• JoelStinty 1 Jan 2018 21:25:43 6,024 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Crikey the psn sale is rather good.... /shakes
  • rice_sandwich 1 Jan 2018 21:28:12 3,595 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @JoelStinty

But how many of those were you planning to buy before the sale, and how many would you be happy to buy at full price?
  • UncleLou Moderator 1 Jan 2018 21:28:15 39,000 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Not that I seriously signed up to this here, but I am totally confused how to handle my backlog. I am looking at lots of half-finished games across several platforms. Everything I finish anywhere will just be a drop in the bucket.

Maybe forget about the backlog and see this as a fresh start?

OH THE LUXURY PROBLEM.
  • JoelStinty 1 Jan 2018 21:31:28 6,024 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @rice_sandwich

There are a few games like Persona , Wolfenstein and Nioh amongst other I always actually wanted to play, just havenít got round to buying them.

Weirdly itís pang adventures Iím hovering over the add to cart button at the moment
  • rice_sandwich 1 Jan 2018 21:48:40 3,595 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @JoelStinty

Not to tempt you, but look at The Bug Butcher as it's based on Pang.
  • GuybrushThreepwood 1 Jan 2018 21:53:20 1,562 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Count me in on this. Just got Xenoblade for my birthday (bought it for myself during the Tesco sale). I've already got a few games I've not played enough on the Switch and I'll be pissed with myself if I buy more than ten this year.

Currently have about a dozen switch games. I've also got some old games on gog etc that I have never played as the only way I could is using my wife's laptop as I gave my computer away to one of my daughters some time ago as it and married life in a small house didn't go together.
  • JoelStinty 1 Jan 2018 21:53:34 6,024 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That looks pretty cool! Albeit my aging reflexes might struggle with it! Like the artsyle.

Anyway The buying feeling as passed, managed to turn of my PS4 :)
  • DangerousDave_87 1 Jan 2018 22:11:12 3,133 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @UncleLou Maybe pick out 5 or 10 you feel you'd really like to give a go and ditch the rest. That's pretty much what I've done. The rest have been locked away, likely to never see the light of day unless I magically retire and have all the time in the world to play them.
  • OnlyJoeKing 1 Jan 2018 23:18:03 353 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @UncleLou the whole point for me is to clear some of the backlog. Or more accurately, to give some time to games I already own which deserve it. And cut out the compulsive purchasing habit while I'm at it! So I'm just not buying more than 12 new games this year, playing games we already own is fair game imo.
  • monkman76 2 Jan 2018 06:34:38 12,199 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    OnlyJoeKing wrote:
    playing games we already own is fair game imo.
    That goes without saying. Otherwise we'd have to make our first purchase in order to play anything at all, which is not in the spirit of the thread!
  • monkman76 2 Jan 2018 06:38:54 12,199 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    For my part I didn't get anything from the PSN sale on the 31st, then spent yesterday going 'Giant Bomb really liked Pyre, maybe I need to try it / AC Origami is fairly cheap already / Talos Principle looks right up my street / man, only £16 for Nioh' etc etc. BUT I STAYED STRONG.
  • UncleLou Moderator 2 Jan 2018 08:21:03 39,000 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @monkman76 But...but... Nioh!

IĎve finished it on the PS4 and bought it on the PC again a few weeks ago, because Iíd rather play it again than play 99% of my backlog.

Edit: sorry, hardly the spirit of the thread.

But Nioh!

Edited by UncleLou at 08:50:18 02-01-2018
  • monkman76 2 Jan 2018 08:44:57 12,199 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just don't know if I have the patience or energy at the moment for a hard game like that. Plus it's supposedly Souls with better combat but a worse world, and it's mostly the worlds I love about Souls games. But yeah, still tempting :)

Really wanted Nier to be in the sale but anyway...
  • UncleLou Moderator 2 Jan 2018 08:51:55 39,000 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I have to give Nier another chance, I really didn't like it and abandoned it after a few hours. Enough people I trust love it and say it gets amazing, but I couldn't see much of that in the first 6 hours or so. Mundane fetch quests in PS2 environments.
  • rice_sandwich 2 Jan 2018 09:07:04 3,595 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    No temptations in the first two days. I've been firing up random stuff on Steam to see if anything takes my fancy. I reckon I'm safe until the first Nintendo Direct arrives.
  • Phattso 2 Jan 2018 09:09:14 22,280 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Iím fortunately still hammering through some of the larger scale purchases I made in the last 18 months while getting complete absorbed by Kingdom: New Lands in the Switch.

That has been my litmus test on getting right into a game. Properly exploring and exploiting the mechanics. Great fun!

No urge to spend just yet... but itís not even lunch time. ;)
  • rice_sandwich 2 Jan 2018 09:14:01 3,595 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Phattso

How far have you gotten in KNL? I'm on the second island and finding it challenging. Speed is of the essence.
  • dominalien 2 Jan 2018 09:15:44 8,407 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm trying to buy no games at all this year.

