Enjoying something when someone involved in making it turns out to be a sex pest, criminal, arsehole

• Page

of 20 First / Last

Previous
  • Mola_Ram 9 Nov 2017 05:52:11 16,330 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Given that prominent celebrity sex pests are increasingly in the news these days, this is a question that I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on. Can you personally still enjoy something if the star/director/writer/whatever is revealed to have done something controversial? Or if they haven't done anything illegal, but are a bit of a prick?

For me the answer is "mostly yes", because many people are involved with making things, and if I swore off products because one of the creators is a fuckwit I wouldn't be able to enjoy anything at all. But I suppose it depends on how high up the chain said fuckwit is, or what they'd been accused of, et cetera.

What does the EG collective think?
  • DrStrangelove 9 Nov 2017 06:32:57 11,186 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Very inspiring, thanks

edit: this was a reply to a user who's since been banned and his post removed

Edited by DrStrangelove at 02:44:29 15-11-2017
  • Addy_B 9 Nov 2017 07:15:29 1,631 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    I guess getting dry bummed by a bonobo is preferable over enduring warframe.
  • mothercruncher 9 Nov 2017 07:19:36 14,092 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Never mind the paedogroping- The Hotel Inspector is RUINED for me since I discovered Alex Polizzi is a Brexitier.
  • Tonka 9 Nov 2017 07:19:43 26,463 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I don't watch Woody Allen movies. I try to steer clear of financially supporting things I strongly disapprove of. Like Facebook.

Fighting windmills is great.
  • SYS64738 9 Nov 2017 07:32:46 4,710 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mothercruncher wrote:
    Never mind the paedogroping- The Hotel Inspector is RUINED for me since I discovered Alex Polizzi is a Brexitier.
    Likewise for anything with Michael Caine in it. Not sure whether I'd root for the chavs instead of Harry Brown now!
  • Technoishmatt 9 Nov 2017 07:36:04 2,073 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I love you guys.
  • Mr_Sleep 9 Nov 2017 07:39:12 21,312 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    James Brown, Miles Davis and Ike Turner all abused their wives and I think domestic abuse is abhorent yet knowing this about them doesn't make me enjoy thier music less.

I am not sure about the visual medium or Spacey, I suspect it will be the same thing as I dont really connect the art amd the artist.
  • neilka 9 Nov 2017 07:44:32 20,570 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I enjoy some of SpaceMonkey77's posts.
  • RichDC 9 Nov 2017 07:45:57 7,551 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I still enjoy Burzum despite Varg Vikerns being a complete cunt. I just make sure to listen in a way that makes sure he gets no money.
  • whatfruitlivesagain 9 Nov 2017 07:47:58 525 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    yes.
  • Trowel 9 Nov 2017 07:53:55 21,653 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I still visit this forum regardless.
  • MrTomFTW Best Moderator, 2016 9 Nov 2017 07:58:10 47,191 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Chris Benoit was one of my favourite wrestlers. 10 years on I still haven't been able to bring myself to watch his work again.

People talk about separating the "art" from the "artist", but in practise it's pretty difficult to do. Especially since the art will always been so much a part of it's artist.
  • JamboWayOh 9 Nov 2017 08:23:14 3,328 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    GoodForm wrote:
    Seeing as we're collectively a de-facto extinction event, I tend not to judge, respectively even the best of us add to a sum that spells nothing but doom, so yeah, I still enjoy things like Lethal Weapon or Weinstein company produced movies - I mean, collectively, we are the worst. World enders. Have been from the off, and that didn't change anything about my appreciation of the finer things either.

Also - life is hard, probably even more so in circumstances when it should be easy. I guess there's a certain existential frustration playing into all shitty behaviours.

Universal law is pure fabrication, and thus are not natural fact, but just well believed fiction, and lots about how things are done, about the order of things and people, is extremely frustrating because of it. Like we could be fucking like Bonobos by law, there would hardly be any sex pests given such circumstances, way less criminals, just lots of dicks and vaginas with carpet burn (and arseholes for that matter), or lubricant makers would be as rich as oil magnates. A whole different world/nightmare in the blink of an eye.

Looking at the social incline in human society, and all the sweet fruit that isn't shared, we definitely should be taking out our frustrations out of each other's arseholes, or something.
    Whut?!
  • dominalien 9 Nov 2017 08:28:26 8,299 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    At the rate things are going, soon I won't be able to do anything short of sit in a chair and stare at a blank wall, and even then I'll be wondering whether the chair factory doesn't employ children or the wall painter doesn't beat his wife.
  • MrFlay 9 Nov 2017 08:33:42 3,589 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bad people can produce good art. If the art is good enough, people will enjoy it regardless.
  • Humperfunk 9 Nov 2017 08:37:07 7,004 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Great question.

I regard Seven as the greatest film ever made, so the Spacey accusations are a huge shame. Will I never watch it again out of protest? Absolutely not.

One where I did draw the line though was Lostprophets, absolutely loved their second album and was one I'd always go to. Haven't listened to it since though.

Saying both of those back to back, sounds almost like I have standards as to what level of noncing will stop me regarding their respective medium.
  • challenge_hanukkah 9 Nov 2017 08:40:01 5,213 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    When I found out Orson Scott Card wrote the sword fighting insults for the first Monkey Island game I remember thinking, "Oh, that guy's a bit of a cunt", but still enjoyed playing it on my last run through.

I've got to admit that I was happy that Doug TenNapel's Armikrog turned out to be shit so less people would buy it though.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 9 Nov 2017 08:48:55 10,951 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    You think it's ok to grope woman?
  • askew 9 Nov 2017 08:54:26 15,562 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    We got ourselves an incel
  • nickthegun 9 Nov 2017 08:55:45 71,901 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Getting on board with the Wii was a tough one
  • MrFlay 9 Nov 2017 08:56:11 3,589 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Jesus Christ, the ghost of Saville!
  • Jeepers 9 Nov 2017 08:56:15 16,377 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    These days you can't even grope a woman without the feminazis showing up!
  • Jeepers 9 Nov 2017 08:56:58 16,377 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    GoodForm wrote:
    What I'm saying is that it's more complicated than: "touching people uninvted is inherently bad".
    No, it's really not.
  • Addy_B 9 Nov 2017 08:57:16 1,631 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    User groperform
  • Pierre2k 9 Nov 2017 08:57:59 844 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @MrTomFTW I'm not a wrestling fan do I had to search what the story was there. Bloody hell, I wish I hadn't. What an absolute tragedy!

Chris must really have had some serious mental issues at that point. To a degree I can understand why some people commit suicide, but ill never understand why you would take your children with you.
  • Page

of 20 First / Last

Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.