Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Page 12

• Page

of 16 First / Last

• ChiefGB 3 Dec 2017 17:13:23 7,399 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I didn't mean it was like x to play, I meant that x released to critical acclaim, then over time many recognised it was maybe a bit too indulgent and opinions fell down somewhat. I wonder if the same will befall this, I was still going to buy it but I think already it's a game I possibly won't see through to the end despite not even opening.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 3 Dec 2017 17:17:06 2,124 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @ChiefGB I still have really mixed feelings on X. Reduce the grind requirement, give the combat a slightly more tactile feel and make a few improvements to the dialogue scripts and it could have been a stone cold classic. None of those would have required really major changes to the game, but without them, it is infuriating as often as it is astounding.
  • Daryoon 3 Dec 2017 18:47:58 5,910 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It's always worth remembering that the Xenoblade games are only mid-tier in terms of budget. They don't get the time, focus or resources of games like BotW. If they did, I imagine a lot of their rougher edges would be smoothed out a bit.
  • Rusty_M 3 Dec 2017 19:01:55 6,753 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Struggling to find the route to the shipyard at the moment. Can't get the distance count below about 700.
  • Duffking 3 Dec 2017 19:21:28 14,937 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Have you found the timber camp or whatever it's called warp point? It's north from there. If you haven't found that one, head north west from the town and look for a large branch that forms a route up instead of along the regular ground level.
  • ghearoid 3 Dec 2017 19:35:02 2,712 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Rusty_M I couldn't find that for a while, then I thought about going to the "rear" of the Titan and how I could see its head so I just walked alongside its back and made my way to the shipyard that way.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 3 Dec 2017 19:35:25 2,794 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ror wrote:
    @One_Vurfed_Gwrx Thanks. My order was placed on November 21st, so I hope they can get a copy dispatched to me soon :(
    It is odd yours isn't shipped as my delay email very sepcifically said they were being sent out in order of order dates.
  • GloatingSwine 3 Dec 2017 22:19:03 3,619 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Rogueywon Combat in this one feels more satisfying than X already, and I'm not all that far in yet. There's a nice bassy thump when you hit things (and it's useful to time arts to when the screen is too chaotic to follow), and more things are based on timings now not waiting for cooldowns. (Or at least the cooldowns are reified into things that charge up as you thump enemies and then reward you for timing them properly).

The world is more creatively bananas than X as well. X was like "the grassy bit, the forest bit, the desert bit, the snow bit, and the volcano bit", which is like a guided tour of videogame levels since time immemorial.

Whereas XC2 is back to the grand and bonkers designs of the first one. I'm on my way up to a grand cathedral city inside a whale and everything is mostly purple and there was a sunset shining in through the damn blowhole a bit ago.

Not sure how grindy it will end up, you can get loads of Blades and they each have growth trees of varying complexity but you level them up mostly by Doing Things (like using a certain move a few times). Improving all the settlement levels and such might be a mission, but it depends how much money you can get in the later part.
  • ghearoid 3 Dec 2017 23:30:12 2,712 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Got another rare blade, Gorg. Unfortunately, I was blade bonding for Nia who already has a water blade. I really wanted him for Rex as he's ATK and he doesn't have a water blade yet. Ah well, you win some, you lose some.

Finally got the hang of toppling and getting Rex and Pyra to level IV with their special.

Ooh, I'm getting in deep! :)
  • Ror 3 Dec 2017 23:42:59 16,743 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    One_Vurfed_Gwrx wrote:
    Ror wrote:
    @One_Vurfed_Gwrx Thanks. My order was placed on November 21st, so I hope they can get a copy dispatched to me soon :(
    It is odd yours isn't shipped as my delay email very sepcifically said they were being sent out in order of order dates.
    Yeah, that's obviously bollocks then :)

I'm wondering if they'll just leave me til last because I contacted them. Which sounds backwards, but they might think, "Well, that customer contacted us and we informed them it'll be the 6th, so they'll get it then."

:(
  • Rusty_M 4 Dec 2017 07:19:08 6,753 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I love everything about this so far apart from getting lost, the backtracking and some of the character designs
  • Graxlar_v3 4 Dec 2017 07:31:54 774 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    spent about 3 hours running around looking for specific items for side quests in the first proper area. Then had to spend all my money to finish another :/ hope I can get money back again now as I am poor.
  • Darren 4 Dec 2017 07:40:42 9,500 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I never played the first Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii - I think I sold the console by that point having gotten fed up of the waggle factor - and although I bought Xenoblade Chronicles X on the Wii U and initially enjoyed it, the lack of interesting characters and plot meant I never really got into it beyond a few hours of play.

