Enjoying something when someone involved in making it turns out to be a sex pest, criminal, arsehole Page 14

• Page

of 24 First / Last

• nickthegun 10 Nov 2017 22:14:04 72,051 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    anephric wrote:
    I've sung Brown Sugar at karaoke fairly recently, and Honky Tonk Women, so you can definitely add me to the list.
    Music is a bit different because no one pays any attention to the lyrics. Hence nonce anthem 'my sharona' still making its presence felt 40 years later

Edited by nickthegun at 22:14:59 10-11-2017
  • You-can-call-me-kal 10 Nov 2017 22:21:20 9,904 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mfolf wrote:
    When do we move from public shaming to purging all the films that had some degree of what we now class as sexual assault. Which is pretty much all films. Indiana Jones, Star Wars etc. etc. Serious question btw, Iím trying to play this whole thing out to the end and I think what is happening is a good thing. Just curious as to where it ends.
    Is it really a serious question? Because obviously that wonít happen. Just as we havenít purged all the literature from the last millennium that has outdated racial or gender views in it.
  • Psychotext 10 Nov 2017 22:29:45 62,161 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Interestingly, I'm seeing a lot of people suggesting everyone should just move on and let Louis CK carry on without consequence...

...I suspect mostly because they enjoy his work and don't want it to go away.
  • Skirlasvoud 10 Nov 2017 22:40:28 2,988 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
  • mal 10 Nov 2017 23:09:37 28,653 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    That's probably the best he could do given the situation. The fact it took this for him to control himself makes it unlikely he'll change now I guess, but he didn't so this is the best we could hope for really.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 10 Nov 2017 23:18:30 11,398 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The last time he's being accused of doing it was like 10 years ago or something wasn't it? Not that I'm saying that makes it OK before anyone starts.
  • Mfolf 10 Nov 2017 23:25:17 1,562 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Mfolf wrote:
    When do we move from public shaming to purging all the films that had some degree of what we now class as sexual assault. Which is pretty much all films. Indiana Jones, Star Wars etc. etc. Serious question btw, Iím trying to play this whole thing out to the end and I think what is happening is a good thing. Just curious as to where it ends.
    Is it really a serious question? Because obviously that wonít happen. Just as we havenít purged all the literature from the last millennium that has outdated racial or gender views in it.
    Absolutely it is a serious question (albeit you might be taking me too literally on the purging). And why is it obvious this wonít happen?! The entire history of classic films is an advert for shit that is completely unacceptable now (and the context of this inappropriate behaviour isnít the subject, but more often than not behaviour to admire in the protagonist). It is completely reasonable to wonder if the road we are heading down will lead to these films being treated as part of our shameful past. Weíve just seen the darling of comedy, the most highly respected person in the industry, completely destroyed within 24 hours. Twenty four fucking hours. Films being binned before theyíve even been screened.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 10 Nov 2017 23:32:24 4,940 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    The last time he's being accused of doing it was like 10 years ago or something wasn't it? Not that I'm saying that makes it OK before anyone starts.
    You're being a bit "move along nothing to see here" though.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 10 Nov 2017 23:33:21 4,940 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Brett Ratner now too?
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 10 Nov 2017 23:34:42 4,940 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    All art is going to be compromised by bad goings on isn't it?
  • RandolphCarter 10 Nov 2017 23:37:31 90 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    Well he should be executed immediately.
    Glol!:lol:

This thread is gold.
  • RandolphCarter 10 Nov 2017 23:42:49 90 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    Decks wrote:
    What about killing their dog? Or burning their house down? Or murdering everyone they've ever loved?
    "Take that.....you gay bastard!"
    'Twas the straw that broke the camel's back.

Frivolity aside, why is outing someone as gay in this day and age the most damaging thing you can do to them? Sure, everyone is entitled to their privacy, but someone being gay is a total non-issue to the majority of people.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 10 Nov 2017 23:46:18 11,398 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Decks wrote:
    You're being a bit "move along nothing to see here" though.
    No I'm no. That was a response to mal saying "The fact it took this for him to control himself makes it unlikely he'll change now I guess". Don't worry I'm all up for the lynching.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 10 Nov 2017 23:48:03 4,940 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It might be fine with most people in the abstract but you can never know for sure somebody's personal circumstances and relationships or perhaps if they've struggled with coming to terms with it the consequences with regards to their mental health.

Even if the end result is ok that single instant of the one thing you've hidden from everyone, possibly in fear of embarrassment and rejection, being blurred out and out of your control is going to be rough
  • spamdangled 10 Nov 2017 23:52:07 31,041 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Double post

Edited by spamdangled at 23:52:42 10-11-2017
  • spamdangled 10 Nov 2017 23:52:16 31,041 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Outing someone is denying their right to choose, as well as putting their personal relationships with friends and family at risk, not to mention their career.

People who have been outed against their will often suffer very distressing personal consequences, and many people who are outed go on to commit suicide.

