I like gaming, but I don't think gaming likes me.

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • Cosmical 7 Dec 2017 21:38:14 288 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Somewhere along the way it became all about the win. Everything stopped being about the experience or having fun, instead it's now about separating the 'hardcore' players from the 'casuals', completely oblivious to the fact that without the 'casuals' there wouldn't be an industry since the make up the majority of sales.

I can't deal with that level of play. A game like CoD, the biggest selling franchise in games, and it has become nothing more than a photocopy of itself, repeated each year. Activision must be laughing all the way to the bank: license their code to whichever developer wants a crack this year, let them tinker around the edges and hey presto it's CoD 201X.

MW was a fun game, but when it became popular it got involved with the esports crowd. Big mistake. Competitive gaming is the cancer of this hobby, no doubt. If you want to compete, fine, take your console to the local cybercafe and have a LAN tournament. That's all you need. But nope, money got involved, which meant the publisher smelt money.

Now it's all about the kill/scorestreaks. That's all CoD is now. It doesn't matter what mode you play. It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, it's just numbers. The only way to 'win' at CoD is to get maximum killstreak. Unfortunately it's an obnoxious system that marginalises the less good players in the match for the better. This in turn informs how people play the game which is why camping is a thing. Which is why people minmax their loadout. Which is why people quickshot, headglitch or do whatever else they do to avoid actually engaging with what is meant to be an action arcade run and gun shooter. IMO CoD is at its best when you charge in like an action movie hero and take on the enemy. In actuality it's the worst tactic because you will almost certainly die - and lose your score.

Which is why I hate the system so much. Little Johnny can hide in the corner nursing his score by camping and sniping. I can actively try and push across the map doing what the game mode wants me to do, and get shot by Little Johnny. I don't think that's right. Unfortunately for me it won't change. No matter how much I try, the effort I put in, it doesn't matter; once I die all my score progress is gone. End result? I'm playing half the game the top players are, and, whatever you may think, I vehemently disagree with that. It is the overriding issue I have with CoD. I like the shooting, I like the (basic) progression system (loot crates and CoD points can die in a fire). THose are elements that have always worked well, even when the maps were terrible (and increasingly they are). But the killstreak system frustrates me to the point of destruction.

CoD should embrace what it is and stop pandering. It won't of course, Activision has too much invested and it's a lot easier to keep a model that sells big rather than change it. This year was so basic as to be boring as hell, next year will be more of the same with another coat of battle paint. War never changes unfortunately. But this does not change how I feel and I think I'm valid in pointing this out. I would love nothing more than to enjoy CoD, but I think those days are long gone.
  • onestepfromlost 7 Dec 2017 21:40:42 2,652 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    uh-huh
  • monkehhh 7 Dec 2017 21:43:05 4,768 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's fine, stop playing Call of Duty.
  • LittleSparra 7 Dec 2017 21:43:11 7,419 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah, no casual games around at all.
  • DukeSilver 7 Dec 2017 21:46:36 2,666 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm not reading that crap. Summarise it in one word.
  • elstoof 7 Dec 2017 21:47:32 19,182 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Is it the right time for me to jump into this call of duty then, Iíve never played before
  • neilka 7 Dec 2017 21:50:08 20,805 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Needs more ampersands
  • KnuttinAtoll 7 Dec 2017 21:51:04 5,000 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DukeSilver wrote:
    pwnd
  • DrStrangelove 7 Dec 2017 21:52:34 11,688 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's not GoodForm... who is it?
  • DukeSilver 7 Dec 2017 21:52:44 2,666 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    SYS64738 wrote:
    DukeSilver wrote:
    pwnd
    Got it. Thank. OK OP, play different games and you'll enjoy it.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 7 Dec 2017 21:55:38 11,995 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Nobody likes you.
  • richyroo 7 Dec 2017 21:59:40 119 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Your now realising what the rest of us have known for years.....Call of Duty is crap!

NEWSFLASH!!!! There are other games out there!

Edited by richyroo at 21:59:58 07-12-2017
  • Derblington 7 Dec 2017 22:11:50 30,219 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Competition has always been in games, itís not a new invention.
    Camping in CoD isnít really a big deal. They shouldnít kill you more than once if you know where they are. If they arenít sitting in the same spot they arenít really camping. If youíre running into someoneís gun sights because you like to run around ďlike an action heroĒ then itís on you. Plenty of players do play that way and do well.
    If you donít like score streaks, play Barebones. If you canít get score streaks, use the ribbon that doesnít cancel them when you die.

Quick-scoping is shit, granted, and the maps are too small.
  • mal 7 Dec 2017 22:12:46 28,851 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I just installed some emulators and have been enjoying old games since pretty much.
  • mAc6 7 Dec 2017 23:23:12 3,312 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    drugs!
  • yegon 7 Dec 2017 23:28:17 6,167 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Quit mp.

Only local mp with mates is worth doing.

Hell is other people.

Edited by yegon at 23:28:30 07-12-2017
  • Deleted user 7 December 2017 23:35:58
    I love a bit of Call of Duty. Own them all and have played the campaigns of each more than once.

