Buying Only 10 Games in 12 Months (2018)

• Page

of 31 First / Last

Previous
  • Phattso 1 Nov 2017 12:26:24 22,283 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    BREAKING NEWS: THIS THREAD IS NOW THE "PROVE GRAXLAR_V3 WRONG" THREAD. JOIN US. CRUSH GRAXLAR.

For years and years and years, like many of you, I’ve been accruing a ridiculous backlog of games. Too many platforms, too many so-called must have titles, too little time. Then layer on some option paralysis from having too much to choose from, a descent into apathy, the balancing of gaming with work and life as the years roll inexorably on…

…ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

I really want to get back to loving games again. Not just the special ones that come along once in a while, but all of them. Like I used to. I want to get sucked into a game’s world and systems. I want to explore what its creators intended in detail, rather than just skim the surface and discard without giving it a proper play. I don’t want to bounce between five games I have ‘on the go’ where I invariably end up finishing one and abandoning the rest.

I tried 52 games in 52 weeks this year, with the intention of clearing some of the backlog and jolting myself into completing games rather than sinking a few hours and then moving on. It sort of worked. I have completed a lot of games this year, but then I started ‘gaming’ the challenge and choosing what I’d play next by seeing what its average completion time was. Fuck’s sake, me! What was I thinking?!

So in 2018 I want to make the games I choose to buy meaningful. I want to have to make a genuine choice between this or that, and then really give it my time. This isn’t about saving money; I’m at the point in life where I could buy a fucktonne of games if I really wanted to. This is about making my connection to the games I choose to play more meaningful again by creating a system that will bolster my lack of self control when it comes to the backlog.

This has absolutely nothing to do with being well into my 40s and wanting to recapture my halcyon youth, nosirree!

So - anyone with me? Anyone willing to commit to buying no more than ten games in 2018? Of course you can play anything you like from your backlog, but you can only add ten to it (which we’ll dutifully record in here).

We also need to be each other’s support network. So hopefully at least one other person is up for this to keep me honest by watching my Steam, PS4 and Switch accounts. :D

TL;DR: Let’s fight gaming apathy by forcing genuine choice and a little bit of consequence. Play as many games as you like in 2018, but only BUY 10 of them.

If you have a sub like XB Live, EA Access or PSN then you might choose to count based on what you actually install, rather than what you've paid for.

PURE OF HEART, BOLD OF SPIRIT

Phattso
    Derblington
    DUFFMAN5
    caligari
    LittleSparra
    rice_sandwich
    Humperfunk
    Switch024
    RunningMan
    Monkman76
    Vortex808
    DangerousDave_87
    TitanWarlord93
    Dougs
    Technoishmatt
    kentmonkey
    Dombat
    Jono62
    macmurphy
    JoelStinty
    Dr.Haggard
    OnlyJoeKing (12 game flava)
    Rajin
    THFourteen (12 game flava, BECAUSE A FOOTBALL GAME IS STILL A GAME!)
    markytonline83
    the_dudefather
    Rodderz
    ghearoid
    hedben2013
    robthehermit
    BillMurray
    oibignose
    Cappy
    kosigan
    bighairybear65
    erniewhatbert
    killersrquiet
    Thingy
    xxblindmonkeyxx
    Murbs
    JiveHound
    Skirlasvoud
    GuybrushThreepwood
    UncleLou
    bighairybear65
    Rivuzu
    Chug666
    crashVoodoo
    blimeyguvnor87
    Nazo

FALLEN HEROES - JANUARY

Addy_B

FALLEN HEROES - DECEMBER *LAST YEAR*

Graxlar_v3, whose negativity must be CRUSHED from them, with justice coming as they draw their final, ragged, breaths: "actually, we *will* finish this, thankyou very much. What? Oh, yeah, sure I can release the chokehold... no biggie."

