20 89,645 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/intel-apos-ceo-just-sold-221000267.html
    Haha, fuck.

2018 starting out to be a bumper year full of great news.
  • THFourteen 3 Jan 2018 15:17:42 46,889 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Rogueywon

Looks like us gamers will probably be Ok

http://www.pcgamer.com/serious-intel-cpu-design-flaw-may-require-a-windows-patch-but-probably-wont-affect-gaming-performance/
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 3 Jan 2018 15:21:41 2,435 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @THFourteen Indeed, though gaming isn't the only thing I use my PC for. But I note those benchmarks are all Linux-based, where kernel patches already exist. A lot of the actual real-world impact is likely to come down to how MS choose to address this via their Windows update, as that's more relevant for the majority of gamers.
  • DrStrangelove 3 Jan 2018 15:22:06 11,652 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can't wait for the DF face off
  • Dirtbox 3 Jan 2018 15:23:27 89,645 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    They'll find a way to keep the cripple to a minimum, it's as much in their interest as it is Intel's to fix the issue in CPUs going forward.
  • Malek86 3 Jan 2018 15:24:07 6,628 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm sure we'll see a lot of benchmarks, but considering that most games are already inefficient at using the CPU's full potential, it probably won't make a difference either way.

I guess it will be much more annoying for servers and for productivity applications in general.
  • DrStrangelove 3 Jan 2018 15:39:00 11,652 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As the ancient i5-750 on my dying mobo is already close to collapse under any more or less recent game, it's not great news for me. Also not because I hoped to buy an i5-8400 in the near future. Maybe I'll delay/reconsider that.
  • thelzdking 3 Jan 2018 15:43:43 6,631 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fuck's sake. Bought a fancy-ish laptop last year and now I'll resent it.
  • Spectral 3 Jan 2018 15:44:31 5,804 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    As the ancient i5-750 on my dying mobo is already close to collapse under any more or less recent game, it's not great news for me. Also not because I hoped to buy an i5-8400 in the near future. Maybe I'll delay/reconsider that.
    I imagine if not already in production, revised models wont be far off. So best to wait for the all clear.
  • Dirtbox 3 Jan 2018 15:46:25 89,645 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I feel like there's a possibility this will be easily patched with minimal impact, but there's always that big grey area of doubt. Just going to bite my nails until the patch drops and the benchmarks roll in.
  • nickthegun 3 Jan 2018 15:47:20 72,347 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, we had a meeting about it yesterday. Quite apart from the capacity planning of potentially taking such a massive performance hit, having the kernel memory readable on servers performing financial transactions isn’t exactly ideal.

Thankfully, that seems like a pretty clear case of insider trading, so Kzranich should get jail time rather than a shrug of the shoulders, a mea culpa and a golden severance package.
  • nickthegun 3 Jan 2018 15:50:06 72,347 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I feel like there's a possibility this will be easily patched with minimal impact, but there's always that big grey area of doubt. Just going to bite my nails until the patch drops and the benchmarks roll in.
    It should be fairly easily patched but some people who have a syscall intensive workflow will need to buy a new PC/Server/Whatever. As far as I can see, there’s no way to patch this without a substantial overhead cost.
  • JamboWayOh 3 Jan 2018 15:51:53 4,505 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Yeah, we had a meeting about it yesterday. Quite apart from the capacity planning of potentially taking such a massive performance hit, having the kernel memory readable on servers performing financial transactions isn’t exactly ideal.

Thankfully, that seems like a pretty clear case of insider trading, so Kzranich should get jail time rather than a shrug of the shoulders, a mea culpa and a golden severance package.
    I'm not going to hold my breath on that one, past experiences has taught me that rich white guys get away with a lot.
  • nickthegun 3 Jan 2018 15:53:14 72,347 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If it was murder, possibly but the yanks really don’t like people fucking with capitalism.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 3 Jan 2018 15:54:12 2,435 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @JamboWayOh Even if that's true, what will count against him in this case will be that a lot of the people screaming for his head will be even richer white guys (Intel shareholders, plus those of all of Intel's major business and Government customers, all of whom are going to get hit by this).
  • DrStrangelove 3 Jan 2018 15:54:30 11,652 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Spectral wrote:
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    I imagine if not already in production, revised models wont be far off. So best to wait for the all clear.
    They'll have to redesign their chips though, adjust the production process, retrain the Chinese children who solder the nano-circuits together and stuff. I'm no expert, but I don't have the feeling the new chips will be on the market in a few weeks. We'll see. I was considering AMD alternatives already, the i5-8400 just seemed to have a particularly attractive performance/price ratio right now.
  • Spectral 3 Jan 2018 15:56:00 5,804 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    He must be fairly confident he can get away with it. He must have known when he did it people would notice as soon as this shit storm hit.

@DrStrangelove While we're all just finding out about this now there is no way Intel haven't known about it for a while. It would be suicide to still be producing chips with the flaw now. However if if it does take longer is it really worth knowingly buying a flawed design rather than wait? Even if it was fast enough for what I needed I wouldn't buy one of the effected chips on principle now.

Edited by Spectral at 15:59:39 03-01-2018
  • Dirtbox 3 Jan 2018 15:56:18 89,645 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    It should be fairly easily patched but some people who have a syscall intensive workflow will need to buy a new PC/Server/Whatever. As far as I can see, there’s no way to patch this without a substantial overhead cost.
    Yeah, that would be me. The hassle this could cause is mind numbing right now, I just don't want to have to deal with it.
  • AaronTurner 3 Jan 2018 15:57:29 9,583 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The apocalypse starts here
  • nickthegun 3 Jan 2018 15:59:39 72,347 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @JamboWayOh Even if that's true, what will count against him in this case will be that a lot of the people screaming for his head will be even richer white guys (Intel shareholders, plus those of all of Intel's major business and Government customers, all of whom are going to get hit by this).

I would imagine that the percentage of companies and governments that this will effect will be in the high 90s.

AWS powers half the internet and Azure takes care of the rest of it. Amazon must be losing their minds.
  • Dgzter 3 Jan 2018 16:01:47 1,594 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So...I literally bought my 8700k yesterday lol

...kill me
  • Spectral 3 Jan 2018 16:04:56 5,804 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Dgzter It's such a shame it keeps crashing on you/Refusing to POST ;-)

Edited by Spectral at 16:05:22 03-01-2018
  • Page

of 8 First / Last

Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.