Is Eurogamer respamming old content with new date stamps?

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • jontseng 14 Nov 2017 15:43:27 30 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've noticed an old review (GTX 1060 3GB) that was originally published last year seems to have republished up on the website with a recent (12/11/17) pub date. Although for some reason this review doesn't go into the front page chronological story feed it does get listed under "Recently popular" reviews.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-3gb-vs-6gb-review_6_6_8_6

Reference to this review when originally published is here with datestamps (although its pretty obvious from the subject matter and outdated prices quoted this is old content) https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/4zug70/nvidia_geforce_gtx_1060_3gb_vs_6gb_review/

I seem to have noticed this review being repubbed a couple of times previously. I seem to recall it popping up on ad sites or social media feeds (can't remember which) earlier this year. Circumstantial evidence from a Google search which surfaces various third party content indexers http://m.mogome.com/elenco/Nvidia+GeForce+GTX+1060+3GB+vs+6GB+review+%E2%80%A2+Eurogamer.net/

So my question is what is going on here? If I was a cynic I'd say Eurogamer was republishing old content with new date stamps (but deliberately not putting it on the main feed) so they can attract click-throughs from third party ad sites which will pick up the content as new and serve it to people on third party (i.e. not eurogamer.net) websites or feeds? Can't see why an old article would deliberately pop up with a new date stamp.

Is this the case? Does anyone have a view on this. On the face of it this looks like kinda spammy behaviour and pretty brazenly misleading to readers...

Regards

Jonathan
  • Your-Mother 14 Nov 2017 15:44:39 738 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    This is worse than Hillary's emails.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 14 Nov 2017 15:47:00 11,008 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Holy shit Jonathon, you may just be on to something here. I wonder how high up this goes?
  • Alastair 14 Nov 2017 15:49:10 20,933 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    There are certainly some forum users who seem to recycle the same old posts.
  • onestepfromlost 14 Nov 2017 15:49:47 2,631 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    All the way to the goddamned top!
  • StarchildHypocrethes 14 Nov 2017 15:51:19 30,731 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I bet they thought craggy's search engine would keep this buried! Excellent work Jonathan!
  • jontseng 14 Nov 2017 15:53:00 30 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cheers for your quick response guys appreciate you guys care too.

Serious question though. I'm a long time Eurogamer reader and appreciate the site for the depth and quality of coverage (take the piece of AC2 gardens yesterday - awesome).

So this potentially spammy stuff disturbs me. Understand this is a business and clicks pay the bills. But there must be a better way to go about this.
  • Alastair 14 Nov 2017 15:54:44 20,933 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    If user jontseng stops posting, we will know he was on to something, and Craigy has GId his account.
    Permanently.
  • uiruki 14 Nov 2017 15:59:54 4,410 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Looks like Tseng Labs is still very much in the graphics card business.
  • jontseng 14 Nov 2017 16:01:26 30 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @uiruki Personally I used a Trident SVGA card. Glorious 1024KB of VRAM...

Was awesome for FRACTINT.

Edited by jontseng at 16:03:20 14-11-2017
  • jontseng 14 Nov 2017 16:13:53 30 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Alastair Nah unlikely. When you've been around online forums since the days of FIDONET you realise it actually takes an awful lot to really get the ban-hammer.
  • Your-Mother 14 Nov 2017 16:19:32 738 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    This happens the same day as the NSA hacks and we're expected to believe it's not a coincidence.
  • jontseng 14 Nov 2017 16:22:30 30 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Your-Mother Sorry mate wasn't aware of any NSA hacks on this date. I did this this (pretty good) NYT article on this subject the other day. You may find it worthwhile if you have the time! All the best Jonathan https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/12/us/nsa-shadow-brokers.html?_r=0

PS If you get blocked by the firewall try firing it up in an anonymous browser tab that normally gets past the NYT barriers. Hope that's of use to you!

Edited by jontseng at 16:23:58 14-11-2017
  • Addy_B 14 Nov 2017 16:24:10 1,676 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    jontseng wrote:
    @Alastair Nah unlikely. When you've been around online forums since the days of FIDONET you realise it actually takes an awful lot to really get the ban-hammer.
    Nah just threaten to bum someone like a bonobo and you're gone.
  • jontseng 14 Nov 2017 16:26:43 30 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Addy_B Apologies I am somewhat slow on the uptake spending this long around tech does tend to frazzle one's grey cells. What is this "bonobo" of which you speak and how does one "bum" it?