Edited by Phattso at 17:59:43 18-01-2018

Edited by Phattso at 18:02:15 18-01-2018
  • Derblington 1 Nov 2017 12:28:58 30,217 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    This will be tough. I'll give it a go.
  • Malek86 1 Nov 2017 12:30:57 6,640 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Couldn't you at least make it 12? Rounding down during months is so difficult for my brain.
  • DUFFMAN5 1 Nov 2017 12:39:36 22,265 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I with you mate as a fellow 40's fun lovin' youngster. I never hit anywhere near 52 games anyway!
    Lets do this muthaaaa
  • caligari 1 Nov 2017 12:41:29 17,827 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Heh, I'd definitely be up for this.

My Mum and her partner usually buy me 'puter games for Christmas...this has got to be one of the first times where I'm going to have to ask for an Oxfam Unwrapped Goat, instead (or if I'm slightly more honest...bicycle accessories). I'm already working my way through Wipeout Omega and Danganronpa 1/2 on the PS4 (ignoring the fact that I still dedicate far too much time to PvZ: Garden Warfare 2 and Fortnite: BR). On my pile of shame is Nier, Horizon: ZD and Bloodbowl 2. It's just...it's just too much for one man to handle.

First World Problems.
  • whatfruitlivesagain 1 Nov 2017 12:44:21 672 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    The problem is what if I buy something shit?
  • Phattso 1 Nov 2017 12:45:04 22,283 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    Couldn't you at least make it 12? Rounding down during months is so difficult for my brain.
    I nearly did, but then there are drought months, there are holiday months... 10 makes it tougher, which was what I was aiming for. But if that's how you wanna rock it, you should. Like the 52 games things, apply your own rules to the skeleton I've outlined.

Go over 10 and you will be publicly shamed though, just so you know ;)
  • Phattso 1 Nov 2017 12:46:31 22,283 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    whatfruitlivesagain wrote:
    The problem is what if I buy something shit?
    Well indeed, and therein lies the consequence.

1. Actually have a real think about what you might want to be playing
    2. Check out the reviews
    3. If you bounce off it, you're throwing away 10% of new games in 2018. Maybe give it another shot? Maybe play it a different way?

That's how I hope it plays out. And there's always:

4. Go back and revisit a classic from your ridiculous backlog and actually finish the fucker. :)
  • DUFFMAN5 1 Nov 2017 12:46:37 22,265 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Right so I have looked ahead and I'm thinking on:
    Vampyr
    RDR2 (2019?)
    TLOU2
    Kingdom Come
    Far Cry 5
    Crackdown 3
    Anthem (2019?)
    Skull+Bones (2019)
    Spider-man
    Cyberpunk 2077 (2020?)

well that is 10, if they all release next year, which they will not.
  • LittleSparra 1 Nov 2017 12:49:13 7,405 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I am in. As long as i can play my oldies but goldies whenever i want.

Edited by LittleSparra at 12:49:24 01-11-2017
  • rice_sandwich 1 Nov 2017 12:51:26 3,622 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm in. Does dlc for already owned games count? I'll very likely buy whatever minor dlc releases next year for Field of Glory 2, which could amount to two or three purchases.
  • Phattso 1 Nov 2017 12:52:53 22,283 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    I'm in. Does dlc for already owned games count? I'll very likely buy whatever minor dlc releases next year for Field of Glory 2, which could amount to two or three purchases.
    I'd sort of count DLC in with the game. As the aim - for me at least - is to actually love the games and appreciate them as their makers intended then I'd argue DLC should absolutely be a gimme and not counted against the 10.
  • Humperfunk 1 Nov 2017 12:55:43 7,205 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Shit, should I not do another 52 game one then?

Either way I'm in!
  • Switch024 1 Nov 2017 12:57:11 2,140 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Definitely count me in. I have picked up far too many new releases this year and can probably count on one hand the number of them that I've actually finished.
  • DUFFMAN5 1 Nov 2017 12:58:32 22,265 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Humperfunk wrote:

Either way I'm in!
    Yeah just don't tell that tool who authors the 52 games thread, we are a splinter group...not the Peter Green one though.

you do a great job really ;)
  • Singularity 1 Nov 2017 13:00:24 2,707 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    What about Playstation Plus games? Do they not count as I'm not 'buying' them directly?