That way, perhaps I'll manage the just around 10.
  • Phattso 2 Jan 2018 09:16:18 22,280 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @rice_sandwich I also got bogged down on the second island, but made rapid progress on NYE and am now on the fourth.

Speed is less important than the choices but for sure you wanna have your exit plan set before day Ten and then execute it. Iím at the point now where on the first theee islands I can totally game the system and leave with heaving sacks of cash. :)
  • rice_sandwich 2 Jan 2018 09:28:31 3,595 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Phattso

I had an awkward setup in respect of the boat location and got a great town going but I took too long and tried to destroy both portals, which meant that my town was eventually raised by a gigantic enemy monster.

edit: Do you know that you don't have to restart from the first island once you've left it?

Edited by rice_sandwich at 09:33:58 02-01-2018
  • the_dudefather 2 Jan 2018 09:30:32 10,569 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Looking through the '50 games to look forward to in 2018' list on the front page (which probably isn't everything that will come out this year that looks interesting)

A lot of 'maybe if it reviews well' entries (Hoping Spider-man is good), but key is to give everything at least a week or two at least to not get sucked into hype

Except RDR2 of course, day one all the way

Edited by the_dudefather at 09:32:49 02-01-2018
  • JoelStinty 2 Jan 2018 09:44:13 6,024 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    I have to give Nier another chance, I really didn't like it and abandoned it after a few hours. Enough people I trust love it and say it gets amazing, but I couldn't see much of that in the first 6 hours or so. Mundane fetch quests in PS2 environments.
    To be honest i felt the same way about Yakuza 0. I even gave it 20 hours. I loved the narrative and the writing for its main story but the gameplay i found really hard to get into, which i didn't because i abandoned it. I could only manage 30 minutes to at most hour long sessions a time. I can see why people like it, but it was, as you say, mundane fetch quests in ps2 environments. Which sometimes can be charming, and there is a degree of that in Y0, but the gameplay just never excited me.
  • the_dudefather 2 Jan 2018 09:53:02 10,569 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It took me about 9 months to get through Yakuza 4 last year, doing a chapter or so every so often (playing in much larger chunks near the end), was a nice pace to go though, a nice Sunday night game for me

Going to start 5 soon and expect to do a similar pace
  • JoelStinty 2 Jan 2018 09:59:49 6,024 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Its really frustrating because the narrative aspects in Y0 are amazing. But i don't know if i can put myself through playing it 30 minutes at a time. I might pick it back up and see how i get on with it. I would like to see the story through.
  • UncleLou Moderator 2 Jan 2018 10:04:28 39,000 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I felt similarly about Yakuza, but found the storytelling (as well as the wacky side quests) so compelling that I actually finished it. Which is unusual for me as I donít really care much for stories in games usually.
  • Dombat 2 Jan 2018 10:06:56 1,210 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    the_dudefather wrote:
    Looking through the '50 games to look forward to in 2018' list on the front page (which probably isn't everything that will come out this year that looks interesting)

A lot of 'maybe if it reviews well' entries (Hoping Spider-man is good), but key is to give everything at least a week or two at least to not get sucked into hype

Except RDR2 of course, day one all the way
    Yeah, it's lacking in must-buy games for me so far. A lot of games I can probably miss out on if I withstand the release hype.

Will still be hard to limit to 10, given I have about 3 games from last year I want to get at some point.
  • Phattso 2 Jan 2018 10:18:43 22,280 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @rice_sandwich

rice_sandwich wrote:
    edit: Do you know that you don't have to restart from the first island once you've left it?
    I do! In fact I'm fairly certain that from island 4 onwards it's not possible to succeed (in most cases) from a cold start unless one were to be super lucky with initial placements. I'll be replaying island 1 to farm a pot of cash and a boatload of soldiers, and then heading to island 4. :)
  • Graxlar_v3 2 Jan 2018 11:56:02 1,135 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Phattso wrote:

Losers that dropped out before the 1st of January:

Graxlar_v3

Hey!,

Well... fair enough but with Monster Hunter, DragonBall Figthers Z, Dissidia Final Fantasy NT and AND Shadow of the colossus out within 3 weeks of each other, 10 games in a year is just unfeasible for me :(
  • Phattso 2 Jan 2018 12:06:35 22,280 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yes, I'm absolutely certain that getting all of those within three weeks of each other is the best way to guarantee that you enjoy each one fully. GOOD PLAN! ;-)
  • Graxlar_v3 2 Jan 2018 12:10:51 1,135 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    I appreciate it is madness but there isnt a game in that list i could argue against not getting (well DBZ cos i want it on the switch) but the other 3 are must buys for me :(
  • Page

of 30 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.