Edited by spamdangled at 23:53:40 10-11-2017
  • RandolphCarter 10 Nov 2017 23:56:35 90 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    Wow....just watching Louis CK for the first time. His 'Live at the Beacon Theatre' on YouTube - it's very funny BUT fucking hell....he has started joking about lewd sexual behaviour that may offend the living, so that's why necrophilia exists. Too close to the bone (no pun intended.)
  • spamdangled 10 Nov 2017 23:56:47 31,041 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RandolphCarter someone being gay is a total non-issue to the majority of people.
    It really isn't as widely accepted as you think.
  • RandolphCarter 11 Nov 2017 00:03:03 90 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    spamdangled wrote:
    Outing someone is denying their right to choose, as well as putting their personal relationships with friends and family at risk, not to mention their career.

People who have been outed against their will often suffer very distressing personal consequences, and many people who are outed go on to commit suicide.
    That's a fair point, and everyone is entitled to their privacy - for whatever reason.

Personally, it doesn't matter to me what someone's sexual orientation is - it genuinely annoys me when we hear of sporting personalities, music or film stars who have had to hide their sexual orientation in fear of it "destroying their public image" should it be known.
    I can't get my head around the fact that it is anyone's concern - do you like their art or sporting prowess? Then that's all that matters as far as I am concerned.
  • RandolphCarter 11 Nov 2017 00:06:44 90 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    spamdangled wrote:
    RandolphCarter someone being gay is a total non-issue to the majority of people.
    Sadly, you're probably right.

It's interesting to note that the very worst form of slander when I was a kid was being called gay. I don't know if things have changed, but that was the biggest insult in school - both as a casual put-down or vicious gossip-mongering.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 11 Nov 2017 00:09:05 4,940 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    RandolphCarter wrote:
    Wow....just watching Louis CK for the first time. His 'Live at the Beacon Theatre' on YouTube - it's very funny BUT fucking hell....he has started joking about lewd sexual behaviour that may offend the living, so that's why necrophilia exists. Too close to the bone (no pun intended.)
    I think most of what I've seen him do is about sex or relationship awkwardness that has a new light on it
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 11 Nov 2017 00:10:25 4,940 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    RandolphCarter wrote:
    spamdangled wrote:
    Sadly, you're probably right.

It's interesting to note that the very worst form of slander when I was a kid was being called gay. I don't know if things have changed, but that was the biggest insult in school - both as a casual put-down or vicious gossip-mongering.
    We still have to tell kids from saying it at work
  • spamdangled 11 Nov 2017 00:14:17 31,041 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • spamdangled 11 Nov 2017 00:14:17 31,041 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @RandolphCarter

Unfortunately, not everyone is as enlightened.

When I was 20, I was beaten into a coma outside a gay club by a homophobe they were kicking out. After returning to work after 3 months, I was promptly laid off because my lifestyle was deemed to be inappropriate.

I have a friend whose family caught him in the act of kissing his boyfriend. He was immediately disowned.

I have another friend who was glassed in a pub by someone for holding his boyfriend's hand.

And even in Brighton, one of the most gay-friendly cities in the country, I come across homophobic people on a regular basis. I wouldn't want them to know my sexuality.

Project that onto an actress who, at 18 and by her own admission, hadn't even come to terms with her sexuality to herself. An actress who may have to film in many countries where being gay is still illegal and results in prison or execution (they still exist in large numbers), so her career would suddenly be impacted. In an industry that sidelines lgbt actors as routinely as it does people of colour.

There is a reason why outing someone is routinely met with widespread criticism and why few media outlets engage in it these days. It causes humiliation and real harm.
  • Load_2.0 11 Nov 2017 00:33:44 25,863 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    spamdangled wrote:
    I come across homophobic people on a regular basis.
    Well there's the problem.
  • Negan 11 Nov 2017 00:34:29 371 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    We get it, you're gay.

Let's get back to lynching celebs.
  • Negan 11 Nov 2017 00:34:47 371 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    spamdangled wrote:
    I come across homophobic people on a regular basis.
    Well there's the problem.
    Heh!
  • spamdangled 11 Nov 2017 00:48:46 31,041 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And another one...

Not really a mainstream celebrity, but a high profile DC Comics editor is now in the spotlight:

https://www.cbr.com/dc-comics-editor-eddie-berganza-sexual-harassment-allegations-details/
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 11 Nov 2017 00:54:36 4,940 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The guy from that band Brand New has been called out for some horrible stuff

https://www.uproxx.com/music/brand-new-jesse-lacey-sexual-misconduct-allegations
  • up_the_ante 11 Nov 2017 01:47:25 383 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have to go back to mention probably the biggest one of them all - Michael Jackson. I'm endlessly fascinated by him and having read several books on him still find him an enigma. As a kid I was a massive fan and thought he was from another planet. As an adult the reality started to become more apparent. One of the books I read (Be careful who you love by Diane Dimond) in a very credible and meticulous manner puts forward that the known cases were the tip of the iceberg and he basically wrote a lot of cheques to a lot of parents.

What's sad, from an artistic point of view, is that the album Dangerous was a different direction, darker and more grown up, than the pop that had gone before. As if we were starting to see behind the facade. Then the allegations hit and he went back to over-produced pop again. Dangerous was his last great album IMO. Some will say it's disgusting to listen to his music now knowing he's a paedophile but I can still compartmentalise the different Michael Jacksons and say he was a paedophile and a genius.

Edited by up_the_ante at 01:48:11 11-11-2017
  • Page

of 24 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.