Not that I ever actually get around to playing them!
  • Humperfunk 1 Nov 2017 13:01:49 7,205 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Humperfunk wrote:

Either way I'm in!
    Yeah just don't tell that tool who authors the 52 games thread, we are a splinter group...not the Peter Green one though.

you do a great job really ;)
    Hahaha cheeky bastard :D
  • Phattso 1 Nov 2017 13:05:54 22,283 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Humperfunk wrote:

Either way I'm in!
    You absolutely should! Technically there's nothing stopping someone doing this one from also achieving 52. :)
  • Derblington 1 Nov 2017 13:06:06 30,217 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'd say you can tailor the rules for the amount of games, DLC, Plus and Gold, etc, to your own preference. Phattso doesn't need to dictate everything.
  • Humperfunk 1 Nov 2017 13:10:52 7,205 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    Humperfunk wrote:

Either way I'm in!
    You absolutely should! Technically there's nothing stopping someone doing this one from also achieving 52. :)
    Cool, will do :)

Considering the size of my backlog, should definitely be doing 10 purchased games at least!
  • rice_sandwich 1 Nov 2017 13:11:34 3,622 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    There are so many possible Switch releases coming next year that it's going to be hard to choose! My missus often buys me the big Nintendo releases, so if that happens I'll include them in my list.

Going in with hardcore intentions, so.....

If I fail the challenge I promise I'll buy a randomly selected EG regular a Nintendo Switch.
  • RunningMan 1 Nov 2017 13:23:48 2,824 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sign me up. Have the Witcher 3 to do and GTA V. Give me an excuse to spend more time on the biggies.
  • the_dudefather 1 Nov 2017 13:24:56 10,573 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think my problem for this would be the temptation to buy cheap games on steam or PSN sales, but if I took this challenge that would at least make me more invested in the games I do buy

At any rate my backlog list still has plenty in it so would rarely be stuck without stuff to play (pretty much a direct result of previously mentioned sales), might give this a go :D
  • Malek86 1 Nov 2017 13:29:42 6,640 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    First time we get a decent Humble, this plan is going to look very annoying.
  • LittleSparra 1 Nov 2017 13:31:35 7,405 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    There are so many possible Switch releases coming next year that it's going to be hard to choose! My missus often buys me the big Nintendo releases, so if that happens I'll include them in my list.

If I fail the challenge I promise I'll buy a randomly selected EG regular a Nintendo Switch.
    Bagsy!
  • Graxlar_v3 1 Nov 2017 13:32:48 1,167 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    why not, i am down to trying this...

there is only

Anthem,
    Sea of thieves
    Monster hunter World
    Dragonball Fighters z
    Code Vein
    Dynasty Warrirors 9
    Fire emblem (untitled)

that are on my 2018 wish list
  • rice_sandwich 1 Nov 2017 13:33:54 3,622 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @LittleSparra

Let's say that anyone taking part in this thread has a chance to win it (if I fail). If past behaviour is any indicator of future behaviour then the chances of me failing are pretty, pretty high.
  • monkman76 1 Nov 2017 13:35:04 12,206 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Phattso I'm in, sounds like a great idea. Full fat 10 game version! /pumps

I assume buying a load of games on 31st December is not really in the spirit?
  • Malek86 1 Nov 2017 13:36:36 6,640 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:

And then, on the evening of December 31st, just as you are sure to have barely managed to win, the wife comes back home with a present.
  • Cappy 1 Nov 2017 13:47:58 13,681 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Haha!

This is wonderful, you should write a brief equivalent to the Twelve Step Program to accompany the first post.

I'm not sure I can adhere to ten games myself, I'd presume older and retro games still count and I can't resist when something I've been after for years turns up for sale.

I obviously need to enlist the help of that higher power.

Edited by Cappy at 13:48:25 01-11-2017
  • Page

of 31 First / Last

Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.