Would love to know how this works! Always good to learn...
  • Addy_B 14 Nov 2017 16:38:41 1,676 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Post deleted
  • SYS64738 14 Nov 2017 16:41:31 4,715 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So Wenger Out is just the tip of the ice berg!
  • Addy_B 14 Nov 2017 16:44:39 1,676 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    jontseng wrote:
    @Addy_B Apologies I am somewhat slow on the uptake spending this long around tech does tend to frazzle one's grey cells. What is this "bonobo" of which you speak and how does one "bum" it?

Would love to know how this works! Always good to learn...
    Well when a mummy bonobo and a daddy bonobo love each other very much.......
  • jontseng 14 Nov 2017 16:45:27 30 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Addy_B >Paging user Goodform

Hi thanks for your prompt response. I shall await Goodform's clarification. In the meantime I shall avoid trying to bum any bonobos I do come across. Many thanks Jonathan.

Edited by jontseng at 16:46:24 14-11-2017
  • Alastair 14 Nov 2017 16:45:53 20,933 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @jontseng

You don't bum the bonobo. It bums you.
  • Alastair 14 Nov 2017 16:47:00 20,933 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Beware of user GoodForm - he will twist the conversation round to how good WarFrame is. And also how great he is at Battlefield 1 and all other players are rubbish.
  • Addy_B 14 Nov 2017 16:48:08 1,676 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Best jump mechanics ever!
  • Blurp 14 Nov 2017 16:49:00 1,042 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Alastair wrote:
    @jontseng

And if you're in Russia?
  • jontseng 14 Nov 2017 16:49:19 30 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Addy_B wrote:
    Thanks again for your time. If you have a chance could you please clarify this? Are you talkign about anal sex ("bum") between chimpanzees ("bonobos"). If so why would a mummy and a daddy bonobo not have normal procreative sex? Presumably if they love each other very much they would want to make a baby bonobo to express this love. Obviously if they were bum-ming each other this would not be possible.

Of course it may be possible I have entirely misread the meaning of your OP. If so I thoroughly apologise and look forward to your clarification. Best Jonathan.
  • jontseng 14 Nov 2017 16:51:33 30 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Blurp wrote:
    Alastair wrote:
    @jontseng

And if you're in Russia?
    Would the bonobo be wearing a furry hat?
  • Blurp 14 Nov 2017 16:52:09 1,042 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I assume you'd bum the bonobo in Russia. Like joke, see!
  • Addy_B 14 Nov 2017 17:01:18 1,676 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    jontseng wrote:
    Addy_B wrote:
    Thanks again for your time. If you have a chance could you please clarify this? Are you talkign about anal sex ("bum") between chimpanzees ("bonobos"). If so why would a mummy and a daddy bonobo not have normal procreative sex? Presumably if they love each other very much they would want to make a baby bonobo to express this love. Obviously if they were bum-ming each other this would not be possible.

Of course it may be possible I have entirely misread the meaning of your OP. If so I thoroughly apologise and look forward to your clarification. Best Jonathan.

I really don't know much about them. Former user Goodform did. He says they just bum everything. Sadly he left us after he threatened to bonobo members.
  • jontseng 14 Nov 2017 17:08:09 30 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Addy_B Well I hope I don't go his way, at least not til I've gotten an answer on this reposting issue.

Going back to the OP it's quite annoying to click through expecting to get a new piece of EG insight, but instead getting served up reheated content where they haven't even bothered to keep the prices up to date.

I mean even Anandtech's reviews are more current that this stuff!
  • Oli Editor, Eurogamer.net 14 Nov 2017 17:13:33 23 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hi there

You caught us red-handed!

This is a republishing technique we use on older articles that attract a lot of search traffic which helps their ranking in Google - and so helps people who might find them useful or interesting find them. We predominantly use it on guides pages. We've recently started experimenting with using it on other content that stays relevant for a long time (e.g. graphics card reviews, like the one you've linked).

There's nothing more sinister about it than that - it's 100% about Google ranking, and would only be used on articles for which Google ranking is important (so, not most news stories or features). We also only use it on articles which are still relevant and useful and/or have been updated at the time of republication. We do our best to make the process invisible to readers so it doesn't bother you, because it's not aimed at people at all - just Google's bots.

Hope that helps. Well spotted.

Oli
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 14 Nov 2017 17:14:39 11,008 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    You sir, are worse than EA.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.