I'm glad to say though that I've been thoroughly enjoying Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on my Switch for numerous reasons but the main ones are that I like the characters so far, an interesting if clichéd bunch, and the story is great too such that I am actually paying attention to it rather than skipping through dialogue. I think the game is well-written but lots of humour (especially from the Blades) and the main character, Rex, is very well voice-acted IMO as are the majority of the other characters. Although I've downloaded the Japanese voice pack I have not felt the need to switch to it as the English voices, lip synching aside, is absolutely fine. There's the usual abundance of cuteness (and unfeasibly large breasts) that you expect from a J-RPG but I don't mind that.

Graphically the game looks stunning too IMO. Sure, the resolution in handheld mode can look alarmingly soft and low-resolution at times (especially during combat and special moves) but the amount of detail on show is impressive considering the hardware it is running on. The art style is gorgeous IMO. There is some slowdown here and there but nothing that is worse than Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Docked the game looks much better and it's interesting to play this alongside the Star Ocean: The Last Hope remaster (on PC) because this game is much better in almost all aspects.

The world feels busy and alive and the transition between exploration and combat is pretty much seamless except for boss encounters. There's plenty of attention to detail too in the environments which isn't always true of J-RPGs. This does lead to my first issue with the game though: it's far too easy to get lost and the useless map doesn't help nor does the unhelpful quest marker on the minimap. It tells you how far you are from your objective and whether it is above or below you but the complex level design means that it can be infuriating working out how to actually get there. Twice I've had to consult a walkthrough to work out where it is I'm supposed to go.

It is all too easy to miss a path to another area and this isn't helped by the second problem I have with this game which is the placement of high level enemies in areas you often have to traverse. I found myself frequently getting killed at level 10-15 because a level 75 enemy spotted me and one-hit killed me as I attempted to run away. Infuriatingly, you respawn at the last Landmark (this game's equivalent of an auto-checkpoint) but any collectibles and, I believe, experience earned are lost. I often spent 15-30 minutes grinding enemies only to get one-hit killed and reset to the last checkpoint.

At one point, I decided to forgo the main story to explore the open world when I only had Rex and his Blade, Pyra. Big mistake! The game is very punishing in the early stages and I've since found that it is better to just stick to the main story quests, where you have 1 or 2 companions also with there own Blades, or just wait to explore when you have a party of 2 or 3. It is far less annoying and the further you get into the game then the easier is it is avoid dying, especially during bigger fights with multiple enemies as your party can revive you (and you them just by pressing A).

One oddity with this game is that the boss fights so far (I'm 30 hours in and on Chapter 4) have been surprisingly easy and I've yet to fail a single one. In comparison, I've died more times during that early exploration stage when I was soloing it. I'm not sure if it's because I'm 2 or 3 levels higher than I would be otherwise (I managed to level up a few times despite dying a lot) or if the boss fights really are just easy. Either way, it means I have been able to really enjoy the game without getting too stressed out over boss encounters as I typically do in many other J-RPGs.

The combat itself is excellent IMO. Real-time, which I like, fast and generally pretty hectic and exciting, although they do last longer than most other J=RPGs some of which can have battles that last a few seconds if you are levelled up enough. Here even when you are 10 levels above the enemies their high HP means that battles can last from a minute to 10 minutes. I don't mind that personally and I've found that I can easily avoid combat if I want to and just head for the next Landmark (checkpoint) instead to move the story on. I do not think you need to grind in this game, although it may help make those bosses a bit easier and combat in general I bit less stressful if you do some of the sidequests and do a bit of grinding from time to time.

Finally, I have to say that the music is great (as is the voice-over as I said earlier) but the sound effects during combat are not only repetitive in the extreme (oh god, these Imperial soldiers just drive me nuts with their "You think you can take me!!!" every two seconds) but also of a poor sound quality and can cut out if there's too much going on, which is very noticeable when played with earphones in.

Great game though. It's just that poor map and confusing quest points that let it down along with the sub-par sound effects and battle narration (which you can at least reduce the volume of thankfully).
  • Darren 4 Dec 2017 07:51:35 9,500 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    P.S. Forgot to mention much about the Blades but you get to be able to create new ones. I believe they are random but with unique ones that crop up from time to time, usually with rare cores but also with common ones too, and they all (so far) seem to have individual names and voices. Some are very amusing and you can tell this when you get the chance to send them on missions later on. This is quite a cool feature, similar to the one in Metal Gear Solid 5: Phantom Pain, and allows you to form stronger bonds with Blades which you otherwise don't use much in the game itself.

Surprisingly, there is a lot of depth to the Blades which you only find out from checking through their stats. For example, during one quest you have to track someone down. You can do this in two ways, by following footprints (which I couldn't see myself) or by following a Witcher 3-like red trail using a Blade's tracking ability. Up to that point I hadn't even realised that the Blades were that unique as many of them do have a generic male or female look to them, just with different weapons and so on.

