of 31 First / Last

• ChiefGB 9 Jan 2018 14:29:58 7,553 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Seems I should be looking out for crashes then
  • ChiefGB 9 Jan 2018 14:45:38 7,553 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Zero_g yeah, she's sassy alright so far, which works well for me too.
  • THFourteen 9 Jan 2018 19:45:54 46,937 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just got to the first tracking quest and had to ask the nearby dude for help as my blades were too gimped.

To be honest found a lot of doors chests etc that my blades canít open. Have I fucked something up in my playing?
  • Gaol 9 Jan 2018 19:56:13 3,278 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ghearoid wrote:
    Tora annoyed me in the beginning but I got used to him and used him throughout the main story. I've been using the other tank character now I've "finished" the main game and just mopping up side quests and blades, but I still prefer Tora. The second tank just isn't drawing aggro away from me as effectively as Tora and Poppi.
    I would say that both tanks have a decreasing ability to hold aggro as you gain levels and power with Aegis, and the difference may be more to do with your increased damage output. You can mitigate it a bit with Gold Nopon masks, aggro aux cores and by making sure you spam Rex's anti-aggro ability when possible, but I've read that they don't do too well post-game unless you limit your dps.

I personally think Tora/Poppi is the worst thing about the game, mainly from the stupid dialogue and terrible voice work. It's a bit cringeworthy and they should have found a better solution to localise it - particularly given the rest of the English dub is pretty good imo.
  • ghearoid 9 Jan 2018 20:00:24 2,790 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    What, you don't like hearing "mehmehmehmehmeh" a hundred times each battle? :)
  • ChiefGB 9 Jan 2018 20:10:03 7,553 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've not brought him into battle just yet, guess I have that to look forward too..............
  • europeanbob 9 Jan 2018 22:24:20 84 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is this the kind of game where I can burn through the main story and ignore side quests, or am I gonna get rogered later in the game if I follow this path? I'm thoroughly enjoying the story and characters but the side missions I've tried so far are extremely tedious and I don't want to do any more
  • Mola_Ram 9 Jan 2018 22:53:47 16,910 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You shouldn't need to do many side quests. If you notice yourself getting too low-level for story missions, then maybe do one or two. But otherwise you should be fine.
  • europeanbob 9 Jan 2018 22:54:53 84 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers dude.
  • Ror 9 Jan 2018 23:46:26 16,914 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I finished chapter 2 this evening (yes, I'm slow) and I still don't quite know what I am doing in battle.

I do feel like I can probably figure it out, though.
  • Mola_Ram 9 Jan 2018 23:54:16 16,910 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Trust me, there will be a moment where you suddenly understand the combat. It will probably come in chapter 3 sometime, after most of the main systems have been introduced.
  • Gaol 10 Jan 2018 00:35:16 3,278 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So my thoughts after completion and some 87 hours o,0 are that this is an excellent game but a few things stop it being a classic.

Highlights are:

The combat
    The world design
    The soundtrack
    The systems and progression
    Some of the character design and voice work (Nia, Dromarch, Morag, Zeke, Gramps)
    The addictive nature of the game - the adventure is well paced and not grindy at all

Flaws for me are:
    The resolution of the graphics in portable
    The story - it's serviceable but there is way too much exposition
    Some characters - Rex and Malos, both characters were a bit underdeveloped imo; Poppi, Tora and the excruciating Nopon speak
    The map can be confusing occasionally

Probably still a 9/10 for me, the good stuff far outweighs the criticisms.
  • ChiefGB 10 Jan 2018 00:38:09 7,553 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tbf I don't think the res on docked is much to shout about either but it's deffo worse on handheld, that said I am playing in a 55" 4k tv so it may not be the best way to play it there either.

Edited by ChiefGB at 00:38:31 10-01-2018
  • ecu 10 Jan 2018 00:56:17 80,250 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Even when docked the graphics can be ropey. Framerate is bad in some places too, mostly the towns but Torigoth is the worst for it.

Iíve never played a game with such a variance in graphics, it looks gorgeous at times and other times it can look like an early PS2 game.

Doesnít bother me one bit though.

