Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Page 14

• Page

of 15 First / Last

• technotica 6 Dec 2017 12:17:51 574 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think its fun, but I prefer big Mecha over big boobed women. (aka X over 2)
  • ghearoid 6 Dec 2017 12:52:37 2,709 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Finished chapter three last night. Oh boy, this game does not hold back!

The tutorials in chapter three help make a lot more sense of combat and it's a lot more fun now.
  • Rhaegyr 6 Dec 2017 13:20:28 3,948 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    For people who played and loved the original XC on the Wii - how does this compare?
  • Duffking 6 Dec 2017 14:47:55 14,904 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's pretty similar, but the combat is a bit more complex and hard to understand, with the payoff of being more gratifying by far when you get the hang of it.

Poor tutorials (but you'll find plenty of better explanations online now), bad map/compass and some dodgy character art aside, I think it's a marginally better game so far. Once the story gets going it's a really fun ride, I like the characters (if not some of the art...), the combat is great fun and it's fucking massive.
  • Rhaegyr 6 Dec 2017 15:10:18 3,948 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sounds great - the original is most likely my favourite JRPG of all time (even beating Grandia, Skies, FFVI etc).

Bought a Switch yesterday (albeit with no games) - Mario and this sound like the perfect combination :)
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 6 Dec 2017 15:26:51 2,780 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    I saw someone saying there were independent sliders for battle dialogue etc. Can you turn all that stuff off?

EDIT Oh yeah, and my collectors edition turned up today \o/ Won't be playing it just yet though.
    There you go, yours beat mine in the end (still due Saturday and only just in Royal Mail hands (oddly) despite the dispatch notice). I did use freebie nonprime shipping though. I have had Amazon free shipping from US be quicker though...
  • ghearoid 6 Dec 2017 21:06:59 2,709 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Got two more rare blades this evening, a badass spear ice attacker for Rex and the ice skater girl healer for Nia. Perfect.

It's getting easier to chain combo with the extra blade slot and more elemental options.
  • Ror 6 Dec 2017 23:55:43 16,723 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    One_Vurfed_Gwrx wrote:
    Ror wrote:
    I saw someone saying there were independent sliders for battle dialogue etc. Can you turn all that stuff off?

EDIT Oh yeah, and my collectors edition turned up today \o/ Won't be playing it just yet though.
    There you go, yours beat mine in the end (still due Saturday and only just in Royal Mail hands (oddly) despite the dispatch notice). I did use freebie nonprime shipping though. I have had Amazon free shipping from US be quicker though...
    Sounds like they marked yours at dispatched just so they could charge you :(
  • Gaol 7 Dec 2017 01:03:30 3,246 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Another marathon session tonight. Just when I'm getting ready to wind up, the cut scene starts at the end of chapter 3 / beginning of 4. Flashbacks to Xenogears Disc 2 in terms of length of time watching.

Rex pulled a rare tank, it's really cool having the option to damage sponge. I may leave him atk/atk/tnk for the moment.
  • Daryoon 7 Dec 2017 13:58:22 5,906 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Heads up regarding chapter 4: it's the "comedy" chapter.
  • ghearoid 7 Dec 2017 14:21:18 2,709 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    More blushy crushy? :)
  • Daryoon 7 Dec 2017 15:25:26 5,906 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    ghearoid wrote:
    More blushy crushy? :)
    Oh yes. It's basically an amalgam of kids anime shows from across the generations. Team Rocket's blasting off again sort of thing.
  • Mola_Ram 7 Dec 2017 23:08:15 16,513 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Arrrgh, getting onto the fields in Chapter 2 was properly special. Sure, it's mostly a repeat of the Bionis Leg / Gaur Plains awesomeness from the first Xenoblade Chronicles, but still... soooooo good. That music.
  • Red_Bool 8 Dec 2017 11:05:04 1,571 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So we recently got a Switch for the boys (me being one of the boys ;)). We got Mario Odyssey and Mario vs Rabbids and I told myself that that would be enough for now....

However I'm craving for some RPG goodness. The more I see of this the more I want it... yet I still haven't finished XC on the 3DS. Of course the sensible thing to do is finish that first (I left it at around 45 hours, a quick look at gamefaqs tells me I'm a little over half-way), but still...
  • Duffking 8 Dec 2017 21:20:49 14,904 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So yesterday I hit chapter 5. I've been going through all my common cores and farmed a couple of rares as I gained a new character. I think by my calculations, I've opened 110 common cores and 21 rare cores on the same character, and received ZERO rare blades.

None.

At all.

What the fuck?
  • neems 8 Dec 2017 21:40:43 3,552 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have a theory that it isn't actually random, but is based on specific stats. So you need to have - for example - 3 justice, 2 compassion, 2 bravery and 1 whatever the other one is. The boosters alter your current stats to allow you to unlock different people.