As for the multi-player? I'm not amazing at it, I'm not terrible either, I just enjoy it. Couldn't give a monkeys about campers. Let them play how they want, put a bullet in their head when the opportunity presents itself and move on.

As others have said, though, play something else if CoD is giving you (clearly) the rage. It's just a game after all.

Edited by Ragnor at 00:03:39 08-12-2017
  • FrostPan 7 Dec 2017 23:48:00 1,426 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thread title should be why I don't like CoD. Clickbaity.
  • JamboWayOh 7 Dec 2017 23:59:48 4,562 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Jesus Christ, did GoodForm have a son from one his paid for sexual encounters?
  • Psiloc 8 Dec 2017 00:23:23 4,251 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    COD is shite, and I judge people who take it seriously.

Edited by Psiloc at 00:23:42 08-12-2017
  • Gibroon 8 Dec 2017 01:19:17 1,959 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Come and play GTSport. There are some very good drivers but there are also the average Joe's like me who post average times and end up near the back of the grid. Then scrap away with the other 4 or 5 players with similar lap times, each of us waiting for the inevitable fuck ups and rage quits. From starting in 14th, you can end up 5th.

You might not win but it feels like a win, or something.

Also, COD is shite.
  • StevenJJM 8 Dec 2017 06:07:39 24 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    I can see your plight, it's perfectly fine to think so.

What you can do is to look for something that suits your tastes. Gaming has so many different perspectives and angles, I'm sure you will discover the one that appeals to you.
  • Cosmical 8 Dec 2017 11:31:26 288 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Competition has always been in games, itís not a new invention.
    Camping in CoD isnít really a big deal. They shouldnít kill you more than once if you know where they are. If they arenít sitting in the same spot they arenít really camping. If youíre running into someoneís gun sights because you like to run around ďlike an action heroĒ then itís on you. Plenty of players do play that way and do well.
    If you donít like score streaks, play Barebones. If you canít get score streaks, use the ribbon that doesnít cancel them when you die.

Quick-scoping is shit, granted, and the maps are too small.
    QS exists because Activision thinks it's ok to allow abusive exploits when they become popular among the paying customer base (or at least their parents).

I will never come to terms with the streak system, it's just bad and unbalanced. Likewise it will never change. The formula for CoD will remain the same next year just as it did this year. Doesn't matter if its cyborgs jumping around in moon boots, or action man dressed up in faux ww2 costume running around on a map that looks suspiciously like Hijacked only worse.

THis year's offering is paltry and mealy mouthed as a result. It's staggering that it's more popular as a result. But that's gaming for you.

But the thing with CoD is that, at its core the game is fun. It has the right mix of accessibility and simplicity but just enough depth to make it compelling as a way to waste a couple of hours. The problem is, as i say, the streak system. If you don't get those rewards you are playing half the game you paid for. I hate that.

Titanfall goes a long way to scratching that same itch, but the maps, having to accomodate giant robots as well as mens, are rubbish and the game modes rather bland. Also the thrill of getting into your titan is quickly quashed when you find how squishy they are. I dont think they have the balance correct.
  • Cosmical 8 Dec 2017 11:34:25 288 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    richyroo wrote:
    Your now realising what the rest of us have known for years.....Call of Duty is crap!

NEWSFLASH!!!! There are other games out there!
    Not right now. the industry has gone to shit. What have we seen this year? Andromeda? Destiny 2, which was a tired rehash of the first game with nothing new? Battlefront 2? The latest CoD? Can't even think of anything else that appeals that came out this year. Assassins Creed, same as every other AC?
  • Cosmical 8 Dec 2017 11:35:16 288 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Gibroon wrote:
    Come and play GTSport. There are some very good drivers but there are also the average Joe's like me who post average times and end up near the back of the grid. Then scrap away with the other 4 or 5 players with similar lap times, each of us waiting for the inevitable fuck ups and rage quits. From starting in 14th, you can end up 5th.

You might not win but it feels like a win, or something.

Also, COD is shite.
    NO real interest in driving games mate.
  • SolidSCB 8 Dec 2017 11:38:51 10,003 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think Call of Duty is dogshit.

Therefore, I've not played a single Call of Duty game since Modern Warfare 2 and don't even consider ever buying whatever shit they peddle out that particular year.

And ya know what? In doing that, as if by magic, it doesn't affect me in the slightest.
  • disusedgenius 8 Dec 2017 11:45:48 8,865 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sounds like you need to try DotA.
  • gamecat 8 Dec 2017 11:46:18 699 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cosmical wrote:

Not right now. the industry has gone to shit. What have we seen this year?
    A ton of good games that aren't CoD?

But, no you must be right, you don't like killstreaks in one game so obviously all games suck, wake up sheeple!
  • DukeSilver 8 Dec 2017 11:52:52 2,666 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    That's what I call a killstreak. It's OK, it's censored.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/resources/images/3966246.jpg

Edited by DukeSilver at 11:53:14 08-12-2017
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.