Edited by ecu at 00:56:49 10-01-2018
  • Mola_Ram 10 Jan 2018 01:05:39 16,910 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think they had a pretty short development time, so I can understand how the game got to be a little messy. But it's still great.
  • Zero_g 10 Jan 2018 07:29:14 175 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Iím getting very frustrated by the low Ďdrop rateí of rare blades. Iíve used hundreds of cores now and iím still short by over a dozen rare blades.
    Worst still is you can tell what type of blade you are about to get by the third Ďwhite silhouetteí that appears during the processwhen you bond a core (anyone else notice this???). I mean I might see an unusual outline (indicative of a rare blade) but itís always the first or second silhouette. The last two times (over 150 cores used) I got rare blades I knew immediately on seeing the third silhouette.
    Of particular note is the limitation on the number of boosts that you can carry, which means the process for trading in salvage is usually interrupted as I max out, then I have to bond a few blades, then I have to scrap a few (only one or two field skill) common blades which immediately nets me more wretched boosters again.
  • THFourteen 10 Jan 2018 07:34:56 46,937 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Zero_g

Itís a bit pokemony. I am assuming you donít _need_ those rare blades to progress anyway?

I have about 10 or so rare blades now in the middle of chapter 4. My main problem is they are not on the right characters and I donít want to waste an overdrive to move them so they are useless.
  • Mola_Ram 10 Jan 2018 07:52:13 16,910 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, it's a bit weird that Overdrive thingies are as rare as they are. It's really limiting.
  • ecu 10 Jan 2018 08:05:54 80,250 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If I use a rare core & 5 boosters it nearly always gives me a rare blade.
  • THFourteen 10 Jan 2018 08:07:18 46,937 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I thought the boosters just change the element do I need to use all five to guarantee a rare blade? Didnít know that explains why I donít get rare blades from all my rare cores :/(
  • Mola_Ram 10 Jan 2018 08:12:58 16,910 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Apparently they don't affect the chance of getting a rare - they just affect the chance of getting a certain element.

I've used loads of rare cores, with boosters and high luck, and don't have anywhere close to a 100% success rate.
  • THFourteen 10 Jan 2018 08:14:21 46,937 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Heh just been pissing around in the menus and realised I havenít spent a single skill point.
  • Zero_g 10 Jan 2018 08:36:17 175 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @ecu
    Youíre fortunate. How many rare blades do you have now?
  • Zero_g 10 Jan 2018 08:37:33 175 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @THFourteen
    It definitely doesnít not work this way in my experience. Boosters only seem to increase (by no means guarentee) your odds of a particular (pair of) elements

Edited by Zero_g at 08:52:51 10-01-2018
  • THFourteen 10 Jan 2018 09:20:43 46,937 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Argh so I also didnít realise the blade affinity charts are actually mini quests. So I havenít particularly done any of them!!
  • Graxlar_v3 10 Jan 2018 09:25:08 1,167 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    @Zero_g You can sell the boosters btw. they are not worth much but you get so many from handing in salvage/scrapping commons.
  • ecu 10 Jan 2018 09:56:40 80,250 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Apparently they don't affect the chance of getting a rare - they just affect the chance of getting a certain element.

I've used loads of rare cores, with boosters and high luck, and don't have anywhere close to a 100% success rate.
    In my experiment it definitely makes a difference. Only ever had 1 rare blade from a rare core without using boosters, used about 10 total. With boosters Iíve had around 12 rare blades from 13 rare cores. I think the luck stat helps a lot too.
  • Gaol 10 Jan 2018 09:58:50 3,278 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Higher idea levels raise the chance of rare blades, an informant says as much when you pay to reveal a tip on one of them, so boosters will have an effect though it is clearly marginal. You can boost your carrying capacity of boosters to 25 by buying two shop deeds, there is a spreadsheet pinned on gamefaqs.

There are 20 RNG blades, and I reached 15 over the course of the story with little issue. After that I was getting nowhere so gave up, I had my party as I wanted them anyway. Commons aren't worth opening at later stages imo.
  • Zero_g 10 Jan 2018 10:15:11 175 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Iím missing about 5 RNG rare blades.

Iíve enjoyed completing the affinity quests associated with each and thatís the reason Iím chasing them.

Has anyone forked out for the season pass? Iíve been put off with the high price thus far.
  • Mola_Ram 10 Jan 2018 10:17:19 16,910 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I did. Depending on what the content is, it might be the last time I fork out early for a Nintendo Season Pass. They've been pretty underwhelming so far.
  • Page

of 31 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.