I have no evidence for this whatsoever.
  • ghearoid 8 Dec 2017 22:23:01 2,709 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I've received all my rare blades from common core crystals with no boosters.

Rex-Rex is mainly using the blades given by the story. The rest I keep sending off on missions to level them up.
  • chrisno21 8 Dec 2017 22:43:42 1,856 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I genuinely haven't bothered using the cores. Doesn't appeal to me, the idea of randomly spawning a blade based on RNG. I'm enjoying the game with the standard ones, though I am only on chapter 3 having finally found the ruddy boat...
  • ghearoid 8 Dec 2017 23:17:46 2,709 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @chrisno21 the rare blades do add more content though, cut scenes, side quests and NPC conversations.
  • DangerousDave_87 8 Dec 2017 23:34:43 2,852 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Red_Bool Push on with the original. Its a classic worthy of seeing through to the end.
  • THFourteen 9 Dec 2017 07:39:06 46,465 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DangerousDave_87 wrote:
    @Red_Bool Push on with the original. Its a classic worthy of seeing through to the end.
    Agree with this

Also you know once you start 2 you’ll never go back.
  • Red_Bool 9 Dec 2017 08:38:48 1,571 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Of course you are both right. Thanks for talking some sense into me :)

I will be strong and resist the "new shiny" temptation ;)

Now then, where's my 3DS?
  • GloatingSwine 9 Dec 2017 09:15:21 3,615 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    chrisno21 wrote:
    I genuinely haven't bothered using the cores. Doesn't appeal to me, the idea of randomly spawning a blade based on RNG. I'm enjoying the game with the standard ones, though I am only on chapter 3 having finally found the ruddy boat...
    There's a good reason to have quite a decent selection of extra ones which you will get access to in Chapter 4.

I only have two specials (Vale and Godfrey), but every now and again I spam some extra common cores (they drop quite regularly).

Also if you max out a blade's affinity chart you get presents.
  • Rusty_M 9 Dec 2017 10:23:16 6,744 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cutie-cutie, lovely-lovely, blushy-crushy, tee-hee!
  • Daryoon 9 Dec 2017 16:45:51 5,906 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Duffking wrote:
    So yesterday I hit chapter 5. I've been going through all my common cores and farmed a couple of rares as I gained a new character. I think by my calculations, I've opened 110 common cores and 21 rare cores on the same character, and received ZERO rare blades.

None.

At all.

What the fuck?
    Just throw a bunch of boosters on a core before you use it. That's how I got half of mine (I think I have around ten now, mid-chapter 5). If you're short on said boosters, find a salvage point you can hit consistently. Not only will you end up with plenty of boosters from selling what you pull up, you'll be rich!
  • Duffking 9 Dec 2017 17:07:52 14,904 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Daryoon Trust me, I used literally hundreds of boosters. I have a max of 25 of each I can hold, plus I kept getting more by releasing boosters.

I think it's more that I had quite a few rare blades already, somewhere in the region of 20 (though about 5 are guaranteed ones), but those odds are still stupid.
  • Daryoon 9 Dec 2017 19:33:35 5,906 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Duffking wrote:
    @Daryoon Trust me, I used literally hundreds of boosters. I have a max of 25 of each I can hold, plus I kept getting more by releasing boosters.

I think it's more that I had quite a few rare blades already, somewhere in the region of 20 (though about 5 are guaranteed ones), but those odds are still stupid.
    Aah. That might be it, then. A bunch of rare blades are gotten through side quests, rather than RNG. Also, they're element-locked, so it's only worth using boosters that correspond to their element.
  • Gaol 9 Dec 2017 23:25:29 3,246 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Daryoon wrote:
    Duffking wrote:

Aah. That might be it, then. A bunch of rare blades are gotten through side quests, rather than RNG. Also, they're element-locked, so it's only worth using boosters that correspond to their element.
    I think the boosters increase a chance to pull a blade with those elements, so I'm not sure if using them on unique crystals has any effect.

In terms of Duffking not getting any more rare blades, the chance seems to decrease as you get more of them. Presumably the game wants you to farm legendary cores to get the last few. So not attaching too many to the first few members is probably the way to go so that you get some success with the later party members.

A workaround for you might be to release a few rare cores you aren't using on Rex and Nia, and that you want on somebody else, this will increase the chances back up. Ofc it's all RNG, so this is conjecture.
  • Armoured_Bear 10 Dec 2017 00:10:33 20,656 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just spent a few hours on this, only still in Chapter 2 but loving it.
    Love the cut scenes, voice acting is great in the same way as the first one was andante combat has the feel of the first one.
  • chrisno21 10 Dec 2017 07:10:37 1,856 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thanks for the advice, I just got a couple rares and a bunch of commons but the rares make combat switching more fun.
  • Page

of 15 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.