Not sure how useful this is to the game overall but even if it's not then it's a nice bonus feature that allows you to complete side quests without actually having to do them yourself (at least that's how I think it works; someone correct me if I'm wrong).
  • Darren 4 Dec 2017 07:58:29 9,500 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Scimarad wrote:
    Also, am I supposed to be starting fights with all those monsters? Because they seem to be inoffensively minding their own business other than the big frog guy.
    It's like an MMORPG in that respect. You get some enemies that are passive (presumably vegetarian?) and others that aren't and will attack you on sight. Knowing which are and which aren't is part of the fun of the game as there are some areas with what look like high level enemies that you think you need to avoid but which turn out to be passive allowing to pass them without being attacked. Of course, you can attack them if you want to earn XP and in the early stages this is often a good way to learn the combat system as you aren't likely to get overwhelmed by enemies and can mop them up one by one. You still have to be careful though in some areas where there are flying enemies (which are usually a much higher level than the surrounding ground-based enemies) or larger "alpha" enemies which will attack you when they see you (since they have set patrol routes and you are constantly moving during combat).

It's all great fun though. I don't ever remember X being this enjoyable, although now I've got into this game I might return to the Wii U game and see if I can now get into that as well.
  • Darren 4 Dec 2017 08:01:14 9,500 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Put another 2 hours into this. I generally like it, but my god I wish the controls were a little more responsive. There's just something "off" about them. It's not quite input lag, but there's a rubberiness to them that's really disconcerting.
    The Salvaging mini-game seems to be a bit annoying in that regard. You have to press a button three times to get a "perfect" salvage/treasure but I've found it near impossible to get the first button press right. I've done it once or twice in about two dozen salvages so far so I don't know if it's the controller not detecting the button press correctly there (since they work fine on the second and third QTE) or if it's just me being useless. The salvaging is optional though and, to be honest, not that much fun so it's no great loss.
  • Duffking 4 Dec 2017 08:34:32 14,937 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 you should never have to spend cash on side quests, there's always a way to do it for free
  • Duffking 4 Dec 2017 08:35:18 14,937 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I spent a out an hour salvaging last night and made a million gold, so that was fun.
  • Graxlar_v3 4 Dec 2017 08:47:39 774 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    @Duffking There is a side quest where you need to buy all the items in this shop then spend 7,200 on a deed or something. There didnt seem to be another way of getting this.

It was called paying it forward.

Edited by Graxlar_v3 at 08:48:11 04-12-2017
  • Duffking 4 Dec 2017 08:50:04 14,937 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh that one. Well that's just to teach you about the mechanic to be fair.

You don't need to buy *all* the items fwiw, just one of each. I've bought a few so far and some have had really good bonuses, one got me +10% gold from battles.
  • Graxlar_v3 4 Dec 2017 08:51:12 774 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Yeah, i only bought one of each :) i only had about 10k cos i stupidly sent the 90k to my invisible family.
  • Duffking 4 Dec 2017 09:00:43 14,937 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I kind of assumed you had to do that to be honest.
  • Graxlar_v3 4 Dec 2017 09:01:50 774 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    They did give you a choice, so i assumed you didn't have too.
  • Duffking 4 Dec 2017 09:50:08 14,937 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    From what I can tell from googling, it's mandatory. Maybe they don't let you continue until you do.
  • neems 4 Dec 2017 09:57:09 3,561 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3

How could you not send your poor starving family that money you MONSTER.

Young people these days, off gallivanting with Titans and ancient blades dressed like... well i'll not say it but if I had tried to leave the house looking like that my mother would have tanned my hide.
  • Graxlar_v3 4 Dec 2017 10:01:38 774 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    @neems I did send the money, i am saying i wish i hadn't.
  • Kostabi 4 Dec 2017 10:50:48 5,902 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Money does seem to be pretty easy to come by though. I haven't sold anything other than a few 'sets' of items to a merchant and I think I have around 30k at the start of Chapter 3.
  • neems 4 Dec 2017 10:55:56 3,561 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3

Well that's even worse, I'd hate to think we were an imposition.
  • ghearoid 4 Dec 2017 11:20:31 2,712 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I've ended up with quite a bit of money through salvaging and battling. I don't think I've sold anything yet either apart from that bit in the beginning. Most of the side quests I've completed needed items I already had in my inventory.

So many shops!
  • Graxlar_v3 4 Dec 2017 12:21:08 774 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    has anyone else found themselves auto running off the edge of a salvage point?
  • Page

of 16 First / Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.